PDA

View Full Version : Fun workouts

Mariks_Dragon
07-15-2010, 02:54 PM
What I like to do as a work out. I love to dance, I have learned a lot of different dances. A couple from different animes and a couple from lady gaga. So on my ipod I have a dance mix, with all the songs for those dances. I start at one song and go all the way through them. Its just a lot of fun.

The Hag
07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
DDR. Just Dance.

89th_Alice
07-15-2010, 10:20 PM
DDR is always a good one, but not everyone has it ; )

Try practicing the dance routine of a PV you like, many of them take much more stamnia than you think. Not to mention You'll have to do it 500times over when you are still learning them ;D

Or alternatively, just but a few danceable numbers on your mp3, screw up the volume and dance like an idiot. Just like when you were like 10 years old, pretending to be a super star xD Just... make sure no one can walk in on you/the curtains are closed because you WILL look like an idiot.

Mariks_Dragon
07-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah I like learning a dance working on it till i get it right. I just finished learning the dance from lady gaga's telephone

H0TARU
07-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Still learning the "Bad Apple" Dance from Touhou =_= Boy, are there alot of jumping to do...
Has anybody tried a kickboxing exercize?

Mariks_Dragon
07-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Yeah I do tae bo as well, plus belly dancing

H0TARU
07-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah I do tae bo as well, plus belly dancing

Cool OwO
I've tried belly dancing... but found out, I'm just not capable of moving like that. Lol

Mariks_Dragon
07-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Cool OwO
I've tried belly dancing... but found out, I'm just not capable of moving like that. Lol
Yeah its hard when you first start. but it gets easier over time

Lycorisa
07-16-2010, 01:51 AM
do the haruhi dance 10 times each day. xD lol

fadedsunrise02
07-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Has anybody tried a kickboxing exercize?

I go to a shadowboxing group exercise class at 24 hour fitness. The instructor is awesome! Sadly she's been away for quite a while =/

Chirudesu
07-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Three words: Flirty. Girl. Fitness.

It's a fitness dvd set that basically, you dance kind of sexy, but MAN it burns good and you learn to dance well (okay, not for the young or those who don't want to come off as skanky and such) but it's mostly booty shaking and like club dancing. I stop before it gets too sexual (like the chair/pole dancing, TOO MUCH)

I learn Korean pop dance moves from music videos. Soo fun and tiring!

Sakurairis
07-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Hahaha I have a playlist on Youtube I just pu on and rock out to. I know 80% of the dance to GaGa's 'Bad Romance'

Kasinator
07-16-2010, 08:37 AM
hip hop abs is a great dance/exercise video thing to do. the DVDs aren't cheap though. >:\

Hey what do ya know look what I found (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JwLGWApvCk&feature=related).

For those what want the DDR route, but do not have a console, go to you local game store and look for a dance pad with usb. Download stepmaina- a free DDR clone for your pc, then download your favorite songs made for the game and go to town! :D

Mariks_Dragon
07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I am excited I am going to school in August. and I am taking a ballroom class. yeah

bladesworn
07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
On the weekend I like to play play video games.

All day long.

While on a treadmill.

Set at a speed of 2.0 it's just like walking all day at a con. Every half hour I put the controller down and turn up the speed so I can run for at least fifteen minutes. I then proceed to do as many push-ups and/or jump squats (it helps to make your kicks look better when cosplaying those types of characters) I usually grab a snack get back onto the treadmill and start playing video games again.

I also have a gave I play with my brother, that is very tiring, but very fun. Though I would only suggest doing this with someone you trust completely.

Find a place littered with large branches, pick one up and then use it to try and break the branch the other person is holding. If one breaks, quickly pick up another one and get back to it.

stinkulousreddo
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Honestly, the best exercise in the universe is jumproping. Do it while you watch tv! X]

PhDPepper
07-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Chucking Tires and smashing a Keg on the ground, Rocky Balboa Style is actually kind of a stress reliever.

Tabby Catty
07-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I listen to my megaman and Journey to Silius soundtracks while running on a treadmill. I swear, I would get bored to death without them.

F. Silverberg
07-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Am I the only one who thinks pullups are fun?

Braithcakes
07-17-2010, 12:07 PM
the problem with DDR is you wont lose any weight with it unless you are actually like...moving around.

alot of people think just stepping on the things will help, not much more than walking, really.

:D

swimming is fun and good excersize :D

[кαzυмι]
07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
The Dance I Like To Do For Fun Is Kero9Destiny :3 :heart:
I'm Still Learning It Though. :dance:
& Since School Is Going To Start I Have Gym
We Normally Run In Gym Or Whatever . . . :spinner:

hourqueen
07-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Wii Fit is fun. And It's actually a really good work out (depending on what exercises you do). I lost a lot of weight with it.

Chirudesu
07-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes! Wii Fit is awesomee~ I love the hula-hoop and the obstacle course.

The Hag
07-17-2010, 05:30 PM
the problem with DDR is you wont lose any weight with it unless you are actually like...moving around.

Set it to Standard or Heavy. You'll move around! XD

I personally found Wii Fit to be dull. I don't like the creepy CGI trainers and I feel like I get a better cardio workout from DDR and Just Dance. But I only have the first Wii Fit. I'd be interested to hear from people who have Wii Fit Plus or some of the cardio specific versions. Any improvements over the original?

~LOU~
07-17-2010, 05:42 PM
ZUMBA is fun ~ but you'd have to get to a gym to do the program.
I'm not positive if they make DVDs that you can buy for it.
You get aobut 15 songs ( I think ), including a warm-up and cool-down.
You dance with a whole group, which makes it even more fun. : )

DavinDaLilAzn
07-18-2010, 12:35 AM
DDR is a great cardio workout IF you can play on higher Standard Songs or Heavy 7+. ;-) Also, try to go for the higher BPMs, 170+
There was a player from back home who had lost a lot of weight playing DDR, but he was also one of the best players.
If you have access to an actual machine, play it as much as you can afford. If possible, talk to the arcade manager and see if you can workout something where they can make it cheaper for you if they know you're gonna be playing a lot and using it as a workout.
If that's not an option, as someone else has said, download StepMania for the PC and buy a pad. IF you can afford a metal pad ($200ish), get it. The softpads weren't meant to be played on higher difficulties (which is where you need to be for a good cardio workout).

My favorite songs back in the day (Extreme was the last one I played hardcore), Speed Over Beethoven (H), A (H), Sakura (C), Love <3 Shine (H), Tsugaru (Apple Mix), Cow Girl (H). All these songs, except Cow Girl are in the higher BPMs. I just liked Cow Girl for all the gallops, you'll feel it in your legs the next morning... >.<

jiandan0611
07-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Excellent list! I've learned more from this forum in about 2 days than I have at any other forum community.

fadedsunrise02
07-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Am I the only one who thinks pullups are fun?

Pullups WOULD be fun. IF I could do any T____T
The benefit to being big and tall-more absolute strength
The downside to being big and tall-much harder to reach the pullup T___T

89th_Alice
07-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Three words: Flirty. Girl. Fitness.

It's a fitness dvd set that basically, you dance kind of sexy, but MAN it burns good and you learn to dance well (okay, not for the young or those who don't want to come off as skanky and such) but it's mostly booty shaking and like club dancing. I stop before it gets too sexual (like the chair/pole dancing, TOO MUCH)

Ahahahaha, this is really amusing. The sheer wrongness makes it all the more fun, and you really do get a good workout.

Airst
07-18-2010, 05:58 AM
I do rock climbing.

It's very good for strength and is very fun.
I don't advise doing it the week of a convention though. you usually get various cuts/grazes and bruises when working on more difficult walls.

F. Silverberg
07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Pullups WOULD be fun. IF I could do any T____T
The benefit to being big and tall-more absolute strength
The downside to being big and tall-much harder to reach the pullup T___T

I couldn't do pullups either at the beginning (well, wide grip pullups, I could always do reverse grip pullups after I had lost my weight), had to build up to it.

fadedsunrise02
07-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I couldn't do pullups either at the beginning (well, wide grip pullups, I could always do reverse grip pullups after I had lost my weight), had to build up to it.

Ach, I can't even go a little bit up at all. No matter what type we're talking. I'd like to say its because I still don't understand how to use my muscles right, or because I'm not strong enough...but i don't know and its frustrating @_@ (esp since I can do a *lot* of pushups)

F. Silverberg
07-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Ach, I can't even go a little bit up at all. No matter what type we're talking. I'd like to say its because I still don't understand how to use my muscles right, or because I'm not strong enough...but i don't know and its frustrating @_@ (esp since I can do a *lot* of pushups)

No, actually, this was the same for me too in the beginning, and it was like this the entire time actually until I could "magically" do them...weird...

Pushups focus on a different set of muscle groups than pullups, so they're not too closely related.

What you can do to build up to them are:

-Dumbbell rows
-Australian Pullups (these are easier than real pullups)
-Bicep work
-Negative reps or assisted pullups, but you might not be able to do these yet either...so you can work on the above first.

It's pretty frustrating, the entire process, but when you can do you first legit, unassisted, pullup, it's a pretty awesome feeling.

lunaladyoflight
07-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm trying Zumba. As a dancer, I think it'll be a lot better than doing a treadmill or stationary bike.

Kasinator
07-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm trying Zumba. As a dancer, I think it'll be a lot better than doing a treadmill or stationary bike.

The less you use machines for cardio the better in my opinion especially if you keep changing directions. Confusing the body always elevates the heart rate.

89th_Alice
07-19-2010, 09:04 AM
The less you use machines for cardio the better in my opinion especially if you keep changing directions. Confusing the body always elevates the heart rate. I also think it isn't really needed. Running/cycling outside is a lot more fun as well, changing scenery is just so much nicer to look at.

I've been bugging a friend of mine to lend me his racebike for over an week now, so that I can go for a several hours long trip into the unknown :D (I tend to not plan where I go, even when going on 3-4 hour trips)

Airst
07-19-2010, 10:10 AM

I've tried this with my friend the other day.

I found it rather fun as somone with practiacally no dance skills other than DDR. My friend who does Salsa dancing didn't really enjoy it that much though.

irriadin
07-19-2010, 10:40 AM

If you are doing five-foot difficulty songs, then yea, you aren't going to lose much weight. But once you start tackling 8 foot songs and above, you'll find it can be VERY difficult.

Over the course of about 3.5 years I've gone from a total n00b to getting an A on 11 footers with no bar. And let me tell you, I sweat profusely after the end of my workout. Using DDR and being more careful with my diet, I've lost 25 pounds.

I love DDR because it is very fun and accessible. Most forms of cardio are insanely boring to me (running for 45 minutes on a treadmill makes me want to end myself).

Megumi_Ai
07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I dance a lot of times not DDR but I do to Hare Hare Yukai, Lucky Star theme or any anime with a dance on them like the Season 2 Rosario + Vampire Op DISCOTHEQUE, and some Mermaid Melody songs get me moving too.

Mariks_Dragon
07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
I dance a lot of times not DDR but I do to Hare Hare Yukai, Lucky Star theme or any anime with a dance on them like the Season 2 Rosario + Vampire Op DISCOTHEQUE, and some Mermaid Melody songs get me moving too.

Yeah I love to do the Hare Hare dance and Lucky Star

PSY-chan
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
I just bought a Bollywood dance workout DVD. It seems fun for dancer types and there are several different workouts available.

tarinalove
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Currently learning Alejandro choreography (chorus line) by Lady Gaga, and it's relatively easy. Except this one part, where you go into a lunge and pivot your hip and twist your arm. It just looks/feels weird! ><"
I'll get it though.

And I agree, dancing is one of my favorite work out techniques. I can do it for hours.

But I'm looking for something that'll give me a flatter stomach without doing crunches or sit ups. I'm fine with alternate styles just not the school oriented ones! Those really hurt my spine.

distantarray
07-23-2010, 05:44 PM

not sure if your a woman or not, but women generally have a hard time doing pull ups unassisted. The upper body strength is really hard to build to support your own weight. If your having problems try practicing negatives, cause you can't lift up, doesn't mean you can't drop down slowly, and you can also use a chair to support your lift with one leg on the chair giving yourself a little room to cheat til you build up your muscles. by no means start doing kippling pull ups with a door frame pull up bar lol do a nice slow motion going down, and lightly use your leg to help push yourself up. It takes time but you'll get there. At first I could only do 5, I'm upto 20+ now 30 was my best.

lawliet.
07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
For me, I just turn off all the lights in my room, grab a flashlight, blare some Gaga, and rave. For hours. xD

fadedsunrise02
07-23-2010, 11:12 PM
not sure if your a woman or not, but women generally have a hard time doing pull ups unassisted. The upper body strength is really hard to build to support your own weight. If your having problems try practicing negatives, cause you can't lift up, doesn't mean you can't drop down slowly, and you can also use a chair to support your lift with one leg on the chair giving yourself a little room to cheat til you build up your muscles. by no means start doing kippling pull ups with a door frame pull up bar lol do a nice slow motion going down, and lightly use your leg to help push yourself up. It takes time but you'll get there. At first I could only do 5, I'm upto 20+ now 30 was my best.

Yup I am a woman. And I'm heavy to boot, with most of my muscle in my legs x_x;

I think I'll try going at a less crowded hour of the gym, and using the tallest jump box as a "chair".

distantarray
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Yup I am a woman. And I'm heavy to boot, with most of my muscle in my legs x_x;

I think I'll try going at a less crowded hour of the gym, and using the tallest jump box as a "chair".

if you workout at a gym they should have an assisted pull up bar? or pull downs are pretty much the same pretty basic machines at most gyms? :confused:

fadedsunrise02
07-24-2010, 12:33 AM
if you workout at a gym they should have an assisted pull up bar? or pull downs are pretty much the same pretty basic machines at most gyms? :confused:

I do the pulldowns, and its the most helpful thing. The assisted pullup bar is weird o_o; And I've read that it doesn't actually help you get your pullup? I mean, I did all the assisting and related exercises I could think of for pushups, and I didn't start to get it until I did pushup negatives, however little I did in the beginning.

Adorima
07-24-2010, 12:35 AM
You kind of have to have 3 or more people to do this one, but in my karate class we had this exercise where we tie a rope to our ankles and braid it by doing "jump-pushups" over one another. Lol, did that make sense? It really helped with upper body strength, and you kind of wiped out if you didn't catch your fall with a push-up

Another karate exercise was doing explosive, not slow, lunges while giving your partner a piggy back ride.

Wheel barrell races are always fun. I miss Karate.

SilverSteam
07-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Most forms of cardio are insanely boring to me (running for 45 minutes on a treadmill makes me want to end myself).

oh god i know how that feels! most the time i put on rave music put on my exercise clothes and dance until i fall over from exhaustion (kinda) then i get up....and do it again! :P i am so lame!

distantarray
07-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I do the pulldowns, and its the most helpful thing. The assisted pullup bar is weird o_o; And I've read that it doesn't actually help you get your pullup? I mean, I did all the assisting and related exercises I could think of for pushups, and I didn't start to get it until I did pushup negatives, however little I did in the beginning.

The problem I see with assisted pull ups is people let it assist too MUCH :p general rule of thumb if you do a 3 second up and 3 second down on assisted pull up and those don't hurt, lower the weights to make it harder (kinda funny cause this is probably one of the only exercises where you can lower the weights and workout harder lol)

but then again most people have terrible form when it comes to assisted pull ups as well, when you pull up you should look like your doing a PULL UP unassisted. if not your form is bad. If you've read that it doesn't actually help I can assure you that's from user error. If your back gets sore, if your back gets tired it's working. On the assisted pull up people also tend to do too many reps in a set.

There is two kinds of muscle hypertrophy. Myofibullar (strength) and Sarcoplasmic (endurance). When your trying to build up strength it's a better ideal to hit no more than 10 reps each. I'd probably say 6-8 is better. This will stimulate more strength development than high weights low reps. IMO if your lifting weights anything past 15-20 reps in a single set is not really going to do much. You should be lifting weights to create muscle. Although you can turn weight training into building muscle and cardio workout at the sametime by dropsetting, and or hiit training. (high intensity interval training) which is basically giving yourself minimal rest inbetween sets usually 30seconds to 1 minute not allowing your heart rate up :bigtu: Til recently this is all I did and I was able to drop my body fat % from 25 to 10% in about 4months with better dieting (not really crazy diet either just better portions and avoiding a few things)

oh god i know how that feels! most the time i put on rave music put on my exercise clothes and dance until i fall over from exhaustion (kinda) then i get up....and do it again! :P i am so lame!

try hiit weight training like mentioned earlier in this post, and also that's great you get back up =p but have you ever done something so much that you CAN"T get up? lol on ab workout days few times I over did it soo much where I couldn't literally sit up out of bed in the morning. I'd have to roll off the bed and kick myself up lol. Although it was probably a bad idea cause i would've nose dived into the floor if that failed...

fadedsunrise02
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Hmm, ok, I will have another go at the assisted pull up machine. I mostly do lift to 6-8 reps(and then spend a couple weeks focusing on circuits/supersets) in my other exercises. I was just rather miffed at how to get good exercises to build pull up strength.

Maranatha
07-24-2010, 02:44 PM
For me, I just turn off all the lights in my room, grab a flashlight, blare some Gaga, and rave. For hours. xD

I definitely agree to this way of exercising.

azyryan
07-24-2010, 11:36 PM
me too ^^ loves me some lady gaga. can't help but start dancing to it ha ha.
on that note what are some artists/songs that have infectious beats like that? I have a few random songs I like to dance too, but besides gaga what are others?

a600hz
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
I just had the best work of ever xD I pushed my 3 ton mustang back to my house from a mile away.. It was great ;_; ... Now I have to fix it ;_____; Ahhhh.... *sniffle*

Maranatha
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I have been looking for music like that forever! Fortunately, there is a ton of techno out there that is great for dance, like Basshunter. OneRepublic and Postal Service are pretty fun, too.

Bealzabub
07-26-2010, 12:15 AM
In addition to DDR and Wii Fit, I love dancing. Copying the stuff from anime, video game and esp. CATS. XD

jounink
07-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Cardio Kickboxing (GREAT WORKOUT)
Salsa Dancing
Water football/basketball/hockey etc (u need teams of course)

distantarray
07-27-2010, 03:23 AM
swing dance although you pretty much have to be in decent shape and often have to find a girl smaller than you lol

Tabby-chan
07-27-2010, 04:36 AM
i love to dance but im too shy and someone is always home DX ive tried going into another room and shutting the door but the only other rooms to go in is bedrooms and bathroomds.. not much room at all to learn dances..

Lady Valentine
07-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Jumping on a trampoline!

There's this place called Sky High a few cities over from where I live and they have TRAMPOLINE DODGEBALL! Best thing ever! LOL.

I really get a workout just jumping on a trampoline and doing flips and stuff. I can feel my thighs burn! And it's fun!

SuzuStarlight
07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Doesn't it depend on your personal taste what is a 'fun' workout? :D

What I love most is dancing, martial arts (used to do Karate ages ago- anyone tried tae bo? We did that at school, so much fun xD) and team sports such as basketball or handball.

Copying anime dances is usually fun to cosplayers, it comes in handy at cons, too (there's at least one caramelldansen event at every con here in Germany). If you have a suitable cosplay, it's even double-fun ^____^

H0TARU
08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Do Zack Fair's squat exercises from Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core. Test yourself on how fast or how much of if you can do. It's just a regular squat, but hey it's a FF character exercising~