PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help finding a pattern for war of 1812 uniform

Dart:Dense Boy
07-16-2010, 11:22 AM
My wonderful fiancee has asked me to make him a tunic for his 1812 reenactments. Problem is when I look it up I can't seem to find one style but several :/

Doesn't anyone know where I might be able to find a pattern for the tunics?

Much thanks!

Berzerker_prime
07-17-2010, 03:36 AM
You might need to narrow things down a little more. You're looking at a time period where we begin to have a lot more reference for what individual units of the military wore. Contrary to popular belief not every unit of the same army had exactly the same uniform. In the Civil War, for example, there were actually units on the Union side who wore gray uniforms, believe it or not.

I'd say start by having him do a little more research. What style of tunic did they wear in the unit he is trying to portray? That is the question you need to answer first. Then, you go searching for the pattern that is the closest.

Of course, all bets are off if he's portraying a civilian. In which case, you just ask him which one he likes best.

Kelley
07-20-2010, 05:42 AM
By 'tunic', do you mean 'shirt' ? Sorry, I haven't done any specific War of 1812 work so I'm a bit lost.

You really do need to narrow it down, though - I mean, which nation ? What branch of the military ? Rank ? Which uniform (combat, dress ??) ?

And, as said already, it can be varied further - so that's important to know if the group is supposed to portray a specific regiment or whatnot.

Ironhill
08-22-2010, 09:35 PM
You might want to look at the Osprey Military books. They have good info on period uniforms and include color drawings. Then look at historical period patterns from sources like Reconstructing History. See if you can modify a historical pattern into the uniform top you like. That's how I'm making my Revoluntary War uniform.

WilwarinAndamar
08-25-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.warof1812.ca/uniforms.htm

I have to agree that you'll need to be more specific. Which military and what rank?