PDA

View Full Version : How can I get an hourglass figure?

pinapplegum
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
I know losing weight has a lot to do with it, but I also suspect there might be certain muscles you can tone to create a more hourglass shape.

I say this because in every belly dancing video I have ever seen, all the women have gorgeous hourglasses. Does anybody know if bellydancing or another type of workout can help create this figure?

I'm 100% okay with my body as it is, but it would help me in cosplaying.

fadedsunrise02
07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought whether one had hourglass proportions was in the end, genetic? ^^;;

I mean, when hourglasses gain weight, they mostly end up being bigger hourglasses.

Losing weight has to do with thinning your waist, but its more important to lose fat-especially if you're like me and horde 80% of your fat in your midsection.

Makira
07-16-2010, 12:05 PM
You can tone your body out as much as you want, but it also depends on your bone structure. Hips and the such help with the hourglass figure and that's obviously something that can't just be easily fixed. I know a lot of girls who are thin but still don't have that "hourglass" shape to them. I'm 102lbs and I *barely* have one :(.

Also keep in mind they aren't going to have someone in those belly dancing videos that isn't some sort of "perfect." It wouldn't be "motivational" if they had girls dancing with no curves.

But my advise is to just keep working out and eat healthy. Those dancing videos are actually fantastic because they tend to work so much of your body, and (in my opinion) is much more fun then going to a gym and worrying about leaning on someone else's sweat *twitch* Although, I can't go to the gym alone, I feel all... weird. But sometimes my boyfriend will tag along for a run or something and it's much more entertaining.

Kasinator
07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
as long as you understand that important rule of working everything else, you are already on the right track!:bigtu: From there you just need to do A LOT of squats, pushups, pullups. twisting situps are important too. and of course a lot of cardio.

Emrys
07-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't think there are any exercises you can do to get a certain shape, mostly having to do with genetics and your current fitness level. BTW, I knew a girl who did belly dancing, but she was pretty much the same girth around her waist as her hips...

I'm assuming you're asking this b/c you plan on doing a midriff showing cosplay where you can't use slimming undergarments? Belts and skirts can accentuate the hips, but if you are hoping to "shape up" to that figure you won't go anywhere unless you lose weight all over (or gain some weight and muscle or add padding if you are underweight - you never really specified, but people tend to assume someone wants to slim down rather than bulk up).

Mangochutney
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Don't forget that the bellydance costume is engineered to exaggerate the hips and bust, which helps to make the waist look narrower. You may be seeing more hip than the dancers actually have. (Makira is also spot-on. The video producers would have chosen dancers with the ideal bellydance shape, and most people are not built that way. Bone structure is definitely a factor.)

Bellydancing is a good workout and it's fun, but it sounds like a two-prong approach might be useful to you. When you're making a costume, do what the bellydancers do--use your clothing to emphasize your shoulders or bust and your hips. Everything between them will look smaller. It's a trick that fashionable women and men have been using for centuries.

PhDPepper
07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
You can hourglass to a certain extent by building certain muscles while letting other ones shrink.

starting top down, you want a slim neck so you avoid working out the traps in your neck. You still need shoulders to build the top of the hourglass so you need larger deltoid muscles, which are outer shoulders.

Then you need to taper your upper body into kind of an inverted triangle, so your lats will need to grow. These are typically used in pulldown type workouts. Your chest also needs to be brought upward so incline press type workouts help too.

Your waistline needs to slim down so you actually avoid the crunches, oblique stabilizer muscles, and the lower back exercises to shrink this area down. A lot of body fat reduction also comes into play here too.

Your hips, you can build up the hip area by performing squats, one leg squats are also good for filling in the hamstrings and the upper glutes to pull your butt upward for less sag. Then theirs the abductor and adductor machines which are good for building the stabilizer muscles that wrap around your upper part of your legs to sort of flare out your thighs.

I explain stuff in more detail here Link (http://www.cosplay.com/journal/6219/)

pinapplegum
07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
You can hourglass to a certain extent by building certain muscles while letting other ones shrink.

starting top down, you want a slim neck so you avoid working out the traps in your neck. You still need shoulders to build the top of the hourglass so you need larger deltoid muscles, which are outer shoulders.

Then you need to taper your upper body into kind of an inverted triangle, so your lats will need to grow. These are typically used in pulldown type workouts. Your chest also needs to be brought upward so incline press type workouts help too.

Your waistline needs to slim down so you actually avoid the crunches, oblique stabilizer muscles, and the lower back exercises to shrink this area down. A lot of body fat reduction also comes into play here too.

Your hips, you can build up the hip area by performing squats, one leg squats are also good for filling in the hamstrings and the upper glutes to pull your butt upward for less sag. Then theirs the abductor and adductor machines which are good for building the stabilizer muscles that wrap around your upper part of your legs to sort of flare out your thighs.

I explain stuff in more detail here Link (http://www.cosplay.com/journal/6219/)

Perfect! Just what I was looking for~ :heart:

char99char
07-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Depending on the costume - you can also enhance the hourglass shape with some undergarments - a well padded push up bra or some extra padding in the hips.

Good posture also helps (anyone) a lot. Make sure to stand straight with your shoulders back and tuck the tummy in a bit. :)

Sailor♥Lolita
07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
corsets will give you that hour glass figure and get real ones not those cheap button ones

pinapplegum
07-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Corsets. Hm, good idea. Why didn't I think of that before???

Mariks_Dragon
07-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I think you haft to have the portions to have an hourglass shape

tarinalove
07-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Do side bends.
Arm over head with hand pretending you have a top hat on to "hold it" and bend as far as you can.
Repeat on the other side.

It narrows down your waist and feels good, and works! :} Do it every day and you'll start to see improvements.

Also the perfect, "hourglass" shape, has the same measurements in bust and hips with a tinier waist. And an hourglass shape can be found on any body. See glamour magazine/glamour.com models! They include full figured women :D

PhDPepper
07-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Do side bends.
Arm over head with hand pretending you have a top hat on to "hold it" and bend as far as you can.
Repeat on the other side.

It narrows down your waist and feels good, and works! :} Do it every day and you'll start to see improvements.

Also the perfect, "hourglass" shape, has the same measurements in bust and hips with a tinier waist. And an hourglass shape can be found on any body. See glamour magazine/glamour.com models! They include full figured women :D

Actually you exercise a muscle to make it bigger, not smaller. So the side bends will build up mostly the oblique muscles and expand the waist around where the obliques are. But I'm guessing for women, they want the pinch of the hourglass centered between their shoulders and hips so, this places the pinch probably between the bellybutton and base of the rib cage. To build a smoother transition from hips to waist, the side raises may help a bit to lift the pinch point of the hourglass higher.

I personally don't do side raises though because i don't think i need to build up my obliques any more, but everyones shaped differently.

Kasinator
07-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Freehand jump squats (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/freehand-jump-squat) and Split squats (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/split-squats)

pinapplegum
07-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Freehand jump squats (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/freehand-jump-squat) and Split squats (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/split-squats)

Whoo boy. Those sound like my legs would get tired instantly. I'll try them but... aren't they more of quad building exercises?

Kasinator
07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Thats exactly what you want to do. If you want the appearance of an hourglass figure you want to build the top half and bottom half of your body to create the appearance of shrinkage in your waistline.

89th_Alice
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Corsets. Hm, good idea. Why didn't I think of that before???
Because actual corseting needs to be done right and takes time.
If you can wear a corset under your costume it can really help by just wearing it that time, but for the best results you'll need to do corseting everyday. If you still plan to do that be sure to read up about it though, things can go horribly wrong otherwise.

distantarray
07-18-2010, 10:14 PM
two words corset training, the world's smallest 15 inch waist was achieved through this.

pinapplegum
07-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Because actual corseting needs to be done right and takes time.
If you can wear a corset under your costume it can really help by just wearing it that time, but for the best results you'll need to do corseting everyday. If you still plan to do that be sure to read up about it though, things can go horribly wrong otherwise.

Oh geeze - no thank you on the training bit. I live a healthy active fun lifestyle and I can't see me doing all that in a corset!

KarmaxCore
07-19-2010, 05:59 AM
corsetting is a bit extreme-- any tight body shaper worn 8 hours a day van do this...check out the squeem

Kasinator
07-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Oh geeze - no thank you on the training bit. I live a healthy active fun lifestyle and I can't see me doing all that in a corset!

I'm very glad you realize the potential problems with corsets. :) If you ever want a customized workout set up just for your issue, just PM me.:D

89th_Alice
07-19-2010, 07:50 AM
two words corset training, the world's smallest 15 inch waist was achieved through this. Through YEARS of corset training. Not to mention that a waist that small doesn't really look attractive anymore. And is a health hazard.

Oh geeze - no thank you on the training bit. I live a healthy active fun lifestyle and I can't see me doing all that in a corset!Haha, yes. Although I believe a normal lifestyle is perfectly possible, I doubt an active lifestyle permits corseting :'D

You can still use one for one time only though, it can still take away a few cm/inches when worn just for the occasion. Just... be careful when using them.

distantarray
07-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Through YEARS of corset training. Not to mention that a waist that small doesn't really look attractive anymore. And is a health hazard.

Yes through YEARS of corset training to get a 15 inch waist, but within 6months you could drop it atleast 2 inches I'm sure. It's just requires more effort than people are willing to go through. Also never said it was attractive, but then that's just an opinion. If you also read the articles you'll realize that they made it perfectly clear that there was actually no health hazards with corset training, the corset actually supports your back a great deal, and people who train with corsets tend to have much better posture than people who do not.

People also workout with slimming belts all the time, even oscar de la hoya used them quite frequently, not as hardcore as a corset but similiar non the less.

89th_Alice
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes through YEARS of corset training to get a 15 inch waist, but within 6months you could drop it atleast 2 inches I'm sure. It's just requires more effort than people are willing to go through. Also never said it was attractive, but then that's just an opinion. If you also read the articles you'll realize that they made it perfectly clear that there was actually no health hazards with corset training, the corset actually supports your back a great deal, and people who train with corsets tend to have much better posture than people who do not.
I'm sorry, I guess I went a bit overboard by calling it a health hazard. It does force your internal organs out of the way though, which I doubt is really healthy, but there are a lot of people that are doing this without notable health problems.

What I really wonder about is when you have a waist that tiny, is it still healthy to not wear a corset. While I've read more than once that it is in no way needed to support the body, and that not wearing one wouldn't cause any problems, I still get the distinct idea they would snap in two *shudders*

But I'm getting of topic, I doubt it was the OP's intent to tight-lace to reach sizes like the ones we are talking about right now ^-^;;

pinapplegum
07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Indeed, I do not intend to move my organs around. I never want to end up looking like this:
http://gosmiley.com/eyecatcher/images/smallest_waist.jpg

*shudder*

I have a corset at home and I'm not a big fan of its restrictions. I can't run well, I can't breathe well, I can't bend down to get something without maneuvering awkwardly... I don't see what the whole corset fuss is about. >.>

kkoganei1328
07-21-2010, 08:52 PM
then you want to get a waist cincher and not a full corset. That might help a bit with movement since its only cinching your waist area, which is what you want.

As for organs moving, its actually ok.......its natural that the body to have flexability, or it would be very dangerous when women become pregnant and organs to NOT be able to move around. Organs have to be able to shift somehow when you are pregnant. so if its ok for the baby to shift your insides, why not look good doing it when in a corset/ waist cincher.

LOVEUlquiorra<3
07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Hmmm.... is your cosplay midriff showing? If so, I think it depends on build. I'm 135 lbs, but then again...I'm taller than almost all my family and friends. I also have thicker bones and a little more meat on my waist, thighs, and hips. Body-type does make the cosplay a bit more realistic, but I don't think you should worry too much :) as you've said, you are healthy and happy with your body. Thats all that matters :D

pinapplegum
07-21-2010, 09:10 PM
No, my midriff will not be showing...

And I did my bi-yearly PT test for the Air Force today (and passed very well, I might add), and found out I have a 34 waist and am currently 160 lbs. Good gosh! Sarah needs to lose herself some fat... my waist measurement came up in the 'moderate risk' section of the PT test. :(

89th_Alice
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
For an hourglass figure, it is not as important what your waist size is, more what it is compared to the other two sizes. I was wondering, is the costume we're talking about Princess Peach?

pinapplegum
07-22-2010, 06:08 AM
hahaha, what gave that away? My avatar? XD

89th_Alice
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
And your signature ^^

But If your costume is princess peach then the costume allows for nice manipulation to create an hourglass figure as well! You can make the top part and sleeves nice and puffy, while adding lost of petticoat to the skirt automatically makes that look wider too. Plus the.... darker pink part of her dress (around her waist) helps with creating an hourglass figure well. (Sorry, there is a name for that, but my English is failing me xD)

distantarray
07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
hahaha, what gave that away? My avatar? XD

And your signature ^^

/facepalm this is what I think is the equivalent to where are my sunglasses when your wearing it.... =)

jounink
07-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Bust+waist+hips= body type

Quote's from Wikipedia:
"Hourglass shape. [...] The hip and bust are almost of equal size with a narrow waist.[1] Body fat distribution tends to be around both the upper body and lower body. This body type enlarges the arms, chest, hips and rear before other parts, such as the waist and upper abdomen."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_body_shape

I'm pretty petite, but unless my bust magically grows, i'll never be an hourglass...i'll just stay a bootylicious pear.

"Pear or spoon or bell [...] The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement.[1] The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this bodytype tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, robust thighs and a small(er) bosom.Pear or spoon or bell
The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement.[1] The distribution of fat varies, with fat tending to deposit first in the buttocks, hips and thighs. As body fat percentage increases, an increasing proportion of body fat is distributed around the waist and upper abdomen. The women of this bodytype tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, robust thighs and a small(er) bosom."