PDA

View Full Version : "Sparking" prop idea/help

2DLogic
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Alright, quick run-down: I'm doing Kyo Kusanagi from King of Fighters as my first cosplay for AWA in September. Only thing is, it is a very basic cosplay that's been done tons of times before, to add a little pizazz I thought of trying to integrate some Kusanagi flame into the costume, but LED lighting and fake flame ala Halloween torches would just look silly.

Now I have no false notions of full on fire effects, just a simple spark or two. Basically I'd like to be able to snap my fingers and make a small spark. The way I'm envisioning this is two rings something like a belly dancer's cymbal-rings but with two very small pieces of flint affixed to them so that when I snap my middle and thumb the flint would strike and spark.

Though this will be my first time dressing, I'm no stranger to cosplay and I've never seen anything done like this, which, of course, makes me want to do it more. Just curious what some of you guys with more experience would think about this as far as practicality and the idea in general. Input on how to better make something like this is also appreciated.

Oh, and first post, so... Hi.:wave:

iamawesome
07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Most conventions don't allow fire. Check the rules, or you may get it taken away during the convention. Along time a go people would use rings that made small sparks not sure if you can still buy em over the internet though, my friend ordered one for holleween it was relly cool. Be careful with flint and sparks test it out for awile, and maybe use a unflamable glove.

P.S. Be carefull not to get to close to flamable stuff or boom!
P.S.S. And make sure you check the rules!!!!!

2DLogic
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
It's really less for display during con and more for my own amusement. Though I wouldn't see any problem with having it for outside photos as it would be less dangerous than a standard cigarette lighter.

I've seen the rings like you mentioned, but I'm not looking for anything like that. They either produce a stream of sparks depending on how long the keys are wound or use flash paper. Or are full on pyrotechnics. Those of course would be banned.

What I had in mind would produce one spark at a specific point, between my fingers/palm of my hand. I have leather palmed gloves for the costume, so while not completely inflammable, they are resistant enough for a single spark.

iamawesome
07-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Seems like a good idea, but flint and steel will also make sparks the only problem is that they will set your gloves/every thing they touch go up in flames. I do remember when I was a little girl my dad showed me how to make sparks with flint. Until he set the grass on fire, but we had relly big pieces of flint! I would sugest glueing small pecis of flint on cymble rings. There is allso a way to make sparks with batteries........ I forgot though sorry.

Access
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah look it up on youtube, with a 9-volt battery and some steel wool, or a battery and capacitor and some wires, etc. you can make sparks. Keep your voltages low and don't burn yourself.

Braithcakes
07-16-2010, 03:38 PM
just be careful because generally, you can't control sparks, and if you did it near someone who had alot of spray stuff on or flammable stuff, you could set them on fire >_>

and idk about anybody else, but if somebody set me on fire, I would...try to hurt them D:

2DLogic
07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
just be careful because generally, you can't control sparks, and if you did it near someone who had alot of spray stuff on or flammable stuff, you could set them on fire >_>

Right, which is why I want to keep it small. As far as doing it around someone, that goes back to basic etiquette.

The steel wool/battery looks a bit too extreme, not trying to set anything on fire, just get a little flash to go along with the snap. Battery and capacitors might work if I could find a way to conceal them in the gloves and trigger it at the proper time. Thanks for the input.

cactusmomma
08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Again, check all of the rules for conventions and fire. If you're going to do a side photoshoot, I've seen people use a flame retardant glove/clothing, a tin, and minerals that give off various flame colors. (Kind of like what's used in science class or fireworks.) Please, PLEASE make sure you are taking the correct precautions for doing something dangerous like this!