PDA

View Full Version : Bright idea?

iamawesome
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Instead of wasting $200+ on auto mail arm Iam thinking about using silver body powder. It's mostly used for hollween, but I found some cheap powder for sale in bulk. Has anyone else attemeted this or is it just a horrible idea. Painting on the details with black boddy powder will be the next step after using tons of silver. How does it stand up to rubbing against clothing. Nothing permanet or stuff that won't come off for months, because I have to wear sleaveless costumes afterwards and have to go to school the day after and I don't want to be known as silver arm girl for the rest of the year.

So is this a good idea or should I just try to make a automail arm?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong area for posting this.

Yumei
07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Thats sounds like ALOT of work! Especially at a con everytime you wanna wear that cosplay!
Just putting makeup on my face for cosplays seems to me to take forever!
I would use that as a backup plan if after trying to make automail didn't work out.
I made my automail out of vinyle fabric and plastic that I found at Joanns cost me about 10-15 bucks. I've seen people make it out of cardboard and duct tape and it look good of course it was only like for a one time use. There are a bunch of different tuturoials on how to make automail if you have the time to search one out that fits you.
I've never used body paint and thats only cause I'm terrified of ruining someone's cosplay by accidently rubbing against them. Or ruining con property that would cost me hundreds of dollars to repair! Also I think the paint would have to be water proof cause you do sweat espcially at a con! Somthing that can stand up against crowded rooms and sweat without coming off would seem like a pain to get off when your in a hurry to get into your next costume. I would check out a few tutorials and see if any other ideas on how and out of what to make your automail of come to you

NyuNyu
07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the product you speak of, but painting it on doesn't sound like it would look very realistic. It wouldn't have the 3 dimensionality that Ed's arm has. If cost is your issue, there are less expensive ways to make automail that still looks realistic (look into foam/styrene).

meowl
07-17-2010, 01:35 AM
I've made a couple of automail arms. Using craft foam or vinyl, the cost is not high. Featherweight has a tutorial for making an arm from cardboard. The stuff is cheap and looks good. There are lots of photos on this site to provide guidance. I suggest you make a prop instead of using body powder.