PDA

View Full Version : D. Gray-Man costume construction help?

Sacred_Miko
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello everybody! Um, well, frankly speaking, I'm a complete cosplay noob. That is to say, I usually always just buy my costumes online when I go to conventions. But I wanted to go as a level one akuma from D. Gray-man, and seeing as no one has that costume I was going to try and make it myself. I was reading a whole bunch of tutorials on fun foam and stuff, but I'm just not sure as to what materials would be best to use to make the outer shell/body of the akuma. One person said I should use wire. But how? I'm not sure where to even begin. ^-^'

If anybody could help, absolutely any tips or advice would be greatly and very much appreciated. ^^ Thanks in advance.

If you haven't watched D. Gray Man before, a level one akuma looks like this;

http://media.photobucket.com/image/level%20one%20akuma/shonenjump2993/31ch1-1.jpg

ELunamoon
11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Props to you if you actually do it o_O Especially for it being your first handmade one

liivingdeadgirl
11-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Hello everybody! Um, well, frankly speaking, I'm a complete cosplay noob. That is to say, I usually always just buy my costumes online when I go to conventions. But I wanted to go as a level one akuma from D. Gray-man, and seeing as no one has that costume I was going to try and make it myself. I was reading a whole bunch of tutorials on fun foam and stuff, but I'm just not sure as to what materials would be best to use to make the outer shell/body of the akuma. One person said I should use wire. But how? I'm not sure where to even begin. ^-^'

If anybody could help, absolutely any tips or advice would be greatly and very much appreciated. ^^ Thanks in advance.

If you haven't watched D. Gray Man before, a level one akuma looks like this;

http://media.photobucket.com/image/level%20one%20akuma/shonenjump2993/31ch1-1.jpg

Actually I am working on one right now, because we need it for our skit at Katsucon. How we're doing it:

We're making panels out of heavy foam (like the kind you'd use for upholstery purposes) that will be sitched together in a 3-d 'oval' shape. We're gonna have tubing stitched up each seam so we can then slide in heavy wire to give it the 3-d shape. We will also be attaching three rounded 'hoops' on the inside to make it hold it's shape. Then for the guns we're just gonna stitch craft foam to the panels, and use that as well as the harness on the front. Then we're gonna make the mask out of craft foam stuffed with stuffing and then covered in either paperclay or model magic and use velcro/snaps to attach it. Then we're gonna take one of those crinkly fabrics and glue it/tack it down completely covering the the akuma around the guns and mask and everything to it covers the panels. And then paint whatever we need to paint. The bas will go around the persons waist and their torso will actually be inside and a harness will attach them do it. Then they're going to wear a belt with a bunch of wires/tubing to hide their legs. We're using the same ref. image as you to make it. Hope that helps.
http://img391.imageshack.us/i/akuma01pi7.jpg/