PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal on Man-Faye?

BIOJECT
09-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Yeah he's a guy wearing something a girl would wear and the pictures of him are kind of disturbing but what is the big deal? I've seen guys dressed as school girls all the time.

Does this mean my plans to dress up as Deedlit should be canceled since people will make a big deal even though girls crossplay all the time and technically it would be sexist not to let the guys dress up as their favorite female characters too?

RHIshida
09-24-2003, 12:01 AM
The problem with Man-Faye is less the fact that he is a guy cosplaying a female character and more the fact that he is not trying to do a good job of it, (he didn't shave.) I myself am a crossplayer and I don't find anything wrong with guys dressing as girls or vice-versa :P

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2003, 12:07 AM
The problem is how he did it. Talk about no decency whatsoever. :/

BIOJECT
09-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Oh so I need to SHAVE if I'm going to dress up as Deedlit?!! AAAAAGh! Last time I did something as stupid as that I had a rash for over a month! >.< Well... I guess if it is to make the appearance as good as possible then okay. My goal with the Deedlit costume is to make a version better than anyone has ever seen so when people notice that I'm a guy they will be too drawn in to the nice looking costume instead. lol yeah right. So as long as I make some kind of attempt to look like the character, long blonde wig, elven ears, sword, the full dress and shoulder pads, I am okay and people won't make a big deal?

Ranma Saotome
09-24-2003, 12:47 AM
You got that right!

Karisu-sama
09-24-2003, 01:55 AM
Oh so I need to SHAVE if I'm going to dress up as Deedlit?!! AAAAAGh! Last time I did something as stupid as that I had a rash for over a month! >.< Well... I guess if it is to make the appearance as good as possible then okay. My goal with the Deedlit costume is to make a version better than anyone has ever seen so when people notice that I'm a guy they will be too drawn in to the nice looking costume instead. lol yeah right. So as long as I make some kind of attempt to look like the character, long blonde wig, elven ears, sword, the full dress and shoulder pads, I am okay and people won't make a big deal?

Shave if your legs & armpits are visible - you don't want an un-Deedlit-like pelt. Women shave their legs all the time - maybe if you use their products you might avoid a rash. (Aside note: has anyone noticed the lack of hairiness on anime guys too?) So yes, if you are actually trying to look like the character by taking care to make the costume fit and flatter you, and you try to do the hair and ears nicely and have a careful makeup job - NO ONE should make a big deal. You'd be a serious crossplayer.

Man-Faye doesn't even try; he's just after humor, notoriety and attention. Faye Valentine's actual costume design may be short, but Man-Faye takes it to new "levels" by exposing half his noticeably furred butt. His costume fits poorly. Neither does he try to present a smooth front on those shorts (hiding the package), or even remotely attempt to do a good job on Faye's "large assets". The amount of visible body hair - ugh. He's a pretty hairy white guy.

allyunion
09-24-2003, 02:01 AM
It was so indecent that...

From a far distance, you could swear his butt were two tribbles.

I was asking for a towel from anyone... it was so bad, I didn't have to be in character to make a face. It was so bad, that I was trying to find a Kenshin to hide behind.

Richii
09-24-2003, 03:22 AM
if you dont wanna shave your legs you could wear dance tights? maybe yeah...*shrugs*
I have no comment on Man Faye. I didnt actually see him in person, should I be thankful?

Karisu-sama
09-24-2003, 04:02 AM
YES, you should be SUPER THANKFUL!!

Richii
09-24-2003, 04:04 AM
LOL *is super thankful* It was pretty bad in pictures...I guess it was tons worse in real life.

BIOJECT
09-24-2003, 05:32 AM
Well getting negative reactions toward my costume is the last thing I would want. Especially if it's offending, disgusting, or gross. The goal of this costume is to make people stare and react in a positive way. Also since Deedlit wears a cape only the front will ever show my bare arms or legs. Yeah I will probably just shave or even wax once so to get the closest look possible. I think tights would only degrade from the costume. Plus my arms are very hairy so I would have to shave them anyways. Might as well do the legs too!

In my next topic I'm going to post on what I think I should use. I'm not focusing on cheap costing material so I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

Gren
09-24-2003, 08:17 AM
If you wax, make sure you do it at least a day before the con, maybe 2 or three. If you do it that morning, you'll probably end up with a lot of redness.

Man Faye is fantastic.

Koumori
09-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Man-Faye is doing it to be a joke. We all know he's not really trying to pull of a good Faye Valentine costume, right? He's TRYING to be offensive, and to get laughs. With that in mind, I find him harmless enough.

Unfortunately, since he does attract so much attention, I'm afraid he'll likely be "the face (butt?) of cosplay" for a while, at least as far as photographers looking for humorous angles are concerned. Ignore him long enough and like everything else, he'll go away.

LunarYoma
09-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Yeah he's a guy wearing something a girl would wear and the pictures of him are kind of disturbing but what is the big deal? I've seen guys dressed as school girls all the time.

Does this mean my plans to dress up as Deedlit should be canceled since people will make a big deal even though girls crossplay all the time and technically it would be sexist not to let the guys dress up as their favorite female characters too?

Whats bad about man faye is that it looks like a wookie in a faye valentine costume. Now if he shaved(his whole body) before he put on that costume, it wouldnt be that bad.

What he did is just as bad as a 300 to 600 lb woman putting on a thong bikini with flabs/roles of fat every where.

I can easily block those images from my mind for it not to really bother me, only experienceing a revolusion to it(& not getting to the point of vomiting).

As for you doing a Deedlit costume, shave those areas of skin that will be exposed to everyone seeing. Even if your costume turns out sucking(not saying that it will), at least have proven your seriousness in wearing your costume by doing your best to appear as decent(ie not as a wookie in a costume) as possible.

BTW, Im a guy who just started crossplaying a little while ago.
see this http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=21410

For shaving i suggest you do it three weeks before you start. Then dont shave for a week or so. This way you will give any in-grown hairs to pop out. Shave again. Then for the third time shave the day before you leave for the anime con. This pross will severly reduce any rasheds or redness you will gave.

For the actual shaving process do this:

Get a womens shaving gel that is specifically ment for shavin legs(it also works good on arms & the rest of the body). DO NOT USE ANY MENS SHAVING GEL!!!

Use a brand new razor(tripple blanded works best) each time you shave. Start with your legs, then do other parts of your body. After you shave your legs run (very)cold water on them right away. This alone will slightly to severly reduce any redness you experience on your legs. Trust me it works. I seen it work first hand, & because i ask over 15+ women what is best when it comes to shaving legs, 8 of them use the cold water trick & they say it works as well.

Also get a lotion that is specificly ment for your legs to rub in once you are done shaving them.

Also get a hair retardnet growth lotion. Start rubbing this into your skin(where ever you plan to shave) on a daily basis about 5 to 6 weeks before you need to put on your costume for the anime con. This will slow down the hair growth process(it takes about 3 to 8 weeks for any noticeable effects to happen if you pay extremely close attention to the amount of hair growth you have after you shave the first time) plus keep your skin moisturized. For myself i estimated that using a hair retardent lotion reduced my hair growth by about 15%(thats after using it daily for over 2 months before i started to notice any affects).

This may see like alot of hassle, but if your determined to present your best image in your costume. Take care of your skin. Trust me, it is worth it.

JoeBoeing
09-24-2003, 12:16 PM
I agree 100% with Koumori. And I'll even add that I thinik that people take cos-play to seriously if they are offended by a person (like Man-Faye) who is purely out doing this for laughs and as a joke.

It's obvious to me that he isn't going for accuricy.

He is no differant than Sailor Bubba (also a very nice guy from what I hear).

Chill and relax... let him have his fun. This'll die down after a while and Man-Faye will be but a memory.

And remember, not everyone cos-plays for the same reason.

Thank you,
Joe

BIOJECT
09-24-2003, 12:45 PM
*Shivers* Aaagh isn't there an easier way like going to a professional and getting it waxed? Wouldn't that help with the rashing? The rash was so horrible last time. It was like having poison oak but 10 times worse! I remember taking off a day from work because I itched so much that I couldn't leave the house without rubbing lotion all over my legs again and again. I will consider your methods but I am probably going to wax.

Richii
09-24-2003, 01:14 PM
use the venus razor! they are so yummy. ^__^ There a little more exspensive but they come with a couple refills so you can do that three week plan...(which sounds like really good advice!)

LunarYoma
09-24-2003, 01:36 PM
*Shivers* Aaagh isn't there an easier way like going to a professional and getting it waxed? Wouldn't that help with the rashing? The rash was so horrible last time. It was like having poison oak but 10 times worse! I remember taking off a day from work because I itched so much that I couldn't leave the house without rubbing lotion all over my legs again and again. I will consider your methods but I am probably going to wax.

i never tried waxing at all. most trouble i ever has shaving is ingrown hairs on my upper legs.

Try shaving a small patch of hair on your leg with my method(the first part of it using a womens shaving gel & a triple bladed razor). Do it right away & see if you get a rash.

If you get a rash, then go have your legs waxed. reson i didnt recommend it was because i herd it was pain full(asked women who tried it, they all said it was painful in some fashion or another) & i never tried it mymself. I looked around on the net for various priceings on it. expect to pay anywhere from 35$ to 50$ & the effects typically only last for about 7 to 10 days before you need another waxing.

Aiji Sasayaki
09-24-2003, 02:08 PM
A Venus razor is very nice. Close shave. With waxing, uh..if you have, as I like to say, 'wolf legs', don't wax! You'll cry..My boyfriend waxed like that, and he swears he'll never wax again. Trim your hair first, then wax it. Hot wax works better also, more so than that 'cool' wax Nair and a few others sell.

Richii
09-24-2003, 04:58 PM
I've had my legs waxed once...it hurts like a mother. Also the lady told me that she had just done a guy before me and because the hair was long the wax would catch hair that wasnt under that part of the strip so it was like doubly painful for him.
Waxed once and wont ever again...and besides after you wax you get this funny little rash because your skin is irritated and it last longer then a shaving rash would.
Go with the Venus!

Yuna
09-24-2003, 05:45 PM
OMG, you all need to lighten up. Man-Faye is harmless. So what if he has a hairy ass, saying he can't cosplay what he wants is like saying fat chicks can cosplay anything remotly revealing. I'm not saying I like to look at it, but it's all in good fun, which ALL cosplay should be in.

Menchi
09-24-2003, 06:18 PM
if it were as simple as haha its a joke wouldnt care. but i for one dont care to see a hairy ass on anyone. plus had heard his package had fallen out of that illy fit "costune" of his. i see nothing wrong with a man in a skimpy costume if done properly though, nine an his clever use of a body suit is a *good* example of skimpy costumes on a guy (also isnt offensive to see).

Karisu-sama
09-24-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm perfectly happy to have fun and let others have fun. Badly-fitting cosplay, skimpy cosplay on bodies where it looks less than optimal, joke cosplay = big whoop. Man-Faye is more than joke cosplay however - one crosses a line when one bares half his butt and deliberately bends over to stick it practically in the face of a 12-year-old.

NOT in front of my kids, thank you.

Hanyaan
09-24-2003, 07:23 PM
God, Man-Faye did that to one of your kids? *dies* What a rude thing to do!

Seriously, though, Man-Faye is just plain disgusting. I still think I have his bare butt burned into my mind...it's horrible...

Yes, all you guys that want to crossplay, PLEASE shave!!! And shave your arms if they're hairy; at AX03 I saw this guy dressed as Sailor Neptune who shaved his legs but not his arms. Poor guy got laughed at a bunch for that. Don't be a Man-Faye...

I wonder if Man-Faye thought that his joke cosplay would help him pick up girls? *cracks up*

Richii
09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
shaving arms sound so scary...doesnt you hair come in darker and courser if you shave them? To bad there isnt a way to "thin out your arm hair"

Another thing I thought I would bring up on the subject of hair removal: You know how they have those foams you can put on your legs and just wipe the hair off. They work really well I've heard but make sure you do like a little test because you can get a chemical burn.

Just another option.

Koumori
09-24-2003, 10:02 PM
If waxing gives you a rash, you should have a pro do it. It's possible that you had too high a temperature, that you pulled the wax away in the wrong direction, or simply that you had an allergic reaction to the wax you used. It should be fairly painless. Waxing/shaving does not make your hair grow thicker and darker (think about it.. shaving is just cutting the hair off close to the skin, and how could that affect your hair-growing genetics?)

Richii
09-24-2003, 10:34 PM
I had it done at a day spa...and this ladys been doing it for years, she said it happens to pretty much everyone. maybe you have tough skin or something. Thats lucky. And it wasnt really a rash it was just like..well i donno what it was it didnt itch or anything it just didnt look purdy.

BIOJECT
09-25-2003, 05:34 AM
The pain of the rash is almost unbearable! It lasted for a long week. When I said 10 times worser than poison oak I wasn't kidding. It itched so bad and hurt. I remember taking multiple showers having found that the only relief was when my legs were wet. Of course I should have use cold water but I didn't know then. I would put on just regular lotion and it did help a little bit but I had to rub more on every 30 minutes. When I went out I remember the irritation would increase because of the heat. In a way I think waxing is better since it only lasts a few minutes instead of a week. But then again I have never waxed before so maybe I will try shaving again. The correct way! One of my big problems I had after I shaved my legs with a regular electric razor to cut it down to size was the back of my knees where the tenants connect allowing you to bend your legs. I sliced one and man did it bleed and hurt real bad. The area is kind of a pain to shave. It reminds me of the armpit or harder since there are hairs that just seem too hard to get at.

allyunion
09-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Chill and relax... let him have his fun. This'll die down after a while and Man-Faye will be but a memory.

Yes, but it's one memory I don't really want to remember on my death bed. Gahh.... it's a memory burned into my brain for the rest of my life. The only thing worse than that is seeing something worse than Man-Faye.

Aiji Sasayaki
09-25-2003, 08:24 AM
It's a myth that your hair grows back more thick and dark, it only appears so because the roots are growing back, and the hair was cut off at more of an angle. Once it's completely back, it should look fine, though, I've seen some girls who shave there arms, and their arms then feel like cactus needles ^_^' If you don't need to shave your arms, don't shave them. Um..try bleaching..? lol. I don't know, it's just a suggestion.

BIOJECT
09-26-2003, 12:34 AM
I told my friend about my idea on dressing up as Deedlit. He says he will be avoiding me and denying our friendship to his girlfriend (havent met her yet) and will act like a stranger to me. What a friend huh?

Alexia Ikyu
09-26-2003, 03:16 AM
I told my friend about my idea on dressing up as Deedlit. He says he will be avoiding me and denying our friendship to his girlfriend (havent met her yet) and will act like a stranger to me. What a friend huh?

To your friend, [insert long string of ranting and many many beeps]. The only reason I see he would do that is because the girl might dump him for hanging out with a "weirdo." If that was the case... I would ditch both of them.

Link Arroway
09-26-2003, 10:30 AM
I'm sure he's a nice guy, its just a little bit repulsive, as I'd find any cosplayer who walked around like that. There's things that dont' want to be seen and some people don't want to see it. I don't care.
The difference between him and anyone other man who doesn't shave and wears a dress is I don't care to see his ass or package. Enough said. I don't care anymore nor do I want to get wrapped up but I need to say as much.
So don't pretend its the same as any other cosplay.
But even if it is a bit, its just his sick joke, and oh well :D

What a jerk, even if my friends don't like my crossplaying, they don't go out and ditch me. They joke and find it weird but they respect what I do and don't give me crap.
When I first started shavin too my legs would be burnt, but I just kind of clean and soap them up a bit then shave when I wash myself and afterwards put moisturizer on them, it helps a lot! I hear you shouldn't use greesy moisturizer or something tho, I've had no experience with like burning as a result of moisturizer use tho.

Menchi
09-26-2003, 12:59 PM

eh their loss, what you cosplay is your choice...the funny thing is girls are usually more for crossplay than guys. but he woud do that to you...he really isnt thinking about anyone other than himself.

it coud be that she likes deedlit or something...and woud view it as defiling (pardon my spelling) the char? even if ppl do, i cosplay what ya want...i have been accused of ruining a char more than once for ppl. the effect, i dont care waht they think...being i do it in good taste an try to look th part (SHAVING...I REPEAT SHAVING, an any other step needed). but do what ya want for costumes though...you arent living for them.

BIOJECT
09-26-2003, 03:46 PM
My friend says that he doesn't want to feel uncomfortable around his girlfriend because of me. I repeatedly told him that his uncomfortable feelings would be nothing compared to the stress I would have to endure having to be Deedlit.

I serious will be nervous and maybe even embarrassed. You might ask why bother than? It's like a roller coaster. The first time is always the best because you get this fear of the unknown. I see crossplaying as a challenge and if I got the balls to do it than I'm more of a man than the guy who backs out. Well don't you think?

He's right in a way but as my friend he should be a little more supportive. That's what friends are for! He might criticize me but he should atleast give me a chance. I don't plan on pulling a Man-Faye for a joke but am serious trying to make a decent costume. How will they laugh when my costume rocks! :jjacks:

khamryn
09-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Bio- It doesn't sound like your friend is a very decent friend. o_O

As for Man Faye... that is not something I would want my kids seeing if I had any! I can sympathize with Karisu completely on this one.

I didn't want to see it either. I've seen plenty of guys dressed as, say, sailor scouts who don't shave and do it for a joke.. but their ass and package isn't hanging out for the world to see so I can take it as its meant to be a taken.. a joke.

Man Faye pushes past the limits IMO.

Good luck with your costume. I shall look forward to seeing it. :)

Magic General
09-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Man-Faye is awesome!!!!!!! (more exclamation points highlights how much I believe in Man-Faye's incredible greatness). Meeting Man-Faye would be one of the greatest honors ever :)

BIOJECT
09-27-2003, 05:36 AM
In my opinion what Man-Faye did wasn't indecent until I heard about his privates showing. Being hairy is one thing and most common on guys. I'm REALLy hairy and you can see that from the picture. Walking around with your privates hanging out is just wrong. What if some little kids were to see? So yeah Man-Faye may be a great guy but he needs to show a little more modesty in his comical costumes.

BIOJECT
09-27-2003, 05:37 AM
That hampster of yours is so cute I could eat it all up!

Karisu-sama
09-27-2003, 07:28 AM
What if some little kids were to see? So yeah Man-Faye may be a great guy but he needs to show a little more modesty in his comical costumes.
Precisely. Cons are not supposed to be closed to families, and there ARE people who bring little kids to cons. I'm one of them.

Magic General
09-27-2003, 04:09 PM
You are right about the little kids part. I didn't think of that. If I had little kids, I would probably put my hands over their eyes or something >_>

BIOJECT
09-27-2003, 05:07 PM
That's a cute hamster.

Nine
09-28-2003, 05:52 AM
What people don't understand that it isn't the fact that he's dressed as a girl that gets everyone all upset, it's about how he presents himself and what impact he has made.

This is why I don't like it:
Due to his popularity, and because of how he looks and acts, his actions sets a negative stereotype on the crossplaying community. That sucks for others who crossplay for other reasons than a "joking" one. Man-Faye basically mocks the crossplay, cosplay and I even go as far to saying the transgendered communities, regardless of what his intentions may or may not be.

Gren
09-28-2003, 09:21 AM
I don't see it that way at all. When I see him wearing those horrendous little shorts, I interprate it as making fun of how girl can get away with extremely scanty costumes and not be stopped or reprimanded simply because they're beautiful. Going through AX galleries, I saw a Cammy with WAY more ass showing than Man-Faye would dare to do. But I've heard no uproar ofver the indecency of her actions, and how she shouldn't be allowed to show that with children around. Granted, her testes won't be popping out, but other scanty costumes that women wear result in accidental flashings all the time. We're forgiving of them "Oh, it was an accident. She didn't mean to pop out. That's just the way the costume is built." But man faye? "How DARE you you bane of decency!" I've seen some really trashily done f2m crossplays, and I see a lot of f2m crossplayers do all sort of yaoi shots and grinding and poses I don't think are appropriate for public display. But do I think it reflects badly on the crossplay community? No! Just like a horribly done Yuna desn't reflect badly on the FF crossplay community.

I'm quite sorry you've gotten stuck with a man DFaye stigma on other boards, and that it's caused you to retire your Faye costume. But that is a reason to be angry at those people. Not Man-Faye.

Ranma Saotome
09-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Gren, there's a difference between doing this by accident, and doing things on purpose. ManFaye does this crap on purpose.

Funny thing... As much as we talk about him, we haven't heard anything from the man himself.

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-28-2003, 07:53 PM
you can kill me for saying this later but..

If Man Faye is so indecent by having half of his butt cheeks hanging out.

Then why aren't female cosplayers who have their butt half hanging out along with their ugly flab not concidered "indecent" just like man faye. I mean..Think about it.

Sure man faye has hair, and ..it's ugly.

But why don't people make a big deal about the female cosplayers who are obviously trying to get attention just like Man Faye? He's doing it to be funny, they are doing it because..well..

I'll leave that to your imagination.

khamryn
09-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Did I once say that I condone the scantily clad female costumes?

I'd rather not see that either, but I find them much easier to ignore then Man Faye. And trust me, I do make a big deal about female cosplayers obviously trying to get attention.

Yes, he's trying to be funny. We established that. However, most people don't find it funny. Everyone is allowed to have different opinions.

Vialoi Ketsueke
09-28-2003, 08:00 PM
I condone both.

I actually don't think it's fair that everyone is looking down at Man Faye, when some female cosplayers are no better.

Gren
09-29-2003, 10:46 PM
What exactly is Man Faye doing of purpose that others do by accident? Making too much of his butt showing? That Cammy's leotard didn't suddenly shrink one evening. Fall out? I sincerely doubt he meant for his testicle to make a guest appearance. You might argue "Oh, he was doing a suggestive pose, it's like just inviting that sort of thing to happen!" Does that mean that every Lulu who does the bending over victory pose and happens to topple out intended for her nipples to get photographed?

khamryn
09-29-2003, 11:05 PM
::Notes this thread is now going in circles.:: I vote for it being closed.

vyrax778
09-30-2003, 01:34 AM
I belive the double standard is becouse most of the people that fall out of there costumes Guys who are still a majority of anime fans dont mind getting a flash of some breasts were as they do mind a flash of a hairy ass.

Yuna
09-30-2003, 01:37 AM
If you guys judge Man-Faye, then you ALL are opened to be judged on any and every cosplay you do. Cosplay is about fun and fandom, reguardless if it is PC or not. All of you in an up roar take this hobby, which is based on fandom, far too seriously. Those of you who judge Man-Faye have lost sight of everything on which this hobby was founded on, which is having fun. He has not crossed the line into nudity or indecent exposure, for if he had, he would have been escorted to his room and made to change, for it has been done before. With that said, I'm closeing this thread. Live and let live, let fans express themselves (with in the law) the way they want.

Put it bluntly: Lighten up.