PDA

View Full Version : Sketchers Shape Ups

distantarray
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Yes they are worth it, and they're on sale at most retailers. They give you atleast 1 inch increase in height + posture fix. Also helps workout your calves and create a more natural walking pattern helping you with knee of back pains. My father's a chef for 35+ years and he was going to Chiropractor's office 2-3 times a week at $60 a piece to help with his back pain. After he got the shoes he NEVER went back once in 4 years.

Shape ups are based off a Japanese company called MBT's Masai Barefoot Technologies. 4 Years ago we were forced to buy these at $250 per pair of sneakers, now with the sale you can get Sketchers shape ups for $79 :bigtu:

Mariks_Dragon
07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I watch Dr OZ every day and he said that those things don't work.

SanaK
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I believe the only difference you will notice is in your calves, as the shoes' main principle is the "rocking from your ankle to your toe" therefore preventing you from stomping on your feet.. if you do a simple test yourself, making the same motions, you'd see that it really works your calves, but you don't feel anything in your thighs or anywhere else really. Perhaps after a long day it would work.. but things like this don't usually work. Exercise is easy once you get into the habit of it. :]

IchigoBunny
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
They really do work! I work at a retailer where we sell them and i have personally tried them on and worn them. They help with all leg and foot pain and if worn correctly and used with the DVD that comes with the shoes it helps you work out your body. You would have to try them on to see for yourself.

Eva Yui
07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
The sketchers sneakers come with a dvd? I think the basic principle behind it is just posture and moving properly like SanaK has said. Still, I hear a lot of people saying good things about them and I plan to purchase an off brand of them myself.

DevTehFiend
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey, even if they don't work, they're the most comfortable pair of sneakers I've ever worn and that kind of encourages me to walk more. I got a pair for my mom last Christmas, but they turned out to be the wrong size, so she gave them to me and we got her another pair. ^^ I like that they come in a lot of styles and colors too, but I hate the Mary-Jane looking ones.

distantarray
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I believe the only difference you will notice is in your calves, as the shoes' main principle is the "rocking from your ankle to your toe" therefore preventing you from stomping on your feet.. if you do a simple test yourself, making the same motions, you'd see that it really works your calves, but you don't feel anything in your thighs or anywhere else really. Perhaps after a long day it would work.. but things like this don't usually work. Exercise is easy once you get into the habit of it. :]

don't forget it also fixes your posture to help with joint pains and problems, of course you shouldn't expect something to just wear shoes and BAM instant 6pack lol, but the fact is these shoes do help, even if it's burning extra 10 calories a day that's not a bad thing. even at 10 calories a day over a year that's more than 1 pound of fat you burned for not doing much different.

89th_Alice
07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
They look rather uncomfortable actually ^-^;;

But I suppose if they help they are worth it. I'm generally not a fan of 'just wear it and you'll lose weight/shape up' type of products so I won't be buying them, but I'm interested in what others think about them.

PhDPepper
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
I've heard from people that use them, that it relieves some tension in the back when it comes to prolonged standing.

fadedsunrise02
07-20-2010, 10:45 PM
They look INSANELY uncomfortable ^^;;;

This is actually coming from someone who has nearly flat feet/would probably be a target group for the shoes to help. But actually, the more supported/technological/expensive shoes I got, the less it fixed anything. When I switched to wearing mostly flipflops, flats, and bendable sneakers, BAM, big improvement in my persistent hip, knee, and shin problems.

Of course, I had to teach myself the right posture, but the above has worked well for me.

UchihaSasuK8
07-21-2010, 03:03 AM
Has anyone tried Fitflops? I think these are have the same principle but for a different style of shoe. They dont have such a curve in the sole tho.

I can see it would vary a lot from person to person depending on how you walk; if you turn your shoe over you can easily see which part of your feet you walk on more heavily (I am a heel striker while my friend is a ball striker etc) so maybe the effect depends on indervidual with some people suiting it more than others?

nikkiolie
07-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was Dr Oz) that wearing the shoes does work a little bit but only about as much as walking an extra half mile every day. I tried them on at my work and they are quite comfortable. I may get some (not the actual Sketchers brand but a knockoff).

kkoganei1328
07-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I dont have the sketchers brand, but bought a pair of reebok runtones (just got them today!!) cant wait to try them out tonight at the gym, if i am sore tomorrow morning as many of the reviews say, then they are working and i shall post my answer. but all the other things aside, these shoes are really freaking comfortable.

PsychoRooster
07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
My feet are extremely flat and a size 12... anything with a raised heel or an arch in it gives me severe foot pain so I resort to wearing converse a lot. BUT, I have back problems and its painful to stand up straight for me. Do you think these would help?

PhDPepper
07-21-2010, 06:45 PM
My feet are extremely flat and a size 12... anything with a raised heel or an arch in it gives me severe foot pain so I resort to wearing converse a lot. BUT, I have back problems and its painful to stand up straight for me. Do you think these would help?

I actually had back problems because of arches being too high. It would cause my feet to sort of curve in, making my legs want to squeeze inward, and it put some extra pressure in my lower back. I actually went to a Walking Company store, stood on some machine, and they matched me with a set of shoe insoles that helped quite a bit.

Miyabi-
07-22-2010, 12:13 AM
I work at a department store in the shoe department and personally I don't think these things are really going to make you lose a heck of a lot of weight or give you legs of a god/ess or anything. Nothing will replace proper diet and exercise.
But darned if they're not comfy as all get out. Quite a few of my co-workers have bought them and they said at the end of a long day their feet don't hurt quite as badly and that's always a good thing.
The things are pretty squishy to walk in..the rocking motion does help correct your posture and that massive heel has a lot of shock absorbtion.
As for being awkward to walk in...yes. At first it'll feel strange but you get used to it after a while. You're really only supposed to wear the Shape Ups for a little bit at a time at first until you get used to it anyways. If you just straight up start walking in the for hours at a time..well, expect some calf pain/soreness! -_-

distantarray
07-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was Dr Oz) that wearing the shoes does work a little bit but only about as much as walking an extra half mile every day. I tried them on at my work and they are quite comfortable. I may get some (not the actual Sketchers brand but a knockoff).

It's funny how you say Sketchers and not a Knockoff, cause Sketchers shape ups are actually a Knock off of MBT's

distantarray
07-22-2010, 01:02 AM
I actually had back problems because of arches being too high. It would cause my feet to sort of curve in, making my legs want to squeeze inward, and it put some extra pressure in my lower back. I actually went to a Walking Company store, stood on some machine, and they matched me with a set of shoe insoles that helped quite a bit.

I first found the origional company that made this design through a store called foot solutions through a infomercial years ago lol, foot solutions makes custom insoles like you say, quite expensive though, they were the first place we got to see and try MBT's which was nice. but not at the $250 sneaker price tag, but then saving 2-3 trips of the chiropractor a week easily paid for itself.

Brand
07-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Is it safe to run in them?

distantarray
07-24-2010, 05:10 PM

yep I find them much more comfortable than any pair of Nikes by far.

Miyabi-
07-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Yup. If you feel unsteady you could look into Sketchers Shape Ups Extended Fitness collection. The bottom and heel is a bit lower than the original Shape Ups.

craiken
07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Worth it.

I've had the same spot on my lower back injured about 3 times. Got these and noticed I didn't need to go back to the chiropractor for adjustments.

Granted, I still get x-rays to make sure my back's healing ok but the shoes have relieved a lot of tension from just standing, walking and running.

A bit more than I'm used to spending on non-dress shoes but as long as they last a good while, they're worth the investment.

distantarray
07-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Worth it.

I've had the same spot on my lower back injured about 3 times. Got these and noticed I didn't need to go back to the chiropractor for adjustments.

Granted, I still get x-rays to make sure my back's healing ok but the shoes have relieved a lot of tension from just standing, walking and running.

A bit more than I'm used to spending on non-dress shoes but as long as they last a good while, they're worth the investment.

check out ebay they have knock offs from China that are in dress shoes fashion, but nice to know other people have gotten away from not going to the Chiropractors :bigtu: if you listen carefully you can hear Chiropractors screaming, and less bones cracking :angel2:

TheMimicGoGo
07-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm getting some in the mail for my birthday. Very excited. Can't wait to get them. It will be the perfect little motivator for me to get back on track with my weight loss goal. My feet have been hurting like hell after standing all day on the job.. by the time I get off my neck, back, and feet hurt so much and I'm just too tired to excercise. Hopefully these shoes will help make it so that stops happening.

distantarray
07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm getting some in the mail for my birthday. Very excited. Can't wait to get them. It will be the perfect little motivator for me to get back on track with my weight loss goal. My feet have been hurting like hell after standing all day on the job.. by the time I get off my neck, back, and feet hurt so much and I'm just too tired to excercise. Hopefully these shoes will help make it so that stops happening.

once you get them you should feel it in your calves for a few days but after a week or two you should feel natural in them. They do help your posture and your back quite a lot.

DireKitty
07-28-2010, 07:47 AM
If you really want to help ankle/back pain and posture i'd recommend orthopedic insoles... many people actually don't walk properly and need support based on how they walk. Correcting this can help with your posture as well.

distantarray
07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
If you really want to help ankle/back pain and posture i'd recommend orthopedic insoles... many people actually don't walk properly and need support based on how they walk. Correcting this can help with your posture as well.

they're expensive as hell lol, if you get custom ones made about $250 I know most people in these forums tend to be kinda broke. Although I should mention that Sketchers shape ups do come with arch support built in which are nice.

Braithcakes
07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I actually saw on the news that if you wear the shapeups for too long they damage part of you somehow....

TheMimicGoGo
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Just got my shoes! Just tried them on!

They feel so wiiiiieeerrddd...

Time to try them out! Here goes. I'll be back with a report.

distantarray
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I actually saw on the news that if you wear the shapeups for too long they damage part of you somehow....

somehow? doesn't look like a very indepth report =p besides wearing flats have shown damage to the lower back over time regardless, but these help relieve pain in my family for 4-5 years now, not too worried about any possible side effects if it hasn't occured yet. We wear it everyday my dad is standing and walking 12 hours a day 6 times a week. Regardless no matter what comes out news will always try to make a story out of nothing.

I remember when 2 teenagers died in the Sauna after staying in for too long 3-4 hours in Vinyl suits designed to help you lose water weight. The mother found a bottle of creatine and blamed it on that. Some people are just stupid. Try them for yourself and see if anything happens.

DireKitty
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
they're expensive as hell lol, if you get custom ones made about $250 I know most people in these forums tend to be kinda broke. Although I should mention that Sketchers shape ups do come with arch support built in which are nice.

Mine were covered by my insurance policy from work, and I love them so much. I used to get sore ankles from walking around a mall, and now I can walk all over the place without much pain.
Only issue is finding shoes to fit them. >: (

TheMimicGoGo
08-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Reporting back on testing out my Shape-Ups. First day I tried them out I felt nothing. Walking in them felt similar to walking in heeled boots... "elevated" was the feeling I guess.. but much more comofrotable then a heeled shoe obviously. Next two days I felt a burn in my upper thighs after walking around in them. Now I seem to be used to them. No more "feel the burn" sensation from just walking in them. I have noticed my back and shoulders do not hurt as much as they used to... but I have also not been on the computer as much as I usually am, so I'm not sure if it's a combination of not hunching over the keyboard AND using the shoes or if it's just that the shoes really do help with posture THAT much. If it's the shoes then the shoes are down right miraculous and everyone should have a pair and that's that. I've tried running in them once so far.. kind of akward.. but when I stopped I did feel quite the burn without feeling achey like Iused to. It was a great feeling. I am 178 right now... at the end of the month I will report back if I have lost the 3.2 pounds the manual claims the shoes will make you lose within a month just from walking in them 20 min. or more everyday. We'll see!

distantarray
08-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Reporting back on testing out my Shape-Ups. First day I tried them out I felt nothing. Walking in them felt similar to walking in heeled boots... "elevated" was the feeling I guess.. but much more comofrotable then a heeled shoe obviously. Next two days I felt a burn in my upper thighs after walking around in them. Now I seem to be used to them. No more "feel the burn" sensation from just walking in them. I have noticed my back and shoulders do not hurt as much as they used to... but I have also not been on the computer as much as I usually am, so I'm not sure if it's a combination of not hunching over the keyboard AND using the shoes or if it's just that the shoes really do help with posture THAT much. If it's the shoes then the shoes are down right miraculous and everyone should have a pair and that's that. I've tried running in them once so far.. kind of akward.. but when I stopped I did feel quite the burn without feeling achey like Iused to. It was a great feeling. I am 178 right now... at the end of the month I will report back if I have lost the 3.2 pounds the manual claims the shoes will make you lose within a month just from walking in them 20 min. or more everyday. We'll see!

If you don't have chronic pain you probably won't notice HUGE differences off the bat, but chances are if your noticing slight benefits here and there it's still well worth the money over a pair of nikes.

Sorahana
08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I have a pair of Dr. Scholl's (they look like the shape-ups), got them at Sears. They are very comfy and I noticed a difference in my posture right away. I also noticed I was working muscles I normally don't work when I went walking for excercise. If you can't afford shape-ups, Dr. Scholl's are a good alternative :).

Lammy
08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
i like using them, they have improved my posture but i wouldnt really solely on getting fit with it. Ive also been running on the treadmill a lot so i can't say they helped me shape up my legs but i do feel the stretch in my calves when i walk.

Lammy
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
oh yes they are also very comfy. XD just like uggs as well.

UsakoMinako
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I've been seeing them at TJ Maxx stores recently so if someone wants to find a pair for discount that might be a find! I think I will try a pair on... I have double fallen arches- Not sure if it will work for me but they sound like perhaps- even though they look soooo weird lookin. I know posture will help you improve weight loss plus help you digest foods better.