PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss - "Hidden Dangers"

UchihaSasuK8
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I am currently working away from home for Monday-Friday and staying in an hotel. Great! I thought; I have been wanting to loose some weight for the London Expo in October - I can make sure I have a gym and without anyone else to tempt me astray, I can eat better!

However I have found that its actually much harder than I first realised! There are lots of "hidden dangers" that I didn't expect. I have listed a few of them here, and wondered if anyone else had found any things that, despite your best efforts, might slip past your weight loss net. I think these apply equally to hotels/eating out or at home.

Watch what you drink, as well as what you eat - milky coffee? sugary colas? - don't abuse the tab, stick to water.
Watch your dips/dressings/sauces - you have ordered the salad but you might as well as gone with the pizza... watch out for mayo/cheese/cream that is often in them.
Don't eat alone! Or at least take a book. Its very hard to eat slowly when you are alone, as you have better things to do, and rush or you are watching others eat, which makes you starving.
Make sure you have snacks - healthy ones! Keep some healthy snacks (some cherry toms/sweet shelling peas/french beans) on hand and then you wont succumb to chocolate/sweets/crisps etc. when there is nothing else on offer.
Try eating a starter + side order rather than a main course. Being at the mercy of a resturant menu can make it hard, so a small dish and a salad can be a good alternative.
Avoid buffets/carveries/eat-as-much-as-you-wants. Just don't go there... no need to explain.
Skip Hotel breakfasts - buy your own cereal. Don't eat the often sugary cereals on offer or let the smell of bacon drive you insane.

Got any more?

Kasinator
07-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I am currently working away from home for Monday-Friday and staying in an hotel. Great! I thought; I have been wanting to loose some weight for the London Expo in October - I can make sure I have a gym and without anyone else to tempt me astray, I can eat better!

However I have found that its actually much harder than I first realised! There are lots of "hidden dangers" that I didn't expect. I have listed a few of them here, and wondered if anyone else had found any things that, despite your best efforts, might slip past your weight loss net. I think these apply equally to hotels/eating out or at home.

Watch what you drink, as well as what you eat - milky coffee? sugary colas? - don't abuse the tab, stick to water.
Watch your dips/dressings/sauces - you have ordered the salad but you might as well as gone with the pizza... watch out for mayo/cheese/cream that is often in them.
Don't eat alone! Or at least take a book. Its very hard to eat slowly when you are alone, as you have better things to do, and rush or you are watching others eat, which makes you starving.
Make sure you have snacks - healthy ones! Keep some healthy snacks (some cherry toms/sweet shelling peas/french beans) on hand and then you wont succumb to chocolate/sweets/crisps etc. when there is nothing else on offer.
Try eating a starter + side order rather than a main course. Being at the mercy of a resturant menu can make it hard, so a small dish and a salad can be a good alternative.
Avoid buffets/carveries/eat-as-much-as-you-wants. Just don't go there... no need to explain.
Skip Hotel breakfasts - buy your own cereal. Don't eat the often sugary cereals on offer or let the smell of bacon drive you insane.

Got any more?

Pretty informative. However, not all sauces are bad. light salad dressings, honey, and other low fat and sugar sauces can be good in moderation ( two tablespoons ).

cachalot
07-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Great post and list of things that can derail you off your best-laid weight loss plans when you're travelling or working away from home. I have found that for me, the worst is when I don't explicitly plan a time for my workouts, they kind of go out the window. I'll think "Oh, I'll just exercise when I get home/sometime in the evening/afternoon/etc" and then when I do get home, I feel so tired from the day that I let the exercising go and eat a big dinner. So planning your workout into your schedule is a must! (even if it means getting up early XD)

Also, when travelling with friends, it's easy to not work out because you're on someone else's schedule, not just your own. If your hotel doesn't have a gym, that means you have to work out in the room or go out running outside, and that may earn some questionable looks from your friends, if they don't exercise regularly. I've found the best way to get around this is to get up a couple of hours earlier than the rest of my party and sneak in a run or workout, and then by the time I get back to the hotel room, they are waking up and we can all enjoy our day with each other without me worrying about offending them if I feel like I should take part of the day to exercise.

UchihaSasuK8
07-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Pretty informative. However, not all sauces are bad. light salad dressings, honey, and other low fat and sugar sauces can be good in moderation ( two tablespoons ).

Oh yeah, I know there are some ok ones out there! But often a menu will just say "house dressing" or its easy to not realise what goes into something. Especially with shop-bourght sandwiches.

I find lemon/lime juice (with or without some crushed chillies) or balsamic vinegar also makes something more interesting/less dry.

Kasinator
07-22-2010, 07:49 AM
People who want more "zest in their food look for powdered ingredients like cilantro or crushed red peppers.

Yukikittie
07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you!! This thread helps a lot!