PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour pet peeve

distantarray
07-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Anyone notice when Under Armour first came out, only fitness buffs were pretty much wearing them, but now it seems atleast in my area Under Armour have found itself to the overweight population.... I'm sorry I'm at 11% body fat right now and I STILL feel like a over stuff sausage wearing one.... I guess these guys love it cause people extremely over weight people tend to sweat quite easily, but oh my god.... don't wear the compression ones, but wear the loose fitting ones plz...... especially to the gym....

SamuriSmurfX
07-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Thankfully, I don't have the same issue at either of my gyms. I wear the compression ones, but I'm one of maybe five people between both gyms who wear under armor oddly enough. I do see your trouble though - it's like those girls who wear shirts to show off their stomachs who really have no place in doing that ...only for guys. That 'Wow - do you know what your doing to yourself' effect.

Kasinator
07-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I find them snazzy to wear, and I cant really tell people what to wear. The way I see it, I helps with the sweat problem, and can even motivate to slim down, the only problem is getting them off later. I still have this problem myself. But I love anything skintight. for my cosplay, Its mandatory attire for skintight. which really motivates me. for those who workout and have skintight cosplays in the future look for bikini glue. its a rub on light adhesive that will make your clothes stick to your muscles showing your definition. :bigtu:

89th_Alice
07-23-2010, 03:31 AM
I wear them during training, for exactly what they were designed for; to absorb sweat and in winter heat-tech under armor to keep myself warm.

But under armor is just that, UNDER armor. You're supposed to wear something over it.

Kungfufish
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't wear under armour, I like wearing loose fitting shirts. It doesn't really bother me to see overweight people or girls with a pooche wearing it. But it is annoying when that's the only thing that guys wear to the gym and then they go everywhere else in it like the store and other places.

KyasarinUriruzu
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't wear under armour, I like wearing loose fitting shirts. It doesn't really bother me to see overweight people or girls with a pooche wearing it. But it is annoying when that's the only thing that guys wear to the gym and then they go everywhere else in it like the store and other places.

I second that! True, under armor is beneficial when used correctly. But if you wear it around all day and out in public like its a statement then it's kind of tacky.

distantarray
07-23-2010, 03:46 PM

it can be kinda tacky, but ever seen a built guy with a baggy shirt on? they just look fat =P not saying they have to wear a shirt tight enough to show each pack of their abs, but loose shirts look stupid on a huge guy as well.

89th_Alice
07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't think they look fat. You can still see that they are built/toned, but that could just be my opinion...

distantarray
07-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't think they look fat. You can still see that they are built/toned, but that could just be my opinion...

you can still tell they have a shape under it, but you can't tell how much usually. If their body fat isn't too low sometimes it end up looking not like pecs but man breasts.... if you wear a loose shirt with a well developed back it also makes you look like your hunching over a little bit. Of course this isn't talking about a little bit of muscle, but someone that's pretty well built.

Personally I think under armour is too tight to wear outside unless you have sweating issues. I loved wearing under armour in Vietnam cause 1. there is almost no a/c ANYWHERE. 2. it's 95 degrees weather 3. my body is always sweating if I'm not careful. So i have a choice between walking around with wet spots or wearing under armour in Vietnam. Although I did get funny looks a lot cause most guys don't have enough protein at their disposal or the desire to get huge. I was probably in the top 0.5% when I went to Vietnam compared to the locals which was strange.

I can understand in places like Vietnam with little to no a/c but in America where almost everywhere has a/c I think if your not wearing workout shorts can look a little tacky sometimes.

Squeesax
07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I wear the compression shirt under a light weight loosing fitting shirt :/ That's really what it's MEANT for, keeping your body cool under whatever you're wearing (like guys that wear them underneath all their football equipment). Those super buff guys that wear them jogging around the block can get away with it but pretty much no one of average build XD

I noticed this a few years ago while still in school, it sort of became a fashion trend among the jocks and girls started getting into it to. And it wouldn't be people just wearing the compression shirts, it was a brand thing. Really stupid >_>

I don't really see people in the gym wearing them that much, unless its an athlete.

Archangelz
07-25-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm a huge fan of under armour when i go jogging as it provides totally helps with any possible chaffing. That being said, I do want to agree with some of you others who mentioned how annoying and/or tacky it is when people wear the shirts out at stores. I hate seeing that, whether or not they are well built doesn't really change how annoying it seems.

FE Freak
07-25-2010, 06:33 PM
While we don't have the Under Armour fad going on down here, a fair amount of people (especially women) wear tight shirts and pants that don't compliment their body type and make "rolls" bulge out more than they have to.

To wrap up, it's like people complaining that sneakers are only for gym. We wear sneakers everywhere. Apparently people wear UA everywhere too. Think your thoughts and keep on walkin'.

To OP: I have less than 10% body fat and I feel great wearing skin-tight shirts. You should too. 11% is pretty lean, sir.

distantarray
07-26-2010, 05:50 AM
While we don't have the Under Armour fad going on down here, a fair amount of people (especially women) wear tight shirts and pants that don't compliment their body type and make "rolls" bulge out more than they have to.

To wrap up, it's like people complaining that sneakers are only for gym. We wear sneakers everywhere. Apparently people wear UA everywhere too. Think your thoughts and keep on walkin'.

To OP: I have less than 10% body fat and I feel great wearing skin-tight shirts. You should too. 11% is pretty lean, sir.

lol 11% is pretty lean but still don't feel comfortable, maybe just a bit too self conscious. Especially if you actually went by the size chart which I think is done terribly wrong. Compression shirt says I should wear a medium, felt like I couldn't breath lol, so I wear a large and it fits nice, With a medium I can even show off a 6pack through the shirt I think that's bit too tight....

but for the gym I think it's fine as long as your in shape, but personally I prefer tank tops since I tend to sweat A LOT when I workout I tend to sweat less with my shoulders and chest slightly exposed. I get a little wet spot on my chest but hey, if your not sweating your not working out hard enough imo =)

If running outside I think most guys usually run topless? Maybe I'll just go run on the beach as an excuse not to feel self conscious, but feel strange when I think about running on the sidewalk down the street.

My only thing is UA should be for athletes or people in great shape, what it was meant for. Under Armour wasn't anything revolutionary, it was actually made from the same material as pants used in the NFL. Just no one really thought about making shirts from it go figure lol.

Personally I don't care for under armour too much because I do get a better feel from a tank top, but since I have the tendency to be able to sweat pretty easily, I'd say maybe I should start wearing it under a suit? (Florida gets damn hot even at night) Moisture wicking just makes my shirt feel like it's damp not wet.

PhDPepper
07-27-2010, 03:40 AM
What i hate is that the cut pattern on compression underarmor changed in the past few years. Guess i can't really help it though, they have to accommodate for the new crowd buying them. Nice thing is underarmor lasts forever. I've had mine for around 5 years and they still look new.

distantarray
07-27-2010, 03:42 AM
What i hate is that the cut pattern on compression underarmor changed in the past few years. Guess i can't really help it though, they have to accommodate for the new crowd buying them. Nice thing is underarmor lasts forever. I've had mine for around 5 years and they still look new.

as long as you don't have pets, they're the only thing that can ruin them!

PhDPepper
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
as long as you don't have pets, they're the only thing that can ruin them!

Sounds like someones talking from experience? LOL. But dunno, underarmor metal series is like $50-60 a shirt. I'd be really pissed off at that pet, lol.

Airst
07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I feel you are trying to say your Gym should have a cover up policy. though I don't agree that protective clothing should be reserved for the elitist.

most people at my gym tend to wear compression/protective clothing. If I looked around the room I wouldn't be able to pick out most of the people who are wearing them as people tend to hide it.
I always conceal mine under a old baggy pair of cargo shorts and ratty t shirt when I'm doing long distance running (makes me look rather amatuer when jogging:D).

distantarray
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I feel you are trying to say your Gym should have a cover up policy. though I don't agree that protective clothing should be reserved for the elitist.

most people at my gym tend to wear compression/protective clothing. If I looked around the room I wouldn't be able to pick out most of the people who are wearing them as people tend to hide it.
I always conceal mine under a old baggy pair of cargo shorts and ratty t shirt when I'm doing long distance running (makes me look rather amatuer when jogging:D).

it doesn't have to be reserved for elitests but you should have the common decency to know what looks good. wearing under armour compression clothing without having your weight in check is the same as girls with muffin tops wearing jeans 3 sizes too small. Just looks like shit. Fat people wearing speedos....no thank you this is basically what it ends upto be. Under Armour makes moisture wicking shirts that aren't compression. I think they should use those til they in shape. wearing under i have no problems, but it's just not attractive wearing it out if your not in shape, if I sound like an asshole I don't care, atleast I'm an honest one =p

distantarray
07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Sounds like someones talking from experience? LOL. But dunno, underarmor metal series is like $50-60 a shirt. I'd be really pissed off at that pet, lol.

lol yea from experience cat claws will pull small lines on it making it look like crap m-_-m