PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get in shape because of parents?

Kookookachoo
07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Before I start, I just want to say that I'm very new to this site so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post this as a new thread or if I should have replied to a support one but I figured other teens may have this problem as well. Otherwise, let me know if it should be removed :)

Now onwards!
I don't blame my parents for me being out of shape but I will say they have definitely made things difficult! Only because they care though. But what I mean is that I don't really have control over my diet. What ever we have for dinner is final. And sometimes (such as tonight haha) they want to give us a treat so they have a bbq or something and then we're going out get ice cream later. As much as I appreciate it, I know that if I were living on my own and were buying my own groceries, I would not have half the food that we currently do.

Granted, I am a relatively healthy weight for a 15 year old (5'5" and 113.6lbs) but there's definitely 5-10 lbs I would like to lose due to my belly. I have lost most of that before by doing situps after each major meal but because it isn't a ton of weight to lose and it takes time, it can come back in almost one day of not very good eating. So it's extremely difficult to keep off any weight I lose when I barely control my diet.

Now that I've been home alone for most of the summer, I've been using my mom's treadmill every other day (I'm at her house every other day and then my dad's) for about a half hour. 20 min of running, 10 min walking. Other than that, I have no equipment.
I suppose that I have to run with what I'm given and just make sure I don't overeat what ever my parents make. In the case of those ice cream days, I'll try and get frozen yogurt or something healthier instead.

So if your having the same problem or maybe have some suggestions, I'd really love to hear! It'd be nice to know of anything I can to to help this situation. Thanks! <3

Chirudesu
07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I have the same exact problem. My parents always raised me to 'eat everything on your plate or don't eat at all' and I can't escape dinner either. I can control my other 2 meals and my mom only cooks a few times a week, but the parents buy the groceries, therefore there is nothing healthy in the house except a bag of salad and a couple apples. Like THAT'S gonna help me =\ So yes, I've decided that I can get rid of little things, like no sauce with whatever comes with dinner, and maybe no mayo on a sandwich, no cheese, etc. If there's a way to get rid of 'extra' calories and unhealthy things, I'll try it. And of course doing that with eating a little less works. Good luck!

p8ntballsniper8
07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I have relatively the same issue. I'm in the military so fitness is a big part of my life. While I was at college, it was relatively easy for me to get rid of all the extra baggage I had cause I could pick my diet.

However, since I'm home for summer break, my food is cooked by my family, and as an example, last night for dinner we had rather large cheeseburgers (Had to be like a 3/4 lb burger, of which I had two *shame*).

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot you can do, but you can make up for the unhealthy eating by eating healthy at breakfast and lunch. I'm not really losing alot of weight right now, but I am keeping it steady. When your family makes something unhealthy, don't eat alot of it. But don't starve yourself either.

OR

The best thing you could probably do is tell your parents you're wanting to eat healthier to lose weight, so maybe you could go with them when they go grocery shopping, and pick out your own meals to eat. That way when they're eating fast food, or Macaroni and Cheese, you can sit down with something that's better for your body. Just remember, it's alright to eat unhealthy foods from time to time, so you don't need to miss out whenever your parents treat you to a special dinner, just do it in moderation.

Although doing sit-ups isn't bad, it won't help maintain your weight (or waist for that matter). Cardio exercise is really the only thing that will.

Another tip, the best way to lose weight (if you have these resources available) is to go swimming in a pool for 30 minutes, then go into the sauna for 30 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Do that a couple times in one day, then the next time you go (either the next day or hte day after) do 45 minutes in the pool, 30 minutes in the sauna.

But never, ever, go over a half hour in the sauna.

Just remember, weight loss comes from burning off more than you eat.

Kookookachoo
07-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I have the same exact problem. My parents always raised me to 'eat everything on your plate or don't eat at all'
I was raised the same way. The only thing was that I BARELY ate when I was a kid so they gave up trying haha. Unfortunately, my appetite has significantly changed since then and I eat a lot more. But I'll try eliminating those little extra calories!

The best thing you could probably do is tell your parents you're wanting to eat healthier to lose weight, so maybe you could go with them when they go grocery shopping, and pick out your own meals to eat. That way when they're eating fast food, or Macaroni and Cheese, you can sit down with something that's better for your body. Just remember, it's alright to eat unhealthy foods from time to time, so you don't need to miss out whenever your parents treat you to a special dinner, just do it in moderation.
Yeah, whenever I think about it, it always seems to come down to just letting my parents know. I'm sure my mom would be receptive too.
I've been making sure to get some cardio in when I can, like the treadmill. So I'm hoping that will help. And at my dad's house, I have a yoga dvd which I plan on trying out. Unfortunately, I have no pool to swim in :C but when we happen to go to one, I'll try that!

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply :)

distantarray
07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
even if you have no choice on what to eat, you can control WHEN and HOW MUCH you eat. Just talk to your parents and I'm sure they'll be fine with you eating a smaller amount as long as you put some to the side and finish it later. If you really want to start getting healthier cut all meals in half and eat twice as often.

Also your on the internet, there's thousands of websites and information at your finger tips, just a lack of equipment is no excuse. It does sound ghetto but people use anything as weights like water bottles, bag of groceries, a old swing set etc. There are PLENTY of people who workout at a playground just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8

These guys use anything, bus stop overhangs, trash cans, light posts etc anything they can find, and they're showing more progress than most people at a gym. When I went on Vacation I'd do pull ups on a door overhang and got wierd looks while people rode or walked by but it's all about how much your willing to do. Of course you need a bit more confidence to pull some of these things off cause most people are too timid to workout in a place other than a gym.

If you want a nice ass there's NOTHING better than squats and lunges, and with BOTH you do not need any kind of equipment than a set of good legs.

The hardest thing to generally workout at home is your back, but even with a gallon jug filled with sand will allow you to do one arm rows, and with a broom stick and a little rigging like putting it ontop of the seats of two chairs you can do pull ups that look like a upside down push up. Then sometimes you can find something to hang on that's sturdy is perfectly fine. You can also get a set of resistance bands at a store $10 and wrap it around a post or even putting the end on your feet as you pull.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm
A good site to get you started.

Kookookachoo
07-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks so much!
The resourcefulness of someone who is determined can be incredible sometimes! I'm sure there are ways to make homemade equipment type things and I check those out. And that link proves that you don't need all that flashy equipment as well!
For now I have a yoga dvd that I'll try out too.
As far as eating, yeah, It'll essentially be up to me to set aside some of the food and actually stop eating when I'm not hungry.
Those are awesome resources though and I'll try and take advantage of them :D

4eyedlunatic
07-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I agree with most of the other people that cardio is important, because sit-ups and the like will only tone muscles and actually make you weigh more > n >
One of my favorite ways to get a cardio workout is to learn para-paras :D
That way you can have some para-paras ready for any con you may be going to.
Might I suggest "Love and Joy" since it has lots of jumping in it, but most dances are pretty fun and can really get your heart rate up c:
I hope this helps some > u <

sakuralove
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
my dad used to get on my case about eating dinner but i get sick if i eat when i'm not hungery so after a while on school time he gave up, but a good way to infulence your diet is to make it yourself. i'm sure whoever does the cooking would love some time off and you just need to find a good recipe that they like with less calories. also eat salad with dinner its good filler and a chicken salad can count and you dish it out so you dont have to eat more than you want. still go shopping with whoever does the shopping, switch to lo fat ands whole grain. get a small ice cream and go for a half hour run afterwards. i did 300 jumping jacks a day for a few months and lost 8 pounds. i'm 123 at age 18 some i kinda know where your comming from.

lexy-chan
07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
My weight gain is primarily because of my parents, sadly. I was raised to clean my plate, even if I wasn't hungry, because wasted food was a terrible thing. Mind you, my parents grew up starving half the time in their own families, so I can see this ideology. In addition, I never was shown physical fitness and never was enrolled in sports. So by the time my doctor told me to see a nutritionist, I was 5'10" and weighed 230 lbs. Yikes.

I started losing weight, and sad as it sounds, I basically had to fight my parents over changing proportions in meals, plate sizes, food choices, and even skipping meals if I had NO hunger in me at all. I also started weighing myself everyday, which they did not appreciate. However, after a little bit under a year with some exercise, I am now 180lbs, the thinnest I've ever been in my life. My parents don't really say much anymore (they bite their tongues if anything), and in a way, the process has opened their eyes as well.

So maybe while you try to change your habits and exercise, encourage your parents to do the same :)

Kookookachoo
07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
More awesome suggestions! Thanks guys!
I'm looking into each of them.
Also, just hearing your successes really motivates me to keep going at it and not give up. So far things are going fairly well. Thanks again. And your all doing really really well so I want to say congratulations on making the effort to be healthy! :D

fujyoshi
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Granted, I am a relatively healthy weight for a 15 year old (5'5" and 113.6lbs) but there's definitely 5-10 lbs I would like to lose due to my belly.

wow you sound really tiny I'm like 5'6'' and 130 o-o but thats also because I exercise and stuff. You can always explain to them your plans in that area. As for exercising that has to be more of an organized thing and to start out mellow and work your way up. Its actually not easy to come up wit a regular regiment out 'a the blue, because you either work a certain area too hard or one not enough and it just gets crazy. If you don't have a gym membership though I'd suggest that fit tv channel has little exercising things on it. You could just get equipment and work out to that :'D

rubyspitfire
07-28-2010, 12:10 AM
at the risk of sounding like a concerned parent... if you're under 18 and aren't obese please don't try to "lose weight". it's much better to work out and tone up instead of trying to starve yourself. it's a well-known fact that muscle weighs more, so as you get fit you will actually gain weight while losing fat. i'm 5'8" and around 120 now, was up to 135 in high school when i lifted and around 130 when i worked in a warehouse. if obesity is an issue, do like lexy said and eat smaller portions, but do so more often. healthy snacking will help to increase your metabolism. if you've done all of this and have lost weight but have a little extra skin (i had a gut after getting up to 160 while pregnant) all i can say is exercise exercise exercise... crunches help but don't do too many or your stomach will actually get bigger. walking/running, biking, and swimming are all good things to do to tone up in general since you use all of your body for this and they are good cardio exercises. military-style workouts are awesome, i posted a link to the national guard's fitness page in another post and you can slightly modify the exercises to your ability and/or budget and still get benefits from them

also please remember that if you are under 18 your body is still growing. don't do anything to damage that, either from overstressing yourself with an insane workout or starving yourself trying to lose 10 pounds that just don't want to come off

MissLlil
07-28-2010, 02:53 AM
I agree with RubySpitFire. Don't focus on dropping pounds but being healthier and more active. Cardio will help a lot (running, biking, anything that keeps your heart rate up). One note about running, don't do too much too fast. I started running like a maniac a couple years ago and messed up my knees for a little bit. My poor body wasn't used to all that stress.

Calories are not bad for you. If you are a young active person, you will burn them off. Sounds like you just need to focus on certain areas you'd like to see improvement.

Eat smaller portions, but eat more often.

Next time your parents take you to get Ice Cream, tell them you are trying to eat healthier and ask for an apple instead. Hell, throw some cinnamon on it if they are DESPERATE about you have a desert. Practice saying this in a respectful manner and with a smile like you are proud of yourself... you'd be shocked how much you can talk people into stuff just the way you say it.

Tell your parents you want to plan and cook dinner for the family. Find some healthy meals you would like to cook (tons of recipes online), go with Mom to the store and get materials, cook a healthy dinner. Throw in a healthy snack for everyone too.

TheRad1
07-28-2010, 03:34 AM
There are many great ways to shed/tone up to the body you want. Diet is an important part, and I always found that upping your protein intake(let the jokes commence) to at least a gram to your body weight(I'm 165, so I need at least 165 grams of protein). Keep your carbs in check, overdueing carbs at dinner and sleeping within a 3 hour period of eating can have negative effects. Pushups, situps, crunches, lunges, leg lifts, side bend and pullups are a good way to help you get positive results. Everyone who's commented before has great ideas. Probably the biggest thing you, as well as everyone else, has to worry about is motivation. So, good luck to you, and keeps us posted!!

Uberwekkness
07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
In the past couple years, the food my dad cooks has tasted worse and worse. That man uses waaaay too much butter in his potatoes. Anyway, I've done two things to sort of fix this.

1. Go shopping with my parents. I don't go every time, but if I'm right there, I can say, "hey, these yogurts are 60 cents a pop, can I get some?"

2. (Somewhat as a result of 1) My dad now asks me a bit more often about what I'd like for dinner, so I've started occasionally doing meal planning with him. I do the same with my mom when she has a day off and feels like cooking. They'll suggest something I don't think I'd eat, so I say "Let's try something new". Then I look at recipes with them online for a bit and figure something out. We had one of the best dinners in months, because of that. :)

3. If you're not sure how to get this sort of thing going, try telling them you want to learn to cook. If you have a recipe, it's not hard. If you've never cooked before, cook with them, and look at enough tutorials to get the hang of things, and offer to cook a dinner once in a while. Then you'll be making what you want to make. If there's extra, tell them you'll have it the next day for lunch or something, instead of being made to wolf down more food than you really want.

Keep in mind though, that if you start exercising a lot, you need to have a good emount of protein and carbs in your diet.

Kookookachoo
07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
fgh wow thank you guys so much for all these suggestions!! o.o
As far as weight goes, I haven't really been looking at the scale too much anymore. Because as stated by a few people, it's not healthy to go on crazy and unsupervised diets/workouts at my age and especially if I'm not even really that unhealthy to begin with. But I would like to get in shape. I mean, when I'm running around with my friends, they can go super fast and super long and I end up being the slow one and stop half way. I don't think that's good so I think doing some exercise will be healthy for me. And I really would like to get rid of that little pouch on my stomach.
But I will most definitely take your advice and be very careful on what is actually reasonable for my situation. So yeah, a full blown diet probably is not... Going to the grocery store and collaborating with my parents are ^-^

I really really do appreciate all of this because just replying to these comments has at least kept health in the front of my mind and really helped with motivation.
As far as keeping everyone posted with progress, I do feel a bit more comfortable and I'm going to a water park in a couple of days and I'm not worried at all about bathing suits and such. I've been sticking to healthier eating and I think it'll pay of in the long run

Epiphanous
08-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Everyone has had some really good things to say on this thread, and again, I wanted to bring attention to Rubyspitfire's comment. Here's why: I work out quite a lot, and what's funny is that I'm only 5'1 and I weigh the SAME as you! Like I believe you mentioned in one of your replies, it's not really weight you should be focused on so much as just getting your body in shape in general. In the end, you'll find yourself feeling much better.

For the pure sake of shedding fat, like everyone else has said, cardio is great, but it'll also do a very helpful thing for you, which is increase your metabolism. This way, whatever calories you eat will burn faster - this is why some major athletes have to eat a lot of food. Here's a circuit that you can do at home - you can eliminate the medicine ball drills if you don't have anything to substitute it with, but finding stuff to stack shouldn't be too hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVz2L4KJYk

Another note about proteins vs. carbs: eat carbs BEFORE you work out, because they'll serve as your fuel. Eat protein AFTER you work out because they help repair and build your muscles. To me, the easiest thing (besides buying protein bars and whatnot) is to just eat a hard boiled egg, but be careful of the yolk, because it has a TON of cholesterol. Don't load up on too many carbs unless you know you're going to be working out soon. If it's a non-working out day, anything high in fiber is a good way to go. Also, make sure that you drink a lot of water, especially if you sweat a lot. It'll help clean out your system and it's a good reminder whenever you're eating to not eat too much, since it'll make you feel fuller faster.

I don't know if you go with your parents to the grocery store, but like Uberwekkness said, it's a good way to get involved with what you're eating. If you do, it's important to look at the labels of foods and see how much fat/saturated fat is in them, as you want to avoid those.

Again, judging by the weight/height that you gave, you shouldn't be feeling bad about your body at all. If anything, getting yourself in shape is something you should do for yourself for health, being able to be more active, and of course, self confidence! I wish you the best of luck - PM me if you have any questions :)

Uberwekkness
08-01-2010, 05:15 AM
The water thing is a good piece of advice. Water is pretty important, and I think a lot of people don't drink enough of it. I started drinking a lot of water because I'm stubborn (won't drink soda unless it's refrigerated, little brother basically never put sodas in the fridge like he's supposed to, lots of water drinking ensued.) What's interesting though, is since water has become the thing I drink most often in the past few years, soda tasted kind of gross now.

Basically, if you drink soda, try drinking glasses of ice water instead. It's better for you, and saves money and all that, and after a few months, you won't miss soda that much. Also, soooooo refreshing...

xmaster
08-01-2010, 09:29 AM
It's understandable that you're out of control, but it's basically your power of will. If they've made rich food (Food that's high in sugar, and foods that have lots of flavours. Basically, foods with a big flavour, like take-aways and big dinners like sunday roast, are rich foods) then eat it, but perhaps don't have any desert.

And for breakfast (Because i'm sure you eat cereal or toast) eat cereal that is high in fibre. If you look around you can find nice tasting ones that are healthy ones. Usually people think of horrible bran flakes and stuff when you say healthy cereal, but there are nice tasting ones. And never put any sugar on top of them. Plus, if you have toast, eat it with jam. Peanut butter, butter, chocolate spread etc are all full of fat. That's why you spread the butter very thinly when you have sandwiches, because it's very fatty.

It's the little things basically, if you keep and eye on them, it all adds to one big things. Oh and try to have one apple or something at lunch. I know they say 5 a day, but no one does that. XD try to have at least one.

You'll find you'll have better skin too if you eat rich, fatty, sugary foods very little or in moderation.

xmaster
08-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh and like everyone says, lots and lots of water.

Kookookachoo
08-01-2010, 05:12 PM
it's getting hard to catch up on replies! xD

anyway, protein and carbs and such are things that I haven't been watching as much as just eating better in general. But what Epiphanous had mentioned about eating before and after working out is something I'll be watching out for from now on! I can imagine it would make a pretty big difference in metabolism so I'll keep an eye on those more now.
And with water, I have definitely made a change in the last couple of months. Before, I used to literally have maybe a small cup of water each day and that was it. Now I've been carrying a glass all around the house with me all day and refilling it. I've learned the importance of fluids by watching my older brother. He drinks at least 8 glasses of iced tea every day and eats the worst foods but somehow he's skinny as a pole. He's got a much different metabolism then me.
So again, thanks so so so much! xD

distantarray
08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
it's getting hard to catch up on replies! xD

anyway, protein and carbs and such are things that I haven't been watching as much as just eating better in general. But what Epiphanous had mentioned about eating before and after working out is something I'll be watching out for from now on! I can imagine it would make a pretty big difference in metabolism so I'll keep an eye on those more now.
And with water, I have definitely made a change in the last couple of months. Before, I used to literally have maybe a small cup of water each day and that was it. Now I've been carrying a glass all around the house with me all day and refilling it. I've learned the importance of fluids by watching my older brother. He drinks at least 8 glasses of iced tea every day and eats the worst foods but somehow he's skinny as a pole. He's got a much different metabolism then me.
So again, thanks so so so much! xD

should'nt compare different body types to of other people to your own, but another interesting fact about drinking water. DRINK IT AS COLD AS POSSIBLE. the colder it is, it can speed up your metabolism by about 30% for 30-40minutes. Since your body works hard to restore it's body core temp.

DevTehFiend
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I finally caught my own parents so I could go shopping with them. For the past couple of weeks they had been leaving me behind and bringing home breaded chickens and not a SINGLE vegetable to have for lunch. -_- Got some not breaded stuff for lunch and I"m feeling really good about it.

Epiphanous
08-01-2010, 10:55 PM
should'nt compare different body types to of other people to your own, but another interesting fact about drinking water. DRINK IT AS COLD AS POSSIBLE. the colder it is, it can speed up your metabolism by about 30% for 30-40minutes. Since your body works hard to restore it's body core temp.
Wow, I didn't know that!!! It makes so much sense, thanks for posting that fact :D

Uberwekkness
08-02-2010, 03:54 AM
It's understandable that you're out of control, but it's basically your power of will. If they've made rich food (Food that's high in sugar, and foods that have lots of flavours. Basically, foods with a big flavour, like take-aways and big dinners like sunday roast, are rich foods) then eat it, but perhaps don't have any desert.

I thought "rich foods" were foods that fill you up fast in general. Like dense stuff.

xmaster
08-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Yeah, no, that's why it's rich. Think about McDonalds. It's full of fat, salt, fibre, lots of ingredients and flavourings. Very much like a Sunday roast (Which has meats and veg, things cooked in certain ways) or an expensive meal at a restaurant. They've all been cooked and are full of lots of tastes. (Hence salt and fat and flavourings and stuff) thus it's a rich food. Did that make sense? :/

xmaster
08-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Oh, and yeah, hence why take-aways fill you up fast and make you feel kinda bloated. But they put lots of salt in them, so even if you eat a plate full, you still feel like you want to eat more. It's a bit deceptive. Salt makes you thirstier and hungrier.

Kookookachoo
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM

I had no idea about the temperature! That's quite interesting but it definitely makes sense. I'll add a couple of ice cubes from now on! :D

And congratulations, DevTehFiend! My dad always comes home with cookies and ice cream when he goes food shopping so I'm just trying to ignore that their there xD which has actually worked out surprisingly well!
I'm going to try and catch him next time though and hopefully do the same as you ;)

distantarray
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, no, that's why it's rich. Think about McDonalds. It's full of fat, salt, fibre, lots of ingredients and flavourings. Very much like a Sunday roast (Which has meats and veg, things cooked in certain ways) or an expensive meal at a restaurant. They've all been cooked and are full of lots of tastes. (Hence salt and fat and flavourings and stuff) thus it's a rich food. Did that make sense? :/

I wouldn't nessasarily say "Rich" foods are bad, cause there are stuff that are rich in flavor like honey mustard, bbq sauce and etc that are'nt filled with fat and very low calories. BBQ chicken would probably be considered rich in that context but is a pretty healthy meal.

the reason why fats are generally bad is because fat has the highest number of calories, and tends to be oil baed. The more oily something is the longer it take to digest slowing down your metabolism. We all should know by now that eating small meals more frequently should be the way to go. Cause it speeds up your metabolism when your readily digesting, but once you over eat (when you feel full) your body slows down cause all the bloood is rushed to your stomach to speed up digestion. Slowing your metabolism down down down down down.....

Not to mention that hunger is easier to control in small portions because the smaller meals more often will reduce the elasticity of your stomach, meaning lesss will eventually make you full =)

Also 6 meals a day doesn't mean 6 real meals if you don't have to, you can sub a protein shake at any time as a meal replacement if you don't have much time. Protein is great cause it takes 2-3 hours to normally digest keeping your body active and is a clean lean source of energy.

* slim fast and ensure DOES NOT count as a protein shake. WAY too much carbs, not enough protein and the price is 4-6x a regular whey protein, just mix it yourself and don't be so lazy to having to resort to a can.... Also if you haven't tried Whey protein shakes, it tastes MUCH better than slim fast or ensure.

Also another thing if you don't care turn the thermostat in your house down low as you can tolerate. The colder it is again like water your body works hard to heat up so it'lll help you burn a little bit of extra calories even when you sleep.

daouchiha
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Let me start off by saying I'd kill for your body weight, since I'm only slightly older than you and at least 70 lbs. heavier than you. The problem is my dad doesn't care how much I eat and my mom hardly wants me to eat at all. So recently I've started trying to do more muscle-building excercises in the morning as soon as I get out of bed.

As for your parents giving you too much food, You should probably just limit yourself. Say, they have BBQ: only eat one of whatever they cook, and when you go eat ice cream, get a kid's sundae. But honestly, I don't think you're overweight at all. If you want to get a more shapely figure then excercise and gain muscles.

secretsof2113
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
This sounds exactly like a lot of the stuff that I go through, except I feel I'm in even less control than you guys. I graduated from college about a year and a half ago, and I've been working to get some bills paid off, and savings set up before I move out of my house. While I was away at college, I was able to maintain my weight for the most part. I ate pretty well, biked when it was warm enough to, and was in control of what I ate. Looking back now, I really wish I would have sucked it up and used my free membership to the workout center on campus, and biked a hell of a lot more than I did.

Being back home, I have almost zero control of what I eat. We live in a pretty small house, and my mother hates to cook. Our kitchen is so filled with crap, that it becomes a hassle to get things off the stove to even make anything. Not to mention, she never keeps anything like that in the house, and when she does want to eat....it's always out. I try and eat well, but when you're going to all you can eat buffets, Burger King, Red Robin, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Ihop, Denny's, and countless other restaurants virtually every day, it gets really hard to eat as well as one would like. And my boyfriend and I can't really cook in either of our houses, so we eat out as well. This has caused my weight to balloon to an astonishing 290 pounds. I'm 6 feet tall, so I don't carry it quite as badly as I could, but my knees and the rest of my body certainly feel it on a daily basis. I work full time and I'm on my feet for my shifts, so my knees are almost always sore after work.

As far as working out goes, my house is too small and messy. My mother is also a packrat, and I physically don't have the space in my room to do anything. I'm also terribly uncomfortable doing any exercising in public, as I'm very self conscious about my appearance.

The sad thing? I have a Wii Fit board, I have a DDR mat (a nice metal one at that), and all the other materials necessary for getting a really good cardio workout. But, there's no room for me to use any of the stuff. My mom is prepping for ankle surgery here really soon, so she can't do a whole lot of walking for us to get this house cleaned up. It's terribly frustrating when you know you have little control over things like this.

I've also tried telling her I want to eat better and buy less of the crap groceries that she buys. She laughs at me about it, and then yells when i go out and buy groceries because she doesn't see why I don't get the stuff she wants. And even when we have some food in the house, she'd still rather go out to eat.

She wonders why I'm working so hard to get out of house as soon as she heals from her surgery.

I'm an odd case here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on this one? I really feel as if I have no way out of this.

rubyspitfire
08-13-2010, 01:25 PM
But I would like to get in shape. I mean, when I'm running around with my friends, they can go super fast and super long and I end up being the slow one and stop half way. I don't think that's good so I think doing some exercise will be healthy for me.

i just wanted to add that getting in shape may not help your stamina. i'm anemic and have very low blood pressure (like between the low side of healthy and the high side of walking dead) and have a heart murmur, so even though i'm pretty lean i get tired easily even when i'm taking iron. if working out doesn't make it better, make sure you see a doctor to rule out anything else. chances are cardio exercise will solve that problem for you, but there are always things to watch for. just take it slow, build up to the amount of exercise you think you need to maintain a fit body, and enjoy the rewards ^_^

Epiphanous
08-13-2010, 10:04 PM
This sounds exactly like a lot of the stuff that I go through, except I feel I'm in even less control than you guys. I graduated from college about a year and a half ago, and I've been working to get some bills paid off, and savings set up before I move out of my house. While I was away at college, I was able to maintain my weight for the most part. I ate pretty well, biked when it was warm enough to, and was in control of what I ate. Looking back now, I really wish I would have sucked it up and used my free membership to the workout center on campus, and biked a hell of a lot more than I did.

Being back home, I have almost zero control of what I eat. We live in a pretty small house, and my mother hates to cook. Our kitchen is so filled with crap, that it becomes a hassle to get things off the stove to even make anything. Not to mention, she never keeps anything like that in the house, and when she does want to eat....it's always out. I try and eat well, but when you're going to all you can eat buffets, Burger King, Red Robin, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Ihop, Denny's, and countless other restaurants virtually every day, it gets really hard to eat as well as one would like. And my boyfriend and I can't really cook in either of our houses, so we eat out as well. This has caused my weight to balloon to an astonishing 290 pounds. I'm 6 feet tall, so I don't carry it quite as badly as I could, but my knees and the rest of my body certainly feel it on a daily basis. I work full time and I'm on my feet for my shifts, so my knees are almost always sore after work.

As far as working out goes, my house is too small and messy. My mother is also a packrat, and I physically don't have the space in my room to do anything. I'm also terribly uncomfortable doing any exercising in public, as I'm very self conscious about my appearance.

The sad thing? I have a Wii Fit board, I have a DDR mat (a nice metal one at that), and all the other materials necessary for getting a really good cardio workout. But, there's no room for me to use any of the stuff. My mom is prepping for ankle surgery here really soon, so she can't do a whole lot of walking for us to get this house cleaned up. It's terribly frustrating when you know you have little control over things like this.

I've also tried telling her I want to eat better and buy less of the crap groceries that she buys. She laughs at me about it, and then yells when i go out and buy groceries because she doesn't see why I don't get the stuff she wants. And even when we have some food in the house, she'd still rather go out to eat.

She wonders why I'm working so hard to get out of house as soon as she heals from her surgery.

I'm an odd case here. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on this one? I really feel as if I have no way out of this.

I don't mean any offense to your mom, but she needs to calm the hell down. I realize that not everyone is like this, but I'm not afraid to get into a yelling contest to stand up for something that I want/believe in.

In this case, it's your LIFE and your HEALTH that you're fighting for, and if you're the one who's paying for the groceries that she wants to eat, then there's no need for her to be such a pain about it unless there's literally no room to store that food. It's ridiculous that she wants to have such negative control over something that could potentially ruin your health (I could go on about all of the physical risks of eating unhealthily, but I'm sure you know enough about it). As a parent, she should want the BEST for you, and should encourage the positive changes you're trying to make for yourself.

Besides me ranting about how wrong it is though, something you could do is go out and eat on your own. I'm lucky enough to live in a place that's very health-oriented, but I know a lot of other places aren't like that. You could try looking at http://www.yelp.com to see if there are any healthier places for you and your boyfriend to eat.

Also, is there any chance you could just NOT go with your family to eat out? All in all, it sounds like your mom needs to get the fact that her child wants to do something good for theirself and that she needs to shape up and be supportive. Stand up for yourself, and hopefully she'll get it. Best of luck to you <3

tsuoi_kaze
08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
I blame my parents. After I moved back home I gained back all the weight I lost even though I made no change whatsoever in my daily diet/exercise.
(j/k, I don't really blame them, but I'm still totally stumped)

You can try doing what I'm currently trying to convince my mother to do and sign up for a family membership to a gym. That way you guys can make exercising in more ways a family thing and they'll be more keen on it? And maybe by encouraging everybody to work out more, eating healthier and skipping the treats will fall into place so that the hard work doesn't go to waste.

distantarray
08-18-2010, 04:51 PM

1. Get the book EAT THIS NOT THAT. for about $10 it shows you that you can eat out at fast food resturants sensibly. Some things I avoided cause I assumed it was bad (prime minister steak rib) and was eating ayers rock steak instead, turns out ayers was 3 times worse literally.... It shows you the top 3 and worst 3 foods to eat at most chain restuarants in the states. GREAT BOOK FOR ANYONE LOOKIN FOR A LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

2. Just cause you go out to eat at burger joints that you have to eat everything there, you can always take a few things home. Portion control is more important than what you eat.

3. Even if you can't workout inside doesn't mean you can't workout OUTSIDE. It doesn't require money to start, jump ropes are $5 at wal-mart or you can even get an extention cord if your that broke, or even just doing jumping jacks is fine. There's even a stick post about a zero budget workout plan on the forums.

4. Also 290 pounds isn't too bad, my friend was literally 490 pound, he slimmed down to 220 pounds of solid muscle with around 6% body fat. Anything is possible if you want it enough.

5. Even if you get unhealthy stuff like pizza or fried chicken, you can always peel the skin off, and blot a ton of grease off the pizza.

6. If the place is messy, clean it so you can actually cook

7. just cause parents are going out for fast food doesn't mean you have to go with, you can just say no.

8. If your really dedicated to a good diet, even though it's super boring, oatmeal, eggs, wheat pasta, peanut butter jelly sandwiches, milk. all are pretty cost effective and great for you.

9. Your mom laughs cause she does'nt believe you can change, so prove her wrong, use this as your driving force. Since no one should know you better than your own parents besides yourself, prove to yourself that you can do it.

Brand
08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Distant, how did your friend get rid of all his excess skin?

Creative Genius
08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
i can only blame myself for the way i eat. I would like to loose some weight...but i need to gain muscle mass at the same time..currently for my height im considered underweight, but my thighs and belly say..your all jiggly and your fat ratio is to high.
I hope this school year i can start going to the gym before class or something like 2 times a week for starters..because i have a friend who want to put our school fitness center to good use.

Epiphanous
08-18-2010, 05:23 PM
i can only blame myself for the way i eat. I would like to loose some weight...but i need to gain muscle mass at the same time..currently for my height im considered underweight, but my thighs and belly say..your all jiggly and your fat ratio is to high.
I hope this school year i can start going to the gym before class or something like 2 times a week for starters..because i have a friend who want to put our school fitness center to good use.

If you're working towards building muscle mass, don't worry too much about losing weight. What'll happen is you'll start losing fat as you work out and thus lose some weight, but as you build muscle (which is heavier than fat) you'll start gaining weight. However, if you're gaining muscle weight, know that it's a good thing!

alpha_helix
08-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Maybe you can offer to help her clean up a bit? It might not seem like a lot but any amount of activity is good for burning off calories, including scrambling around to tidy up. Bonus that it sounds like in your situation, there's a lot of tidying to be done. Even doing yard work is a good activity.

As for not having room to exercise inside, even taking a walk up and down the block is a good start--bonus if you feel comfortable enough to jog or run, but if not a good walk is a darn good start and a great opportunity for some alone time.

If unhealthy groceries are part of the problem, then you should offer to go shopping with your mom. I'm sure your mother will appreciate an extra pair of hands to help with all those bags, and it'll give you a chance to pick some healthier food. Also, healthy food doesn't need to be expensive. One of the cheapest meals you can get is dried beans and rice (brown rice, while a little spendier, is even better), super easy to make and super nutritious. Also, frozen veggies (peas and corn, especially) can be bought cheaply and don't have much loss of nutrients when compared to their fresh counterparts, and they're MUCH cheaper.

When eating out or eating food prepared by others, never feel obilgated to eat the whole thing, If it's self-serve, get a smaller portion, of not, politely say "Gee, that was delicious, but filling. I think I'll save the rest for lunch tomorrow and put in the fridge." Even if you're from a "clean your plate" household, there's really nothing your family can complain about if you save it for later, it's still not wasted.

lelouchx150
08-19-2010, 02:21 AM
So I've gone through reading some of these posts and it seems that most of them are about your parents making you eat everything on your plate or your parents choices in food etc.
I kind of have this problem, but mainly my problem is that I'm embarrassed to work out in front of anyone, especially my parents.

I don't want to sound rude or anything but to be completely honest--my parents are fat. Both of them. And living with both parents my entire life, I've picked up on some of their bad habits--overeating, next to no excercise, and basically becoming a complete couch potato. Now I'm almost 15 years old, 5'3(ish), and about 160 pounds. I know that that doesn't sound too fat, but it definately isn't where I want to be right now.

I'm not trying to put the full blame on my parents--I'm trying to prevent them from feeling like its their fault. It is completely my fault for letting myself go. The problem is I'm just too embarrassed to excercise in front of them. I'm completely out of shape and even a small jog around the block tires me out completely. I am just afraid that if they see me working out and see how hard it is for me to do little things, that they will feel like bad parents or something. It sounds stupid, but I honestly don't want them to blame themselves.

My out-of-shapeness is also the reason why I don't excercise outside, away from my parents eyes--I'm too self-concious for that. I can't afford a gym membership, and that would require my parents to drive me there anyway--not to mention I would be excercising in public. And lately, it seems that at least one parent is always home, and if they aren't, I'm too busy doing other things to just drop everything and work out.

I'm really getting frustrated and running out of options and time here. Does anyone else have this problem/something similar? And what should I do to get into better shape for NYAF in October?? Help would be super appreciative ><

DevTehFiend
08-19-2010, 05:53 AM
So I've gone through reading some of these posts and it seems that most of them are about your parents making you eat everything on your plate or your parents choices in food etc.
I kind of have this problem, but mainly my problem is that I'm embarrassed to work out in front of anyone, especially my parents.

I don't want to sound rude or anything but to be completely honest--my parents are fat. Both of them. And living with both parents my entire life, I've picked up on some of their bad habits--overeating, next to no excercise, and basically becoming a complete couch potato. Now I'm almost 15 years old, 5'3(ish), and about 160 pounds. I know that that doesn't sound too fat, but it definately isn't where I want to be right now.

I'm not trying to put the full blame on my parents--I'm trying to prevent them from feeling like its their fault. It is completely my fault for letting myself go. The problem is I'm just too embarrassed to excercise in front of them. I'm completely out of shape and even a small jog around the block tires me out completely. I am just afraid that if they see me working out and see how hard it is for me to do little things, that they will feel like bad parents or something. It sounds stupid, but I honestly don't want them to blame themselves.

My out-of-shapeness is also the reason why I don't excercise outside, away from my parents eyes--I'm too self-concious for that. I can't afford a gym membership, and that would require my parents to drive me there anyway--not to mention I would be excercising in public. And lately, it seems that at least one parent is always home, and if they aren't, I'm too busy doing other things to just drop everything and work out.

I'm really getting frustrated and running out of options and time here. Does anyone else have this problem/something similar? And what should I do to get into better shape for NYAF in October?? Help would be super appreciative ><

A fifteen year old saying the words "I let myself go" seems strange to me. Up until just recently your parents did make all the decisions for you, so it's understandable you'd inherit their habits, good and bad. You've only been a teenager, and therefor more independent, for a few years, so it's hard to 'let yourself go' like that when all you've known so far in life have been how your parents live. It's neither of your faults, you just have to start making your own choices now.

What you can do is buy your own weight set and keep them in your room for working out. That's what I do. I'm also embarrassed about working out in front of people (not so much in front of my parents, as my dad works out with me sometimes, but with my mom I'd rather just not disturb her) so I do all my weight lifting in my room while I watch TV. It's mostly the fact that we have a guest staying with us, and making conversation with him weirds me out because he has a very weird view of life that clashes with mine intensely, so I don't work out in front of him and give him an excuse to make small talk.

For cardio I just walk around the neighborhood. It's not a lot but it's what I can do.

alpha_helix
08-19-2010, 10:52 AM
you don't even need to buy weights, there are also plenty of weight bearing exercises that can be done against your own body weight and in a very small amount of floorspace: ex, squats, crunches, push ups etc.

lelouchx150
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
A fifteen year old saying the words "I let myself go" seems strange to me. Up until just recently your parents did make all the decisions for you, so it's understandable you'd inherit their habits, good and bad. You've only been a teenager, and therefor more independent, for a few years, so it's hard to 'let yourself go' like that when all you've known so far in life have been how your parents live. It's neither of your faults, you just have to start making your own choices now.

I guess I said that because ever since my parents started to give me more control and independence, which was about 3-4 years ago, I started gaining weight. Back then I used to be a size 0 and now I'm a size 13 :/
But I completely see what you're saying so thanks :)
And thanks for the advice, I could try that :)

DevTehFiend
08-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I guess I said that because ever since my parents started to give me more control and independence, which was about 3-4 years ago, I started gaining weight. Back then I used to be a size 0 and now I'm a size 13 :/
But I completely see what you're saying so thanks :)
And thanks for the advice, I could try that :)

Np ^^ and yeah, I guess I see where you're going with that. My teen years is where I started gaining most of my weight as well, but that's because a year or two prior I quit all of my active hobbies for more sedentary ones (not, like, in exchange for, but I was picked on a lot in dance, and so had no motivation to keep going and started doing more art in place of ballet.)

Chihaku
08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Well basically, I do blame my parents because I was poor back then about 15 years ago, and we never really had any money for a "real dinner", so we just had mcdonalds and nasty fast food about 70% of all meals. I'm actually shocked I'm 230 and not over 300 pounds from all of that food. Well I did lose 5 pounds over the summer, but sadly I lost it. My mom made homemade fries for 3 days and I gained 3 pounds. It makes me sad because even if we don't get fast food, I get something fatty to replace it. I do buy health food, but everyone in my family eats it all up when I only get about 1 or 2 portions of it. I basically have to hide my food now so that they won't eat it all which makes me sad because I can't trust them with food anymore. I can't exercise either because I have very little money, (well I have $100, but only like 10% will be for exercise) no equipment, and working out with the TV had no results whatsoever and I've been working out on the TV for 2 months now. I can't jog or go to a gym because I lack confidence because people in my school are everyone and I'm mostly picked on because I love food so much and I'll never lose weight... Basically I'm weighed down all my life. I really need some suggestions to fix it.

distantarray
08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Well basically, I do blame my parents because I was poor back then about 15 years ago, and we never really had any money for a "real dinner", so we just had mcdonalds and nasty fast food about 70% of all meals. I'm actually shocked I'm 230 and not over 300 pounds from all of that food. Well I did lose 5 pounds over the summer, but sadly I lost it. My mom made homemade fries for 3 days and I gained 3 pounds. It makes me sad because even if we don't get fast food, I get something fatty to replace it. I do buy health food, but everyone in my family eats it all up when I only get about 1 or 2 portions of it. I basically have to hide my food now so that they won't eat it all which makes me sad because I can't trust them with food anymore. I can't exercise either because I have very little money, (well I have $100, but only like 10% will be for exercise) no equipment, and working out with the TV had no results whatsoever and I've been working out on the TV for 2 months now. I can't jog or go to a gym because I lack confidence because people in my school are everyone and I'm mostly picked on because I love food so much and I'll never lose weight... Basically I'm weighed down all my life. I really need some suggestions to fix it.

I find using money as a excuse lame to be honest XD

Even McDonalds will cost aronud $5 for a meal per person, if you spend that $20 and get a pound of steak like eye of round, some rice, little butter, onions. green peppers, mushrooms, sesame oil, eggs, you'll still be well under $20 for a TON of fried rice if you just cook it. It'd cost me about $12-15 at most to make 20 small servings, or 7 huge servings.

Also chicken breasts are like $1 each if you buy, pop it on a george forman grill and get some whole wheat bread, put some lettuce and tomatoes on it with whatever you want and just call it a day.

If you really want to eat right, it's not expensive to cook, people just assume eating healthy is expensive. If your really broke, get a tub of oatmeal, and some eggs VERY healthy meal and should cost less than $5 to feed an entire family without a problem. If money is still an issue after that then yea money is a excuse. Money is not an excuse to eat bad, you can find budget cookbooks, which shows you how to make foods that taste good on a budget. Just gotta look for it =)

Also my friend's mom raised 5 kids working at a grocery store, cause they'd give her all the expired foods. Most people don't know most foods are still good few days to a week after the expired date. Just cause it's "best used before" doesn't mean it's bad right after. Even milk I drink it 2-3 days after as long as it doesn't smell bad.

distantarray
08-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Distant, how did your friend get rid of all his excess skin?

honestly he never had to worry about it, probably cause he was lifting heavy ass weights from the start, remember when you build tons of muscle quickly most people get stretch marks everywhere, I guess since his muscles were big enough it still looks tight on him without him having to ever worry about stretch marks. If he lost the muscles he could have flab tho.

Hundchen
08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Here's some tips I've gathered about eating and maintaining weight:
-instead of eating 3 big meals a day, have several meals a day with smaller portions. That way you aren't starving yourself and then overeating at a meal.
-instead of solid sweets, get a diet soda or something like when you have a craving. This usually cuts down on fat and stuffing yourself (it's easier to devour a piece of cake than to chug an entire bottle of soda)
-center your diet towards more non-processed food, even when you're eating out (fruit, milk, cheese, bread, vegetables, lean meat)
-vie towards liquids if you want a snack. A glass of milk is better for you than a cheeseburger.
-keep food in nontransparant jars. If you don't see the food, you're less likely to have a impulsive snack.
-smell food when you get hungry; it's been proven this can reduce cravings.

Sisshi
08-21-2010, 07:40 PM
My mom likes to buy stuff that's bad for you because she's going through menopause and needs some comfort food.

Here's my biggest problem. There's two bags of chips, they each have the same amount of food and the same size bag and teh same brand. The bag on the left is just plain old potato chips, the bag on the right is baked with low salt....well that bag on the right costs nearly twice as much. I ran out of meal plan real easy when i was living on campus because my one healthy thing cost nearly as much as a full meal of junk food. That's the problem I( have with my mom is I want to eat the healthier stuff but she doesn't want to pay the extra money to get it. So I'm forced to deal with what she buys when I'm on break from school T.T

When I'm at the dorm, I have small snacks through teh day to kep my stomach from rumbling. I eat just enough so I'm not hungry through the day and it's worked so far. Unfortunately, as soon as I loose some weight, I gain more boobage T.T

Brand
08-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah the stretch marks suck. I have them on my biceps from lifting.

D001
08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, however, you could always offer to make a couple meals a week and then you can make what you consider to be healthier and take some control in that manner. On top of that, you also impress your parents by offering to help cook some of the meals. ^_^