PDA

View Full Version : Healthy eating! Tips, recipes, and advice :-)

MissMallyMAK
07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
As we all know, eating right while dieting is just as important as working out if we want to achieve magnificent results. So I thought, since this hasn't been done before, that we could start a thread helping each other out with the foods that we eat, and give any advice diet wise when we seem to be slipping.

Myself for example. Normally each morning, I eat a banana-oatmeal concoction that is just delicious. I mash banana and loose oats together, then pour 1/3 cup of 1% milk and continue stirring. I then microwave the mix together for 1 minute and let it stand. While it microwaves, I slice up an apple (Pink Lady is my favorite variety! It's so juicy and sweet :) ) and when its done cooling, I chop up some apple into tiny pieces and add it to my oatmeal. Then I add a few pinches of cinnamon to it, and I'm done! Its delicious! My mom always adds sugar and butter to hers for the taste, but you really don't need to! The natural sweetness of the apples and cinammon is more than enough flavor, trust me.

Normally thats what I eat for breakfast. During the day, I munch on the remaining apples that I did not cut up into my oatmeal, and I eat granola bars and veggie crisps for snacking purposes. If you are interested, I eat Nature Valley granola bars in the oats and honey or oats and dark chocolate variety (I'm a sucker 4 dark chocolate lol). And the veggie crisps, albeit a bit bland, are very good, and I believe its only 140 calories per 21 crisps. I eat EatSmart brand, in the tomato, spinach, and potato variety. Here is their website: http://www.eatsmartnaturals.com/

for lunch, I normally eat a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, with lettuce, tomato, and a little bit of mustard. I have also found that wheat bread, is WAY more palatable than white bread, and much healthier too. I eat it all the time now, lol! But the sammich is so yummy, and easy to make in a hurry. I normally prepare a lunch early in the morning that has a baggie of my veggie crisps, apples, and a granola bar in case i'm stuck at work, so I a) don't splurge on Starbucks right next door, and b) know I'm eating healthy and portionally appropriate things.

for dinner, I normally stir fry individually wrapped chicken breasts from perdue that come already seasoned (http://www.perdue.com/products/subcategory.html?category_id=3), and mix it with onions, peppers, carrots, corn, and broccoli. I try to make my meals as colorful as I can, and it makes it so much more delicious. My favorite part of cooking healthy is experimenting with different seasonings. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking with basil!!! Can't eat anything without it now lol~

So thats my diet in a nutshell. Sometimes I goof up and eat mountains of chocolate mousse *drool* but I do my best not to go over the top hehe. What about you guys?

ne0ven0m
07-22-2010, 04:55 PM
One of the best things you can to eat healthy is to plan ahead of time and make things readily available. Some examples:

- Buy a variety of fruit and keep it visible, either up front in the fridge or a bowl you can easily see.
- Steam a bulk portion of veggies, put it in plastic container so you can snack out of it anytime. I like broccoli and carrots for this.
- Ditto for something with chicken breasts, just have a few pieces cooked for the week so you can add it to a salad quickly.
- Dairy products are already packaged for convenience so you're good with a glass of milk or carton of Greek yogurt.

This is why we often fall into snacking or going for fast food, because we want something then and there, and don't want to spend energy making it.

noirstar45
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for that EatSmart link. My dad can't eat wheat and sugars, so I've kind of slowly followed his diet, because we tend to eat the same things. Their gluten free product line sounds tastey.

SamuriSmurfX
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Peanut butter bagels.... mmmmmm..

Lady Valentine
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
It's also better to eat small meals every 4 hours rather than to eat 3 big meals. This helps boost your metabolism and helps your digestive system. Eating lots of fiber helps, too.

Watch your sugar intake as well. I'm not saying don't have sugar altogether because our bodies NEED sugar. Sugar is not bad if taken in moderation. 15 grams or less per meal will help you lose weight. It worked for me.

Read labels on the back of food products. Just because the package says it's healthy, it might not be. Watch for bad ingredients like aspartame and MSG.

Most importantly, DON'T STARVE YOURSELF! Your body needs food. It's energy. It's best to eat small portions when you DON'T feel hungry. When you feel hungry and your tummy is all growling, you tend to over-eat.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

89th_Alice
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Apple with a bit of yogurt makes for a great snack or breakfast. You can do this with many fruits, Banana, Kiwi, Melon, Watermelon, Peach -and the list goes on and on...

Carrots, Celery, and radishes make for great snack too!

And eating at a moderate tempo while drinking lots of water, if you just chunk everything down you'll probably eat more before you feel full.

fadedsunrise02
07-23-2010, 06:40 PM

QFT. At least, personally. I always thought that meat made me more energetic, but when I started trying a mostly plant based diet(one serving of meat max per day, and rarely red meat), I had a LOT more energy. I at first thought I was sick with something. Then I found that it was just the meat.

Also:
The generally best way to eat healthy is to cook as much from scratch as possible. If the food even HAS a label, it means it will probably have some kinds of preservative and other chemical ingredients that could possibly be making you fat. EX: for breakfast, instead of cereal and milk, try oatmeal with milk, peanut butter, and maybe cinnamon or other fruit. If you eat natural foods, often you can eat more.

lawliet.
07-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I just made this for dinner today, and it was sooooo good...it was an omelet filled with brown and wild rice with some mozzarella cheese. It was filling and full of good carbs and protein.
For breakfast, I usually go for oatmeal with flaxseed, cinnamon, and live yogurt mixed into it. Throw some berries into that and you're set (I suggest blueberries or blackberries, but whatever floats your canoe).
I've found that whenever I'm craving something sweet, assorted berries lightly drizzled in a little honey are perfect.
Carrots with hummus...mmmm. <3

MissMallyMAK
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I found that if you eat anything with chopsticks, it's much easier to not OVEREAT because (unless you are ridiculously dexterous with them) it takes a good effort and time to use them properly and eat your meal simultaneously. I realized that I sometimes rarely finish my meals (especially if they're big ones) because i'll be too pooped after having used chopsticks and save the rest of it for later. :)

cachalot
07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Eat more vegetables!!! Vegetables have fiber, which makes you feel fuller, and they're full of vitamins. You don't have to have tons of money or time in your budget to eat veggies every day - your local grocery store should have bags of frozen pre-cooked veggies in the freezer section. They're quick to prepare and very cheap.

distantarray
07-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Eat more vegetables!!! Vegetables have fiber, which makes you feel fuller, and they're full of vitamins. You don't have to have tons of money or time in your budget to eat veggies every day - your local grocery store should have bags of frozen pre-cooked veggies in the freezer section. They're quick to prepare and very cheap.

remember that not all veggies are created equal, as far as iceburg lettuce goes might as well just eat nothing at all with almost no nutritional content. Go for darker greens or red leaf lettuce or spinich instead :bigtu:

Lycorisa
07-24-2010, 10:41 PM
A healthy happy salad :).
I don't really eat healthy, but I have this friends who eats tomatoes everyday and her skin is flawless and her body is very healthy too^^.
When I want something sweet, I reach for a fruit or cereals with milk or milk tea. I'm not a very healthy eater xD.

Kasinator
07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
CHOCOLATE OATMEAL!?!?!

Yes! :D and its good breakfast

1 cup of oatmeal

soy or fat free skim milk,

1 scoop of chocolate flavored whey protein

mix microwave eat! :toothy:

Nekokichi
07-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Adding to this: Pollan doesn't mean food as in any kind of food, he's talking about food that is unprocessed and natural. This includes your no duh stuff like eat a baked potato instead of fries, and also includes little things like what sorts of fat you consume. (Some of it is good for you.)

page of wands
07-27-2010, 08:50 AM
A healthy happy salad :).
I don't really eat healthy, but I have this friends who eats tomatoes everyday and her skin is flawless and her body is very healthy too^^.
When I want something sweet, I reach for a fruit or cereals with milk or milk tea. I'm not a very healthy eater xD.

Sounds tasty! I just recently discovered the greatness of salads! Had one for dinner tonight and it was more satisfying than i thought it would be! Mixed baby spinach and lettuce, then added chopped pieces of canned peach, cheddar cheese, and some toasted pumpkin seeds i had sitting in my cupboard. The seeds were the best part! So many tasty recipes online, and the great thing about salads is that you can add lots of tasty things you like in the same bowl! Mmmm cheese....mmm peaches....

I love eating apples as a sweet snack too. I mix up the type so that I don't get too bored with any one kind, and keep them refrigerated to make them refreshingly cold in the summer! My only problem with cereal though is portion size... I know how to look for and choose a relatively healthy brand but then I always end up pouring myself a huge bowl!! :( It's hard to hold back in the morning when I wish I was sleeping and need something to make me feel happy haha..... oops! :o

DevTehFiend
07-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Something I do, because I don't have a lot of control over the KIND of food that enters the house (especially now that we have a sick friend of the family living with us whose diet consists of fried foods and coke and the occasional green bean) I usually trick myself into eating less. Instead of making myself servings using the regular sized dinner plates I make myself servings from the smaller dessert plates (and bowls.) I usually have to go back for more, but I usually only go back once and end up eating less food than I normally would. I end up needing a snack later on, but that's a good thing and I usually just end up getting some whole wheat toast or some fruit or something.

If we're having something healthy, though, like stir fry or salads, I'll use the dinner plates.

One of my favorite things to have for lunch is tuna salad, chicken, or turkey sandwiches (the tuna salad tricks me into eating celery, as I hate celery) and a small salad of spinach, tomato. cucumber, with feta and Italian (oil and vinegar based) dressing. ^^

MissMallyMAK
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a rule with myself when I'm frying things in a stovepan. Use the smallest one you have! The dimensions of a small pan (I probably have like a 7" diameter one) are good enough to control your portion. Therefore, say if your cooking something from a can, like beans or corn, only put in enough to fill the bottom layer of the pan. If the amount of food rises above the bottom layer of the it, it's too much. You'll only get the area of the pan and nothing more.

By the way, I made killer veggie quesadillas the other night. If you're interested, I used whole grain tortilla bread, a small layer of monterrey jack/cheddar cheese, corn, green peppers, onions, and a little bit of leftover chicken (very little) and gave myself a little bit of salsa for dipping. YUM YUM!

Elegant Balance
07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I eat seven snacks a day. Most of which has protein and nothing made of wheat or dairy, but I take pills to make up for that, because I've never been a fan of breads or dairy.
1st meal: Activia yogurt. It's yummy, quick and qives me time to get all my stuff together for the rest of the day.
2nd meal: Homemade jerky. Good gracious, I love my jerky! >.<'
3rd meal:Pure Protein bar, usually the smores ones, because I like them more than the Deluxe Chocolate bars they sell. XP ((Chocolate overload!!! XP)
4th meal: Egg whites and salsa. I know it sounds gross, but it's really REALLY good! I stick with fresh cut salsa, because it's healthier. =3
5th meal:Celery. I usually swing by a Zaxby's on the way home, so I pick up a bottle of water and celery. Sometimes their grilled house salad, no cheese, no onions, no bread, and wimpy buffalo the meat if I don't want what I eat for my next 2 meals.
6th:Another Pure Protein bar.
7th: Some brown rice with egg white, peas, carrot, and some other vegetables stirfried into it. I love putting tomato into it, too. =3

And that's my diet! =D So far, I've lost 65 pounds and it's only been since the beginning of summer. =3 I do work out for 2 hours each day in the evening and mornign(1 hour each morning and evening) which is a combo of weight lifting, push ups, crunches with my legs crossed in the air, and squats. I spend about 20 minutes on each part and push myself each day to do more than the last time. I eat every two hours and I drink pretty close to 11 bottles of water a day, which I bring 11 and just refill in the morning. And that's all! =D

Em1nAI
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
What I am offering here is 10 things you can do so that the day after Thanksgiving you don't get up look in the mirror and go... "Oh my god! What happened to my figure!! What is this...*poking your midsection* Do a some or be a champ and do all of these and you'll be juuuusst fine!

1. Don't get hungry: Have either a protein shake or some other protein source prior to the meal so that you aren't starving and tempted to over eat.
2. Drink water before and during the meal: This helps you get fuller quicker, plus slows down the eating process so you realize you are full.
3. Get a killer full-body or leg workout or just some sort of vigorous exercise in the morning: Jacks up your metabolism plus uses the extra food to help repair your body.
4. Treat the meals like a normal meal: Just eat the amount you would normally eat.
5. Don't get seconds: This goes with #2, get full and leave.
6. Eat your hi-fiber veggies first: Then do protein, finally starchy carbs
7. Put your silverware down in between bites: slows down the eating.
8. Fill up on protein, keep the breads/potatoes low.
9. More brown carbs, less white: Like whole grain, veggies.
10. Don't eat the skin.

~Em1nAI

emmisu
11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
My healthy eating stuff that happens when I resist cheeseburgers revolves around two things.
Cereal and Bento.

Special K with Almond Milk the *the* greatest tihng ever. I get the blueberry flavor of K so it's tasty too.
Almond milk is my substitute for milk because I'm a lactard and also because it's got a better taste, calorie count and shelf life than Soy Milk. It also doesn't have that sometimes-yucky soymilk aftertaste and I can drink tons of it at a time.

For lunch!
Bento. Bento is magic, get a box or two, they're the perfect portion control. I usually make dinner the night before in correspondence to what I want to eat the next day. So I'll make like sweet Tamagoyaki, rice, pasta, veggies, etc. the night before, pack it into my box all pretty-like and then eat the leftovers for dinner. That right there helps me eat less for two meals. When I cook for myself instead of eating out I get on a fitness trend.

justbento and justhungry are awesome for recipes and stuff.

:3

shilohgomz
12-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Every morning, I take one apple, salad of cumber, tomato and beet with my breakfast becasue they are very rich in the vitamins so I prefer to eat them in the morning becasue I heard or read at somewhere that eating salad in the morning is very good for the health.

InkRaven
12-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I personally avoid soda at ALL COSTS, because it has waaaay too much sugar and is basically empty carbs. I'll have soda if I'm having pizza (which is rare but they go so well together!). Otherwise I'm drinking a lot of green tea because it's the only kind I can drink without sweetener.
I'll be honest, I have a high metabolism so I'm pretty slim, but I know that I could be weighing a lot more if I ate a lot of processed foods. And while being a vegetarian isn't for everyone, cutting down on meat or at least looking to buy higher quality meats will make you feel tons better (I used to eat meat, and while I tend to eat a lot of fake meat, which is pretty processed, I have to say that I still feel a lot better than when I used to eat it).

~LOU~
12-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Back on the first page, Kasinator gave a recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal. Which is a totally awesome idea for a chocoholic like myself. Do you think that just making up the plain oatmeal, then adding some chocolate soy milk to it would be ok?
Ehh, I'm really temped to try it out. I'll give you my results if I make it tomorrow for breakfast!

I'll be stalking this thread for a while. I've completely neglected my good weight-loss habits; now I'm at my highest weight ever, so I need food ideas! : D

Rjr3412
12-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Lou - If you use a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder you can get the chocolate flavor without having to add a whole bunch of sugar to an otherwise healthy snack. That substitution right there could probably save about 100 calories, which if you're counting is a fair amount.

~LOU~
12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
That's funny! That's exactly what I tried! :' D
I tried the soy milk, but it didn't really give it any flavor like I had hoped.
It tasted just like plain oatmeal with a hint of some unknown flavor, not
identifiably chocolate.
The cocoa powder really helped a lot, and I really didn't need to put much in
for it to taste good.

~LOU~
12-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Also, I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you guys.
My mom and I had pulled this out of our "The South Beach Diet Super Charged: book. Which - we didn't actually follow the program, we just wanted the good recipes.

Vegetable Quiche Cups to Go
Prep time: 15 minutes * Cook time: 25 minutes

This crustless quiche recipe can be used as a base for any combination of vegetables and reduced-fat cheese. if you don't have a muffin pan, follow the variation below. Once prepared, the quiches can be frozen individually and reheated in the microwave.

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Jack cheese
3/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup finely diced onion
3 drops hot pepper sauce ( optional )

Heat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.

Place spinach in a microwavable container ad cook in the microwave on high power for 2 1/2 minutes. Drain excess liquid.

In a large bowl, combine spinach, cheese, egg substitute, bell pepper, onion, and pepper sauce, if using. Mix well. Divide mixture evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake at 350℉ for 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 12 ( 2 per serving )

Nutrition
Per serving: 77 calories, 3g fat, 2g saturated fat, 9g protein, 3g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 160 mg sodium.

I think that's pretty good nutritionally. You can decide for yourselves. I think it is mainly high in protein?

Now, you can add and subtract any of the vegetables in there that you want. When I made them, we only put the onion and spinach, because I don't like bell peppers. We also didn't put the hot sauce.

Anyways, they taste awesome. They're a good size, and very on-the-go. I thought that they were really filling as well. One serving is two of the quiches! When we made them, I'd put them in a ziplock and bring them with me for lunch at school.

Dream-chan
12-31-2010, 12:34 AM
So I really want to make my family something healthy for supper tomarrow. I looked through the kitchen and found we had some bonless chicken breast, brocllii(frozen), and whole grain brown rice.
I've never really cooked much before but does anyone now of some healthy recepis I can make out of these few ingrediants? :) thank you~

(sorry for spelling errors, I'm typing this on my phone haha)

BlackRose72311
01-04-2011, 01:39 AM
My mom would chop up some cucumber and add it to some paling yogurt with some pepper it's plain but taste great ^.^

Geegs
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Are super veggiefied green-smoothies good for losing weight and eating healthy? I read that making smoothies out of all sorts of veggies and some fruit are very good for you because they detoxify your body. has anyone had one of these? they sound kind of gross to me :P

Aearon
01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Like a previous member had posted about the chocolate oatmeal... The chocolate flavored whey protein does more than just simply add a bit of chocolate flavor to it. Protein is an essential source of amino acids (which regulate your metabolism and help to burn calories), helps build muscle, causes you to feel more full/satisfied after eating, and a few other things as well.
Also, adults should be taking in between 40-60 grams of protein each day. (Most people don't come close to this.)
One way to get the daily value of protein you need is through the whey protein powder / drinks. One scoop of the powder in those tubs/jars usually amounts to 20-30 grams of protein.
Other sources include Tempeh (soy products), dairy, legumes, chicken, and brown rice. Red meat offers some protein as well... But, generally ya wanna stay away from eating too much red meat while dieting.

HomeDepot
01-09-2011, 12:53 AM
The snack that I've been using to a lot to avoid eating ice cream is applesauce and vanilla yogurt. Around 3 parts applesauce to 1 part yogurt. Yum. This is especially good for me because I don't drink a lot of milk anymore.

I don't think protein powder is as necessary as many think it is. Some of you are doing a lot of weight training and I know that makes your needs different, but I just went to the freezer and looked at the nutrition facts for a chicken breast and there are 29g of protein for each breast. an egg has around 7g and a glass of milk has 8g. That's 44 grams of protein right there if you eat just those three things, which is enough for someone at my weight.

Rjr3412
01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
HomeDepot - Your snack concoction sounds interesting. One thing to point out though, is that while it's likely more nutritious than icecream, the calories are probably pretty close. Theres a lot of sugar in vanilla yogurt and applesauce. If you're going to add something to the yogurt, maybe try plain greek yogurt, its tasty and much better for you.

As far as the protein thing, you make a point, but for me as an example, I'd need about 7 chicken breasts or so each day. I find, with accompanying veggies and stuff that eating two in a meal is plenty. Moreso, all of those items have other carbs and fats, so it can be quite tricky to hit your protein requirements without going over the number of calories you need. Tricky but not impossible.

HomeDepot
01-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Rjr3412 This is a good point, from a calorie perspective the two dishes are similar. Personally I don't worry about calories as long as what I am eating is nutritious. The greek yogurt idea is a good one. (but knowing myself I would just dump a tablespoon of sugar onto it anyways)

The protein intake in grams that most people need is .8x their weight in Kg
a 125lb person needs ~45 grams
a 150lb person needs ~54 grams
a 175lb person needs ~64 grams
a 200lb person needs ~73 grams
7 chicken breasts would be 203 grams of protein
Active and sedentary people need about the same amount of protein. Because I see your workouts on the boot camp thread, you were actually one of the people I was referring to who would need a bit more protein, but your probably don't need twice as much. Excess protein is just broken down and stored as fat in our bodies. The recommended caloric intake from protein is 12% of our daily intake (for all people). If you eat 3000 calories a day only 360 of those calories should come from protein, so that would be 90 grams of protein.

.:Star_Burst:.
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
My sister has this great recipe for a raw chocolate shake. It sounds odd, but it's good.:) (I hope I didn't fail and miss a similar recipe posted earlier...)

You need:
Ice
Soy milk (or low fat milk)
Chocolate powder (raw is best)
Half an avocado
Almond/peanut butter
A banana
Hemp Protein *Optional

Crush the ice before dropping it in your blender. I use about a cup and a half, and I pour in the soy milk until it flows over the ice. Add two spoon fulls of almond butter and the avocado half, blend that for a bit and then toss in the full banana or just half of it. Two spoons of chocolate and hemp powder go in next (heaping spoonfulls here) and then you blend again for a while and voila! A nice, easy treat.

wolfie11590
01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm really trying hard recently to live a more healthier lifestyle, not only for cosplay but for health reasons too. A lot of food seems to cause me problems and makes me feel sick (nausea and what not) and effects my daily life. And being a college student that is just no good.

Here's a question I've had for quite awhile. I want to know the truth about eggs. Eggs are an essential food to my diet ( at least in my mind.) I eat eggs maybe 5-6 days out of the week. I really don't care for most meat. In fact I don't eat it unless I have to (so not to seem rude). So are using eggs as a meat substitute okay? I've tried researching this online and have heard both negative and positive things, but I'm worried it could be negatively affecting me in the long run.

Are certain egg preparations better healthier then others? At college I usually eat egg salad sandwiches for lunch, I'm worried this may be bad for me but I don't know what else to eat from off my meal plan. Speaking of my meal plan I also have trouble finding vegetables and food that's actually good for you. So any tips on some cheap groceries that I can add on top of my college meal plan would be really helpful.

I've also recently began drinking almond milk instead of regular milk...because I hate milk and it makes me sick. Does almond milk have the vitamin D I need or should I continue taking D12 supplements?

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread in hope to find some good tips and easy recipes I can use at college. ^_^

Thanks

{Edit}
Ack I forgot to mention I do eat fish and other seafood ( but thats not really available to me anyway), I just don't like other meats. I can stand Turkey (lunch meat).

Lilyela
01-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Want a simple, but delicious recipe for something I eat nearly every morning? Fruitsalad. Really you could use any fruits, but if possible, I use these:

-Apple
-Banana
-Pineapple (the canned sort)
-Strawberries (defrosted)
-Kiwi
-Honey & water

Wait, why the honey and water? Remember: just a little bit of water. Pour the honey and the water into something you can shake, and ... shake (duh). Then you pour it over the fruitsalad. Ta-da.

Qemba
01-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Also A good tip - Making your own meals actually contributes to burning calories! I made an omlette last night with mixed cheeses, brocolli and red pepper. A good thing to use in omlettes are the egg whits that come in a sort of milk carton container. Use half of the whites and make the other half full large eggs.
Also! I found this super amazing icecream in the store the other day. It's only 150 calories per serving (1/2 cup) and it's made with coconut milk instead of soy or dairy. It's really good and the best part is you don't go back craving for more because there aren't chemicals in the ingridients that make you want to binge. I believe it's called purely decadent ice cream. and you can find it in any health isle at your local store.
Another good thing to drink (though for some it may require a bit of getting used to) is almond milk. The flavor is really good, though I have a little bit of a problem with the thick texture haha.
And lastly, I was hoping I could get some tips from people who know some vegetables and fruits I can eat that are not listed here
*Apples
*bannanas
*anything citrus
*Pears
*Carrots
*Celery
*Spinach
*Any melons (Deadly allergic lol)
*Papya
*kiwi
*Strawberries
*mango
Reason being is I'm allergic to all of those ;A; it's a real burden but for some reason my body won't process the raw proteins in them. I can eat these cooked but not raw.

I CAN eat

*Pickles
*broccoli
*colliflower
*squash
*pumpkin
*Salad greens
*lettuce
*peppers
*mushrooms

If i missed anything you think would be a good choice please tell me!

haha long post is long!

Qemba
01-10-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm really trying hard recently to live a more healthier lifestyle, not only for cosplay but for health reasons too. A lot of food seems to cause me problems and makes me feel sick (nausea and what not) and effects my daily life. And being a college student that is just no good.

Here's a question I've had for quite awhile. I want to know the truth about eggs. Eggs are an essential food to my diet ( at least in my mind.) I eat eggs maybe 5-6 days out of the week. I really don't care for most meat. In fact I don't eat it unless I have to (so not to seem rude). So are using eggs as a meat substitute okay? I've tried researching this online and have heard both negative and positive things, but I'm worried it could be negatively affecting me in the long run.

Are certain egg preparations better healthier then others? At college I usually eat egg salad sandwiches for lunch, I'm worried this may be bad for me but I don't know what else to eat from off my meal plan. Speaking of my meal plan I also have trouble finding vegetables and food that's actually good for you. So any tips on some cheap groceries that I can add on top of my college meal plan would be really helpful.

I've also recently began drinking almond milk instead of regular milk...because I hate milk and it makes me sick. Does almond milk have the vitamin D I need or should I continue taking D12 supplements?

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread in hope to find some good tips and easy recipes I can use at college. ^_^

Thanks

{Edit}
Ack I forgot to mention I do eat fish and other seafood ( but thats not really available to me anyway), I just don't like other meats. I can stand Turkey (lunch meat).

Hey. For your egg question, yes it can be used as a protein substitute ALONG with fish and nuts. Nuts are a GREAT protein filled food. For fish, the best thing you can probably eat is a broiled salmon fillet. They're available at any food market.

First off, I would not recommend eating an egg salad sandwhich if you put mayonaise in it. Anything white thick creamy and rich is most likely VERY bad for you and contains alot of fat and calories.

Another good source of protein is greek yogurt and mozerella cheese sticks.

As for saying whether using eggs as a partial substitute for meat, I'd go with what you feel comfortable with. Everyone's body is different which is the most likely reason why people get both positive and negative results.

good luck to you!!

Kishaz
01-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks

{Edit}

http://teens.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=126 :B
The idea that eggs are a bad food for you is an awful misconception- I know that's not necessarily what you're asking, but I figured it'd be good to shed some light on the sheer awesome that is the egg.
Truly, it doesn't matter what source of protein you're going for, as long as you're covered for your intake. I do hear bad things about red meat, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it on the off-handed occasion... Again, not what you're asking. But I grasp Qemba's addition of fish and nuts, if not for preventing you from getting bored with your diet.
Now I'm sure you get this enough from anyone you talk about it to, but if you're getting nauseous from a lot of foods and you don't know why, it might be in your benefit to see a dietitian or a doctor about what exactly makes your insides wreak havoc on you from certain foods. Unless you already know why of course, of which case just pretend I never said anything. :B

On the complete off hand that applies to everyone, http://teens.sparkpeople.com/indexteen.asp is a FANTASTIC website to go off of for pretty much anything you all have talked about- from recipes to articles to what-exercises-are-best-for-you etc. If you get an account, which is free, you get all sorts of little helpers like meal planners or calorie counters or exercise planners and stuff like that. It's a pretty darn good website for people in general, especially with all the other scary what-the-hell-does-this-have-to-do-with-my-well-being websites floating around the interwebs.

In short: I'll just leave this here. :B
Ps, I'm loving all of these recipes! Definitely had to try out the yogurt and apple sauce thing- can't say I regret it. :) Keep 'em coming!

RuJa 4EVA
02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I just tried this recipe:

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/vegetable_egg_rice

It's the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. Or, at least, one of them.

It makes about 4-5 servings (300 calories a serving).

One small amount left me stuffed. I'm storing the rest for lunches this week. I suggest others do the same if they make this, it's so good.

EriBear18
02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
I have to say this thred makes eating healthy so much eassyer! I am going to try that fried rice recipe soon!

Maxxie
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I eat a lot of tofu, I've been a vegetarian for 5 years now and it's one of my main sources of protein, but I feel like a lot of people dismiss it without giving it a fair chance! What's great about it is it takes the flavor of whatever it's with, which is why I don't get people complaining about taste xD; I personally love it sauteed with onion, garlic, and broccoli with some soy sauce (and perhaps other veggies depending on what my campus dining hall has that day :3). I also love to grill it, but I can't do that at school :\ But I marinate it in barbeque sauce (although I don't do it often enough to worry about how healthy the sauce it, but I'm sure you can find one that's not bad xD) It's good to let it sit for a while and really soak in the sauce, then put it on some skewers and put it in the grill. Only thing to be careful of is if it falls off the skewers, I've had that happen since it's so soft xD

Tofu aside, I usually have scrambled eggs or an omelette and yogurt with granola for breakfast. I also eat a lot of salads, wraps with veggies and cheese (always fresh mozzarella for me P: ), lentil soup for lunch and dinner (along with Tofu) and when I'm home I pretty much live off of Boca burgers xD Being limited to what the dining hall serves gets to be really frustrating for me, especially as a vegetarian. My school does have a vegan/vegetarian station, but all the food there is made for you then and there, which is nice, but also means waiting in sometimes long lines to get food, which some meals I don't have time for. And I love fruit, but the stuff my school has usually isn't the best looking ^^; Or they don't have what I want that day xD

HomeDepot
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Steamed dumplings: Makes 40 dumplings
40 frozen round dumpling wrappers (you can find these at asian groceries)

Filling
1/2 lb (.23kg) ground pork. You can get this leaner or fattier depending on your mood
~1/5 of a head of cabbage. pull off the first few layers of leaves and set these aside. Chop the cabbage very fine. You want equal parts meat and cabbage.
5 green onions chopped very fine
1 clove of garlic, minced
a dash of ginger
a dash of chili powder, or to taste
1 tablespoon (15ml) Soy sauce
1 tsp (5ml) sesame oil
1 egg (optional)

Mix all of the filling together in a bowl. The egg will help it stick together better

Pretend that each circular dumpling wrapper is numbered like a clock. 12 is at the side far from you and 6 is the side close to you.

Pick up a wrapper and spread a small amount of water on the half close to you.
Place a small spoonful of filling in the center of the wrapper
Remember our clock image? Make a small pleat between 3 and 4 and then press the corner together, then make a pleat between 2 and 3 and press the edges together, make a third pleat between 1 and 2 and press the edges together. The dumpling should be almost halfway closed.
Repeat the same process from the other side by making pleats between 8 and 9, 9 and 10, and 10 and 11, pressing the edges closed as you go.

Fill and fold all of the dumplings like this. You can experiment with how much filling you can put in each without it spilling out. They should look more or less like this when done. Fewer pleats are easier and more pleats are harder, but look prettier

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/homedepot1/jiaozi.jpg

If you have an actual steamer you can use that. Otherwise boil an inch to a half inch of water in the bottom of a wide pot. Find a metal rack or strainer and set that in the pot. Put a layer of cabbage leaves in your steamer or along the rack in the pot. Set a as many dumplings on the leaves as you can without having them touch. Cover most of the way with a lid and steam for 20 mins.

I like to dip these in soy sauce with chili flakes, brown vinegar is also popular

These freeze well. simply steam them for an extra five minutes

LadyNightfall
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
^ Those look sooo yummy! I'll have to try those some time!

choudai
03-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I eat a lot of tofu, I've been a vegetarian for 5 years now and it's one of my main sources of protein, but I feel like a lot of people dismiss it without giving it a fair chance! What's great about it is it takes the flavor of whatever it's with, which is why I don't get people complaining about taste xD;

I've been veggie for 10 years now (I was a very strong-willed 13 year old!) but I totally agree with what you're saying about tofu. Alot of people find it bland and don't like the texture. Both can be remedied of course! I tend to marinate mine in teriyaki sauce which is an awful lot healthier if you make you're own (although sometimes incredibly difficult!) I never add salt or sugar to my meals and actually eat ridiculously healthily as I have always been against eating pre-made meals! Every restaurant/supermarket deems a vegetarian option as adding "cheese to everything" and if that's too boring it becomes "Three cheese" :eek: So I hardly ever eat out or buy prepackaged foods which is actually hilarious if you know me as I burn toast....

I should probably also mention that I am also lactose intolerant..... I will become vegan one of these days I swear but sometimes when you're feeling crappy and need a good boost I'm a sucker for a veggie filled omelet! Even if the entire next day is possibly spent beside the toilet with my ds it's WORTH IT!

Usual diet:
Breakfast - Tea with soy (Okay so i might have exagerrated a little on the extremely healthy part!)

Lunch - Hommous with celery/carrot sticks or Seeded ryvita / wholegrain crackers

Dinner - Stirfry with veg and tofu/Brown spagetti with veggies/Fajitas with salad, quorn bits and salsa etc...
(Usually noodles or whatever pasta i have with all the veg i can find bunged in haha!

Snacks - rice cakes, fruit.

All sounds very healthy although I smoke and drink FAR FAR too much so I'm hoping onto another thread I saw earlier in a bit to quit smoking, cut down my drinking and start getting more protein and possibly breakfast in me.
I'm not actually underweight, I'm probably in the average range now but as soon as I stop drinking for a few days my weight plummets so first things first!
Smoking patches and some breakfast materials.
I shall be substituting my alcohol for smoothies and green tea!
Wish me luck! haha :crylaugh:

Maxxie
03-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Oh cool, it's nice to hear of other vegetarians xD It seems everyone I know has stopped for various reasons (some legitimate some not really ^^; ) I could never be vegan xD; I rely on eggs too much for protein, and I just love dairy products (I know what you mean, nothing beats a good omelette with lots of veggies, I just had one for dinner 8'D)

Good luck quitting smoking! I feel lucky it's a habit I've never picked up, I have asthma so I have coughing fits around it and the smell actually makes me sick to my stomach >___>;

Lilyela
03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
I might have invented the nicest snack ever. I call it "Desu". Why? I don't know. Because my friend says that all the time to annoy me, and because I can xD

You need:
• 1 banana
• Some dessicated, shredded coconut

Make the banana into some sort of puree (spelling?) and add as much coconut as you like. Easy? Yes, indeed.

saberslash
03-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I might have invented the nicest snack ever. I call it "Desu". Why? I don't know. Because my friend says that all the time to annoy me, and because I can xD

You need:
1 banana
Some dessicated, shredded coconut

Make the banana into some sort of puree (spelling?) and add as much coconut as you like. Easy? Yes, indeed.

I've seen a similar treat done with aged bananas (brown on the skin, still mainly cream colored inside) that involved partially freezing them first. The bananas are then blended with some vanilla extract and becomes very much like ice cream in texture and flavor.

Midnight Raine
03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I only learned how to cook things last week, but here's something chili I made recently that's pretty high protein and not bad at all.

1 lb extra lean (96/4) ground beef.
140 g chopped onions (frozen is convenient, as they'll thaw in the pan)
1 ~14 oz can diced tomato
1 ~14 oz can tomato sauce
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
1/6 cup chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Optional:

1 tsp salt
1 tbsp corn starch (makes it slightly thicker)
2 chopped jalapeno peppers (even spicier)
Can of pinto or kidney beans (for, like... beans)
Chopped chicken instead of ground beef (slightly lower caloric content)

So, brown the ground beef in a pot. Then, add the onions, diced tomato, tomato sauce, and stir it together. Then, add all of the rest of the stuff (spices, sauces, et cetera). Stir until it's fully mixed, then cover it and let it simmer for two hours.

This stuff will be very spicy. Heh, it may not be for the ladies.

For those so concerned, the total nutritional content for the entire pot (without any of the optional stuff) is 994 calories and 110 grams of protein. And this will make a lot of chili (I'd guess about two liters), so you'll be hard pressed to eat all of it at once.

BraveKnight
03-22-2011, 01:10 PM
One of the best things you can to eat healthy is to plan ahead of time and make things readily available. Some examples:

- Buy a variety of fruit and keep it visible, either up front in the fridge or a bowl you can easily see.
- Steam a bulk portion of veggies, put it in plastic container so you can snack out of it anytime. I like broccoli and carrots for this.
- Ditto for something with chicken breasts, just have a few pieces cooked for the week so you can add it to a salad quickly.
- Dairy products are already packaged for convenience so you're good with a glass of milk or carton of Greek yogurt.

This is why we often fall into snacking or going for fast food, because we want something then and there, and don't want to spend energy making it.

mmmm Greek Yogurt....

Great suggestions guys! Thanks for the advice

saberslash
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
In the vein of the chili recipe above, I present a Curry recipe I use.

Makes two servings

1 can (400ml) Lite Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup water (reserved)
20oz 99% fat free ground turkey
1 cup Chopped raw bell pepper
1 cup frozen green peas
1 tbsp cumin seed
2 tbsp Red Curry Powder
1 tbsp ground Coriander
2 cup Cooked short-grain white rice

Toast the cumin seeds in a pan with cooking spray (canola oil also fine).
Add the chopped bell pepper and book till tender.
Add the turkey and cook until done. Make sure to break up the turkey as it cooks.
While the turkey is cooking, warm the coconut milk in a sauce pan.
Dissolve the coriander and curry powder in the water (make a slurry).
Add the slurry to the coconut milk and stir thoroughly.
Once the Turkey is done, add it to the coconut milk in small batches, integrating it as you go.
Once integrated add the still frozen peas into the curry.
Reduce the heat and simmer the curry until the entire dish is warm. If its o thick, add the extra reserved water and continue to simmer.

Serve half the curry with 1 cup cooked white rice.

Nutritional Information (per serving)
711 Calories
14g Fat
67g Protein

HomeDepot
03-22-2011, 01:49 PM
This stuff will be very spicy. Heh, it may not be for the ladies.

Since when is there a stereotype that women don't like spicy food? Oh well. I'll see your chili recipe sir and raise my recipe for hot and spicy asparagus.

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 tbl chili pepper flakes, or to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup sherry
2 tbl spicy bean paste
1 pound fresh asparagus, washed and cut to bite sized pieces
1 tbl sesame seeds

Heat the oils in a pan and add the ginger, chili, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes and stir frequently to keep the garlic from burning . Turn the heat off and add the soy sauce, sherry, and bean paste. Careful when adding the liquids to the hot oil, it will spit. Heat the mixture until bubbly and add the asparagus. Cook until it is just tender (2-5) minutes. Toss in the sesame seeds and serve with rice. White is tastier, but brown rice is of course better for you.

P.s. that curry recipe looks amazing. I'll try anything with coconut milk in it.

saberslash
03-22-2011, 02:02 PM
P.s. that curry recipe looks amazing. I'll try anything with coconut milk in it.

Its a good one. I based it off of one that uses ground beef instead of turkey. Used the turkey as its far better and takes the flavor well.

side note, its its not spicy enough (I make mine with double the spices) add more curry powder. For me, its not spicy & hot enough until it removes rust off a bumper like my Dad's chili (true story).

Lilyela
03-24-2011, 02:04 AM
I've seen a similar treat done with aged bananas (brown on the skin, still mainly cream colored inside) that involved partially freezing them first. The bananas are then blended with some vanilla extract and becomes very much like ice cream in texture and flavor.

That sounds yummy c: I just made that when I was peckish and fancied coconut. Since I couldn't crush an apple, it was a banana.

The.King
03-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I love this thread. So hard.

Sportster
03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
page of wands: I saw that you were having trouble with controlling your portion of cereal so you might like what I do. Rather than bowls my family always buys paper cups and so I fill the cup a little over halfway--and it's enough to make me feel satisfied after.

These tips are great and really interesting. I especially want to try pink lady apples now. So here are some things that have worked for me.

1. Water. They say it's ideal to drink a lot of water, but I've always have a hard time with that because the taste of water is just so boring. So I followed my mom's suggestion and started adding a squirt of lemon juice. It adds flavor, has no extra calories, and I drink a lot more a day now. Warning: I didn't like it when I first tried it because it was really sour, but I adapted a taste for it. It's really like drinking pure lemon. <3

Chocolate lovers: I don't like chocolate, but I guess being a woman I get these weird cravings...two great low calorie, delicious choices to try are Special K and chocolate pudding. The Special K have a cereal with chocolate in it! I was amazed. As for chocolate pudding I like Jell-O Pudding Temptations (chocolate, dark chocolate, caramel) mint chocolate. Best part? These puddings taste like cake.

Jello: The sugar free Jell-O makes a great snack in between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. My favorite flavor is strawberry. There are 10-15 calories for one so it hardly makes a dent. :)

! A Very Important Note: You've heard about portion control and here's an easy way to do it. On the back of products we usually check for calories, fats, vitamins, etc, but I've found that one of the most important things is serving size. I was shocked to find out one tiny can of greenbeans was two servings even though it was only enough for one person. The back of it said 25 calories, but really I was eating 50. Though this is a small scale example...something like a turnkey and gravy dinner that says 350 calories on the back, had 3 servings size so really I was eating 950 calories that I didn't know about. Scary! By measuring out my one serving its greatly helped with weightloss.

Sweet tooth: I've discovered a hidden treasure with Splitz yogurt. It comes in yummy flavors like strawberry sunday and strawberry banana and has low calories.

Like gum: Ice breakers are awesome! They come in different flavors and if have 0 calories. They don't have a lasting flavor...but chew a peice and you'll think twice about stopping at that Mcdonalds.

Vitamins: My body movement teacher introduced this to me. All I knew about vitamins for adults was the horse pill sized ones my Mom suggested I shove down my throat every day. Which ultimately failed. Then my teacher told me that adults could also have children vitamins and I bought gummy ones. I take two a day, chew throughly like it says, and it's really yummy. :3

Good tip: Try something new whenever you can. I'm not saying try a new italian dish or something exotic like magazines suggest because that's just crazy and I hate traveling. But I do like trying new healthy meals that I haven't before or different types of fruits and vegetables. You find out what you like and what you dont like and it helps you from being bored.

Last: I was reading in a magazine that color can have an effect on your appetite. That a red plate stimulates the appedite and blue one calms it down. I think it'd be something interesting to try.

Sportster
03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Also A good tip - Making your own meals actually contributes to burning calories! I made an omlette last night with mixed cheeses, brocolli and red pepper. A good thing to use in omlettes are the egg whits that come in a sort of milk carton container. Use half of the whites and make the other half full large eggs.
Also! I found this super amazing icecream in the store the other day. It's only 150 calories per serving (1/2 cup) and it's made with coconut milk instead of soy or dairy. It's really good and the best part is you don't go back craving for more because there aren't chemicals in the ingridients that make you want to binge. I believe it's called purely decadent ice cream. and you can find it in any health isle at your local store.
Another good thing to drink (though for some it may require a bit of getting used to) is almond milk. The flavor is really good, though I have a little bit of a problem with the thick texture haha.
And lastly, I was hoping I could get some tips from people who know some vegetables and fruits I can eat that are not listed here
*Apples
*bannanas
*anything citrus
*Pears
*Carrots
*Celery
*Spinach
*Any melons (Deadly allergic lol)
*Papya
*kiwi
*Strawberries
*mango
Reason being is I'm allergic to all of those ;A; it's a real burden but for some reason my body won't process the raw proteins in them. I can eat these cooked but not raw.

I CAN eat

*Pickles
*broccoli
*colliflower
*squash
*pumpkin
*Salad greens
*lettuce
*peppers
*mushrooms

If i missed anything you think would be a good choice please tell me!

haha long post is long!

That sucks that you're allergic too so many fruits and veggies. ): I don't know about vegetables, but you can have cherries and grapes. Cherries go in and out of season, but they're sweet and delicious. And there are several types of grapes.

Speaking of my meal plan I also have trouble finding vegetables and food that's actually good for you. So any tips on some cheap groceries that I can add on top of my college meal plan would be really helpful.

I hear you, shopping for healthy items can get really expensive. @_@ From my experience
The pricey fruit (over 3 dollars): strawberries, watermelon, bananas, cherries, grapes, frozen fruit
The cheapest fruit: apples, peaches, pears, plums, canned fruit like oranges, pinapples, melon (I think they were in the .89 range)
Cheapest vegetables: celery, carrots (you can get different size and shapes carrots too for your price range), also canned vegetables are so wonderfully cheap. Like .89 a can.
Pricey( over 3 dollars): salads
Long lasting fruit and vegetables (so you get your money's worth!): apples, peaches and nectarines, pears, canned, carrots, plums, frozen
Medium lastin: celery, cherries, grapes,
Eat it in a week or it'll go bad: strawberries, salad, bananas, watermelon
At least the cheap stuff lasts longer.

SuperBee
03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have some snack ideas for the gluten free people? I have celic and sometimes finding healthy snacks (especially at cons) are extremely difficult.

Ichigo Oblivion
03-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Does anyone have some snack ideas for the gluten free people? I have celic and sometimes finding healthy snacks (especially at cons) are extremely difficult.

Fruits and Vegetables are always gluten free, as well as things such as cheese slices. If you go to your local, grocery they might have a gluten free section with many yummy things. However, if that isn't the case, see if it has an organic section. If you look on the packaging, many of the snack bars will be gluten free (which are great for on the go). Many brands of popcorn are also gluten free, which without lots of butter is very healthy. There's also yogurt, juice, tortilla chips, and potato fries. Also, if you look online, there is every thing from gluten-free bread, to gluten-free cake. If you want, I can PM you the best links.

SuperBee
03-26-2011, 09:55 AM
If you want, I can PM you the best links.

Oh that would be great! Thanks so much!

jjcpammc09
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm so happy that I found this thread, I want to lose weight really bad. I am sick of the way I look, I'm 380 lbs. and I would like to get down to 200-195, I think that I can do this.

ForeverrCaitlin
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Myself for example. Normally each morning, I eat a banana-oatmeal concoction that is just delicious. I mash banana and loose oats together, then pour 1/3 cup of 1% milk and continue stirring. I then microwave the mix together for 1 minute and let it stand. While it microwaves, I slice up an apple (Pink Lady is my favorite variety! It's so juicy and sweet :) ) and when its done cooling, I chop up some apple into tiny pieces and add it to my oatmeal. Then I add a few pinches of cinnamon to it, and I'm done! Its delicious! My mom always adds sugar and butter to hers for the taste, but you really don't need to! The natural sweetness of the apples and cinammon is more than enough flavor, trust me.

omg i have that same "recipe" :D but instead of mashing the banana i just slice it up lol, i also like to add nutmeg and ginger :3 and it IS delicioussss~ sometimes ill add a lil raw honey but i usually don't

Midnight Raine
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I just discovered this by chance yesterday. It's terrific and I can't wait to have it again.

Take some broccoli, cooked/steamed/microwaved or whatever. Fill up a bowl. After that, get some salsa con queso - this (http://www.bhg.com/bhg/images/contests/BHG_PTR_AnnualChallenge/SalsaConQueso_a72B.jpg) - and put a bunch onto it. Put it in the microwave for about a minute until the cheese get really hot. Then stir it until the broccoli is entirely mixed with the cheese.

That was great. Now if only I could find salsa con queso with a bit more kick; not quite hot enough as it is.

panda0920
05-11-2011, 05:41 AM
The snack that I've been using to a lot to avoid eating ice cream is applesauce and vanilla yogurt. Around 3 parts applesauce to 1 part yogurt. Yum. This is especially good for me because I don't drink a lot of milk anymore.

I don't think protein powder is as necessary as many think it is. Some of you are doing a lot of weight training and I know that makes your needs different, but I just went to the freezer and looked at the nutrition facts for a chicken breast and there are 29g of protein for each breast. an egg has around 7g and a glass of milk has 8g. That's 44 grams of protein right there if you eat just those three things, which is enough for someone at my weight.

To add to the protein part, there is also in most whole grain wheat breads 4g of protein per slice and 2g of fiber.

A word of advice, I'm not a professional, but I've been working with my healthy (such as a better health style as a vague example) for over three years now. When it starts getting hot as summer starts, be very careful with outdoor exercises, including in the morning or evening when it's cooler. Your blood sugar has a tendency to be influenced by the sudden changes of air condition to natural muggy-ness of the outdoors. Even worse for people with chemical imbalances such as thyroid. I dropped like a rock yesterday after walking for fifteen minutes. Very unpleasant.

Drachegirl14
07-04-2011, 04:14 PM
See, I might not eat the healthiest stuff, but I do eat it all in moderation, with attention to serving sizes.

I usually have a cereal in the morning that has at least 2 gs of fiber, usually more, and is on a 2 g fiber-1 g sugar ratio.

For a midmorning snack (if I'm up early) I eat a banana; it's a great fruit that helps fill you up and gives you lots of energy, or if we don't have fresh bananas, I drink a yogurt smoothie.

Usually, however, I don't eat in the morning, because I'm usually full. So when lunch comes around, I have a variety of things, from sammiches (usually ham) or leftovers from the night before (tacos, baked/grilled chicken, tomato braised pork chops, tuna noodle casserole, etc).

Then, I have a snack around three-ish, usually some kind of fruit or crackers and cheese. I like celery and peanut butter too. :)

Dinner time usually consists of rice (whole grain white) and, if dinner isn't formally prepared, some kind of veggie (green beans or peas being my preference) and some kind of meat with the rice to round things out. :)

My mom makes this garden vegetable soup too, that's really good, but not okay in the summer lol. :)

TheBestDreamer
07-12-2011, 07:51 PM
This has been a good start for me. In the mornings I usually just eat some toast and yogurt then afterwards I do 5-10 minuets of morning stretches such as toe-touches and curl-ups.

purpletint666
08-25-2011, 02:02 AM
I've only just recently started eating healthy because I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and I stayed around the same normal weight (I did exercise often, but it was always just a casual walk home from school, gym class, etc) That isn't exactly the case anymore so I've decided to lose about 35-40 pounds. I've recently started up biking 10 miles a day and eating healthier snacky-type meals a day. For breakfast I started eating Fiber one granola bars cause they're sooo yummy along with either a banana or yogurt or half a Naked smoothie drink (btw I'm wondering if these drinks really are healthy for me because I know they have a TON of fruits and vitamins, but I know that they also have a good amount of natural sugar in them.) I'll snack on a Starbucks smoothie if I have work cause I work at Starbucks so I know they have a lot of protein in them and frozen bananas and I can use skim milk and make it as healthy as I want. or if I'm home I'll snack on nature valley granola bars and bananas and strawberries and watermelon pieces. For lunch I'll have a sandwich with a few slices of ham or turkey with lettuce and one slice of cheese or rice and beans or a tuna sandwich. For dinner I'm pretty much stuck... my days begin a little late because I usually work to late around 9-11:30pm so my breakfasts and lunches are usually a lot later in the day and even though I stay up pretty late at night I really am not comfortable with eating past 9pm and if I eat lunch at 7-8pm I'll usually go without dinner. I need to adjust my eating schedule at work, but I'd like to hear any tips for dinner suggestions as I haven't been eating many dinners lately... I'm not a big fan of the common veggies (broccoli, raw carrots, string beans, cauliflower, etc) but I do like salads and corn and I looove canned peas (hate them frozen! but I don't know if canned peas are even that healthy) oh and I HATE peppers and onions! Any help, tips or suggestions are greatly obliged! <3

Alecsej
08-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Three healthy recipes for the three main meals :D

Breakfast

Take a cup, put a spoon of jam into it pour over it some warm water ( do not fill it completely add two and a half teaspoons of psyllium and finally add some muesli with dried fruit, incredibly nice and lots of fibers.

( Remember to drink at least 2 litres of water during the day if you want the psyllium to work :D )

Lunch

Take a bowl put in some iceberg lettuce, put an egg in a pot of ( almost ) boiling water for a minute take it out smash it and mix it with some worcestershire or tamari sauce, cook some ( 100 - 150 gr ) chicken strips ( I use the vegetarian ones because I'm vegeterian ) put them in the bowl with the lettuce, cook some ( a slice of bread ) little squares of bread in the same pan where the chicken strips where then put them in the bowl with the iceberg lettuce and the chicken pour over it the sauce and mix if you want you can sprinkle some parmesan on top. ^^

Dinner

Heat the ( EVO ) oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions until brown and soft, add one clove of garlic, one teaspoon of turmeric, one teaspoon of curry past and stir, add the lentils ( 150 gr ) cover them with some ( preferably vegetable ) stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 mins or until lentils are cooked and swollen, add more stock if necessary. Pile into bowls and serve it with plenty of naan bread. You are surealy going to have some leftovers. :D

Moramoth
08-30-2011, 03:43 AM
I made an awesome sandwich the other day that I'm going to do again for dinner. I pan seared a breast for 4 mins on each side, then baked it for 20. I covered it in Parmesan cheese, but I don't think its necessary. Put it on wheat with pesto sauce added tomatoes lettuce, would've liked either turkey bacon or avocado.

sucrose2071
08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
I am a sucker for cabbage!
My mom marinated cabbage leaves and onions in tandoori spices and grilled them outside and I have been eating them all week for dinner! It's super delicious and filling, the onions are sweet and the cabbage is tender and salty~
Also, I have a terrible snacking habit, so I made this drink that is lemon juice mixed with water and bit of honey (like lemonade!) and I sip on that while I'm at work so that I'm not tempted to go buy a snack out of a machine. It holds me out until lunch time or until I go home and can get some food. The acid from the lemon helps shrink your stomach.
I also have an uncurable sweet tooth, so for desert or as a snack, I slice up an apple (pink ladies or gala apples yum!) and dip them in a tablespoon of nutella.

Holierthanthou
08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
What I do is eat pretty much one continuous meal throughout the day. I'll buy a bunch of healthy foods and make a bunch of healthy snack items at the begining of each week and just snack on one of them if I feel hungry. My body also screams at me if I eat more junk food than a little snack once a week, so that helps.