PDA

View Full Version : Dieting 101

distantarray
07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Few things most people never even bother to look at so thought I'd try to help.

THE BAD

------------------------------------------
NO TRANS FAT!!! are labeled quite a lot on many things and people think that it's a good thing. Honestly it's not. It's something that should have never been a factor in the first place.

"Trans fats are invented as scientists began to "hydrogenate" liquid oils so that they can withstand better in food production process and provide a better shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids are formed. Trans fatty acids are found in many commercially packaged foods"

This is why health nuts will always tell you to stay clear of pre-packaged foods. Even if things say NO TRANS FAT!!! that doesn't mean that the food is actually good for you either. There's still different kinds of fats.

Saturated Fats

Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs and seafood. Some plant foods are also high in saturated fats such as coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil.

THE GOOD

Monounsaturated Fats

Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Nuts including peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios, avocado, canola and olive oil are high in MUFAs. MUFAs have also been found to help in weight loss, particularly body fat. Click here for more weight loss nutrition tips.
Polyunsaturated Fats

Polyunsaturated fats also lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Seafood like salmon and fish oil, as well as corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oils are high in polyunsaturated fats. Omega 3 fatty acids belong to this group.

distantarray
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
How much do you need? Medical journals will often say 0.8grams of protein per 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) is recommended, yet Bodybuilding and fitness sites will often say 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound.

for 150 pound person medical stand point 68grams of protein will suffice, but then I believe this is more for a inactive lifestyle the bare minimum.

Although for health nuts they tent to say 150-225 grams of protein per day is good. I think it's all based on a very active lifestyle.

Also remember that you can also over do protein. Since 1 gram of protein also contains 4 calories, getting upto 225 grams of protein per day with a clean source is quite a challenge.

225 grams of protein = 900 calories. So remember don't OVER DO your protein intake either. Especially if your doing things like mixing powder with milk. SKIM milk contains 90 calories per glass, and with Tall glasses this easily doubles the normal portion which isn't a bad thing. but If your tryin to lose weight 90x2 = 180 calories + 130 calories from a protein shake = 310 calories PER shake.

Before you stop mixing milk with your protein powder so you can count your calories also remembers a glass of milk contains about 9 grams of protein. So if your mixing a protein powder with it, like Optimum Nutrition's 100% gold standard you can easily cut the scoop almost in half.

Why do I say this? It's because a normal person can only process so much protein at a time. Digestion and rate of absorption into the body differs quite a bit.

Peanut Protein
Raw Egg Protein
Cooked Egg Protein
Pea Protein
Milk Protein
Soy Protein Isolate
Casein Isolate
Whey Isolate
Tenderloin Pork Steak

Some people will also say excess protein will be disposed of in a number 2 fashion, and some people argue it'll be turned into fats but I think they are both right, depending on the circumstances.

Like 10 grams of whey protein can be digested and absorbed in about an hour, and 40 grams of whey protein can take upto 4 hours to digest. Also if you mix it with Casein protein which is a milk protein that curdles in your stomach into more of a solid is great cause it's slow digesting protein. Highly recommended for night time sleep. I believe that mixing Whey Protein with milk should also slow down the absorption rate due to the idea when the milk curdles it'll trap some of the whey protein into the solid as well.

(interesting fact, both casein and whey protein is derived from milk, naturally milk contains about 20% whey, and 80% casein, and the two are separated from processing when they make cheese and yogurts the watery part on top of yogurts are whey protein)

There are a HUGE number of factors just on protein alone, so should you be eating every 2-3 hours? It's probably a good idea, but personally unless your looking to compete in bodybuilding I think many people tend to take too much. For instance when you go to the gym, many people are huge, but they have quite a high body fat%. Sure they could be in a bulking phase, or don't really care about their diet that much.

Personally I like to try to gain muscle and strength without the real need of cutting or bulking phases. Cutting phase is when you diet to lose all the unwanted fat on your body, and bulking is when you try to gain fat cause it honestly is much easier to gain muscle with a higher amount of bodyfat. Ensuring your getting all the nutrients your body needs by making the margin of error much easier to avoid.

With exception of Ectomorphs (naturally scrawny frame body) it's very tricky especially to try to gain muscle and keep a low body fat all year round. My goal is to stay under 10% the whole time. This is a really hard thing to do, cause the math and planning involved is so hard. If your trying to do this, unless you want a super boring diet, you will also have to become a part-time chef as well.

*I was using Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard as an example which is a popular choice. contains 130 Calories / 24grams of protein per serving

*bulking and cutting phases is dieting phases, where bulking is when someone tries to gain excess body fat on the sole purpose of making it easier for your body to create muscle, and cutting phase is when someone tries to lower the body fat %

*A normal person can generally processes about 20-40 grams of protein per hour. A good number to hit on a meal every 2 hours is 24, also remember that is about 1 chicken breast, or 4 ounce steak, or a protein shake with water.

distantarray
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
When your not digesting anything your body goes into a catabolic phase, which basically muscle degeneration when your body starts literally canabalizing on it's own body for fuel, and once your body hits a lower body fat %, your body's preferred choice becomes breaking down muscles.

Eating small meals frequently encourages anabolic phase which is great to stimulate muscle growth. Why you shouldn't over eat to point of being full is because when your full, your body routes excess blood from the rest of your body to your stomach to help speed up digestion, but it also slows down body functions everywhere else.

A good example is like a restaurant prepping for a busy night, once some shipments come in, the boss will probably ask everyone to help unload, and after it's done he'll let you go back to whatever you were doing.

One thing that many people don't realize is that if you eat say a pizza at 2,000 calories for the entire pizza. If you eat the whole pizza in 30 minutes will actually do your body less harm than eating the whole pizza over a entire day.

A good example of this is people that are so obese they can't even move out of bed, I've seen documentaries about people who eat 20,000 + calories a day, since 3,500 calories = 1 pound of fat techically they should've been gaining 5.7 pounds a day. But there is a limit on how much you can digest and absorb.

This is because the body has a limit to how much it can process at a time. If you overload your body all at once, much of it will actually go down the toilet literally.

Your body can store excess calories, but it can not store excess protein, so make sure you get some sort of protein every 2-3 hours.

The key of dieting is to keep constantly fed but never to the point of being either hungry or full. When your body is feeling hungry NEVER EVER AVOID A MEAL. This sounds strange since there are many things on the market that sells well like appitite surpressants.

but only reason why those really work is that if you don't fuel your body correctly, your body resorts to taking the fuel from your own body. This might not sound bad, because people think they'll lose weight, which is true and they will.

But this doesn't mean it's a good idea or healthy at all. Mainly because your goal should be to lose BODY FAT, and not WEIGHT. In my opinion, anyone who relies solely on a scale as their measurement of progress, should also hold this sign as they weigh themselves.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/Im_Stupid/Im_stupid.jpg

This is because there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many factors to rely on a scale alone. A good example is say you weighed 120 in highschool, and after school your metabolism took a dive in your 30's and you started eating bad. Now your upto 150. So you want to lose that 30 extra pounds through good diet and exercise. Now also remember that muscle weighs more than fat, and when you workout you WILL create more muscle. So now that goal of 120 is a goal that you might never reach.

Many people get so fixed into hitting that goal towards the last 5-10 pounds when they get "stuck" at a good weight they keep pushing with a harder dieting plan, or upping their workouts or even both. In efforts to reach their "goal" This kind of goals are set by people who don't know any better. Everyone at one time or another have always made this kind of mistake.

Better methods of measuring progress :bigtu:
1. Pair of jeans, the looser it gets, it will show amazing amount of progress
2. before and after pictures, especially if you can take 1 every day in the same position.
3. body fat calculators (omron about $30 at target and walmart tend to be the most accurate)

Also remember with body fat analyzers that there are also MANY variables, remember to only take your reading at the most consistant time. After you wake up, after you use the restroom, taken a shower, dried off completely naked to first weigh yourself, then use the body fat analyzer to measure your body fat % . You'd be surprised fully clothed can easily add an extra 5-10 pounds onto the scale.

*if you get bored or wanna show off you can bring the body fat calculator to the gym and measure yourself after a tough workout. After all the sweating and dehydration, not to mention having the pump through your body these will change the readings dramatically lol.

If you hit the gym and ran 2 miles, then hit the weights tense up all your muscles and use it, I got as low as 6% LOL, even though I'm normally around 10-12% lol, it's just for fun mind you JUST FOR FUN!!!! :bigtu:

ickaboo
07-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Very informative. It taught me some science behind healthy eating and workout habits instead of just telling me to do it. I learned something.

distantarray
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Very informative. It taught me some science behind healthy eating and workout habits instead of just telling me to do it. I learned something.

thanks :p unfortunately I'm learning that the post was too long for most attention spans lol, it's either that or I used too many words people weren't accustomed to -_-;

Kasinator
07-28-2010, 03:51 PM
I disagree. I just think it needs organization. :) Bold text, subheadings, and footnotes help a lot.

distantarray
07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I disagree. I just think it needs organization. :) Bold text, subheadings, and footnotes help a lot.

maybe but short attention span after posting doesn't help lol, Should atleast fix some typos