PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk...Librarian?

kenshin-chan64
07-23-2010, 03:10 AM
So, in trying to get my friend into cosplay, I suggested we do a steampunk costume together. She's super excited about the idea and we're going to do steampunks of our future professions (or in her case stuff she really likes). She chose a librarian, but I'm having the darndest time trying to figure out accessories to make it look seampunky.

The attached picture has what I've come up with - a nice dress with a bustle, a carpet bag full of old books or twined pamphlets, glasses with flipping magnifying lenses, and a big quill pen with an automatic refiller. Other than those I have no idea :/ Even then, it would be a streach to know right away what she was. Does anyone have any suggestions they can give?

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/kenshin-chan64/examples/librarian.png

ThakYuki
07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Looks good to me! Maybe some type of steampunk-ish necklace would finish it off. I'm planning on doing a similar profession for my first steampunk. For my accessories I'm going to use just a basic pair of glasses, a cameo necklace, and a decked-out book.

Tragic_Prince
07-23-2010, 03:59 PM
give her a keyring. one of the big circular ones. when i think librarians i think keys books and glasses. ^^;

kenshin-chan64
07-23-2010, 09:40 PM
A necklace would be nice and I love the idea of keys. Thank you :)

ThakYuki
07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
When I see Steampunk, I just see Steampunk. I don't really know who's what job unless it's IN-YOUR-FACE obvious.

ModernPrincess
07-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Whatever you do, you need some BAD-ASS Librarian glasses. :3

kenshin-chan64
07-24-2010, 12:52 AM
When I see Steampunk, I just see Steampunk. I don't really know who's what job unless it's IN-YOUR-FACE obvious.

Touche, but I also dont want people to see her at a glance and just think, 'oh look, there's a historical costume' XD

Kaoshima
07-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of the glasses with multiple lenses, it all but screams "steampunk" and also makes sense for a librarian to be wearing such a thing.

Also, I've seen these leather book covers with giant metal locks on them at anime cons before, I think that'd look good with a librarian, a giant locked tome. :P

Archangelz
07-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I love the ideas you have going so far but for some reason when i think of librarians I think not only of glasses but more "old lady" glasses. By that I mean they have those small chains that keep them around your neck.

kenshin-chan64
08-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Thank you for those suggestions, guys :) I really like them

costumemercenar
08-12-2010, 12:19 AM
You say "Steampunk Librarian" and my first mental image is Keith Thompson's Scribe (http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/scribe.html)

Aleanna
08-17-2010, 02:36 AM
I can't see the picture you posted, but I agree with everyone else that you should get a bada$$ pair of multiple lens glasses. And possibly a leather journal/book w/ gold spray painted gears on it or something.

SorcererSupreme
08-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Actually, your initial design looks really good the way it is!

For weight reasons, you may want to replace the bag of books with the type of book suggested above; or limit it to one book in the bag, so that you don't have to carry so much around.

A necklace or Steampunk brooch would be one nice simple finishing touch you could add easily. I like the keyring idea as well. You can get tons of simple, cheap skeleton keys at your local flea markets or sometimes the antique shops as well.

Ironhill
09-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I saw at the cons a wrist bracer that had a full keyboard and a small display screen. I could picture a librarian using one of these as a portable book index.

HEYOashley
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I was thinking...layers underneath the dress could be newsprint or text. They do sell newsprint fabric too and I think it would give a cool vintage feel.

Emrys
09-08-2010, 12:28 AM
How about a Tesla ray gun? Or steam powered roller skates to replace the book trolley? Who says Librarians can't be adventurous? Certainly not Noah Wyle... (How about a Tesla ray gun? Or steam powered roller skates to replace the book trolley? Who says Librarians can't be adventurous? Certainly not [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Librarian:_Quest_for_the_Spear#Plot) >.> *is shot*

kenshin-chan64
09-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Awesome suggestions guys, thanks! :)