PDA

View Full Version : Doll Fabric - Kuroshitsuji

Kuroda Asuka
07-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm planning on making Doll's costume and I've already started on her roses (so much roses~ *cries*) But I'm stumped at her dress itself.

What type of fabric would be great for her white dress and not be super expensive? Especially when it's sort of like a corset too.

I don't want the fabric to have that shine-look to it. Perferably in matte

Here's a picture of her (dress): http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/mini_kitten_o5/doll.jpg

Any ideas guys?

o01101011
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Definitely invest in some boning (or large zip ties >>;; ) to put in the seams, and maybe a few other places, otherwise you'll end up with unattractive bunching. True, maybe not completely accurate, but the dress design calls for it. Either that or boned undergarments (tricky with the open back)

As for fabric...Hm. A decent cotton, cotton suiting, or maybe a thin gabardine. Then to stiffen out the bodice use interfacing and a tougher fabric for the lining. It will give the outer fabric, no matter how flimsy, a more sturdy shape.

Places like Joanns and Hancock fabrics are having sales right now, both online and in store, in case you dont have either near you.

Kuroda Asuka
07-25-2010, 01:05 AM
not too sure how zip ties would work but I'll try some boning

Thanks ^___^

TrannyMess
07-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I would go with steel coils to give it the structure it needs. As far as fabric, a good-quality cotton would be best. If you interface it well and use boning in the bodice, it'll work for that but will still be light enough to make the skirt. Gabardine would be too heavy for the skirt portion.

If you want to go period accurate, use a thick muslin for interfacing and then line the garment. Also, add tulle inside the sleeves to help them maintain their shape.