PDA

View Full Version : Cybergoth/punk fashion... Is there a nice guide?

Kazephyr
07-25-2010, 12:39 AM
So, I've been interested in cyber fashion for years... I've recently begun making cyberlox, as well as cyber clothes and accessories (drawing inspiration from brands like Cyberdog, Alien Skin, etc.). However, I get "designer's block" easily, and I'm wondering if a comprehensive guide to the fashion exists somewhere on the net? I've googled, believe me, but I can't seem to find anything... I could use some designs to inspire me. :)

At any rate, as I'm fairly new to designing cyber clothes, I'd be happy to hear advice from more experienced people. ^^;; For instance: are their any strict "standards" for what is and is not cyber? I know in lolita fashion there's pretty much a code of honor. XD

Yanoshe
07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, depends would you like to do more cyberpunk or cybergoth? Grant it, they're very interchangeable accessory wise and such but there are differences.

Kazephyr
07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Well, depends would you like to do more cyberpunk or cybergoth? Grant it, they're very interchangeable accessory wise and such but there are differences.

I'm into both, actually (though mostly cyberpunk). ^_^;; But yes, I have trouble drawing lines between the two, which is part of why I need the guide. XD

Yanoshe
07-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I see. I'm afraid the guide you're looking for doesn't really exist. :( Most alternative fashions pride themselves with being liberal in their choices, and it's people within the scene itself that will magically decide aesthetic "standards" at some point.

From what you said, you seem very familiar with cyber accessories (lox, goggles, facemasks, etc). So if you're looking to create a more cyberpunk feel I'd suggest browsing aesthetic punk wear and collect pieces that inspire you or you'd think be flattering for yourself. Make an inspiration board of this to help you design a personalized base of the outfit you want, decide on a color scheme and last incorporate your cyber trinkets- then voila! Cyber is just a form to express futurism (and to look like walking neon-lighted signs haha), so if you work with that theme in mind you'll be just fine. If you're worried about crossing too much into a cybergoth look, try to avoid making your base outfit resemble a pure rivethead style. Hope that helps. ^^;

Kazephyr
07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
I see. I'm afraid the guide you're looking for doesn't really exist. :( Most alternative fashions pride themselves with being liberal in their choices, and it's people within the scene itself that will magically decide aesthetic "standards" at some point.

From what you said, you seem very familiar with cyber accessories (lox, goggles, facemasks, etc). So if you're looking to create a more cyberpunk feel I'd suggest browsing aesthetic punk wear and collect pieces that inspire you or you'd think be flattering for yourself. Make an inspiration board of this to help you design a personalized base of the outfit you want, decide on a color scheme and last incorporate your cyber trinkets- then voila! Cyber is just a form to express futurism (and to look like walking neon-lighted signs haha), so if you work with that theme in mind you'll be just fine. If you're worried about crossing too much into a cybergoth look, try to avoid making your base outfit resemble a pure rivethead style. Hope that helps. ^^;

I guess I've spent too much time around lolita forums, where people kill you if you deviate from "the rules". XD I actually really like the idea of a more free fashion. ^_^;;

Thank you so much for the info you've provided. :) It's really helped me out. ^_^ I guess I'll dig around the net for some more inspiration... I have pounds of fabric waiting for me in my room. X3

CyberxDae
08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I've done a few Cyberpunk outfits... Though most of it is bought because I can't sew. x.x I'd be happy to help if you have specific questions. Goggles/Trench coats/Asymmetrical shirts[One long sleeve one sleeveless] Slits cut into the chest of shirts, cyber lox, posture collars, proper Cyberpunk make up and fishnet are all good starts.<3 Also if you're interested in the fashion you should check out Industrial music. I can recommend a few bands if you like, that's the music genera that pretty much made Cyberpunk/Goth what it is today.

KradsLover
08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
This seems helpful to me. I will admit that Cybergoth and cyberpunk scared the bejeebus out of me when I first went to a convention, but I'm starting to see the good sides of it and I'm wanting to give it a try.

It might be a year or two (since I have other projects I need to focus on) but now I know.

Kazephyr
08-14-2010, 10:44 PM
I've done a few Cyberpunk outfits... Though most of it is bought because I can't sew. x.x I'd be happy to help if you have specific questions. Goggles/Trench coats/Asymmetrical shirts[One long sleeve one sleeveless] Slits cut into the chest of shirts, cyber lox, posture collars, proper Cyberpunk make up and fishnet are all good starts.<3 Also if you're interested in the fashion you should check out Industrial music. I can recommend a few bands if you like, that's the music genera that pretty much made Cyberpunk/Goth what it is today.

I'll keep those things in mind. =3 I guess my main question would be: are there common cyberpunk "mistakes"? Kind of like how in lolita fashion, newbies are constantly under fire for putting on too much goth make-up, having too short of skirts, too cheap of materials, etc.? Lol, I'm paranoid and I like to get things right. X3

Oh, and I would LOVE some cyberpunk band recommendations... I've been trying to find bands of that genre, but honestly had no luck. XD

kayndekayne
08-16-2010, 06:37 AM
I'll keep those things in mind. =3 I guess my main question would be: are there common cyberpunk "mistakes"? Kind of like how in lolita fashion, newbies are constantly under fire for putting on too much goth make-up, having too short of skirts, too cheap of materials, etc.? Lol, I'm paranoid and I like to get things right. X3

Oh, and I would LOVE some cyberpunk band recommendations... I've been trying to find bands of that genre, but honestly had no luck. XD

There isnt really a rule book for cyberpunk/goth.
I know more of Cyber goth than punk though. IVe seen cyber goth's who wear commong clothing and cyber locks, which is usually how you know they are cyber goth's to begin with. Ive also seen cyber goth's who go full blow Black vinyl with color's like neon pink, green yellow.
It's one of those styles you really have to make your own.

ganguroniimura
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Just think, What would you wear to the future? both are very post apocalyptic I guess the generl factor is infact the "Goth" and "Punk" aspects. IMO they're very much like the goth and punk just with a future, metal, wired, and shiny twist!

"goth"
http://media.photobucket.com/image/cybergoth/AlbeisRLC/CyberGoth4.jpg?o=17
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51753537@N00/3606184739/
http://media.photobucket.com/image/cyber%20goth/sexyricky1988/cyber%20goth/1255184574r6GHs2.jpg?o=40
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51753537@N00/3856183276/

"punk"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameliaarsenic/4702452267/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameliaarsenic/3488046583/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djcyberia/4634120071/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattivaittinen/3678426461/

as far as goggles and such:
http://www.obscuria.com/gothic/category/Cyber_Goth_Industrial_Gas_Masks/Cybergoth-Gas-Mask.html
http://www.jadedminx.com/goggles.html
http://cryoflesh.com/shop/accessories-c-3.html ( tey hae tons of clothing)
http://cypherlox.com/ ( i get all my crin and any hair colours i can't find from her)

And if you're looking for clothes or anything in general
http://www.batgearbeyond.com/ ( this has the generals Cyber, goth, fetish, even loli etc)

I hope that helped.

Kazephyr
08-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Thank you, that helps a ton! ^^ How have I never heard of Cryoflesh until now? *_* Their stuff is amazing... *Plots shopping spree* XD

ganguroniimura
08-27-2010, 12:27 AM
haha Cryoflesh is gorgeous beyond gorgeous.
Plastikwrap.com which is my one true love
and you have to own atleast one piece from Cyberdog.com

SillyChibi
09-03-2010, 03:00 AM

Anyone who loves Cyberpunk loves SiSeN. A Japanese Cyberpunk DJ. It seems to me that Cyberpunks mostly listen to rave music. I don't know of any bands, but SiSeN is pretty sick. Here's the link.

http://www.myspace.com/sisendj

CyberxDae
12-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Im a lifestyle cyber punk. If you want the truth there -are- a few pet peeves I have about "New" CP's.

Mainly the gaudy nature of over-done outfits. Keep it simple, But accessorized. You dont need cyberlox bigger then your cat. I personally prefer dreads, anyways.~ Boots are almost a -must- for a good CP outfit, Also it's very good to pick no more than three colors for your outfit. I usually do black and green, Or black purple an blue. This helps to bring your outfit together an not look cluttered. Tubes/Gas masks and wings are also all fair game.~

CyberxDae
12-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Also.

-CombiChrist.
-DopeStarsInc.
-Grendel.
-Noisuf-X.
-Centhron.
-Straftanz.
-Nachtmahr.

That should keep you busy for a bit. ;] Also I should specify- Industrial is the music, Cyberpunk is the fashion.

Kazephyr
12-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Im a lifestyle cyber punk. If you want the truth there -are- a few pet peeves I have about "New" CP's.

Mainly the gaudy nature of over-done outfits. Keep it simple, But accessorized. You dont need cyberlox bigger then your cat. I personally prefer dreads, anyways.~ Boots are almost a -must- for a good CP outfit, Also it's very good to pick no more than three colors for your outfit. I usually do black and green, Or black purple an blue. This helps to bring your outfit together an not look cluttered. Tubes/Gas masks and wings are also all fair game.~

But I like Cyberlox bigger than my cat... XD But yeah, I pretty much keep my outfits under three colors. Mostly light/dark contrasts like neon green and black... As for boots... I'm not really sure what to get? XD What "fits" and what doesn't? ^^;;

glitter bomb
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
There really isn't a strict guide created for cyberpunk, partly because that would be counter to the movement really. Like the daughter trend of steampunk, cyberpunk offers the freedom of individual interpretation and expression, limited only by the framework of the time and/or technology.

I'd suggest looking at the roots of cyberpunk fashion, going back to when it originated in the mid-to-late 90s and creeping into the early 2000s. That will offer a clearer sense of the aesthetic, as well as more creative explorations of the style. There was also some great fetish styling done then that branched off cyberpunk. Looking at music, videos and literature from that time or early in the movement may also help. If you understand the spirit of a subculture you can better understand how to interpret the style that springs from it.

That time period was a lot more pure state of the cyberpunk style, before it got diluted by Hot Topic pseudo-goth. Fashion always evolves, so I don't have a problem with styles shifting or merging in general. But I am saddened that the cyberpunk movement has gotten watered down into "kids who wear black and have lots of buckles." Currently it really has nothing to do with "cyber" nor "punk" it's just generic club goth. IMO the gritty edge that marked the cyberpunk style has been lost over time. I think that's an important element to bring back into the fashion.

I feel Cyberpunk used to be more like what Steampunk is now, only with the overlay of an imagined future instead of imagined past. More about transhumanism, dystopia or utopia, unprettifying things or demonstrating a non-standard view of beauty. The kinds of things you see now in Steampunk when people do faux prosthetic arms with brass and gears, or eye pieces, or panels of dials and gears, steam tech incorporated into clothing or the body -- only instead of steam technology it was computer technology. Thinking of it in that regard may help.

On a personal note: since the original cyberpunk movement is now 10-25 years old, I'd really like to see someone reinterpret the cyberpunk style for our present time, updating it with an eye for current fashion trends, technological movements (cell phones weren't even in use when cyberpunk first started), and social issues.

All that said, there's no law that says you have to be strictly one style or the other. If you want to incorporate goth, club, or emo elements into a cyberpunk style then go for it. :) It's your body and your clothes so you should enjoy it. However, I do think that one should then identify their style as "cybergoth" or "cyberpunk influenced" or whatever to avoid being misleading or seeming uninformed.

ETA: also, everything Yanoshe said is awesome. :)

glitter bomb
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I've recently begun making cyberlox, as well as cyber clothes and accessories (drawing inspiration from brands like Cyberdog, Alien Skin, etc.). However, I get "designer's block" easily, and I'm wondering if a comprehensive guide to the fashion exists somewhere on the net? I've googled, believe me, but I can't seem to find anything... I could use some designs to inspire me. :)

a thought on your designer's block. It sounds like what you're doing now is just looking at what other designers have already done. That quickly gets derivative and stale. If you want to have your own ideas on the style you need to find your own source for inspiration. Catalogs and websites from other designers isn't really inspiration, it's a cheat sheet to pull elements from. All you'll be doing there is recycling someone else's work. That's not really designing, that's just copying.

I suggest broadening your view a lot more. Look at the start of the style and what defined the movement, as I suggested, but also look totally outside of the movement. Look at classic or contemporary styles from other cultures and envision how they'd look cyberpunked. Look at films, magazines and blogs on culture or technology for inspiration. Look at the maker culture. Look at the life-hacks and gadget-hacks being done in developing countries, they're incredibly resourceful with ordinary materials. Travel, get out, go to events you normally wouldn't, investigate genres you normally wouldn't. Inspiration comes from everywhere. I've gotten inspiration for clothing or costumes from grocery stores, business magazines, classic films.

The point is that inspiration is everywhere. And the more seemingly unlikely your source is the greater your chances of coming up with something unique. If you want do something creative you need to be creative.

Kazephyr
12-09-2010, 05:09 PM
a thought on your designer's block. It sounds like what you're doing now is just looking at what other designers have already done. That quickly gets derivative and stale. If you want to have your own ideas on the style you need to find your own source for inspiration. Catalogs and websites from other designers isn't really inspiration, it's a cheat sheet to pull elements from. All you'll be doing there is recycling someone else's work. That's not really designing, that's just copying.

Ah yes, you have many good points. I guess, having dabbled in the uber-strict lolita fashion, I'm paranoid about being *too* creative. XD But I guess that's why I've more or less switched to more liberal fashions like cyberpunk. ^^;; A good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. =)

I feel Cyberpunk used to be more like what Steampunk is now, only with the overlay of an imagined future instead of imagined past. More about transhumanism, dystopia or utopia, unprettifying things or demonstrating a non-standard view of beauty. The kinds of things you see now in Steampunk when people do faux prosthetic arms with brass and gears, or eye pieces, or panels of dials and gears, steam tech incorporated into clothing or the body -- only instead of steam technology it was computer technology. Thinking of it in that regard may help.

You know, that's how I've always preferred seeing the fashion, even before I got involved in it. =) I always felt like that's what made cyberpunk... cyber. XD Whereas a lot of the stuff I see in more modern interpretations does seem to blur the line between cyberpunk and generic ravewear. ^^;;

Anyway, thank you for your well thought out response, it helped a lot! ^_^

glitter bomb
12-09-2010, 05:39 PM
you're very welcome. :) I'm glad that I didn't come across as negative. I was trying to offer encouragement to explore your own take on things, but it's hard to express some of this creative stuff across teh interwebs.

It sounds like you have a love for various styles, so cutting yourself free from constraints will probably result in some very fun designs. :) And if the end result isn't traditionally "cyberpunk" then find another label (or no label). I know I sometimes aim for point A and end up instead at point D, but the result is cool so who cares. ;)

As you said, Lolita is uber-strict and I feel that can box people in and stifle their creativity. When you've been under that thumb, so to speak, you can develop an internal screening process where your ideas get shot down quickly because of the imposed rules. Thoughts of using different materials for juxtaposition, or changing design lines to suit a different purpose, can be thought of as "wrong" so they never even make it to the drawing board. Having the freedom to introduce new elements is what allows a style to evolve. So I say note down every idea or inclination that comes to you, collect all kinds of visual inspiration. Don't judge them to be good or bad, right or wrong, useful or silly. Just let the brain juices stew. If it triggers some kind of reaction or interest, grab it/note it and don't question it. Then go back later and pick out the stronger elements.

Personally, I like just enough rules to give me some guidance in a general direction, but then a lot of freedom to experiment and meander around. Or even run amok in a different place. It can be hit or miss (not every idea is ZOMG!), but I've found that process means I rarely ever have creative block. :) Good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you do.

CyberxDae
12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
There are some nice boots on Cryoflesh.com. Also I think you're over thinking Cyberpunk. Just let it come natural- That's what I do and I always look great.~

MinervaLi
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Goggles can be the most fun part of an outfit. I don't wear Cyberlox much, but I do have some amazing red and black hair falls that I pair with my biohazard goggles.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/MinervaLiRenfield/goggles4570.jpg

Kazephyr
12-10-2010, 06:57 PM
you're very welcome. :) I'm glad that I didn't come across as negative. I was trying to offer encouragement to explore your own take on things, but it's hard to express some of this creative stuff across teh interwebs.

It sounds like you have a love for various styles, so cutting yourself free from constraints will probably result in some very fun designs. :) And if the end result isn't traditionally "cyberpunk" then find another label (or no label). I know I sometimes aim for point A and end up instead at point D, but the result is cool so who cares. ;)

Oh no, I knew it was just constructive criticism. =) I appreciate that a lot, as it's a crucial building block of improvement, and that's why I made this topic in the first place: to improve. :)

Yeah, my tastes in fashion cover a wide, wide spectrum... Dark, gritty, girly, cutesy... I tend to dabble in a bit of everything. XD So I guess I'll experiment with some ideas that just "feel" right, and see how things turn out. ^_^

There are some nice boots on Cryoflesh.com. Also I think you're over thinking Cyberpunk. Just let it come natural- That's what I do and I always look great.~

Thanks, I'll check out their boots. ^^

Yeah, I may well be over-thinking it a tad. XD The first fashion I really got into much was lolita, and... You're beaten over the head if you put the ribbon a little too high, there. ^^;; So, I just nervously stuck to imitating exactly what I saw. XD

Goggles can be the most fun part of an outfit. I don't wear Cyberlox much, but I do have some amazing red and black hair falls that I pair with my biohazard goggles.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/MinervaLiRenfield/goggles4570.jpg

Ah yes, I lurve me some goggles. XD I have a green/black pair that I tend to pair with my matching cyberlocks, as well. =)

ballet shoes
02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I've been into the cyber scene for a good 8 years now so I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have :) Albeit I'm from the UK so it will be a different perspective than someone from the US. In my experience our scene has always been a few years behind you guys. When I first stumbled into a club when I was but a baby (18 years old) I was there to see my favourite band at the time (Covenant - check them out!!) I had no idea about the fashion I just loved EBM (Electronic Body Music)/industrial/synth pop/noize etc, back then I was very much into rockabilly fashion and the cyber scene was very bright and the more over the top the better. Think LED lights in dread falls/cyber lox, 10 inch platforms and so neon that it hurts to look at you. It was also tremeandously cliquey back then and it took me a heck of a long time (years) to feel comfortable going to clubs/gigs without feeling like my outfit was being scrutinised from every angle. Thankfully it's nothing like that now over here!! We went through neon, back to rivet head, through crazy neon and now it is very much, industrial, circuit board, pin stripe, undercut, large platforms which I love but I can't resist neoning it up every now and again!! So my long winded answer is there is no strict dress code like lolita but over here trends within the fashion come and go, no idea what its like over there though! You mentioned Cyberdog before (some of their old stuff is wonderful), I'd certainly check out a UK brand called Spank, they are more industrially understated than Cyberdog but they have some great designs! Was a shame when their London store shut down but they still have a webstore! Just have fun with it and good luck. If you would like any EBM/industrial/synth pop/noize etc etc band suggestions I'd be more than happy to help :)

Alliekitten
03-17-2011, 12:05 AM
there's these cothing co. that remind me of cyberpunk/cybergoth:
plastikwrap
artific clothing

Also, cybergoth/punk like all darker fashions, is just mildly deviating from the core fashion (goth/punk). So you will run into Industrial, EBM, noize, etc. Which is what most of the music will be classified as.