PDA

View Full Version : Strange kinda pot-belly

p8ntballsniper8
07-25-2010, 01:24 AM
So, I have some weird... pot belly thing. I think I inherited it from my dad because he has a stomach that's similar to mine, only alot larger.

It's strange because it's not fat, and I know this because I have a little around my waist already. Plus, I can "suck it in" and my stomach becomes flat, but if relax, or push it out, I look like I swallowed a small beach ball.

I'll post some pictures (if I can figure out how) later, but does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, and if so, how I can get rid of it?

SamuriSmurfX
07-25-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm familiar with what your talking about. I'm looking into more information on it but my quick searching is all coming up with diet related issues. I'll look into it and ask around for you.

LadiesMan217
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
You may just need to strengthen your abdominal muscles. Since it doesn't sound like you are trying to lose weight, you can focus on strength training. You should still do some cardio, though.

You can look up different exercises for for abs like how to do proper crunches, exercise balls, etc, and see what works for you. I think if you build stronger muscles in that area, it will tighten you up.

infinitydragon
07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
This may seem a bit rude, but are you sure you aren't just a bit fatter than you think and carying your weight on your belly? You could be 'skinny-fat', AKA skinny with a high bodyfat percentage.

If so, abdominal exercises will only make it bigger and the only way to get it down would be to reduce your overall body fat.

SamuriSmurfX
07-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I looked into it, haven't met with the doctor about it though. There is a chance you could simply have some visceral far built up, in which there's no easy way to rid yourself of it. Proper diet and exercise away!

There's a small chance for some type of disease, but very small, it would have been corrected when you were a child most likely.

But, I noticed a number of discussions in body building forms. People who are incredibly fit can have the same trouble you are. Lots of muscle but are capable of letting it spill out as you may - What's recommended is that you "train" your organs to stay in a certain position, it's called a vacuum exercise.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

There's the URL to the exercise.
Once I meet with the doc, I'll update.

89th_Alice
07-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Also, make sure your posture is right. If you tend to 'hang' in your back your belly will automatically move forward.

distantarray
07-28-2010, 12:15 AM
people's body react different to storing fat. Some people just store more fat in different parts of the body. Find your body fat calculator and if your higher than 10% as a guy your stomach shouldn't be too flat, at 8% or lower you should have a nice 6pack. about 15-17% for women.

Hyperbomb69
07-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Genetics.
Hit the gym buddy.

Braithcakes
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
it could also have something to do with diet, my friend david gets a pot belly (I call it a preggo belly) after he eats and it stays there...all day, all the time. and I know it's from him not drinking water, he drinks plenty of liquids but no water.

if thats not it, weeellllll :'D idk

p8ntballsniper8
08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks all for the help. I figure the best way to go about it would be just regular diet and exercise. Thankfully the military takes care of half of that for me.

Anyways, Smurf, I await your reply, meanwhile I'll be trying that stomach vacuum thing.

Rjr3412
08-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I know that if you miss certain nutrients/vitamins etc it can cause a distended stomach. I remember learning about it in relation to some areas of Africa, where you see extremely skinny people with big pot bellies, and it is because their diet is lacking some particular nutrient.

Is the food you eat very varied? Do you take your multi-vitamin every day? You might want to look into this, because if it is this sort of thing it can clear up rather easily by fixing your diet.

If its not that, you can always do a little ab workout to strengthen the muscles. Additionally by always keeping a bit of tension in your stomach muscles, particularly while standing, is great for posture. You can make yourself look taller and more impressive. A general rule of advice regardless of current fitness level.

Ll4m4
08-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I used to do the vacuum exercise while sitting in my office chair at work. Nice way to get some kind of muscle training while seemingly doing nothing. :)