PDA

View Full Version : Dance Dance Revolution

SilverStarboy
07-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Ive read a few success stories about people using DDR as a way of losing weight. Ive started using this method because its fun and I know I will stick with it. But Im curious. Has anyone on here shed any pounds through DDR?

dreamoflife02
07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I lost some weight through DDR, and my legs got stronger-- but only when I got good enough to do songs rated 7-8 feet. While doing an easy song is better than sitting on the couch, it won't get your heart pumping or burn many calories at all. So if you're just starting to learn DDR, I'd work on improving skills and pushing yourself to do harder songs rather than sticking to ones you get good scores on.

Kilayi
07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I haven't played in a long time, but I have really noticed the difference. I can speak to the facts that at least in my case, while I was playing it every day for an hour or so, I kept my weight down. I really need to get back to playing, because since I've stopped I've gained some weight.

It really helps to have friends who are playing with you, and try to beat each others scores, forcing each other to try your hardest and to get better. A side benefit to staying active in general would be that you'll get better at the game too :P
When I was playing intensely I could play almost every song on Heavy mode, even songs with 10 feet! Those intense songs really help keep you fit and quick. My feel feel like weights sometimes nowadays.

... I really need to get some friends who want to be competitive with my and time to play it again :/

I think if I had kept it up I'd be in much better shape than I am in now.

Doe that help answer your question? ^^;

Squeesax
07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
A few years ago, I got to where I could play DDR about 2 hours a day, not every day but most days while doing 20 minutes of at-home pilates 3 times a week and lost 20+ lbs in a summer. I also cut out all junk food and coke was for special times only (AKA going to the movies, which I dont do often).

It burns a serious amount of calories if you do pretty fast paced songs (I did Light and a few songs on Standard).

I ended up gaining all that weight back and more and now, my ankles refuse to play more then 2 or so songs DX

But if you can play DDR for long periods of time, do it. It's great cardio and it was a fun way to get me to exercise. Now I'm stuck doing things less fun and it sucks DX

air4akito
07-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Back in 8th grade, I took up DDR. I didn't do it to lose weight, but I thought it was a fun way to get myself to sweat. In 9th grade, I noticed that I was a lot less chubby. I also noticed that my legs had gotten much, much stronger. They looked muscular, toned, and very well shaped. I always get compliments on my legs when I crossplay, so I know that DDR has done a lot as far as that goes.

DDR is also fun because when you play at the mall you get people to stop and look at you, and it's very amusing to watch their shocked faces as you spastic-ally flail your legs around, lol.

[EDIT] - I play on expert and challenge modes. If you play on any levels below that, you will not get a proper workout. You need to be patient and get mildly good at the game before you can use it as a way to lose weight.

mangakaluna
07-26-2010, 01:20 AM
I've been trying it too, but you won't get a good workout unless you dance for at least an hour XD If you get to the point that you're sweating and your heart rate has increased, then that means you're actually working out.

If you do plan to try playing DDR for a good workout, make sure you have a way to keep your dance mat secure! If you don't have a decent one, you'll slip!

The Hag
07-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Like any kind of exercise, whether or not you lose weight will depend of how long and vigorously you do it and whether you are offsetting the calories burned with what you eat.

I can't really say that I've "lost weight" with DDR because, 1. I exercise for overall health, my weight isn't really an issue and 2. I do other types of exercise as well.

IMO -

Downsides of DDR

1. It's all lower body. I get a better total body workout at the gym because I do weight training, rowing and elliptical. You can make it somewhat more of a well-rounded workout by focusing on your form rather than just flailing around. Add arm movements, pull up and control your core muscles. This should also improve your balance allowing you to move your feet faster.

2. It's high impact. If you do it enough over a long period of time (I'm talking years) it will catch up to you. There are a lot of women who did high-impact aerobics with Jane Fonda in the 80's who are now having trouble with their joints.

3. It's expensive. I found that the plastic mats were not adequate for higher levels so a year ago I bought a Cobalt Flux. It was expensive, but less than most yearly gym memberships.

Upsides of DDR

1. It's amazingly fun. When life gets hectic and I start slacking off on other exercise, I still will do DDR because it is so enjoyable. The best exercise routine in the world is useless if you don't stick with it. DDR is not the most efficient or well-rounded workout but it keeps me from turning into a complete slug during periods when I am too busy or unmotivated to get to the gym and it makes my eventual return to the gym far less painful!

Kasinator
07-26-2010, 09:19 AM
stepmania you can get for your pc for free and add your own songs. the only thing you need to pay for is a dance pad. :bigtu:

The Hag
07-26-2010, 09:46 AM
I keep meaning to get set up with Stepmania and haven't gotten around to it. (:

Even with DDR, for me the main expense was the pad as I've had access to a PS2 for years that I didn't pay for and I buy the games used for $10 or so. In my experience, the plastic pads just slip too much for the higher foot songs. Also, the metal pads let you wear shoes. I do DDR often enough that I need to consider the cumulative effect of high-impact. A good pair of shock absorbing shoes helps! I'm not saying that you have to have a metal pad to use DDR (or Stepmania) for exercise, but if you plan on using it as a major part of your exercise program I think it's a good investment. I can do harder songs, get better scores, get a better workout and have more fun with the metal pad than I ever did with the plastic one. I did a fair amount of research and, short of building your own, I think the Cobalt Flux's are the sturdiest. Other brands that I looked into there were too many reviews that said they worked fine at first but were broken in a couple of months. I paid about $350 for the Cobalt Flux just over a year ago. It's seen heavy use (no pun intended!) and works just as well now as the day I took it out of the box.

DevTehFiend
07-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I've been meaning to play DDR more, but my dad is preparing me for moving out soon and has been buying me 'grown-up' furniture that barely fits in my room now so I've really got a very small space in which to play in. I'll have to figure out how to move my bed a little so I can at least get in a good spot to see the TV.

Braithcakes
07-28-2010, 07:13 PM
yeah, if you want to lose weight, you actually have to move.

doing little steps to it slowly wont equate to even just walking.

totorolover
08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
my cousin used to be way overweight, he started playing DDR for 45min to an hour a day, the fast songs of course and lost at least 30lbs( i think it was more). with in 5 months. DDR is definitely a great workout

Sorahana
08-03-2010, 09:00 AM
In my junior year of high school, I did DDR for a month once a day for about 30 mins at a time and lost 20 lbs, I kid you not. I would totally go back and do that regime again (since I've gained the weight back and then some, bah) but after a while now my ankle hurts when I do it for a while ^^;.

Squeesax: Haha I'm the same way, my ankles can't take many songs anymore, so I'm going to try and use my WiiFit a little more for other types of excercise.

solthar187
08-29-2010, 02:27 AM
well me and a couple of friend do competitive ddr and piu. wich mean we actually go to tournament of ddr and piu a few in usa some in mexico but a few year back our group got to go to korea since the wpf 2007 winer was a mexican an a great friend of ours.
ok here goes my POV.
upside
great workout adn i have to say to most ppl no even easy song can be helpful there is a thing called Nonstop its after heavy when you choose dificulty (i play ddr extreme so its were it is in that one lol) and technicaly its 4 song nonstop in different difficulties dependin on what you choose and two or three credits of that can be even better than one credit of 3-5 (8feet) songs since like some one here said fast hard songs are high inpanct so dont be discuraged of the easy songs.
when with friend yes you can encourage youself to do better and if ppl stop to look at you oh man taht feeling you see in there faces of awe is awesome as a confidence bosster.
ok now the bad
yes it can get expensive if you let it
yes the mat are not really good for the omg what the h3*l is this songs lol but if you are devoted and are looking for cheap then save up metal mat in ebay can go from 50-120 dlls and seem a bit much but when you think of it each credit is around 50cents to 1dllr so if you go two or three day a week and do 5 credits that is 2.50 to 5dllper day so its 15 dlls in a week and would be 10 week worth of money wich is about three months. well ive had my metal dance mat for over 2 year and only had to change the buttonce once whne a friend accidetlay broke one and wasnt that expensive so i can say that 100 dllls is better than 15dlls a week for 60 weeks welll you get the math two year of ddr at home have been cheaper than two year of ddr at the mall.
Now dont get me wrong i stilll go to the movies or to the mall and do ddr or piu but it not for exercise it for fun.
ok got well not tryin to sell you on anythin i am a great beleiver if i cant see it i dont beleive it so try it out go to you local mall or movie theather usually have ddr ther or piu and try it two credits and you will see how much you can sweat lol

on a last note if some of you dont know where a ddr machine can be go to
ddrfreak.com and click on the side tab called machine location and tell you wehre a ddr is all over the world lol that website is awesome and no it not mine but being a devoted ddr apasionado i like it lol well hope you guys and galls have fun and try ddr the next time you see it this world would be much better with more dancer and pumper in it lol

Kii
08-30-2010, 05:55 PM
If you don't want to use a crappy flat pad at home but aren't ready for a metal one, you can get hard foam ones as a good in-between option. You can't wear shoes on them, but they're a bit cushiony without hindering gameplay. I really like mine, unfortunately it looks like the site I got them from is gone now (BNS) so I'm not sure where you can buy good ones. I got two for around ~$250 CAD including shipping iirc, it's probably been around 3 years now and they aren't showing any signs of wearing down yet.

I really like DDR (though I like ITG more - they got rid of every machine in my city T_T). I play liiike 8s-9s usually. I have a lot of songs on Stepmania too but there's less room for a dance mat next to my computer, so I don't play it with my feet as often (I'm better on the keyboard >> FFR anyone?). When I play at home I usually look at it as a workout and play on heavy nonstop for at least an hour, but I don't do it often enough to have seen any sort of difference. I definitely would like to and I always tell myself to play more, so some of the stories in this thread are inspiring me. xD DDR and para para/j-pop dances are, quite honestly, the only ways I exercise by choice... >_>

Ghai
08-30-2010, 06:38 PM
@_@ heavy an hour? I'm playing universe atm and difficult/standard for forty mins is when I hit the missing way to many arrows due to legs saying eff this.

I use it as my cardio, then do Isometrics and calstenics(sp?) for a total of hour and ten mins. Now I get to mix it with weight training and whatever else my weght training teacher wants to do. yay for cross training.

mirrorsaber
08-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I did use DDR to loose weight back when I was 240, but I still did other exersizes. I mostly used it during winter when there was a lot of snow. Its good cardio but you need other exersizes as well such as strenth training.

I can't use it anymore because i pretty much scratched the disc (and it was an older PS2 version).

Airst
09-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I was thinking of playing DDR in my lunchbreaks at work as a fun way to workout in addition to my normal workout routine.

avskull
09-01-2010, 10:50 PM
i dont think DDR is high impact, feet never rise more then 2 inches ever and sport shoes never feel anything. i can play tons of heavy and crazy ddr and pump it up songs and i dont feel feet pain but anyways. yeah ddr is no good for upper body but there always push ups, lol. i shadow the tv all the time.

oyahime
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Just an option in case someone here hasn't said this already:

For those who don't own DDR; there are plenty of videos on sites such as Youtube that play the song and arrow movements for you, and all you have to do is stand in front of your computer screen and follow them. I call it "Air DDR", but that's just me. I do own DDR, though I have never used it as an exercise method, but this is a happy alternative to those who do not own the game and who are going to be in front of a computer all day anyway. :)

distantarray
09-04-2010, 03:41 AM
i dont think DDR is high impact, feet never rise more then 2 inches ever and sport shoes never feel anything. i can play tons of heavy and crazy ddr and pump it up songs and i dont feel feet pain but anyways. yeah ddr is no good for upper body but there always push ups, lol. i shadow the tv all the time.

on super high levels it burns a lot of calories, and if you hold onto a rail like on the arcade machine at extremely high levels you can workout your arms quite a bit more than you think, but then these are only for extremely high levels. of course you could always mix things up, i literally had friends who practiced ddr with back flips and handstands and whatever lol, it all depends on how much you want to get into something =)