PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Steampunk: Help!

Archangelz
07-25-2010, 07:27 PM
So.

My roommate and I wanted to do Steampunk outfits and I started to realize as I looked around that while there are some cool slightly Asian outfits that's pretty much the only variations beyond the Victorian England kind of thing. Well heck no techno, it's time for something different and since I'm descended from Mexicans (thanks mom and dad!) I figured I'd do something with that.

I started to look at images from the Mexican Revolution (see link below) for ideas. I can probably use a pair of old black jeans I have to start off and I found where I can order a rifle to modify and some bullet belts to go across my chest. What I really wanted to do was do something like the cover of The Good, Bad, and the Ugly where a poncho is used over what would most likely be a long sleeved white shirt.

The biggest issue I'm having is thinking up ways to "steampunk" the outfit. I thought of doing gear spurs on my boots in addition to modding out my rifle (which I still don't have a clear vision for). Thoughts? Help?

http://www.laprensatoledo.com/Stories/2009/050109/p%20pancho%20villa%201911.jpg

http://blockclubonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2_lge_Good_080109034516226_wideweb__300x300.jpg

paper cosplay
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM
just to warn you some people will say its not steampunk but weird west just ignore them if your haveing fun with the costume.

for the costume.
1. follow Clients example add a metal bulletproof vest.
2. you can always cheap out and go with the just add goggles idea
4. add something form a different time period.
my fist costume I used an old gas mask to make my bandit.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1635279/
5. steampunk up the weapons or get some other gagets to attach to the bandoleer

ThakYuki
07-25-2010, 09:46 PM
2. you can always cheap out and go with the just add goggles idea

Ugh, please do not do this. It looks really tacky when you add goggles to a costume that really doesn't need them.

Just take some type of Mexican uniform from the Victorian era and just add some steampunk-ish accents to it.

Archangelz
07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
1. follow Clients example add a metal bulletproof vest.

5. steampunk up the weapons or get some other gagets to attach to the bandoleer

Who is Client and where is this example?

What kinds of gadgets would you suggest?

paper cosplay
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Client Eastwoodthe guy in your reference pic (http://blockclubonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2_lge_Good_080109034516226_wideweb__300x300.jpg) in a fist full of dollars uses a metal plate as a bullet proof vest. This is copied in back to the future 3.

gadgets are just gadgets. hand cranked portable generators, Lights, tools, just little nick knacks

MissKrissy
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I think you mean Clint Eastwood....

Kell-chan
07-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Okay, I think the problem Archangelz is having - he's my roomie, btw - is that we have the costume base established - that of a Mexican revolutionary. Nuff said. Where we're having issues is what everyone means when they say "steampunk up" the weapons, accessories, etc. What exactly does this mean? I want to believe it's a little more creative than throwing gears onto existing items. It's also not enough just to have a few steampunk items - we want them to at least be reasonable for his character to carry.

paper cosplay
07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Easiest way for me to describe it. Create modern or futuristic device using 19th century technology
clock work, steam power, early combustion engines, early electrical devices with vacuum tubes, Tesla coil.

Mechanical computers, teals coil lighting guns or even using it as a tazer, steam power jet pack, metal body armor, target scopes.

get creative and try to have reasons for your items

ThakYuki
07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I have a suggestion that might work. As seen in the first photo, they're wearing "belts" of bullets. You can use the same design, but use some type of vial (with maybe green liquid or something) in place of bullets. Then make a gun that could theoretically "shoot" the vials, something like a modified shotgun.

Flora88
08-01-2010, 11:17 AM
First, you have to decide your character's backstory. Who IS your character? They did he or she DO?
Then think about what they'd need to do these things and the hindrances they might have.

Sidenote: Metallic/robotic arms are always cool.

Kaoshima
08-01-2010, 10:03 PM
First, you have to decide your character's backstory. Who IS your character? They did he or she DO?
Then think about what they'd need to do these things and the hindrances they might have.

Sidenote: Metallic/robotic arms are always cool.

That's one way to go about it, but you don't always have to have an ironclad backstory and bio just to make an outfit.