PDA

View Full Version : So NAF 2010 came and went. Thoughts?

Otaking97
07-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I enjoyed the Sat as I usually do. Came around noon and left around 8. How was the dance?

Rainbowgasm
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I didnt go to the dance because we got really tired...

Saturday we were there from 10-7 and Sunday 10-5...
It was a very nice little con for the most part, not too many people... How many ended up being there? I felt like we just kept seeing the same 20 people over and over XP
We ran the Vampire Knight and Shounen-ai panels on the Saturday and they were very good in my opinion... And not just US, I mean the people that came to them, we really didnt plan too well but once conversation gets going, an hour flies by really quick!
Unfortunately our Trinity Blood panel on Sunday ended up being at the same time as the AMV contest AND the autograph session with Todd... so only 1 or 2 people who KNEW the series were there and a few that had never seen it before... So that one kinda failed in a horrid way XP
We'll go back next year! I found I like running panels so if they keep up the reduced reg. for Panelists, it makes it a free con for us since my gf lives 10mins away... That always helps encourage attendance for us! ;) XP

Skyeliosis
07-26-2010, 01:17 PM
I didn't go to the dance either, but I heard everyone left around 11pm or something =/

The pannels we went to were really fun! I went to the feed back pannel too. I'm thinking about running a pannel next year now~ Over all I had a really good time and meet some awesome people ^^

K-Man
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I definitely think next year you should consider having some signs up or something telling people where to go out front as they come into Durham College. When I got there, I had no idea which way to go as there were no signs directing cars/people on which building/area to goto for the Con?!?! I ended up driving around the entire campus before I spotted some cosplayers in back and then I had to drive back out to the parking area looking for a parking attendant only to find none! (Apparently, they don't charge/check for parking on weekends.)

Shion Sonozaki
07-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I had a great time! I came Sunday with my friends, we got there around 11 and stayed till about five. I was with four people; the Hope and Sasuke cosplayers, and then I wore the pink Lightning wig at one point that my friend got. And one of our other friends there, wore the pink Lightning wig too! He's a guy but it looked awesome on him! xD XD

It was really fun - it's a small con, yes, but I love that about it! There's lots of fun activities! It was so cool, that one room where you could play video games with everyone!

And the room with the merchandise was real nice too! It was bigger than I thought actually! I got an awesome Soul Eater wall scroll! =) And we went to the Host Club, which was real fun! We had to leave earlier though, but it was real awesome! Everyone got into the characters and had so much fun!

Me and my friends went to the panel with Todd Haberkorn and Micah Solusod! It was real fun! We've met Todd before but never met Micah, I was excited to meet him, as I love his voice for Soul in Soul Eater! =) Me and Hope told him he was awesome as Soul and high fived him. Todd's so nice too, as usual!

It's fun seeing other anime fans in Oshawa! I live here, so it's cool seeing that there are a lot of fans here. =D

Can't wait for the next NAF! =D

Mekou
07-26-2010, 02:44 PM
For those who are curious we had 245 registered attendees! Add in staff and volunteers and there was at least 300 people! :D WOO!

Thank you everyone who attended. I'll address any specific issues/feedback people have asap (getting ready for Otakon right now. XD). It really makes me happy to know that despite unexpected hiccups that people still had fun and enjoyed the con. ^_^

RoseHanabira
07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
300 in total eh? That's really cool to know numbers, it's a lot more than I was expecting!

I was one of those poor unfortunate souls not able to go on Saturday so I came on Sunday. There were a few hiccups with registration (I was a panelist who arrived a bit late so I never got my special badge, haha, oops, but it was only $5 and it was my own fault so I didn't mind too much), but all in all it was really great!

I wanted to give a HUGE thanks to whoever brought in Goldeneye for the games room. My boyfriend was pretty much obligated to come and he's still a newbie in the ways of anime, playing Goldeneye absolutely made his day!

box of doom
07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
@Mekou Woo! I thought we'd hit 300 this year! I'm happy to hear that!

@K-Man That is an issue that people are planning to address. I have to say, though, inside the building, the signage was much better than previous years. I'm glad for that.

@RoseHanabira: You may still be able to get your refund, if you want it.
Email the programming gmail, and I'll see what I can do.

As for my own thoughts...
I enjoyed NAF, I always do.

Thanks for everyone who came to the events like Hetalia Bingo, the café, and the Ouran Hosting. It was great running them, and I hope everyone enjoyed them.

If you liked what you saw in programming this year, please, let me know. If there was something you didn't see, again, please let me know. And remember, if you volunteer to run things, there's a very good chance that they will happen.

VickyBunnyAngel
07-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Aside from getting kinda lost on campus, NAF was what I was expecting, and the sort of fun that is characteristic to small cons. Got to see the same people over and over again, so it meant I got to talk to people more and have longer conversations XD (cuz there wasn't much else for us dealers to do).

I heard the Forge of Hephaestus panel went really well, and was very informative, but I got stuck at the table and couldn't go. Oh well.

Smelling nail polish all day probably isn't very healthy, but I'm glad that people think my nail designs are pretty :)

Otaking97
07-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Ah yes the no signs outside thing. That was wierd because in previous years they usually had them outside. But not this year. Oh well I already knew where it was so I was ok that way.

Mekou
07-27-2010, 10:48 AM
To address the outsign signs issue, I think what happened was that we were all so busy with our tasks that none of us really thought of it, and when it was brought up we didn't have anything to put outside. Usually, the college provided us with sandwich boards to put outside, but I think they were all being used by the Chinese Church thing that was also going on. :S

I know my own thinking was that by default people would pull into the front entrance and park outside of the south wing and come inside to start looking for the con. LOL, but clearly my own way of thinking is very backwards from everyone else. XD;

We are making a note to have outside signs and better signs inside. On that note, if anyone would like to be in charge of that job we are defiitely looking for someone to be in charge of signage at the con. It would be help alleviate the confusion that tends to happen because we focus on other things and forget about others.

hypersapiens
07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
A map in the program book or on the back of the schedule photocopy would have been really helpful for myself & others not familiar with the campus. We spent a lot of time just getting oriented and trying to figure out where things were. (On that note, thanks to the two volunteers who actually showed us where rooms were on separate occasions!) Also information on the parking situation was nonexistent and we ended up paying when we didn't need to. Not real happy about that.

On the up side, the panels were excellent. We really enjoyed Cosplay 101/102 and Anthony's armor panel, which was more of a historical overview than a practical panel, but interesting nonetheless. Other highlights were meeting the VA's and getting free sword lessons from Douglas Tong & his students. Oh and the Talent Show was fantastic.

omgitsanna
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Ahhh NAF was soo much fun, It went by too fast. ;_; Everyone at the artist alley was so nice, I had such a great time. Jessica and I had our first panel ever and it went well definately will have one next year! I went to the dance but it was a little boring.. there was no Kpop to play.. OTL Masquerade and talent show was awesome as mentioned before. 8D <3

Mekou
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Kpop? In MY japanese anime con? :|

LOL, but really, I don't personally know much kpop (not a fan), but we can't play just kpop because everyone is suddenly into it these days. By next year, people might be into something else like russian circus music or something. XD

Otaking97
07-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Ahhh NAF was soo much fun, It went by too fast. ;_; Everyone at the artist alley was so nice, I had such a great time. Jessica and I had our first panel ever and it went well definately will have one next year! I went to the dance but it was a little boring.. there was no Kpop to play.. OTL Masquerade and talent show was awesome as mentioned before. 8D <3

The masq was awesome? Really? I did absolutely terrible stand up! LOL!

Skyeliosis
07-28-2010, 11:55 AM

>:0 Ohay.
I was the smoker on sat, I found you!

lol.

BsWN
07-28-2010, 09:14 PM
O_O Wow, I'm late into this one. My thoughts? The best out of my total experience (3 >.<) in some areas. The panels weren't as "useful" as the ones at my last con, but they were way more fun. Like, I actually SPOKE. Which is pretty good, since I'm usually a total introvert... <.< >.> I have two favorite panels the Vampire Knight ( I swear I'm not biased, it was a good panel, lol. =P) and Canon Vs. Fanon, although I came in late to that one (and someone asked me what was in my jar...).

On Saturday it was okay, I had just gotten my wig and was awkward with it, but Sunday was awesome, since I actually socialized. Anna, my aunt, my brother, and my mom are proud of me for making friends =) (lol, I sound like a socialy inept 3 year-old). And now I've been sucked into Kuroshitsuji because of them... And yeah, hopefully I see them at FanExpo since I'm now going? ^.^

Rainbowgasm
07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
O_O Wow, I'm late into this one. My thoughts? The best out of my total experience (3 >.<) in some areas. The panels weren't as "useful" as the ones at my last con, but they were way more fun. Like, I actually SPOKE. Which is pretty good, since I'm usually a total introvert... <.< >.> I have two favorite panels the Vampire Knight ( I swear I'm not biased, it was a good panel, lol. =P) and Canon Vs. Fanon, although I came in late to that one (and someone asked me what was in my jar...).

On Saturday it was okay, I had just gotten my wig and was awkward with it, but Sunday was awesome, since I actually socialized. Anna, my aunt, my brother, and my mom are proud of me for making friends =) (lol, I sound like a socialy inept 3 year-old). And now I've been sucked into Kuroshitsuji because of them... And yeah, hopefully I see them at FanExpo since I'm now going? ^.^

OMG child do you have MSN? I think you gave it to Alois but she forgot to give it to us before she ran off to an internetless place in Michigan XP PM me!
I'm glad you liked the VK panel XP not useful but it was fun! You should cosplay someone from Kuroshitsuji... We got a Ciel, Sebby and Alois... you could be our Claude but... You're shorter then even me (Ciel) so... XP

BsWN
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
OMG child do you have MSN? I think you gave it to Alois but she forgot to give it to us before she ran off to an internetless place in Michigan XP PM me!
I'm glad you liked the VK panel XP not useful but it was fun! You should cosplay someone from Kuroshitsuji... We got a Ciel, Sebby and Alois... you could be our Claude but... You're shorter then even me (Ciel) so... XP

Yes, lol, I have msn, I'll PM it to you. And yes, I should, but I don't know who O_O I was suggested Ciel, but if you're already a Ciel, we'll see who else there is... >.< I could be a REALLY short Claude, lol. CHIBI FORM! >.< I dunno.

N_H_Sakura5
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Well as mentioned I couldn't attend since I had to work both days. But next year I should be attending with my boyfriend, and most likely selling some Fan Art. We'll be cosplaying Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters if all goes as planned.