PDA

View Full Version : Photoshooting at a cemetry

yorune
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Hello guys,

I just want to know what do you think about photoshooting at a cemetery.

I filmed at a cemetery for a school project before (it was Friday the thirteen too OTL). We picked a rather 'old' cemetery to film, the people buried there are dead for at least over 30 years. The oldest one we saw is 100 years old > <. We were pretty careful walking around and were pretty respectful. But we were wearing black clothes, not in costumes. The people walking by didn't really say/do much.
But now I want to actually do a cosplay shoot at the cemetery again... I don't know if I should even do that ;A;

kiratsukai
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Don't worry about offending the dead -- worry about offending the living.

Cemetaries are primarily places for grieving... and it may be extremely upsetting to someone there to visit the recently deceased (or even long-dead) to find people using their loved-one's tomb stone as a photo prop.

Is it insensitive?: Yes, probably.
Is it sacrilidgeous?: Doubt it.
Will it offend anyone?: Not if you don't get caught.
Is it legal?: Depends on if the cemetary is public or private property.

In the event you do choose to cosplay there, I would recommend friends acting as lookouts at both entrances and having them call you via cellphone whenever anyone approaches which should give you plenty of time to pull off your wigs and pull on an overcoat. Most cemetaries, especially older ones, are pretty deserted. You should be okay with lookouts.

Jupi15
07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't worry about offending the dead -- worry about offending the living.

I'm in complete agreement on that.

I don't have any experience shooting cosplays at cemeteries; however, I have done surveys of tombstones in dozens of cemeteries, which involves carrying around a large camera and slowly meandering through the tombstones. That alone can be awkward if someone else is in the cemetery for mourning reasons.

I recommend that you first scout out some possible cemeteries. Obviously people are most likely to visit cemeteries with modern (I'd call anything post-1900 relatively "modern") plots. Although it depends on your location, I'd hazard to guess that there are at least some entirely pre-1900s cemeteries somewhere near you. (for this, you can use google maps - simply type in "cemeteries" while zoomed in to the area of interest.) Not only are the older cemeteries less likely to receive visitors, they often tend to have a more traditional "graveyard" aesthetic: worn tombstones, unkempt grounds, and even particular flora.

winterwish
08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
if you're going to, be very quiet and get in get out.

It's one of the essential skills of a cosplay photographer ;)

Zokushou
08-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Hmm, photoshoot at a cemetery sounds like an excellent idea!

Ends Beginning
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
I've done a photoshoot at a very old Cemetry before. We had no problem with people since it was off in the woods on a back road. There were only a handful of tombstone, but enough for the photoshoot.
After we were done we went through the cemetry picked up the trash that had been left by god knows who and all the large branchs a storm had knocked down. So We left the cemetry in better coniditon then when we got there. Oh and we all did our own little prayer at the front gate as we were leaving. All in all I think it was a great day.
Oh it wsa for a D. Gray-man photoshoot by the way. ^-^

Flora88
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
You could always figure out who the caretaker is and ask for permission. But when you do so, be sure to stress that you love the beautiful sculptures and that you won't be doing anything disrespectful.

yorune
08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys, we were going to do it at night but we don't want to scare people and get arrested lmao
I'll be careful~

@Ends Beginning LOL We did the same! We walked around and picked up leaves and put fallen vases back up~

alpha_helix
08-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Depends on the cemetery. If it's a historic cemetery, you're probably fine, especially if it's something of landmark where tourist and school field trips roam in and out on a regular basis. I don't think dressing up and taking a few pictures is any more disrespectful than herding a flock of 60 snot nosed 5th graders through.

And, yes, my class did go on a cemetery field trip in the 5th grade :P

UsakoLuna
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
The picture on my profile was taken in a cemetery. I walk my dogs there all the time. (it's very old, no one has been buried there for the past 50 years and it's ok to hang out there as long as you clean up after yourself)
I think it's ok to take photos as long as your respectful

XxChibiArtistxX
08-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a very, very old cemetery within walking distance of my house, although I've always been a little wary of taking photos there... Don't get me wrong, no one goes there anymore, and it really has that 'old creepy cemetery' look to it, since the latest grave is from like the 1930s I think. It just creeps me out to be there, you know? Although, it does sound like a great idea to do a shoot in a cemetery :D

paper cosplay
08-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I've had elderly friends tell me stories of how before many towns had many parks alot of people would picnic in cemeteries.

my advice is just don't disturb anyone there to morn.

blueberry-kun
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I myself find photoshoots at cemeteries disrespectful [Even though I understand loving the sculptures and stuff and that they're very beautiful.] But then again I'm also super superstitious.

c: My suggestion for an alternative would be having a photoshoot at a plant nursery/outdoor garden store since they have a lot of similliar items and foliage there.
And you could just make some tomb stones out of some cheap styrofoam or plywood so that way you can use it for your "graveyard" photoshoot and be able to use them for Halloween!

nymph62442
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I say its ok, i took photos for my sister's angel sanctuary cosplay in a cemetary and no one was there. To be sure though she sat in the pasangers seat of the car while i drive around looking for good spots... we would then run out and snap a photo or two.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1893418/

MoonyCouture
04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
We just did a photoshoot at the Historical Cemetery in Atlanta. The pictures came out great. This time we were in our (Kuroshitsuji) Shinigami costumes so we didn't look that outrageous, but we've done a full Harry Potter Cosplay Video shoot there and we had a full cast Repo The Genetic Opera shoot there as well.

http://regulusblack.deviantart.com/gallery/29138128#/d3bu29g

The most important thing to remember with the Historic cemeteries is to avoid them when they're holding a big ceremony or a memorial. They really frown on anyone being there when things are intended to be serious.

Ragtime Mouth
04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
One of my closer friends is a photographer and has been to lots of different cemeteries for shots, he was once told by the authorities that he'll have to get permission to publish any of his photos. He says it depends on what cemetery, but I've told him to photoshop any names that were obviously visible, out of respect.

There is an old cemetery around here I love visiting and taking pictures when I can, but I don't worry about it, mainly because the graves are so old that the trees have grown around the gates.. and dead on top of some graves. The founder of the towns grave is even there, that's only grave I'd keep out of my photos. I don't think anyone has been buried there in over 100 years.

levelsixtyseven
04-05-2011, 08:37 PM
If I were to ever photograph in a cemetery I would put my camera in an angle that would not have any visible names. Or use a back of a grave. That or photoshop the name out.

Out of respect and slightly weird having a dead someone's name in your photos.

Allisande
04-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm interested in genealogy as well as cosplay, so I visit cemeteries fairly frequently with a notebook and sometimes a camera if it is an older one to take down names and dates to reproduce a family tree for an area. The way I see it, the dead don't get too many visitors. Anyone at all is nice. For the genealogy studies, I've never had anyone complain, but for a photoshoot, depending on the costume, I'd probably make sure to have a lookout and an overcoat. Ask for permission from someone higher up if you want, but it's better if you don't have regular mourners coming up to you because you don't know if they'll get upset or not.

That aside: I love the historic cemetery in Atlanta! It's so pretty! That's also most likely a cemetery that they are used to people taking pictures in. I've also been to cemeteries as school trips. I guess my class was a little strange.

cactusmomma
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I will personally avoid a cemetery unless I know it does not have any grieving living relatives. Some of the older places will have reflection and meditation areas, which are nice. You may even find out something new about the place you're at... or you'll come away with a haunting experience that'll leave you questioning things for years.
This location (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/RenegadePocky/inprogress%20costumes/Nami-ThrillerBark4fix.jpg) = :) (http://www.paranormalknowledge.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/whitelady.jpg)

Remain vigilant for those left behind and respectful to those who've passed on.. make sure you say hello to those of the latter too, I'm sure they're a little intrigued as to what you're doing too.

Lithium Flower
04-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I would not suggest crawling around on someones tomb stone.

But if your looking for pretty walkways and the background is appropriate then fine.

Just don't act like a douche.

Seiten Taisei
04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I live in southern Louisiana. We have a rather different sort of burials then most of the other generic cemeteries that will have a crypt or two then plaques and stone to show the dead. We have rows of crypts and closet sized storage for our dead. Some people who have not seen this would wonder what they are if they pass by them till they realize what they are. Most, exceptionally the older ones, have beautiful detail. I would love to do a photo shoot in one of the cemeteries. Though what I have in mind would have to be away from the "newer" generation of crypts and keeps. Well at least for one idea, the other was Lady Sylvanas from WoW

CreativeGuy
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, if you want to have a shoot in a cemetery, don't crawl, climb or sit on headstones. It's tacky and disrespectful. Other than that I'm sure you can get some cool shots. Just be respectful.

rawien8706
06-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Every time I do a shoot in a cemetery (hah, yeah, I do that and have on more than one occasion) I at least tend to NOT have names from the stones in the photo. It's not as identifiable that way. I do that when I just wander around cemeteries and take pictures of the statues and whatnot regardless of cosplaying (yeah, I'm a freak).

Also, I'm pretty sure you WON'T get arrested if you're not vandalizing anything. If someone asks you, explain you're not getting names in anything or whatever and they should be off your back. Could always pretend like you're mourning someone and just hope that when spotted that person doesn't come over and do the same...cause it'd be funny though it would confuse them.

Blahsblah2001
07-14-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd do it in a rather deserted place. Obviously if there's a funeral going on, go home. My other advice would be to do it early in the morning. Mourners will not be around yet, funerals would not have started yet, and you'd still have sunlight. Definitely don't do it at night. Your photos will look bad and washed out from the flash. You can darken them in photoshop later and you'll get a better effect.

My other advice would be not to touch any of the graves or tombstones. Standing in front of a crypt would be one thing. But don't be lying on a grave or any nonsense like that.

The other good idea is to stay in the older sections. They look better and you're much less likely to offend someone. If possible, use the far-back corners of the oldest cemetery in the area.

rawien8706
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
My other advice would be not to touch any of the graves or tombstones. Standing in front of a crypt would be one thing. But don't be lying on a grave or any nonsense like that.

Whoops. Been there, done that.

BlondieSundae
07-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm interested in genealogy as well as cosplay, so I visit cemeteries fairly frequently with a notebook and sometimes a camera if it is an older one to take down names and dates to reproduce a family tree for an area. The way I see it, the dead don't get too many visitors. Anyone at all is nice. For the genealogy studies, I've never had anyone complain, but for a photoshoot, depending on the costume, I'd probably make sure to have a lookout and an overcoat. Ask for permission from someone higher up if you want, but it's better if you don't have regular mourners coming up to you because you don't know if they'll get upset or not.

That aside: I love the historic cemetery in Atlanta! It's so pretty! That's also most likely a cemetery that they are used to people taking pictures in. I've also been to cemeteries as school trips. I guess my class was a little strange.

Is it bad I find this post amusing because Raine is right next to it? I hope not =P

On the topic... stay away from new cemeteries and if you go to old ones/historic ones, try to use the tombstones that look sufficiently weathered so you needn't worry about names. Also avoid being disrespectful, don't climb on anything obv and you should be fine.