View Full Version : "Traditional" Samurai Armor

09-24-2003, 11:39 PM
This will be my greatest undertaking yet--

I'm going to attempt making close to traditional samurai armor for one of my Legend of the Five rings costumes. I have some pics of traditional and authentic armor, but I'm overwhelmed as to where I should start. I plan on using lots of plastic, foam, and straw matting for the 'plates', but beyond that, I'm sorta lost.

Help me! ^.^

Or, just give me any suggestions you can. Thanks!

09-25-2003, 01:33 AM
I think this website will help you immensely. Titled: 'An Online Japanese Armour Construction Manual', I think it will be invaluable to you. I have not used it, just come across the link one day and happened to save it.


Enjoy and good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

09-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
That site is very very helpful, I used most of the patterns for my Mitsurugi armor.

09-25-2003, 02:03 PM
What sort of materials did you use, Daala?

09-25-2003, 02:55 PM
I was intending to make Mulan's armour for a while(still am...but not quite yet) and although she's not japanese, I came across a lot of relevant links(and were sent a lot) while researching stuff...

These three are regarding lamellar armour(the tiny plates):




more japanese armour stuff:


The link that Eleryth posted is also one that I looked at...it is SO helpful!

here's a link to one of my old journal entries regarding the armour that a number of people replied to - thought some of their suggestions might come in useful too.


09-25-2003, 05:20 PM
I used plastic sheets( US. Plastics ) and (craft)fomies as the under armor. I held and renforced some of the holes with grommets. Its best if you use shoe laces for the armor lacing, it ties faster.

I did all the plate patterns out of heavy card stock (express mail folders you get free from the post office) which I could fit into my printer.

Trim work was all fomies and gesso, however I don't suggest this. Use the foam as the guide and place plastic on top, it will turn out nicer in the end. Joints where filled in with hot glue and tacky glue on top so it wouldn't melt.

Paint job was a black base with sliver spray while it was wet so the 2 mixed nicely.

Check out my gallery "work in progress" section so you can see a image of the plastic unpainted armor.

Duck: Sorry I never got back to you on your comment in my gallery.

09-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Awesome, thanks!