PDA

View Full Version : Intensify your workout

distantarray
07-27-2010, 02:04 AM
"Research has also confirmed the benefits of exercising to upbeat music. In a study by Porcai and colleagues, presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, healthy volunteers listened to music of various tempos while they worked out on stationary bicycles. The researchers found that the cyclists' pedaling speed increased as the music tempo increased. Their heart rates and power outputs also varied"

http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/training/cadence.asp

I'm sure a lot of people already do this, but I can vouch that I work a lot harder with good music, it helps me push a few more reps without really thinking about it.

GHprime
07-27-2010, 02:55 AM
yeah i believe that faster music motivates you to move faster. i listen to fast paced techno and pop when i exercise

SamuriSmurfX
07-27-2010, 04:19 AM
And yet my gym persist on playing 80's hair metal...

Kasinator
07-27-2010, 08:00 AM
better than playing beyonce's single ladies at mine. We literally formed a petition on that one. and as a result, we got classic rock. progress?

I suggested to them to try grooveshark and have walkins request their workout song. but they pay for XM radio or something they said.

89th_Alice
07-27-2010, 08:49 AM
The gym I used to go to mostly played remixes of popular songs, so there was no lack in up-beat tempo ^^

of course I still prefered to listen to my own music XD <-- stubborn I suppose :/

Chirudesu
07-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I find this true, I find the fastest, happiest, most sugary techno in my ipod. I like things I can use in tempo for walking.
I also find that inspirational songs help. If they're more average-tempo, the lyrics can either inspire me or knowing the singer has a great body, I tend to work harder when I hear it.