PDA

View Full Version : A simplified guide to nutrition.

Kasinator
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Okay, so I have promised since the making of this board, that I would make a nutrition sticky. To me, diet and exercise go hand and hand if you want the best results in appearance. Proper eating can increase your strength, cleanse your body, fight disease, make you look younger, the list goes on. So why don't I share a few things on eating right?

Rules You Have To Know

The first rule you should know right away is all the diets you read/see on TV movies magazines etc. Are generally a pack of lies tied together in a ribbon. The weight loss industry can make much more money if they keep you fat, and gimmick you in their next weight loss solution. I think there is much more Profit in honesty though.

Starving yourself is not dieting. This is what I hate about with these after school specials that end with the be happy with your body because clearly you've tried everything and lets face it you're going to stay fat message. Let me be clear there is nothing bad about being happy with your body, but usually in these after school specials they always show the person starving themselves in order to loose weight. That's not dieting, its starvation!

Proper Diet 101

When it comes to proper diet, its important to understand how much you eat. Every body type varies in one way or another. To figure that out we are going to use Scooby's calorie calculator (http://bit.ly/9Wqo4g). Scooby is a 50+ Y/O bodybuilder who has been giving free advice for quite some time now helping A LOT of people get their lives on track. The thing I like about this calculator is it covers how much protein, carbs, and veggies you should take.

From there we just need to know what is okay to eat.

Carbs: look for darker carbs such as whole wheat, oats, and whole grains.

Protein: this has the most variety as far as what to eat. All you really have to do here is look out for the fat of the meat and cut it out. Ground beef be particularly careful of making sure to avoid the fat form that. Just look for lean ground beef like 95% lean. Vegetarians get protein too! tofu, soy, whey, the list goes on! seafood is good as long as you skip the butter.

Veggies: again quite the variety! 1 cup of pretty much any veggie is a serving. the exception is salad greens, those are worth two cups. I personally skip out on corn because technically you do not digest it. AND BEFORE ANYONE GOES ON AN ALL CORN DIET TRUST ME THAT DOES NOT END VERY WELL.

Dairy: Again just make sure you get it fat free. check the labels for this one. You want to avoid trans fat. the other fats on the label are healthy fats your body needs. For anyone lactose intolerant; soy milk and other non lactose things are great as well!

Fruit: 1 medium sized fruit, 1 cup of berries or chopped fruit count as a serving. Strawberries sliced you can eat two cups!

Condiments: just try using fat free stuff. light salad dressing and honey are my favorite! you can use peanut butter too but remember its a healthy fat as well. I have a max of three heaping teaspoons of peanut butter.

Healthy fats: I suggest olive oil. Peanut butter is awesome too! just look for natural if you can! fish oil is great too! keep a limmit on it

For more food options take a look at Michi's ladder (http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do). Just ignore the protein carb labels, they will only confuse you. Just classify them as you normally would.

If you are lost on serving portions just use the palm of your hand as a measuring tool. The palm of your hand can be used as an emergency way to measure one serving of pretty much anything.

Further information will be written in my journal (http://www.cosplay.com/user_write.php?do=journallist)! :bigtu:

Kasinator
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Writing space for future information.

T.S. Elliot
08-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Impressive!

DespairedPheonix
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for this, it's really helpful! You really broke it down simply.

Kimi_Bunny
08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Kas I did not see a Chocolate catagory on the list. Small oversite I'm sure. j/k
Good info! I can not emphasize what Kasinator wrote enough. It worked for me!
Now to start my yoga then float in the pool.

sythe2010
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Works for me but I know most of it already. I would recommend adding a little to the fat section. Olive oil is good but I'm sure there's people struggling with what else to eat. How about throwing in some more suggestions like healthy nuts/natural peanut butter?

I disagree with the ground beef. What about if it's lean ground beef? Like 90% lean?

Other than that looks like a good starter guide for people!

distantarray
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
but but but.... i want to try a all corn diet..... I wanna see what happens the next day =)

Kasinator
08-12-2010, 08:03 AM
I updated my journal. Take a look! :)

chinna
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
What about fasting for relgious purposes? Should I still workout? I get up around 5 eat a lot [protein shake, 2 bottles water, and rice, oatmeal, and pretty much what ever i can find thats healthy(no junk)] and then no food/water until 8pm so its a bit late to do a workout then. I can also fast a 'half' a day and break it at 12pm or not at all. I just to make sure I'm not severly setting my self back from my goals.

Kasinator
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
What about fasting for relgious purposes? Should I still workout? I get up around 5 eat a lot [protein shake, 2 bottles water, and rice, oatmeal, and pretty much what ever i can find thats healthy(no junk)] and then no food/water until 8pm so its a bit late to do a workout then. I can also fast a 'half' a day and break it at 12pm or not at all. I just to make sure I'm not severly setting my self back from my goals.

O.O I never considered that to be honest. Given that circumstance I would schedule your exercises so fasting falls on your resting day. and make sure you do eat enough for the day. I suggest looking into casein protein shakes too. use them particularly for fasting days and not exercise post workout shakes. the slow digesting proteins should help keep up metabolism, but not make you as hungry as you normally would be. Above all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!! If you need to go "half day" do so. otherwise you can have problems.

Admittedly I've never ran into a case like this, But I can understand how much priority religion takes. I would seriously consult a nutritionist if you want professional advice on this. I really don't want people to get hurt :eek:

distantarray
08-12-2010, 01:54 PM
O.O I never considered that to be honest. Given that circumstance I would schedule your exercises so fasting falls on your resting day. and make sure you do eat enough for the day. I suggest looking into casein protein shakes too. use them particularly for fasting days and not exercise post workout shakes. the slow digesting proteins should help keep up metabolism, but not make you as hungry as you normally would be. Above all, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!! If you need to go "half day" do so. otherwise you can have problems.

Admittedly I've never ran into a case like this, But I can understand how much priority religion takes. I would seriously consult a nutritionist if you want professional advice on this. I really don't want people to get hurt :eek:

LOL if i had to fast for religious purposes (i dunno if your allowed to drink milk) but I'd mix so much powdered milk into a glass of whole milk to make it thick as a milkshake and chug it down. All the casein protein curdles in your stomach so it'll be like you ate a block of cheese lol

noirstar45
08-12-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm going to take you're doing this for Ramadan? I think there is an NFL player who is doing this. You may google the article. I think what his doctor told him was to try and drink a protein shake at midnight and eat most of his calories before sunrise and after sunset.

I found the article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Ramadan-means-no-water-during-workouts-for-Husai?urn=nfl-261068

Kasinator
08-31-2010, 07:31 AM
got to bump this. nobody knows it exists apparently. :(

Gumdrop
08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Hmm,I found this helpful.

Braithcakes
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
this is nifty, I didn't know I was so healthy already ><

OH

and a tip for anybody who's curious. you CAN go on an all baby corn diet if you want :'D babycorn, isn't actually corn at all <3 and it's taseyyy D8

*has a cabinet shelf dedicated to baby corns*

J.Kazama
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Ah, this is awesome! Thanks a lot for this, really!

Negu
09-24-2010, 08:35 PM
I will try my hardest to lose weight by my next birthday - March 19th! I want to lose at least 20 lbs, I am 212 right now...I am a 20 year old male who is 5'10"...in case anyone actually cared. >.> hehe. Thank you so much with all this info!

Kasinator
09-24-2010, 09:47 PM
remember to exercise too! :bigtu:

BreakerDeeEss
09-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I personally like to stay hydrated so I go through at least 1.5 gallons of water a day. Even if it's water retention; it helps you feel full and it's better than empty calories from soda/other beverages.

Kasinator
09-25-2010, 09:36 PM
got that right :)

Yami/Kaiba
09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Another thing to add to the diet that I found helpful would be almond milk. It has only 60 calories and it's very refreshing.

kittiesXXrawr
10-15-2010, 07:37 PM
ima start doin this now lol. . hopefully i can lose some weight before halloween. . thanks for the help:toothy::jjacks:

someonewhodied
10-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Lol, according to this, I have been losing and controlling weight all the wrong ways....
well...now I have to waste time breaking my current habits and starting new ones. >.>

RaptorAdapter
10-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Fun post! Nice job, buddy!

Kasinator
10-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Lol, according to this, I have been losing and controlling weight all the wrong ways....
well...now I have to waste time breaking my current habits and starting new ones. >.>

how do you think i felt when i discovered these techniques? :p

CheshireKitten
10-26-2010, 03:19 AM
Goodness, your guide helps so much. For the longest time, I was like, "omg wat do i dooooo??!!!!11one!!!!shiftone!!" and I've been following this for about a week now and I feel a lot better about myself.
Thanks so much!

Loplod
10-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Most if it is solid

KamenRiderAgito
10-26-2010, 10:10 PM
So happy to know I can keep eating peanut butter.

Rjr3412
10-27-2010, 07:56 AM
So happy to know I can keep eating peanut butter.

Just keep in mind that peanut butter is a good source of healthy fats. Not a good source of protein. While it does have some, the ratio of carbs and fat to protein make it an awful source, but it can help add in a few extra grams for your macros.

Peanut butter may be good for you, and I surely like it, but you still have to be mindful of calories.

Liminal
10-27-2010, 08:01 AM
This is a neat guide. I like that it covers basic ways to eat healthier without getting lost in a sea of information. Kinda like a crash course. Nice!

KamenRiderAgito
10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Peanut butter may be good for you, and I surely like it, but you still have to be mindful of calories.

I'll keep that in mind!

Uberwekkness
10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm interested to know how big a "serving" would be for things like meats and eggs (I eat eggs on toast every school morning), or various carbs. I mean, they teach kids the food pyramid, and what it means, but they don't really get into serving sizes, so seeing the fruit and veggie servings was cool.

Here's a question. I have a high metabolism. Like, people gain the freshman 15 when they start college, supposedly, but I lost weight and haven't gained it back. I've been at 110 for two years. I don't have the best diet, but I'm slowly figuring out how to make it better because I KNOW I'm going to put on some pounds when I have kids someday, so I want to develop good habits now. Here's my worry of being conscious of what I eat. I don't know if I'd be willing to give up having dessert regularly. I'm not the type who really needs soda all the time, or feels like they need fast food or anything. But I AM the type who loves eating well made, fabulous desserts. Often made by myself. So I guess my question is this. If your diet is otherwise good (maybe or maybe not paired with exercise. I'm pretty lazy) how often can one have a slice of cake or two a week after dinner without totally screwing up all their progress?

Edit: In other words, how miserable am I going to be when I have to actually worry about weight loss?

Kasinator
10-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm interested to know how big a "serving" would be for things like meats and eggs (I eat eggs on toast every school morning), or various carbs. I mean, they teach kids the food pyramid, and what it means, but they don't really get into serving sizes, so seeing the fruit and veggie servings was cool.

Here's a question. I have a high metabolism. Like, people gain the freshman 15 when they start college, supposedly, but I lost weight and haven't gained it back. I've been at 110 for two years. I don't have the best diet, but I'm slowly figuring out how to make it better because I KNOW I'm going to put on some pounds when I have kids someday, so I want to develop good habits now. Here's my worry of being conscious of what I eat. I don't know if I'd be willing to give up having dessert regularly. I'm not the type who really needs soda all the time, or feels like they need fast food or anything. But I AM the type who loves eating well made, fabulous desserts. Often made by myself. So I guess my question is this. If your diet is otherwise good (maybe or maybe not paired with exercise. I'm pretty lazy) how often can one have a slice of cake or two a week after dinner without totally screwing up all their progress?

Edit: In other words, how miserable am I going to be when I have to actually worry about weight loss?

you wont have to be miserable if you keep in shape. its just figuring out your metabolism level. the calculator i had linked helps a lot. nutrition isnt rocket science. just proper proportions

Kasinator
10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
XD lol dont man. but really think about it. i gave you the information without asking for your email. :p

Lucida
10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
The blue underlined parts reminds me of those article I read at Natural News. I suppose not all conspiracy can be dismissed as a nut job.

How To Lose 45 Pounds in 45 Seconds (http://www.alsearsmd.com/leadgen/natnews1010.html)

^ Another good info, maybe. I haven't read it.

I think that's a scam

Kasinator
10-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I think that's a scam

it is. i'm sure he is just being sarcastic. XD

Art1st4786
10-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Something that has helped me tremendously is drinking more water and cutting back heavily on my salt intake. Salt makes your body retain water, which adds on the pounds. Water not only keeps you hydrated, but it helps flush out the unnecessary water weight. Eating apples and other watery fruits helps with this, too. I personally try to eat about two or three apples a day and about three bottles of water.

Something that I read in a bridal magazine once was drink half a bottle of water right before you go to bed, then the other half in the morning.

Also, just cutting soda out of your diet and limiting how much sugar you intake does wonders.

I've lost five pounds doing all of this, on top of all of the exercise I do. While I'm not down to my target weight yet (I'm 15 pounds away), I've lost the inches I need to. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you aren't at the weight you want to be, but you know you have a lot of muscle, don't panic!

minus
10-29-2010, 05:11 PM
way too many flaws in this nutrition guide.

Kasinator
10-29-2010, 07:23 PM
way too many flaws in this nutrition guide.

do tell. I'd like to know what you find wrong.

Uberwekkness
10-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Well this is a message board not a website on working out and nutrition.

Not saying I agree with that guy, but this thread is meant to be stickied and full of solid information and advice. So technically, everyone reading it, and who will read it in the future is probably counting on it being correct. Just sayin.

Kasinator
10-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Im updating later today along with the budget zero workout. Stay tuned! :)

In the meantime, please ask the questions you need answered.

Uberwekkness
11-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm still curious about what counts as a portion for things like meat. I'm assuming a pound of steak and a strip of bacon aren't the same amount. :P

Rjr3412
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Typically the traditional wisdom says that for meat, a portion the size of your fist (length/width not thickness) is a serving.

A more practical side though is just to figure out what a certain amount looks like. Different people, depending on size, calorie intake, and how much protein/carbs/fats they want in their diet will want and need different amounts.

If you really, really need to know specifics, rather than guesstimating, look up the information per ounce on whatever it is you plan to eat, weigh it (thawed, not frozen) and portion to meet your requirements.

The size of what you're going to eat is also going to be heavily dependent on how many meals you eat. If you eat twice a day your portions are likely to be far larger than someone who eats six times a day.

Just stay consistent and make changes accordingly.

tsuoi_kaze
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I like your guide. It's simple, and really kind of common sense stuff if you really think about it. But that makes it so much easier to go with. I try to follow it when I can even though I don't do the shopping, but I make do with what I have for right now.

The only problem I have is counting calories. Example: Scooby's calculator said I should be eating something around 18-1900 calories a day (which seems like far too much to me considering I'm actually quite little despite my weight), and gives examples of where my calories should come from and in what amounts, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to tell in the real world. Say I want to use fish as a protein. How do I know that a single serving of one fish has the same number of calories as the same portion of another? And what about when I cook it with other things? How do I know how many calories were added by herbs or spices I may have used? Basically I have no idea how many calories are in ANYTHING unless it's some prepackaged food with a label spelling it out for me.

Gioka
12-17-2010, 02:59 PM
This is very helpful to eat right but no go starving like many diets suggests ^^
I think is great, thank you

Kasinator
12-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I like your guide. It's simple, and really kind of common sense stuff if you really think about it. But that makes it so much easier to go with. I try to follow it when I can even though I don't do the shopping, but I make do with what I have for right now.

The only problem I have is counting calories. Example: Scooby's calculator said I should be eating something around 18-1900 calories a day (which seems like far too much to me considering I'm actually quite little despite my weight), and gives examples of where my calories should come from and in what amounts, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to tell in the real world. Say I want to use fish as a protein. How do I know that a single serving of one fish has the same number of calories as the same portion of another? And what about when I cook it with other things? How do I know how many calories were added by herbs or spices I may have used? Basically I have no idea how many calories are in ANYTHING unless it's some prepackaged food with a label spelling it out for me.

believe me you need every last one of those calories. I wish I counted mine better when i first started working out. ^_^;;; personally i count by weight of the meat. 100 calories per 3 oz of meat. don't worry about herbs and spices, the calories (if any are so minute its not worth fretting over. just watch out for trans fat and too much sodium.

hollowchrist
01-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Typically the traditional wisdom says that for meat, a portion the size of your fist (length/width not thickness) is a serving.

but my fist is tiny D:

Kasinator
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM
dont worry, it has more volume than you think. :)

Churabu
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
This is a good, simple guide. I recently started getting on a diet plan and I cut my meals into 6-7 meals a day, eating something about 1.5 hours to 2 hours each. So I feel like I'm really spreading out my food intake whereas before I would just eat 3 big meals a day.
But, I have realized (since I probably go to sleep rather late, like 2-3am sometimes) that I get super duper hungry right when I'm about to go to bed or when I'm trying to go to sleep. For the past two nights I've kind of just shrugged it off, but I wonder if this is healthy. Aren't you supposed to eat something when you're hungry? But then I've heard that you're not supposed to eat anything right before you go to bed because your body won't be able to digest it as fast, and it could turn into unneeded fat/etc since you're lying on your back and not moving.
I have pretty slow metabolism I think.
The only problem I have is I have a bit of a sweet tooth and I love chocolate. Lately I haven't had any *processed* sugar (so not including the natural sugar in rice, fruit and veggies) intake, and I've been replacing the sugar I usually add into my morning coffee with organic honey. As long as I'm not tempted, I think I'll be good..
I also read somewhere you're not supposed to eat veggies with a lot of starch (like potatoes) if you're trying to lose weight. :( I love potatoes...

32spartan11
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Something you may want to add to the salad dressing portion is stick to dressings you can see through light ranch isn't all that light. while light Italian for some has only 5 calories a serving and tastes great IMO.

But excellent guide hopefully people look here for advice first.

Rjr3412
01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
This is a good, simple guide. I recently started getting on a diet plan and I cut my meals into 6-7 meals a day, eating something about 1.5 hours to 2 hours each. So I feel like I'm really spreading out my food intake whereas before I would just eat 3 big meals a day.
But, I have realized (since I probably go to sleep rather late, like 2-3am sometimes) that I get super duper hungry right when I'm about to go to bed or when I'm trying to go to sleep. For the past two nights I've kind of just shrugged it off, but I wonder if this is healthy. Aren't you supposed to eat something when you're hungry? But then I've heard that you're not supposed to eat anything right before you go to bed because your body won't be able to digest it as fast, and it could turn into unneeded fat/etc since you're lying on your back and not moving.
The only problem I have is I have a bit of a sweet tooth and I love chocolate. Lately I haven't had any *processed* sugar (so not including the natural sugar in rice, fruit and veggies) intake, and I've been replacing the sugar I usually add into my morning coffee with organic honey. As long as I'm not tempted, I think I'll be good..
I also read somewhere you're not supposed to eat veggies with a lot of starch (like potatoes) if you're trying to lose weight. :( I love potatoes...

Churabu - There's actually no benefit to eating numerous times throughout the day (6-7), over the past fifteen years or so there have been numerous studies disproving it, and if I recall correctly the New York Times recently ran an article saying as much. "Conventional" wisdom dies hard, lots of bs fitness gurus love to tout such information but its a myth.

Now if it helps you psychologically, then maybe its worthwhile, but studies have shown more downsides then benefits to frequent feedings.

Should you choose to ignore this and still want to keep your night time meal small, try some cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Low fat/fat free/plain or flavored whatever fits your macros best. Its got plenty of casein and a good profile. Casein is awesome at night as it takes several times longer to digest then something like whey, which means a stead stream of aminos in your bloodstream for a longer amount of time.

I personally like a shake with some whey, some cottage cheese, natty pb, and a bit of oats (depends on how many carbs left I have for the day).

If you'd like more info or links on some of the studies feel free to PM me and I'll send some great resources your way.

32spartan11
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Churabu - There's actually no benefit to eating numerous times throughout the day (6-7), over the past fifteen years or so there have been numerous studies disproving it, and if I recall correctly the New York Times recently ran an article saying as much. "Conventional" wisdom dies hard, lots of bs fitness gurus love to tout such information but its a myth.

Now if it helps you psychologically, then maybe its worthwhile, but studies have shown more downsides then benefits to frequent feedings.

Should you choose to ignore this and still want to keep your night time meal small, try some cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Low fat/fat free/plain or flavored whatever fits your macros best. Its got plenty of casein and a good profile. Casein is awesome at night as it takes several times longer to digest then something like whey, which means a stead stream of aminos in your bloodstream for a longer amount of time.

I personally like a shake with some whey, some cottage cheese, natty pb, and a bit of oats (depends on how many carbs left I have for the day).

If you'd like more info or links on some of the studies feel free to PM me and I'll send some great resources your way.

Do you have any links? Everything I've ever read would suggest this "myth" is the right way to go. I have yet to see anything ever saying different.

Rjr3412
01-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Sent. Cool, didn't know you were from Philly too.

kittylovesprog
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
In addition to what Kasinator is telling everybody, here is a list of foods that are really really good for you and you should eat, as opposed to foods that you shouldn't eat. I also have some tips for healthy eating that I use below.

fish!!!!!
blueberries
almonds and peanuts
tomatoes
bananas
spinach
mushrooms
broccoli
eggs
green tea (one cup per day and don't drink it at night)

Other food tips that I use...

Here's my trick to eating veggies:
There are a lot of vegetables I do not like. Usually for me it is not a question of taste but of texture. So what I do is chop everything so that it is very tiny. Putting it in a food processor works too. I find that if I mix the veggies I don't like with veggies I do like and chop them small enough it gives my food more flavor and I don't make a "blech" face. A lot of time I'll put my chopped veggie mix into a stir fry or an omelette (no cheese on the omelette of course.

The advantages of salt on things instead of butter
Butter is my weakness, but, before you butter something, try salting it first and then trying it. A lot of times the reason we like butter is due to the salt content in the butter. Of course you never want to overdo the salt because too much sodium can be bad for you. If you like the texture of butter, try olive oil along with the salt and then taste your food. If it absolutely needs butter to taste good, just watch your intake of butter and try not to use too much. Also, if you need to add flavor to a dish, look up some good herbs to mix into your food before resorting to the Paula Dean style stick of butter.

HELP! I MUST HAVE DESSERT!!!!
We are all humans and do have our cravings every now and again. If you simply must have dessert with your food this is what you should do. First try and see if fruit makes a good dessert substitute. If you must indulge however, be very wary of what and how much of what you stick in your mouth. If it's ice cream, have just one scoop. If it is chocolate, have just half of a bar. If it is pie, take the smallest piece that you can. If it is a cookie, just have one. If it is a donut, just have half. Also get used to the idea of having dessert after lunch instead of dinner so your body has more time to process it throughout the day and you're more likely to burn it off. However I would just stop buying these foods to keep from temptation in the first place.

How do I cook without milk????
Use soy milk. Start with it in small amounts in order to get used to the flavor. As you become accustomed to it increase your intake. Milk can be good for you in small amounts, but don't make it a staple. If you want to cut out dairy completely take supplements to get a good dose of calcium.

How do I know I'm eating right?
If you feel bloated, sleepy, or overly full after eating something, it's probably not the healthiest thing in the world. If you feel full of energy and ready to do productive things it's probably good for you. Also keep track of your poop. If you poop once a day it's a sign of a good digestive system. Pay attention to the signs your body gives you. If you feel hungry, drink water before resorting to food. You might find that you are just thirsty. Most people don't drink enough water every day.

You are not superman/woman. Keep things in perspective
Although the cosplay community has a strong emphasis on making a costume perfect, try not to let this pressure get to you as far as body image goes. Characters in video games, anime, and comic books are not always representative of the normal human figure. Also, your favorite actor on TV is filmed at their best angles, with lots of editing done before the final product is released. Not to mention many of them have spent thousands getting professional work done, whether it be surgical, or hiring a personal trainer. Don't work on your health simply for cosplay. Do it for yourself first. You should be doing this for your your health, and a wish to reap the benefits of nutritious food. If you become bent on a certain image of perfection it can lead to unhealthy and obsessive habits. You are unique in the way your body works and processes foods. This is based on your genetic make up, body type, and metabolism. Never be discouraged with who you are as you are when you look in the mirror. I'm hoping to cosplay in a skimpy outfit this summer, however the reasons I try to stay healthy are much more vast than just this. I want to feel well rested and happy so I can be the best student I can be here at school.

NOTE:
I am also not a nutritionist. These tips are ones that I have found that work for me personally. Feel free to add info or call me out on bad info. This is a forum after all.

Midnight Raine
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM

I'll back up RJR's suggestion.

Meal frequency doesn't matter. Eat 3 big meals, 6 small ones, or whatever; it makes no difference. Just do whatever is convenient for you.

Don't worry about eating before sleeping, either. If you prefer to, eat a little less earlier so you can have some food before you go to bed. This isn't going to have any negative effects.

I don't like to go to sleep hungry, either. I'll usually have some ice cream or something sweet.

Kasinator
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll back up RJR's suggestion.
I don't like to go to sleep hungry, either. I'll usually have some ice cream or something sweet.

Just curious, is that your cheat meal? I never cheat, since im such a nutrition guy.

Midnight Raine
01-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Just curious, is that your cheat meal? I never cheat, since im such a nutrition guy.

I don't have cheat meals, actually. They're fine for some people, but they just don't fit into the way I do things.

I just eat what I want to eat, provided that it fits into my calorie and protein goals. For example, let's say that I want consume 1750 calories and get a certain amount of protein so as to drop a certain amount of weight. A 400-calorie bowl of ice cream, a 300-calorie candy bar, or a 500-calorie meal at Burger King is in no way incompatible with that. I do have quite a sweet tooth.

KamenRiderAgito
01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
A 400-calorie bowl of ice cream, a 300-calorie candy bar, or a 500-calorie meal at Burger King is in no way incompatible with that. I do have quite a sweet tooth.

BK totally killed me last Fall. It's the cheapest food on campus, and one of the few places where I can pay with plastic (I never seem to have enough cash on me). I stay away from that place now, but I do get a McDouble and nuggets from McDonald's most Sundays, and I don't feel bad about it one bit. I count my calories and try not to consume more than I planned to.

I also bought the new edition of Eat This, Not That. Has anyone else looked at this book? I think it's pretty informative as a guide to eating out.

HomeDepot
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM

I'm wondering about this statement. When you say you never cheat, do you mean that you never eat anything that is bad for you, or do you mean that you eat healthy all the time so the occasional treat isn't really a cheat? Or were you being sarcastic and I didn't pick up on it. ^_^

Kasinator
01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
cheat meals are the once in a while not so good for you foods people get away with eating. I never have any, save for like one time. :p So I often wonder how many cheats do some people get away with eating in a specific period of time.

Rjr3412
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
lol - http://www.leangains.com/2010/11/cheat-day-strategies-for-hedonist.html

I love this site.

HomeDepot
01-19-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't follow a "diet" so I don't keep track of days when I splurge. I love working out and I love food so I enjoy plenty of both in my life. I know however that I didn't start loosing weight during my running training until the frozen custard place in my town closed for the season ^_^. I probably went there 3 nights a week.

ArtsyFartsy
11-27-2013, 10:22 PM
I've spent the last year and a half studying vegetarianism and veganism from a omnivorous point of view (yes I still eat meat) and I'm coming to the conclusion that all the talk about how important meat and dairy is for your health is a lot of misleading by the meat, dairy, and drug industry. Sure, you can ask me to give you some information sources, but I gotta warn you, it might take me a while to get them to you. I don't exactly save the links of what I learn (and I do try to check the sources to make sure the information comes from an unbiased opinion), so I'd have to go searching for them again. It's just interesting to see that this thread needs to be a lot more detailed, and yet it's pretty generalized and common sense sort of stuff.

Here's an example:
Did you know, that the leading cause of osteoporosis (1 in 5 women, and I don't know the number for men, I think it's something like 1 in 7 or 8 or something) is the consumption of animal products? Here's why. When you consume meat - for example - the meat actually causes higher levels in acidity in your blood. Now, you can ask any doctor, respiratory therapist, surgeon, etc, that if you're blood becomes too acidic, it can have fatal consequences. Your blood must remain alkaline. How how does your body correct this? It uses calcium phosphate to neutralize the acidity, and there is only one place that your body has calcium phosphate, and that's in your bones. So your body literally leaches the calcium out of your bones to fix the problem that meat consumption is creating, and I'm sorry to say, but many people eat way too much meat in their diet. Consuming calcium-rich dairy products doesn't help this situation as it too, causes acidity in the blood (except infants up until they've weened). Your body doesn't even absorb very much of the calcium from dairy anyways, especially if you have a vitamin D, Iron, or Vitamin C deficiency. Let me break it down for you.

You need Vit C to absorb Iron
You need Iron to absorb Vit D
And You need Vit D to absorb calcium.

Eating Vit C-rich foods like citric fruits is good for you, and here's another interesting fact. Citric acid (like what you find in oranges, grapefruits, pineapple, etc etc) actually has an alkalizing effect in the stomach and blood! Go figure.

Yes, protein is important, but meat is not the only way to get the complete protein, nor is it the healthiest. The healthiest way is through whole foods like Quinoa, Soy, Beans and Lentils, etc. And you can get more than enough calcium from green veggies like peas and spinach.

Arti
11-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Here's an example:
Did you know, that the leading cause of osteoporosis (1 in 5 women, and I don't know the number for men, I think it's something like 1 in 7 or 8 or something) is the consumption of animal products? Here's why. When you consume meat - for example - the meat actually causes higher levels in acidity in your blood. Now, you can ask any doctor, respiratory therapist, surgeon, etc, that if you're blood becomes too acidic, it can have fatal consequences. Your blood must remain alkaline. How how does your body correct this? It uses calcium phosphate to neutralize the acidity, and there is only one place that your body has calcium phosphate, and that's in your bones. So your body literally leaches the calcium out of your bones to fix the problem that meat consumption is creating, and I'm sorry to say, but many people eat way too much meat in their diet. Consuming calcium-rich dairy products doesn't help this situation as it too, causes acidity in the blood (except infants up until they've weened). Your body doesn't even absorb very much of the calcium from dairy anyways, especially if you have a vitamin D, Iron, or Vitamin C deficiency. Let me break it down for you.

You need Vit C to absorb Iron
You need Iron to absorb Vit D
And You need Vit D to absorb calcium.

Eating Vit C-rich foods like citric fruits is good for you, and here's another interesting fact. Citric acid (like what you find in oranges, grapefruits, pineapple, etc etc) actually has an alkalizing effect in the stomach and blood! Go figure.

Yes, protein is important, but meat is not the only way to get the complete protein, nor is it the healthiest. The healthiest way is through whole foods like Quinoa, Soy, Beans and Lentils, etc. And you can get more than enough calcium from green veggies like peas and spinach.

(1) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111109093850.htm (refers to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22049177) and
(2) http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/3/391.long (refers to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21248199)

So for the first article, there was no indication of bone loss on a high-protein diet evenso almost no correalation, mainly due to the fact that the majority of the protein sources were dairy based, which contained high amounts of calcium and Vitamin D found in the dairy, which were known to promote bone health.

The second article is the more relevant one, where meat protein was compared via acid load. The result: No change. Yes the increased acid load will cause more urinal secretion of Calcium, but it does NOT mean that it's coming from bone mass. This was due to the extra protein allowing the body to absorb more calcium. As a result to counteract the renal acid load, the calcium comes from the excess dietary calcium it absorbed, and not from bone mass itself. More than that, the article also concludes that Urinary tract alone can't factor the total amount of Calcium lost, as calcium can be disposed of through fecal matter as well.

Yea, you might need a few more trips to the washroom, and some more water to replace those lost fluids, but it's well worth the steak.

And even if you did not eat animal products for your protein, you are still going to secrete calcium, whether if it comes from your diet or from your bones. The more important thing to know is that you need Calcium and Vitamin D daily to maintain bone health, and high amounts of protein to be able to absorb the calcium.

ty520
12-06-2013, 10:36 PM
The problem with this guide is that it leaves the composition of the diet (calories & macro nutrient ratios) open ended.

I also recommend weighing food, rather than using measurements like cups - you can be as much as 30% off.

Sure, peanut butter has 'good' fat, but fat is still fat: 9 cals per gram...and PB contains a butt-load of it, which equates to a lot of calories. to put in context: 5 tablespoons of PB contains all the fat you should consume in a day.

Asmith89
12-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Always eat veg food. It is nutritious and good for health.