PDA

View Full Version : Making a giant zipper (non functioning) for Taokaka, what material would be best?

TheVampireNeko
08-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking about cosplaying Taokaka from BlazBlue.

In case you don't know who she is: http://www.google.com/images?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=taokaka&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=570

I really want to do an accurate version of her, so the Organization XIII 30 gauge zippers won't work (although, they're a great backup plan for me). And I really don't like the way it looks when the zipper is made of fabric.

I was thinking I'd use some sort of lightweight hard material and attach it to the dress. I'd have magnets in/on each of the teeth to keep the illusion of it being zipped (while I'd have a real zipper underneath so that everything stays in place).

But I'm not sure what sort of hard material would be best. I've heard that wonderflex isn't good if it's too thin, and a zipper is pretty thin. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another issue is how I would be attaching it to the dress. Would glue be sufficient?

PS: I live in Japan, so it'd be awesome if whatever you suggest could be shipped internationally. But maybe that's asking too much... ^_^;;;

Thanks in advance!

char99char
08-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I would fake it with felt - sew a strip of yellow down the center and stitch on the lines to indicate the zipper teeth. Wonderflex might also work - same principle - make it one piece down the center and draw the teeth on it.

heaven_firings
08-02-2010, 12:48 AM
I second the felt or even a really durable fabric of the right color. I made a large zipper with white denim and drew on the teeth with a fabric maker came out pretty good to me. (sorry I haven't posted pics here but the link in my sig has some good shots -Krory-)

Endrea
08-02-2010, 01:44 AM
friend did it with velcro and some craft foam for the zipper pull

TheVampireNeko
08-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Hm...I might look into wonderflex, but I REALLY want to stay away from fabric. I want more of a plasticly feel if possible.

R1KKu
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd think a long piece of Wonderflex would restrict movement and/or make the costume move akwardly because the material is stiff. Felt or craft foam is the better option. I've seen people make the zipper outta those 2 materials as well as one of the huge zippers; I did mine outta fabric to stay accurate on the shape and size.

TheVampireNeko
08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
What about individual triangles of Lexan? I'm thinking I could do that, and just paint them yellow. But how would I connect that to the dress? It shouldn't have the movement problem if it's individual pieces right?

R1KKu
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
That would add extra weight though, and depending on what fabric you use, could stretch it out some, but Im sure you could do it; just drill holes in the lexan so you can attach the pieces.

TheVampireNeko
08-04-2010, 07:32 AM
I suppose it would add extra weight... But I honestly can't think of any other way to make it look more like a real zipper.

What about cutting small triangles of wonderflex and attaching them? Then using friendly plastic to coat them? That should be lighter, and should fix the problem of it being too stiff, since it'd be in smaller bits? But how could I connect the wonderflex to the fabric?

Sorry for all of the questions. I know nothing about prop making.

I'm planning on doing fleece. My event is going to be in the dead of winter, so I want to be warm. Plus, I think it fits Tao's character.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far. It's very useful to me. <3

EDIT: Or what about craftfoam to give it the right thickness, glued to Styrene? Would that work?

PhDPepper
09-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Craft foam covered with some vinyl may be able to make a plastic looking zipper while still remaining semi flexible. My raiden outfit is vinyl covered craft foam and i think it gives a hard material look to it.