PDA

View Full Version : What length wig to make Usagi's hair..?

newmyu
09-26-2003, 12:44 AM
I'm going more for a half-length or less on the 'tails' that hang from the odango, I'm thinking that falls would work there, but my biggest problem is figuring out what length to use to make the odango. I REALLY don't like the way the foam ball method looks, I'd prefer something more like the myu-bun version, or doing the tying of the knots into the wig. I think I could do it fairly easily, but I'm mostly worried about length.

Has anyone else done a Usagi wig some other way than attaching foam balls, and if so, how did you go about doing it?

I'm really afraid of ordering a long wig, and then not being able to deal with putting up all the hair into pigtails. o.o;; I have trouble getting my OWN hair into even pigtails!! *!!*

Michela
09-26-2003, 11:47 PM
Quite honestly, I much of the experience I have with SM wigs is the idle experimentation I do to my long wigs as well as my own hair in my spare time, but I'll do my best to help you...
The foam ball method is *definitely* optional... however, that allows the wig to look much rounder, fuller and less obstructed than knotting. If you have found a method based on the Seramyu style, by all means, use it! As long as you have an appropriate reference, it will definitely be accurate.

As for styling, I recommend that you have a wig head and sewing/quilting pins in order to pin the wig to the stand, as those are wonderful tools to style and cut wigs.

As for buns, this isn't the best method, but you could separate it into parts, (bangs, odango, and tails) then tie each of them (the odango on the upper sections and the tails on the lower sections.) Wrap the first odango section, place a finger, pencil, or other thin object on the point on the wig you wish the center of the bun to be, then wrap around. Once you're satisfied, tie it and repeat. When you finish, take the lower sections, wrap them around the odango once, then tie again.
I reiterate: this isn't the most prestigous method, but if you want something simple, it's useful.

Always, the best thing you can do is to purchase the wig and experiment for yourself... don't worry, I doubt you will ruin the wig after a small amount of styling. (I have styled practically every wig I have ever owned, and they're all in great condition.) For length, I would recommend anything from a lower waist length to calf length wig (too short would make the wig look unrealistic, while too long of a wig may be trampled at a con.)
You will gain much more skill if you style it for yourself... all you really have to do is use your common sense. ^_^

Fénicia
09-27-2003, 05:25 PM
This in't Sailor Moon, but sha has the same hairdo:Meiling (http://web.wanadoo.be/fenicia/Meiling%2005.jpg)
It may help you with those buns.

Michela
09-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Fénicia: Tehehehe, that was basically my tutorial, but illustrated! Thanks for the visual aid. ^_^ I love Meilin's hair...