PDA

View Full Version : How much would something like this cost to get made?

Cosponder1
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM

I have fallen in love with this costume, but know I don't have the skills to come close to doing it. Could anyone give me a price quote on how much this would cost me to get made?

Berzerker_prime
08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Honestly, the skills involved in this costume aren't that difficult. Rather than investing the money to outright buy it, I would invest the time to learn the skills needed to make it. There are a ton of tutorials and resources out there and these boards are a fantastic place to come for advice if you get stuck. Plus, if you make it yourself, you'll be able to compete with it no matter what the contest's policies on commissioned costumes are and you'll have the satisfaction of being able to tell people that you made it and how. There's no feeling in the world like looking good and knowing that you did all the work yourself to do it.

Part of this hobby is about pushing yourself a little to learn new things and try techniques you've never done before. It's how masters are made, really.

Shallon
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree with Berzerker. It can be scary to try to do something on your own but in the end its a lot of fun. Plus once you try do it once it goes by easier.

Your photo has the "dream-angels" logo on it and that is a cosplay store. You can go to their website and ask for that costume to be commissioned if you don't want to make it yourself.

Cosponder1
08-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I agree with Berzerker. It can be scary to try to do something on your own but in the end its a lot of fun. Plus once you try do it once it goes by easier.

Your photo has the "dream-angels" logo on it and that is a cosplay store. You can go to their website and ask for that costume to be commissioned if you don't want to make it yourself.

normally I would, but I looked around and it doesnt seem that they are offering it anymore as an option. Ill check around.

Well, anyways,that costume looks like it would cost me about $100 worth of fabric (which isnt the problem). The only problem would be sewing (Im used to doing basic Cut and sew stuff like making bags) or finding a VERY EASY pattern (As Ive barely sewn any garments other than pajama tops and shorts and others like that), or I would have to improvise.

The shoulders look like fiberglass, which takes a high amount of skill. And I do not know what I would do to make the gold Trim on the whole area of the costume. Other than that, there are no other problems and I can make it without fear :). I just need help knowing what that gold is and what I would need to buy, as well as a pattern or something that makes making your own patterns (or improv) easier.

Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated! :))

Shallon
08-05-2010, 01:23 AM
You can email them and ask how much for it to be made.

I don't think it would cost that much in fabric but then again I don't know which fabric you want to use. The gold trim I would say since you are new-ish to sewing use bias tape. Its easy to use. The shoulder I agree with do seem like fiber glass but you can get something called wonderflex (its not see-thru like I think the shoulder pads are in the pic) but its easy to bend and use. You can also paint it and its light weight. For the gold details on the bra and shoulder pads you can use wonder flex, sculpey clay or flex foam. What ever you are most comfortable with.