PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Newbie; Need Advice

Rather Dashing
08-03-2010, 12:11 AM
So I've just recently gotten into cosplay, and am wondering what kind of advice or recommendations you might have for a newcomer!

My ultimate goal is to get a costume of Pip Bernadotte ready for Fanime next year.

Thanks!

~Haku~
08-03-2010, 12:24 AM
When you are cutting fabrics, always allot for a little extra beyond your measurements so that you have something to sew and actually fit.
That is an easy thing to forget to do.

Llay
08-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Learn sewing terminology so that the directions of patterns aren't too confusing.
Dont forget to back stitch. Watch your fingers
AND take it from me DONT PUT PINS IN YOUR MOUTH!
I swallowed one this past Halloween trying to finish up my costume for the night.

char99char
08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I would recommend investing in a basic guide to sewing from Singer or Reader's Digest. This book is the best!

http://product.half.ebay.com/Readers-Digest-Complete-Guide-to-Sewing_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1224866

Looking at the character - maybe start with some purchased pieces - dye them to the right colors, add the trim at the cuffs, the pocket on the pants, the embellishments, etc. It may be less daunting than a whole outfit. Pants and a blazer are no small feat!

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Good luck.

Garen
08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Pip isn't such a hard cosplay, luckily. You can probably find most of his clothes by going to thriftstores and army surplus places. The patches and pins on the jacket are different in every panel/shot, so just find a whole bunch and arrange them to your liking. If you're using a wig, get it braided as soon as you can so it doesn't tangle.

I made my scarf. They're pretty easy to make.

Alucardalina
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't expect anything to look spectacular, just work towards making it look so. =3
I don't know how many times I haven't made something work out just the way I wanted it to. Other times I have expected things to turn out terribly and they work out wonderfully.
Also, don't handsew your cosplays. Definately use a machine, because it will probably turn out quite terrible.