PDA

View Full Version : BlizzCon 2010 Extravaganza~

Ayabi
08-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Everyone must have heard about this by now :3

This year's BlizzCon will be held October 22-23 at the Anaheim Convention Center, California, USA:

BlizzCon is a celebration of the Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo franchises and the communities that surround them. This two-day event will contain Q&A panels featuring Blizzard Entertainment developers, social events for players and developers to meet one another, hands-on gameplay featuring your favorite Blizzard Entertainment games, casual and competitive tournaments, and more. (Blizzcon.com (http://www.blizzcon.com))

Ticketing
Tickets were $150 this year, and are (unsurprisingly) SOLD OUT! You may still be able to grab tickets from people who have already purchased them on other forums. If you happen to have spares because your friends can no longer attend, go ahead and post here so that someone may contact you if they are interested in purchasing the ticket (please do not arrange transactions here -- take it to PMs, thanks!).

From Blizzcon FAQs:
WHAT IF I ENTER A FRIEND’S NAME AS ONE OF MY ATTENDEES AND HE OR SHE HAS TO CANCEL AFTER JUNE 20? WILL I BE ABLE TO MAKE NAME CHANGES ON SITE?

We highly recommend that you try to be as accurate as possible with the names you submit for your guest badges – if there is any uncertainty about an attendee, we recommend using your own name instead of the uncertain attendee. However, if an emergency occurs and a guest is no longer able to attend the show, you and/or the replacement guest will need to bring the original attendee’s bar-code email, valid photo ID, and the credit card (or copy of the credit card) used to make the purchase to the Solutions Desk for assistance.

Costumes
There are several rules in place this year regarding costume admittance to the convention center. Please read the full FAQ available on the BlizzCon site as these rules may change. Note that costumes may not be stored on-site for any reason, carried into the convention hall in large bags, and no costumes may contain liquid or gels of any kind. Previously, costumes were required to remain smaller than 10' in every dimension (height, width, depth). This year, they have limited that to 8' and ask that you contact them if your costume exceeds that so they may work to accommodate you. No sharp or crushing functional weapons, including strung bows, are permitted; only air-filled or soft plastic or wooden props are allowed.

~*~

Otherwise, this thread is for general cosplay and event discussion, planning, and possibly post-con lulz about how many Lana'thels could not fit through doorways (watch those wings, ladies! and gentlemen...I won't judge).

If you are working on a costume for BlizzCon and want to show off your work, feel free to post those progress pics in here instead of in the general progress thread!

Ayabi
08-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Costume contest information
Second confirmations are being sent out as of 10.18.10
Contest scheduled to start Friday at 6:00pm. Backstage check-in time 4:30pm.

- You will need to sign in at our "Guest Services" counter between the hours of 12:00 PM and 3:00 PM, Friday October 22, located outside of the event halls, in the center of the lobby, between halls B and C
- THERE IS ALREADY A WAITING LIST. IF YOU DO NOT SIGN IN BY 3:00 PM, YOUR SPOT WILL BE GIVEN AWAY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE
- Upon checking in you’ll receive a contest pass that will allow you through security into our contestant holding area backstage at the main stage in Hall D and will contain your name and costume announcement information. It’s important you hold on to the card.
- Once you have signed in, all contestants will need to make their way, in full costume, to the backstage area of Hall D at 4:30. The entrance will be located north of the Orc & Wolf Statue shown in your BlizzCon map. Showing up late may jeopardize your opportunity to participate.
- BlizzCon staff members will be onsite near the backstage entrance to provide you with further instructions.

Gatherings
(If you have an event to which everyone is welcome, please reply in this thread with info or send it to me in a PM! I don't want to accidentally make private-ish parties get flooded by randoms, so I won't advertise your event unless given permission to do so! Thanks!)

Thursday
7-11pm - WoW Insider Reader Meetup (http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/12/wow-insiders-blizzcon-reader-meetup-update/) - UPDATED
@ Annabella Hotel (http://www.anabellahotel.com/) poolside patio

Friday
9pm - Twisted Nether Blogcast Meetup (http://www.twistednether.net/blizzcon/)
@ Bubba Gump Shrimp (http://www.bubbagump.com/locations/anaheim/)

Saturday
8pm - Unofficial BlizzCon After Party (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109342049083646)
@ Hilton Anaheim (http://www.hiltonanaheimhotel.com/), 5th floor (pool deck)

Shaylyn
08-22-2010, 04:11 PM
My husband just told me he won't go to Blizzcon with me! Hopefully I can convince a non-gaming friend to go, but if not I can make friends there!

Anyone else that is/might be going alone?

LalaFTL
08-22-2010, 05:02 PM
What the hell kind of husband is that?

Syrinx
08-22-2010, 10:26 PM
wtf o.0 i'm sorry, that's terrible!

ZerinaX
08-22-2010, 10:39 PM
My husband just told me he won't go to Blizzcon with me! Hopefully I can convince a non-gaming friend to go, but if not I can make friends there!

Mine isn't either, but he doesn't play any Blizzard games so he'd be bored to tears and can't justify the extreme ticket cost. I'm going with a friend and know a ton of guildmates who are also going, so that helps. I'm sure you'll make and meet a ton of friends there!

Idmaif
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
ya, no one I talk to ever says they want to go, some friends are like "I don't know what's going on with school at the time so I don't know if I can go" so I'm hoping one of them can because I have 2 tickets. but if not, I'll bring my dad who only plays a little Starcraft, so I don't feel like it would be a party if my parent took me :P

Tonksie
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm not going alone, but all my friends ditch me when I'm in costume, so I'd love to hang out with other cosplayers!

Plus, I just <3 you Shay :)

AnimeGamer
08-23-2010, 07:08 PM
You guys have some weird friends.

I have friends who if they didn't have tickets, would be falling over and begging for your tickets right now. Heck, my friends want to get up there on Thursday for the early pickup (something my group nor myself have never done) and hit up the Pirate Cove or Medieval Times that night.

For my group of friends - this is THE EVENT of the year to attend. So when I hear husbands who do not want to go to BlizzCon - I wonder about why you would marry such a person. :P If I had a wife who was dragging me to BlizzCon, I wouldn't mind all too much. :P

Merodi
08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I can understand perfectly. Just because you don't share one hobby doesn't mean you don't share others. If my b/f asked me to go to a gun show or something I'd probably decline because I could really not care less and it would be a waste of money. He loves guns but he also loves gaming. I like anime and manga too, but he isn't too into that so an anime convention he wouldn't be into.

All the slightly rude commentary towards chick's husband is a little uncalled for IMO, because no one knows really why he isn't going.

LalaFTL
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Lol, every marriage is different. I guess I have my husband by the balls.

Sorry if it sounded rude.

AnimeGamer
08-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I can understand perfectly. Just because you don't share one hobby doesn't mean you don't share others. If my b/f asked me to go to a gun show or something I'd probably decline because I could really not care less and it would be a waste of money. He loves guns but he also loves gaming. I like anime and manga too, but he isn't too into that so an anime convention he wouldn't be into.

All the slightly rude commentary towards chick's husband is a little uncalled for IMO, because no one knows really why he isn't going.

Well, I guess if you can make it work, then none of us have a say. It's just... weird?

It's like a guy saying that he doesn't like sports. There could be all sorts of reasoning into why he wouldn't want to go to a convention his wife wants to attend - though if I were him, I'd would go regardless to make it more a bonding-type thing, but his choice (and maybe his money), so whatever.

Just wish whoever has tickets and needs people to go with - maybe try to get a hold of some of the people that were floating around the forum trying to get tickets? I know there was someone who was going who doesn't have a ticket, but is going anyway to cosplay, but has been trying to get one. Just can't remember who...

Syrinx
08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
i guess i was just surprised is all :) i go to things for my bf all the time, if he asks me to go whether i'm into it or not, and vice versa. but yes, blizzcon is expensive so i can see declining on that. but as everyone has said, there will be plenty of people around to talk to, that's for sure!

Ayabi
08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Mine isn't either, but he doesn't play any Blizzard games so he'd be bored to tears and can't justify the extreme ticket cost.

We can share Mike :)

I've either met or gotten to know some of my best friends at BlizzCon, so please don't be discouraged if you don't know many people who will be in attendance or have few friends going with you. Things always work out :) You will only add to your friends at this con :D

Tonksie
08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
We can share Mike :)

I've either met or gotten to know some of my best friends at BlizzCon, so please don't be discouraged if you don't know many people who will be in attendance or have few friends going with you. Things always work out :) You will only add to your friends at this con :D

QFT

I met my fiance at Blizzcon 3 years ago via a mutual friend :)

Shaylyn
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
My husband doesn't want to go because he'd have to take unpaid time off work and we have responsibilities (a son) to pay for :P Anyway, we met on WoW 4 1/2 years ago and we've been to 3 Blizzcons together! We've shared plenty in that department :)

My friend decided to go and I'm making her a costume WOOO!!! We're making her Death Knight starting green armor (the Acherus Knight's armor), so everything's worked out. I can't wait to hang out with all of you, my husband is a little shy but my friend is not so I'll probably get to meet more people this time around :D

Nozze
08-30-2010, 03:00 PM
My husband doesn't want to go because he'd have to take unpaid time off work and we have responsibilities (a son) to pay for :P Anyway, we met on WoW 4 1/2 years ago and we've been to 3 Blizzcons together! We've shared plenty in that department :)

My friend decided to go and I'm making her a costume WOOO!!! We're making her Death Knight starting green armor (the Acherus Knight's armor), so everything's worked out. I can't wait to hang out with all of you, my husband is a little shy but my friend is not so I'll probably get to meet more people this time around :D

And this is why people shouldn't assume. :P Glad you found someone to come with you!! A fellow cosplayer at that ^_^

DEATHlikescats
09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Any update on the costume contest? my roommate is entering and needs to know asap!

Ayabi
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Any update on the costume contest? my roommate is entering and needs to know asap!

The second post in this thread will be updated with contest details as they are announced. I suggest staying tuned to www.blizzcon.com, or follow Warcraft/Diablo/Starcraft on Twitter if you would like an instant announcement of open costume contest registration. I will be quick about updating this thread, but I will be unable to post immediately if I am, say, in class :)

I am certain that others in this forum will let everyone know when registration is open, however. Fear not.

AnimeGamer
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't think that the contest will fill up in one day.

I mean, they walked 100+ costumes through the stage for the past few years. I'm sure you all can get in.

@Shaylyn - glad to know your husband is sane. :P j/k Glad things worked out.

Edalyne
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I might end up going to blizzcon alone....My bf just got a new job as a security guard and is on 90 days of probation... We're not really sure if he's going to be able to request days off in this period... Maybe he'll be able to or maybe things will just work out and he'll get the days off (Or at least just one, going one day is better than none). I'm super happy he got a job, but it bums me out knowing he might not be able to make it to blizzcon. We really won't be able to know whats up with blizzcon for him until we get closer to the date.

AnimeGamer
09-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Costume Contest signup is now up:
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/blizzcon10-costume/index.html

Prizes (for right now) are:
* First Place:
$3,000, and the opportunity to be featured in an article on BlizzCon.com
* Second Place:
$2,000, and the opportunity to be featured in an article on BlizzCon.com
* Third Place:
$1,000, and the opportunity to be featured in an article on BlizzCon.com

I highly doubt that these will be the only prizes. I'd expect a few sponsors will jump in with some prizes too.

catfetus
09-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a minor problem that I could use advice on (maybe if someone has thought of something that I haven't):

I'm doing Twin Val'kyr for Blizzcon this year and am super excited about it. However, the friend I am doing it with is super anxious and socially awkward. I really want to enter the costume contest because I've put a lot of work in to these costumes and I think it's going to look really cool. She says she will try to do it but I am worried about if she will be able to go up on stage.
I would hate to have something embarrassing happen on stage or it would also suck to have "Twin Val'kyr" announced and it just be one Val'kyr :(

I figure it will come down to wearing the costume around that afternoon and her seeing if she is comfortable in it or not. I'm hoping that once she sees how popular it will be she will feel better about it.
(She has never cosplayed before and is somehow convinced that if it isn't super accurate then it's just going to look horrible, but I think I have broken her of that habit a bit)

I've told her about how last year I was really nervous but when I was up on stage it actually wasn't that bad (you can hardly hear anything and you can only see a few rows in front). I also plan to get her a little boozed up beforehand to make it a bit easier for her.
What are some other things I can do to help relieve her anxiety both before and during the con?

On a slightly different note, I wish they would have more costume awards than just the top 3.

Pocket X
09-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Well here's hoping they get those costume emails out at the start of October. I'm sure a lot of us are just plain nervous about whether we'll get on stage or not. Seems to be a lot of great costumes showing up this year for certain. To each much luck! Once the emails come out I'll be posting fountain photoshoot info on here and Blizzcon forums.

essex1984
09-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Unless you got a bit of an ego, cosplay can be very un-nerving. Last year was my first time in a costume other then at Halloween.
As soon as the first guy yelled" Awesome costume, can I take a picture with you?" I was hooked. If your friend has the gusto to walk out in public in it, them the attention you guys will receive will take care of the rest

Another good option is to hang with other cosplayers. There is a lot of safety in numbers even if your just 4 people, you still feel like your fitting in better then walking solo.

Which Hotel are you staying in? I'm sure there are other Cosplayers you can meet up with to talk and walk about the con with. Heck even meeting some other Cosplayers that Thursday can make a difference.

Nozze
09-20-2010, 04:32 AM
@Catfetus - I suffer from some pretty severe anxiety most of the time, so I can empathize with your friend. As Essex said, I suggest having her get introduced to other cosplayers. Most of us are nice, and having a friendly bond with a few will help her realize it's just for fun and ease some of the stress.

That has to be the focus - it's for fun. Everyone (well, most I guess) dresses up for fun and everyone's at Blizzcon just to enjoy themselves. People LOVE the cosplay at the convention and enjoy the contest; there really isn't anything to be stressed about. =) If that's not working, maybe show her some pretty hysterical cosplay photos, like Man-Faye :P, to give her a sense of it could always be worse.

Is it just you two in your group? If so, it might be worthwhile to find more people to walk around with, especially other cosplayers (again like Essex said!) This should help her feel that all of the attention isn't on her and reduce her anxiety levels.

As far as the awards go, I agree with you. Perhaps different categories for different levels of experience, group entries, etc. They cut themselves short enough on time as it is, I suppose.

catfetus
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
We're going to be at the Marriott, I made sure to get a close one because of this year's costume :D

I'm not sure what our plans are for the day since they haven't announced the costume contest details (and then the photoshoot planning after that). Someone on the Blizzcon forums mentioned that the fountain doesn't exist anymore because of remodeling?
She wasn't wanting to put it on until as late as possible due to comfort issues (I'm not sure if we'll be able to sit down), but I will try to convince her to meet up with more cosplayers before the shoot. If any of you guys want to PM me I would love to do phone number exchange for this and meeting up either in or out of costume <3

I plan to wear mine as long as possible, probably just removing the wings to sit down, but hopefully seeing that too will help her feel more comfortable. It was after I wore a costume last year that she mentioned wanting to wear one with me this year.

I'd love to see themed awards. Like ones for best makeup effects, most creative, crowd favorite, etc.
Are they doing any contests on stage this year other than the dance and costumes? I really liked how they showed the winning videos last year between contests rather than the year before where they did a horrible awards show style video clip showing.

Vash_Fanatic
09-21-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm super excited to go. O.O I have admired WoW cosplayers for a while and I hope to meet some of my heroes! After all these years, I'm finally going to have a WoW cosplay of my own! xDD

Hope to meet you guys! And Twins...I must have a picture with you guys! xD One of my favorite fights.

°Kamui°
09-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Oh god, the closer Blizzcon comes, the more I want to be there! I guess, I will cry when I will see all you guys in your amzing costumes in the life stream. And I'm really excited about the costume contest winner. The costumes last year were already amazing, but I'm sure this year you will show something much more amazing! Oh, I hope so see a lot of druid cosplays! ^^

catfetus
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh god, the closer Blizzcon comes, the more I want to be there! I guess, I will cry when I will saw all you guys in your amzing costumes in the life stream. And I'm really excited about the costume contest winner. The costumes last year were already amazing, but I'm sure this year you will show something much more amazing! Oh, I hope so see a lot of druid cosplays! ^^
I'm really excited to see you again this year! :D I took a picture with you last year (I feel so bad about accidentally bumping my claws in to your shoulders), and now that I've gotten a ton more in to cosplay over the last year you are one of my cosplay heroes <3
What are you wearing this year? I'm still debating if I want to bring my bear costume or not (I want to but I might not have space).

@Vash: We'll definitely take a picture then :P We'll be at the photoshoot for sure.

°Kamui°
09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Oh, no no. You misunderstood me. I will be not there, I will just buy the live stream to see you guys live in Germany. Sadly. I wish, I had the money to flight for this weekend to LA, but it's just too expensive.
Oh, and believe me! Blizzcon is it worth to pay for too many suit cases! I guess, I would try to bring two costumes if I would get the chance. ^^
But my actual most current costume is my Druid Tier 8 set.
And don't feel bad! My shoulders are still fine and lay in my closet. ^^

Fiendle
09-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I've already mentioned this in the general forum, but I will also be going to Blizzcon solo. My boyfriend and I have attended together for the last two years, and were planning to go again this year. But due to a job he just got, he had to cancel his attendance. v.v

I'll be dressed as Lady Deathwhisper. I'm a bit shy, but if anyone sees me and wants to hang out together, I'm more than happy to make friends. :) Also, seeing as I won't have a photographer, I would love to be with someone who does so that I can have some evidence of my time there. :3

Has there been a planned fountain photo shoot or anything for this year? I know it's been held in the past, so I want to make sure I don't miss any big events!

AnimeGamer
09-30-2010, 03:13 AM
I'll be dressed as Lady Deathwhisper. I'm a bit shy, but if anyone sees me and wants to hang out together, I'm more than happy to make friends. :) Also, seeing as I won't have a photographer, I would love to be with someone who does so that I can have some evidence of my time there. :3

Has there been a planned fountain photo shoot or anything for this year? I know it's been held in the past, so I want to make sure I don't miss any big events!

More likely you'll run into me eventually. BlizzCon is actually fairly small - at least compared to when I have to roam three floors of 3 football fields put together that is better known as the San Diego Comic-Con.

In terms of a group photo shoot at the fountain, I have heard nothing as of yet.

Pocket X
09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
In terms of a group photo shoot at the fountain, I have heard nothing as of yet.

I need to talk with a louder voice, lol. The fountain photo shoot will take place Friday before the contest. The time is uncertain right now because they have yet to release the email about what time the contestants need to be back stage.

Since I am in costume this year, I need someone to take over the directing of it this year.

Ayabi
09-30-2010, 06:11 PM
(moar copypasta-spamming gogogogo)

I have updated this thread's schedule (my second post) with official large gatherings. I will add to it as more plans are finalized, such as the time and location of the cosplay gathering on Friday. If anyone wants to contribute an event, feel free to post it in that thread or send it to me in a PM so I can advertise it :)

Also check that post for additional information about the costume contest (this should be news to everyone).

Syrinx
10-04-2010, 08:12 PM
just a quick question... does blizzard email us something we take to the convention to prove we have tickets?? if so, when do they usually send them out? thanks!

Nozze
10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes. They will send a separate e-mail for each ticket you have and a barcode will be in each e-mail that you'll need to take with you to pick up your badge and goodie bag. They should be sending them out within the week, I believe.

SeraMuun
10-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone still needed a blizzcon ticket? My flake of a friend just bailed on me, so I'm stuck holding a expensive ticket with no one to use it.

Ayabi
10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I updated the WoW Insider Meetup link to the one containing detailed information about the prizes they are handing out and guests who will be appearing :3 I just hope no one goes all Bloodsail Admiral on Booty bay.

Idmaif
10-15-2010, 02:08 PM
i want everyone who was in the costume contest last year to think of this...

do you remember the whole event of going backstage? do you remember the feeling of sitting in line to get judged and then get in line to go onstage? do you remember standing at the bottom of the ramp, seeing the person in front of you go onstage? do you remember that moment when you are walking up the ramp and onto the stage, hearing the announcer guy say who you are as you look over tens of thousands of people with hundreds of cameras as you stand in the middle of the huge stage as the spotlight and doing a pose, hearing cheering and applause for the work that you put so much time into, and then walking back down the other ramp?

this is what cosplaying is all about. i know this happened 14 months ago, but i remember every second of waiting in line and going on.

LilLadyBug
10-15-2010, 02:52 PM
do you remember the whole event of going backstage? do you remember the feeling of sitting in line to get judged and then get in line to go onstage? do you remember standing at the bottom of the ramp, seeing the person in front of you go onstage? do you remember that moment when you are walking up the ramp and onto the stage, hearing the announcer guy say who you are as you look over tens of thousands of people with hundreds of cameras as you stand in the middle of the huge stage as the spotlight and doing a pose, hearing cheering and applause for the work that you put so much time into, and then walking back down the other ramp?

Way to freak a first timer out!! :D hehehe Should be fun!

Idmaif
10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Way to freak a first timer out!! :D hehehe Should be fun!

LOL, yea you will get nervous before you go on, almost no matter who you are, it is scary to do it, but once you do, it is great

catfetus
10-16-2010, 11:11 PM
LOL, yea you will get nervous before you go on, almost no matter who you are, it is scary to do it, but once you do, it is greatOne thing that made me feel better was that when you get out on the stage the lights are so bright that you can't even see more than a few rows in front of you.
I do wish the music was louder on the stage though, it felt so quiet last year :(

Once it's over it's not that bad, and you will be glad that you did it! :D Just make sure to not freak out and still do your poses or whatever you are supposed to do. I got "griped" at by a photographer who ran in to me the next day about how I didn't stand still long enough for anyone to get pictures :(

Etrina
10-16-2010, 11:40 PM
I updated the WoW Insider Meetup link to the one containing detailed information about the prizes they are handing out and guests who will be appearing :3 I just hope no one goes all Bloodsail Admiral on Booty bay.

That would be me......still trying to get my rep back to claim my Tiger. /face.palm.

Pocket X
10-17-2010, 02:30 AM
FYI to those who have not seen the change... The Cosplay Dinner Meetup has changed locations to the Jazz Kitchen.

See here http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=117447998311578 and here http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26859150938&sid=1

Eva Xgouki
10-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Just got a reply about the performance I was planning for the costume contest. It looks like they are changing the format for the contest again and in a pretty big way this year:

"...In regards to your entrance, we are changing the format from our normal procession. We are having contestants enter from 3 sides, walk to center stage, and then stand on a particular spot until all 10 have come out. This is being done to give each costume longer stage time..."

This really puts a cog in the performance I had in mind :( . LF volunteers to get killed by Hogger on stage...

Pocket X
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
@ Eva: That is entirely disappointing. 10 people on the stage at once? Do they understand the delicacy of most costumes and the fact that have 9 other people on stage at once would be remarkable confusing and give no focus to one costume at a time?

Ridiculous. Longer stage time but more confusion and less focus to each individual costume? And how do they plan us to coordinate... on the spot?

[removed for later commentary]

Maryssa
10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I think this is going to save time overall, which honestly is a welcome change. They did a similar change to the dance contest (I'm also in that). Less time waiting backstage and less time for the audience (both live and virtual) to become bored. I'm always a fan of efficiency!

I am guessing they will have different colored or numbered marks, and honestly it's not thar hard for people to spread out on stage on the spot.

Tonksie
10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Just got a reply about the performance I was planning for the costume contest. It looks like they are changing the format for the contest again and in a pretty big way this year:

"...In regards to your entrance, we are changing the format from our normal procession. We are having contestants enter from 3 sides, walk to center stage, and then stand on a particular spot until all 10 have come out. This is being done to give each costume longer stage time..."

This really puts a cog in the performance I had in mind :( . LF volunteers to get killed by Hogger on stage...

Wait... so we walk out one by one and then stand in a line or something? I'm not quite sure I like this change. I mean, I've worked really hard on my costume, but there is no way that it compares to some of the other costumes that are going up there. If there are mistresses of pain - awesome level of costumes on the stage already when I walk out, I feel like nobody will be looking at the still awesome, but maybe not quite that awesome (like my own) costumes who just want a few seconds to show off their work and not have it directly compared to costumes of that epic-ness level.

Or, maybe I'm just being ridiculous. It happens.

Ayabi
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Wait... so we walk out one by one and then stand in a line or something? I'm not quite sure I like this change. I mean, I've worked really hard on my costume, but there is no way that it compares to some of the other costumes that are going up there. If there are mistresses of pain - awesome level of costumes on the stage already when I walk out, I feel like nobody will be looking at the still awesome, but maybe not quite that awesome (like my own) costumes who just want a few seconds to show off their work and not have it directly compared to costumes of that epic-ness level.

Or, maybe I'm just being ridiculous. It happens.

Your argument is fair, but keep in mind that this IS a costume contest. You are there to be judged and compared to other entries.

LilLadyBug
10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Your argument is fair, but keep in mind that this IS a costume contest. You are there to be judged and compared to other entries.

By the judges, yes. Let's be honest, the crowd is there to see everyone and pretty much just have fun. I can see Tonksie's point.

Tonksie
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
By the judges, yes. Let's be honest, the crowd is there to see everyone and pretty much just have fun. I can see Tonksie's point.

And yes, this is a contest, and from a contest and time point of view, the change makes a lot of sense.

But, I also think a lot of the contestants are there to pretty much have fun. I absolutely KNOW that I have no chance of winning, and I would bet about 85% of the other contestants are in the same boat as me. It's our chance to get a tiny bit of recognition for the hard work we put into these costumes, our (barely) 10 seconds of fame. Now I feel like I'm going to wonder if people are even looking at my work, or if they're too mesmerized by the awesome giant wings or glowy sword that walked out before me.

Well, on the bright side, at least my stage fright won't be so bad. I mean, now I can tell myself that people probably won't even be looking at me :p

Synariel
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
My concern with this is whether our "handlers" are going to be able to walk out with us.
I am going to be over 7 feet tall and my face will be completely covered by a heavy mask: I really was hoping to have my handler help me walk out so that I don't fall flat on my face and/or break a leg XD
I hope they'll still allow it despite the fact that it might make it a bit more crowded on stage.

Idmaif
10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
well this sucks... i was really looking forward to having the spotlight again... that was my favorite part of the contest... what is with blizzard and saving time on the first day contests? they got rid of the sound alike contest too.

well i guess this is good for groups of friends going on together... i just wanna see someone in the contest just do something wacko and take the center of attention anyway while onstage with other people haha

essex1984
10-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Even still 3 min x 10 groups is only 30 min.... All I can guess is that Direct TV is driving this and they are afraid of running over the broadcast time.

Besides who gets on first and stands for 3 min when the last people on stage get 30 secs, how is this fair to any one? I hate to say it but once again this is a cluster.

4 days till con and we get this news because some one had to send an e-mail to blizzard to get the information.

I count at least 6 months of work on my costume and no offense to any one but I have been in full expectation of my 30 seconds of fame. Do i mind sharing the stage no, but getting the news of this second hand is a little bit bogus. I almost believed they were taking this serious when they set the cap at 100 people and put up a fat cash prize for the winner.

Do we have any word on when the judging will take place? trivializing my costume into 15 seconds last year was about as much as I'm willing to. I know its Blizzards event but they have to give some consideration to the people who make it happen and I don't mean the staff.

/rant(end)

LalaFTL
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Bleh. I preferred thinking of it more as an exhibition than a contest, as I have absolutely no chance of winning anything either. I think group presenting like that does kind of undermine the purpose of showcasing the costumers' works. As for time, why does Blizzard want to condense it? The costume contest is something EVERYONE looks forward to, and I personally know a few non-artsy friends who regard the costumes as one of their favorite parts of the con. Why gimp it?

Zzz

Idmaif
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
blizzard is going to start treating blizzcon like they treat wow... they just care about whats easiest for them and dont care what the people think... but who knows, the costume contest might not be as bad as we predict, there have been lots of blizzard announcements that i was dreading to come but i got to like them.

i say they should just go with "screw DirecTV! those people who didnt come out here dont deserve everything the people who came here" i know its harsh, but i would say its fair, why should the attendees have a downgrade because of the directv, like that beta drawing last year how it included the PPV'ers...

Ayabi
10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
We get more time on stage now and almost everyone complains about it >:| If you want longer, DO SOMETHING when you hit the center stage mark -- just like before. Sounds like the last person will have to stand on a mark before the group leaves, giving EVERYONE more time on stage total.

Seriously, chill. This is a GOOD thing.

Also, Essex, I started my costume last October and have been working on it diligently for the past year. You're not the only one hoping to have more compassionate judges, but that bit has yet to be seen.

Edit: I got the mail.

Greetings Cosplayers!

Please read the following information carefully:

You will need to sign in at our "Guest Services" counter between the hours of 12:00 PM and 3:00 PM, Friday October 22, located outside of the event halls, in the center of the lobby, between halls B and C
THERE IS ALREADY A WAITING LIST. IF YOU DO NOT SIGN IN BY 3:00 PM, YOUR SPOT WILL BE GIVEN AWAY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE
Upon checking in you’ll receive a contest pass that will allow you through security into our contestant holding area backstage at the main stage in Hall D and
Will contain your name and costume announcement information (More info below) It’s important you hold on to the card.
Once you have signed in, all contestants will need to make their way, in full costume, to the backstage area of Hall D at 4:30. The entrance will be located north of the Orc & Wolf Statue shown in your BlizzCon map. Showing up late may jeopardize your opportunity to participate.
BlizzCon staff members will be onsite near the backstage entrance to provide you with further instructions.

essex1984
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
We get more time on stage now and almost everyone complains about it >:| If you want longer, DO SOMETHING when you hit the center stage mark -- just like before. Sounds like the last person will have to stand on a mark before the group leaves, giving EVERYONE more time on stage total.

Seriously, chill. This is a GOOD thing.

Also, Essex, I started my costume last October and have been working on it diligently for the past year. You're not the only one hoping to have more compassionate judges, but that bit has yet to be seen.

More time on stage split among 10 people is less time in my opinion. The solo walk provided a good opportunity for solo pictures and fun skits among 2-3 people.

If you were alone then you got your moment to shine. Every one remembers the lvl 1warrior from last year because of how he owned the stage when he walked it.

The e-mail said 3 people will enter at a time, don't really see how you plan on owning the stage when you can't DO SOMETHING when you hit the center stage mark because two other costumes are entering at the same time.

(Walks away before the flame wars set fire to the village)

Nozze
10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I just received my contest e-mail. They didn't really explain their new methods there, either. I think that is what is frustrating people the most - the lack of communication.

Considering this is my first year ... I don't really care. I know a lot of people feel that the contest is bogus anyways (because of the judging) so it should be about fun at this point. Since I've been a part of the audience more than a participant, I hope the new method of presentation doesn't detract from the entertainment factor. I'm sure a lot of the audience is going to be confused as to what's going on. :\

Ayabi
10-18-2010, 09:26 PM
The e-mail said 3 people will enter at a time, don't really see how you plan on owning the stage when you can't because two other costumes are entering at the same time.

See:

"...We are having contestants enter from 3 sides, walk to center stage, and then stand on a particular spot until all 10 have come out."

This does NOT say simultaneously. If all 3 enter at the same time, that seems hard to announce AND difficult to share center stage (not to mention that if we all enter at the same time, the tenth person would go out solo -- so I doubt this is what's happening). It sounds like they are giving us multiple points of entry to make it easier on US so that difficult costumes can be handled properly and given the space they need.

But I could be mistaken. I obviously am for seeing advantages by default instead of emphasizing disadvantages. Seriously, chill.

Nozze
10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Re-reading the quote by Eva, it seems they're running it more similarly to a pageant vs traditional cosplay contests.

Everyone gets their moment to be at center stage, but instead of leaving the stage immediately afterward, you go to a different spot in the background and wait for the others to do the same thing. Once everyone's had their time at center stage, they all walk off stage together. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. It really just makes it more competition-oriented which would be a step in the right direction towards making the contest legit, right? *shrug*

Also, repeatedly telling people to chill usually has an adverse affect. Just saying :P

Idmaif
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
i cant find this info anywhere, i got the email and all it said was where and when to go to get signed up and all that good jazz... i am starting to realize that people will still get some kind of spotlight because of how long it will take them to announce everyone going up...

does anyone think that it will be kinda like the other contests in the previous years how they all go up and jay mohr talks to them all? just a consideration... i wish blizzard would clarify this stuff more

Ayabi
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Re-reading the quote by Eva, it seems they're running it more similarly to a pageant vs traditional cosplay contests.

Everyone gets their moment to be at center stage, but instead of leaving the stage immediately afterward, you go to a different spot in the background and wait for the others to do the same thing. Once everyone's had their time at center stage, they all walk off stage together. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me.

Also, repeatedly telling people to chill usually has an adverse affect. Just saying :P

Seriously, chi-- I mean, thanks for seeing what I've been getting at.

I like this format much better than "please hurry across the stage." Also, if they do this in the way I'm thinking, the audience and cameras won't even SEE us until we're announced. This is much better than hanging out in the limelight (top of the ramp) while someone else is on stage. If you were looking for retaining shock value, this just might happen this year.

does anyone think that it will be kinda like the other contests in the previous years how they all go up and jay mohr talks to them all? just a consideration... i wish blizzard would clarify this stuff more

That is exclusive to the finalists.

Nozze
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Seriously, chi-- I mean, thanks for seeing what I've been getting at.

I also see what you did there. ;P

Edit: In other news... sent my info to them. Here's hoping they can pronounce my last name right (even though it's really not that hard at all...) >.>

AnimeGamer
10-19-2010, 02:17 AM
If Jay Mohr talked to all 100+ cosplayers on stage that night, we'd be there all night.

I'm sure he had the hots for that Valeera Sanguinar though - that kick still has me going "woh" whenever I bother to rewatch it on YouTube.

Ayabi
10-19-2010, 02:51 AM
If Jay Mohr talked to all 100+ cosplayers on stage that night, we'd be there all night.

I'm sure he had the hots for that Valeera Sanguinar though - that kick still has me going "woh" whenever I bother to rewatch it on YouTube.

If he did and still does feel that way about Jo-Jo, Glenn will be quite obliged to punch him in the mouth, I'm sure.

p.s.
She's my boss. :)

Pocket X
10-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Photoshoot scheduled for 2:30 to 3:30 PM at the fountain before the contest. Make sure you check in at guest services before the photoshoot.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27026380319&sid=1

birdyface
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Photoshoot scheduled for 2:30 to 3:30 PM at the fountain before the contest. Make sure you check in at guest services before the photoshoot.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27026380319&sid=1

Can non-contestants join the photo shoot, or is this only for people who are in the costume contest? I missed the deadline (doh!) but I don't want to miss out on any group photo opportunities.

Thanks!

Nozze
10-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Everyone's allowed. :)

Pocket X
10-19-2010, 02:26 PM
All costumes are welcomed. Contest or not. The goal of the photoshoot is to make sure EVERYONE goes home with at least one picture of them in costume.

Aleze
10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
It may be impossible for me to get to Anaheim by 3pm on Friday for the contest sign in . . . :( I'll be in class in Long Beach. It's finals day.

Would they know the difference if I had a friend sign in for me? Or can I go and sign in at 7:15 in the morning?

Maryssa
10-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Good point... They've never asked for ID at checkin for the contests before, at least for me. I think I just signed next to my name on a list.

Aleze
10-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Good point... They've never asked for ID at checkin for the contests before, at least for me. I think I just signed next to my name on a list.

Okay, thanks. Good to know that's an option.

I'm actually thinking that I'll leave class to drive out to Anaheim around noon, sign in, and drive straight back to class . . . and hope no one notices that I was gone for over an hour.

Maryssa
10-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah I'm not saying to count on that by any means... I don't want to make you lose your signup :(

Idmaif
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM
that is really sad to miss most of the first day, i would die if i had to miss that much of Blizzcon, especially missing the opening ceremony :P

i am even extremely grateful to arive at my uncle's house at about 10 PM tomorow night, and then waking up at 4 to drive 2 hours to the convention center because i am so dedicated to getting there even for the line to get in!

Aleze
10-20-2010, 09:51 PM
that is really sad to miss most of the first day, i would die if i had to miss that much of Blizzcon, especially missing the opening ceremony :P
School is the priority at the moment. That's just the way it goes. I miss out on all kinds of stuff because of my crazy schedule.

But, problem resolved! :) My instructors may not be understanding, but Blizzard is.