PDA

View Full Version : Need costume assistance? Post here!

Ayabi
08-03-2010, 04:47 AM
We are happy to help any cosplayer, fledging or veteran, with any question or concern they may have! Many contributors to this little section of Coscom have been around for a while, and most have their own specialties when it comes to materials and techniques. If you're looking for someone experienced with Blizzard's universes to help with your costume woes, don't be afraid! Ask for help :D

Tonksie
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Maybe have it backpack style with slits in the poncho for the straps? That way you don't see the straps, but the poncho is unaltered?

DreamKitty
08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
How can I add cracks into my craft foam armor to make it look more worn like Sylvanas'? I tried taking a butter knife and pressing the ridges into it, but that didn't really work. >___>; And right now my armor doesn't look very...aged. I don't know what to do. :/

DreamKitty
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, like worn leather cracks. It's just coated in paint right now lol. I haven't even sealed it yet. >___>; I might try that hot needle trick. Thanks for the idea. :3

Ayabi
08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, like worn leather cracks. It's just coated in paint right now lol. I haven't even sealed it yet. >___>; I might try that hot needle trick. Thanks for the idea. :3

You can also try heat tools from a craft store. A hot knife usually comes with a detail (skinny) tip which makes it easy to put cracks into armor. You will also have constant heat and more control with the tool :) It will set you back $8-15. Woodburning kits come with similar tools. Check prices and go for what seems best.

Schwarzwald
08-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Unless you can find one with a super-low temp setting (not likely given the nature of the device) that won't work as well as you might think, a constant heat ends up being somewhat detrimental to the process - craft foam melts rather easily and we're just trying to score it, or I assume we're just trying to score it. ^_~

Merodi
08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
If you're good at painting, you could always FAKE the cracking.

Mnemeth17
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Ooo! I got this. Purposely bend your armor out of shape. It should craze (form wrinkles/cracks) due to the foam being bendy and the paint not. Bend multiple times to get deeper wrinkles. Then weather those in with black paint and it looks quite war torn! I can only guarantee that this will work for Rub 'N Buff painted craft foam, as I haven't ever painted it with acrylic or spray paint, which might crack/flake off versus just craze.

DreamKitty
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful tips guys, I really appreciate it. :3

@Ayabi: That seems like a bit safer idea. xD; I might experiment with that on some spare foam and see how it looks.

Ayabi
08-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the helpful tips guys, I really appreciate it. :3

@Ayabi: That seems like a bit safer idea. xD; I might experiment with that on some spare foam and see how it looks.

Just be careful and don't focus the point too much. Definitely test on scraps to see how gently you should push and to get a good hand for it :) It will work, though. I used to do this for texture work.

WR_Pouncival
08-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey folks, I'm working on a Reaper this year but I need a bit of help. I'm struggling with getting this helmet right.

Reference here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/unit/reaper

Ive done a couple mock ups, but nothing that actually works properly, and on one of them I forgot to leave room for my glasses. Any suggestions?

Tonksie
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
For those of you who have done lighting on their costumes before, I'm looking to do 3 small lit areas on each shoulder. I should be ok on the actual circuitry, but I don't know where the best place to buy LED's and what kind of MCD rating I should be looking for the best appearance. Can I just go radio shack style, or is there a good place to buy online?

If I'm going for a red glow, and have red transparent gems, should I get red LEDs, or go for white and let the gem do the work?

Etrina
08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I'll go ahead and talk to my resident lighting expert and get back to you. I just wanted to let you know I read this and will get ahold of him asap unless someone else answers your question first :)

Falinadin
08-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I need some help from anyone who has experience with Kryolan Aquacolor body paints. From what I have read it sounds like a good brand to go with, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to buy.
My face, neck, upper chest, and fingers are all that are going to be painted. I would like my paint scheme to look like this: http://web.mit.edu/kayla/Public/Backgrounds/Warcraft%20III%20-%20Night%20Elf%20Box%20Cover.JPG So I'm going for a muted blue-ish purple, and a slightly darker version for the tattoo markings.

One question I have, is how much should I buy? I really don't want to have to buy more last minute because I ran out. And again, I'd like to be able to practice before hand.
Another question I have, is how true to the color chart is the paint? And which charts are accurate? I found one chart here: http://www.ec-securehost.com/WouldYouBelieve/images/Aquacolor_Kryolan_VividColor.jpg and one chart here: http://www.beadscanada.com/productimages/products/KR1102%5B2%5D.jpg

As you can see, the colors look quite different on those two charts. I am inclined to trust the first one, but does anybody know? Thanks!

LalaFTL
08-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Online color charts are horrible representations. :( I discovered this after finding a local costume shop that carried Aquacolors and they were totally off. I'd recommend doing this if at all possible - call around if you have any costume shops near you. Otherwise hopefully someone can point you to a good match from experience.

The best NE color I've found personally is lilac from Snazaroo and it's still a bit dark.

EDIT: I posted that from my phone - looking at the images now (they are actually the same one), the second one is a just poorer quality jpg. Hoever, I still strongly recommend trying your costume shops before you buy anything online. :p

Falinadin
08-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I'll probably do that tomorrow, try to find a shop that carries them. Thanks!

Tonksie
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
kryolan aqua color goes a looooooong way. I bought 3 3.5 oz containers for my draenei costume, and ended up using only about 1/3 of the container to cover most of my upper body.

krystlejo42
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Ok. So... this is more of a prop question than the costume itself.

I had been looking at how Kamui had made her staff and decided to give her technique a try. I had used the foam, and carved it down. From there, instead of using paper mache (cause i fail with paper mache), I tried using model magic. It just cracked ridiculously bad. Anyone have any suggestions of a clay type coating that I might used to finish this off? I'm stuck. lol

LalaFTL
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I've been using paperclay on my horns but I did put a layer of paper mache underneath for grippy purposes.

Reformed Tomboy
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I've been using paperclay on my horns but I did put a layer of paper mache underneath for grippy purposes.

Same, but I only used the wire mesh under mine. The clay stuck fine in my case.

Etrina
09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
For those of you who have done lighting on their costumes before, I'm looking to do 3 small lit areas on each shoulder. I should be ok on the actual circuitry, but I don't know where the best place to buy LED's and what kind of MCD rating I should be looking for the best appearance. Can I just go radio shack style, or is there a good place to buy online?

If I'm going for a red glow, and have red transparent gems, should I get red LEDs, or go for white and let the gem do the work?

For your lights - I finally got a response.
He recommended looking at this site:
http://www.theledlight.com/technical1.html
More MCD will give you a better view of the light from more angles - but it's not required.

and said that either red or white lights would work - it just depends on how well your gems are reflecting the light. Unfortunately you're going to have to trial and error that one to see which color looks best.

Nozze
09-04-2010, 04:27 AM
I'm looking for body paints to use for Ysera. Going with Kryolan for obvious reasons, but I don't live near a store that sells it. I know the colors are different when you see them in person... so anyone who can give me input on colors would be great.

Based off the color charts, I was thinking:
http://kryolan.com/images/colors/b3khwqb4mface_body_painting_1101_r27.jpg (for body)
and
http://kryolan.com/images/colors/t0cai624eface_body_painting_1101_gr42.jpg (for markings)

What do you guys think?

Falinadin
09-05-2010, 06:35 PM
haha I was just asking this. Yesterday I drove 2 hours to sacramento to go to a store that sold them in person, and I will say that the in person colors match the online charts only so-so. But I got to play around with it for a while, and it seems like good quality stuff that won't crack, so I'm happy.
In the end I got multiple colors that I'm going to have to mix to get what I want.

I looked at that R27 in the store, it's pretty close to that color, but perhaps just teeny tiny more blue-hinted, rather than red. It's a fairly dark purple too. Maybe the store I went to had a limited sample supply, but I ended up going with http://www.kryolan.com/images/colors/t6vv0ehp5face_body_painting_1141_silver_lilac.jpg (which is lighter and a bit more blue hinted in person) and I'm going to mix it with a bit of the R27 to try to get this look: http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/D/DarkAngel42/1087049135_night_elf.jpeg
We'll see how it goes once my paints come in (had to order them, she didn't have the R27 in stock).
My suggestion is to really try and find them in person, but if you can't then they should be ok to order online, but the colors maybe a bit off.
Hope that helped!

Nozze
09-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I somehow completely missed your and Lala's posts for whatever reason. X_X Sorry about the double question! *feels dumb* But thank you very much for the help :) I really like the lilac from Snazaroo that Lala mentioned ... think it might turn out perfect for Ysera's color.

It's times like these I wish I didn't live in the middle of the midwest ;_; You guys that are coastal residents have it so lucky!

Syrinx
09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
hello everyone :) i keep hearing (or reading, i suppose) you guys reference paperclay, i was wondering who sells it? i'll be working on some tauren horns and from what you guys have been saying, it seems that paperclay might be my best bet. does joanns or michael's sell it? thanks! =^.^=

Tonksie
09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Michael's sells paperclay. It's where I normally pick mine up.

Falinadin
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Yup, I get mine at Michael's. Plus their weekly 40% off coupon = win.

Syrinx
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
thanks guys! =^.^=

essex1984
09-06-2010, 07:30 PM
OK wanted to toss it up on the forums. I have redone the Shoulder tutorial off a commision I was asked to do. Its only part 1 right now but it is all the way through shaping of the shoulder. I will put finishing of the shoulder in to part 2.

armor-tutorial part1 (http://tripleacosplay.com/2010/09/06/shoulder-armor-tutorial-part1/)

krystlejo42
09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
OK wanted to toss it up on the forums. I have redone the Shoulder tutorial off a commision I was asked to do. Its only part 1 right now but it is all the way through shaping of the shoulder. I will put finishing of the shoulder in to part 2.

armor-tutorial part1 (http://tripleacosplay.com/2010/09/06/shoulder-armor-tutorial-part1/)

Ooooh! Awesome! You rock! Just so ya know! :P

Falinadin
09-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Awesome tutorial!

Winter Star
09-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Essex - Thanks so much for your tutorial link! I am making the same shoulders for a NE priest costume, I had started out making them with paper mache pulp... messy, time consuming and is becoming quit heavy! I think I'll give the foam a go. If you make a mistake when craving a bit, do you think you could build up over it with spray foam and continue?

Syrinx
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
a question on horn construction... i bought the mesh wire stuff to mold into the shape of the horns which i have done already. my question is, do i paper mache over the wire stuff, or just apply the clay directly to the structure? thanks again, guys!

essex1984
09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
What type of clay??

Assuming you have a good solid horn form, I would apply at least one layer of paper mache to set the form and make sure nothing is getting pushed in to the inside as you apply more over the top. Paper-clay works well also but can be a bit pricy.

Syrinx
09-21-2010, 10:43 PM
thanks for the help :) yea, i bought some paper clay i should be able to finish the horns this weekend now that i know how to go about them! oh, and awesome tutorial, essex! =^.^=

Winter Star
09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Essex Your tutorial is brilliant - thank you so much for linking it! I have a question tho about fixing the pauldrons. Once made how do you attach them?

Tonksie
09-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Hey all,
I started painting my shoulders last night using the Jaquard Lumiere paints that I bought. Unfortunately, the blue is way too light, and when I mix it with darker colors, it turns kind of green. I was looking at the other lumiere colors and don't really see how to make the color I need out of them. I may be able to add some purple to balance the green and make it darker, but I think it's going to be tough to get the color I want out of it.
Does anyone have any other suggestions for good paints to use? Preferably ones that can be found at most local places? I need something that's like a dark navy blue.

essex1984
09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Tonksie: what type of effect are you looking for out of the paint? Do you need a metalic sheen or just the right color that you can put a coating over later?

I swear by anything that is Liquitex (http://www.liquitex.com/Products/products.cfm), they have geart colors and with a variety of types of paint, they have meet every need I have had.

Also use Createx (http://www.createxcolors.com/product/main.html), this is primarily an airbrush paint so it is a bit thinner but they have some awesome colors.

Pocket X
09-29-2010, 05:26 PM
@Tonskie: Piggy-backing on what essex said. But I also use a great variety of acrylic fluids by Golden. They have some fantastic colors of metallic flavor that really pop.
Not to mention fluids will also go a long way since they're extremely concentrated. Mixing them with solid paints is easy as well and you don't need much to mix. Just make sure to check their opacity and understand what color effects you want before purchasing and painting.

Falinadin
09-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Essex your tutorials are awesome, and I'd like to make a request :D
How to effectively keep shoulder pieces where they belong continues to baffle me. This year I kinda made a harness-thing out of webbing, that goes around my chest and crosses over my shoulders. Then I have webbing that is attached to my shoulder pieces that, in theory, will go through little holes in my dress and attach with snaps to the harness beneath.
If you could show how to attach shoulder pieces to a harness or something like that, I would be a happy person. :)

If anyone else has good tips you can through them in as well!

krystlejo42
09-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Oooh. I may be able to help with this. I believe he ran 2 chains from pauldron to pauldron under his costume. He made the base of my shoulders, and i'll show you what he did for me. He put 2 hooks in each pauldron for attachment.

Ok. The insides look like this. One with felt, the other without.
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk454/Ehleonahra/costume017.jpg

I attached them with one string across the back. Like so
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk454/Ehleonahra/costume019.jpg

Since my costume has a V-neck, I couldn't do it the same in the front as I did in the back. For the front, I used 2 strings, criss-crossed them, and tied them in the back. It's really sturdy. :) And completely is hidden in the costume!
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk454/Ehleonahra/costume018.jpg

P.S. Please ignore the jelly rolls. lol. >.< And, I did the strings on the outside of a tanktop so I wasn't being uber revealing. lol. And also, so you could see what i've done. I still need to add the fabric, and finish painting the left pauldron. lol. Hope this helps!

Falinadin
10-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Yes it did help!
Do the hooks not poke you too badly?

krystlejo42
10-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes it did help!
Do the hooks not poke you too badly?

Not at all. They're bent sideways, and they can turn a little bit, so they sit quite comfily (not sure thats a word but oh well. :P) on my shoulders.

Psycho Sukafu
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind when I finally get around to making shoulders myself.

Completely random question but does anyone have full body shots of the blood elf priest from the Burning Crusade cinematic? I've managed to grab a couple of screen shots but they are only for the waist up. Even a crotch shot will do, I'd really like to figure out the details of the belt without copying what someone else has already done.:thumbsup:

Ayabi
10-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Completely random question but does anyone have full body shots of the blood elf priest from the Burning Crusade cinematic? I've managed to grab a couple of screen shots but they are only for the waist up. Even a crotch shot will do, I'd really like to figure out the details of the belt without copying what someone else has already done.:thumbsup:

See my attachment. BC LE artbook ownage status: Owns. Had a friend scan this for me to aid in making my own costume.

Psycho Sukafu
10-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Thank you Ayabi! That will really help. Now to get my nerve up to running around with so little on.

Shaylyn
10-02-2010, 03:11 PM
See my attachment. BC LE artbook ownage status: Owns. Had a friend scan this for me to aid in making my own costume.

I can't wait to see your costume! That's going to be beautiful

Ayabi
10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I can't wait to see your costume! That's going to be beautiful

:3 <3

essex1984
10-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Ok, Blizzcon is only weeks away at this point and all 4 of our costumes have been completed!!!

In order to get some material for my blog i wanted to make a "weapon tutorial".
First I was wondering if any one would like to suggest a few good ideas for something they would like to see made. I was thinking the Facelifter (http://www.wowhead.com/item=51010) from Prof. Putricide.
Second if any one would be interested in this prop after i was done with it. Small fee to cover some labor and materials but nothing near the final price of an actual commissioned piece. Feel free to send me a PM in your interested

I would like to keep this in the dagger /1 handed sword/mace/ax style mostly because I am going to be tight on space for room to transport due to 4 costumes and 2 cosplayers in a mid sized sedan.

Synariel
10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Heya, guys. I am rather nervous about this process, so I thought I'd ask for some advice on (latex mask) moldmaking.

Here is the sculpt for my Selendis mask: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2728349/ (it's not quite done. Almost, though). In going about making the mold, I really, really want to avoid doing anything that will result in a non-viable mold and destroy my painstakingly crafted sculpt (I do know that it will be destroyed either way).
I am using Ultracal 30 to make the mold. Here are some of my questions:
-Should I do a two part, front/back mold, or is that possible with the shape of the head (will I have to do a 3-part)?
-Which is the best way to mix the plaster for a beginner? Thick vs. thinner, "island method"?
-How thick should the plaster be altogether? How many layers of burlap would you guys recommend?
-About how much thicker than my own neck should the neck of the sculpt be (so that I can fit the latex mask over my head after it cures)?
Any advice on these questions is much appreciated!

krystlejo42
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Does anyone by chance have a really good paper mache tutorial? I'm trying to find something to cover the spray foam on my staff. The clay is too heavy. I had made a really good Quel'Delar with clay and foamboard, but I had forgot that priests don't use swords. :( So, it's back to the staff. Urgh.

krystlejo42
10-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Somebody? Any body?

Gypsyangelf4i
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Not a tutorial (I just googled paper mache myself), but I did hear that paper grocery bags will hold up better than newspaper.

Oh, and don't use flour or bugs will eat your cosplay, yuck.

Here's a good website I found for what I needed:

http://www.papiermache.co.uk/tutorials/

Ebi
10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm working on my cosplay and I cant figure out what to use for icicles and a thin layer of ice on the horns of my helmet. My only thought I have had so far is letting resin partially set then putting a layer over the horn but I have no idea if resin works like that or not. Does anyone have experience with resin or has another idea for a 1/8" layer of ice+icicles?

Here is a screen cap of the helmet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebifish/5073414111/

Nozze
10-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for attaching Ysera's shoulders to myself? I'm drawing a blank since it's not like I'm wearing anything on my shoulders to attach to ...

ZerinaX
10-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for attaching Ysera's shoulders to myself? I'm drawing a blank since it's not like I'm wearing anything on my shoulders to attach to ...

Shahraz was the same way - shoulders attached to absolutely nothing while wearing a corset. Here's what I did: I made an upper arm guard out of wonderflex that basically went over the curve of my shoulder (so it wouldn't slide down) and went down my upper arm to just above the elbow. It fit to my arm like a glove. Then I attached velcro strips to the armguard at the upper and lower parts (right above the elbow and right under the armpit) that wrapped around the arm to keep it in place. With the straps and the very top part following the curve of my shoulder, it managed to stay on quite well. Then I built the shoulders on top of that.

To keep the shoulders together/more stable, a long piece of velcro ran across my back from pauldron to pauldron. You can use pretty much anything really - I used a chain for the Paladin costume. A strip of Wonderflex would work too, just make sure whatever you are using to attach the shoulders together in the back is strong, like epoxy. It can be a high stress area.

ZerinaX
10-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm working on my cosplay and I cant figure out what to use for icicles and a thin layer of ice on the horns of my helmet. My only thought I have had so far is letting resin partially set then putting a layer over the horn but I have no idea if resin works like that or not. Does anyone have experience with resin or has another idea for a 1/8" layer of ice+icicles?

Here is a screen cap of the helmet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebifish/5073414111/

How about some hot glue that you texture a bit with the hot nozzle of the hot glue gun and highlighted/colored a bit with light and dark blue sharpies? I'd put a layer of mod podge or something over the glue so it doesn't smear.

Also, there are a lot of those fake icicles you can buy that people use for Christmas decorations. Maybe use some of those?

essex1984
10-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Which Ysera's model are you doing? The new or old one? A pic of the shoulders would be great but haveing the shoulders linked yo each other is really going to be your best bet. You cant bend over but that shouldnt be that big of an issue.

Nozze
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Which Ysera's model are you doing? The new or old one? A pic of the shoulders would be great but haveing the shoulders linked yo each other is really going to be your best bet. You cant bend over but that shouldnt be that big of an issue.

I'm doing her Cataclysm model.

Shahraz was the same way - shoulders attached to absolutely nothing while wearing a corset. Here's what I did: I made an upper arm guard out of wonderflex that basically went over the curve of my shoulder (so it wouldn't slide down) and went down my upper arm to just above the elbow. It fit to my arm like a glove. Then I attached velcro strips to the armguard at the upper and lower parts (right above the elbow and right under the armpit) that wrapped around the arm to keep it in place. With the straps and the very top part following the curve of my shoulder, it managed to stay on quite well. Then I built the shoulders on top of that.

To keep the shoulders together/more stable, a long piece of velcro ran across my back from pauldron to pauldron. You can use pretty much anything really - I used a chain for the Paladin costume. A strip of Wonderflex would work too, just make sure whatever you are using to attach the shoulders together in the back is strong, like epoxy. It can be a high stress area.

Thank you so much for the detailed response, that method should work perfectly. :) I was trying to think of something similar to this but I was missing bits and pieces in my head.

Easternwind54
10-15-2010, 09:23 AM
So, I decided to do cos play for the first time this year, and am a little unsure of how to carry out some things.

I want to go as a murloc, but in the cheesy looking in-game murloc suit. (http://www.diablo3.nl/blizzcon07/goodies.shtml)

These are the areas I'm a bit unsure of:

The round shoulders on the shirt. I'm not really sure how to get that effect...
The brown "underwear" he's wearing on the outside. I'm not sure what to do with that at all
I've read tutorials, but I am wondering what people would recommend for the head peice...

Any advice on any of these would be great.

Winter Star
10-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Posted this in the wrong section before... opps

Anyway here's my question guys -
How can I add more height to a great/comfy pair of Wedge Platforms.
I'm 169cm (5ft 6") The game manual says that Night elves are on average 213cms (7ft).
I seriously doubt I could safely wear a pair of 44cm wedges (17" - lol) But I have a pair (Left image) that are 15cm (5 1/2'') and I'm sure that an extra 2 inchs should be fine.
What could I do to raise them 2 inches? Is it possible or should I just go out and buy a pair of terrifying 7 1/2" heels like the ones on the right?
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/Nats_Belly/Platforms.jpg

Idmaif
10-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Posted this in the wrong section before... opps

Anyway here's my question guys -
How can I add more height to a great/comfy pair of Wedge Platforms.
I'm 169cm (5ft 6") The game manual says that Night elves are on average 213cms (7ft).
I seriously doubt I could safely wear a pair of 44cm wedges (17" - lol) But I have a pair (Left image) that are 15cm (5 1/2'') and I'm sure that an extra 2 inchs should be fine.
What could I do to raise them 2 inches? Is it possible or should I just go out and buy a pair of terrifying 7 1/2" heels like the ones on the right?
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/Nats_Belly/Platforms.jpg

i dont think height will be an issue, no one is going to say "that night elf isnt tall enough" or something like that. plus, i think the 7 ft is for men. women would probly be at least 6 inches shorter, so dont kill yourself over being tall

Maryssa
10-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I would recommend NOT buying huge heels like that if you haven't ever worn them. You'll probably be very uncomfortable all day.

birdyface
10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I've got a quick question for all of you cosplayers that have done tier armor. How do you keep your shoulders on? My plan is industrial-strength velcro, but if there's a better way I'd love to hear it!

Maryssa
10-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Scroll to the top of this very page, some good tips right there.

birdyface
10-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Scroll to the top of this very page, some good tips right there.

Ah, I missed that. I don't have any wonderflex, nor do I have time to acquire any.. so that method will not be possible for me, unfortunately. :(

ZerinaX
10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Birdy: My previous year's costume shoulders did not use wonderflex, here are some tips how to do it.

Get some foam from the craft stores that comes in sheets and make comfortable padding for your shoulders under the base of the pauldron. Make sure they are as high as you want them to be on your shoulders - saggy shoulders are bad! Use more foam and make a little "home" for your shoulder by adding another layer both in front of and behind your shoulderblade. Under the pauldron should look like an upside-down U and your shoulder should sit comfortably padded on the top and sides.

Chain/velcro/rope can be used to connect the two shoulders together at the front and back. You can also use a tab of velcro on the shoulders themselves to keep them in place. You won't be able to do backflips in them but they should stay in place quite well.

birdyface
10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Birdy: My previous year's costume shoulders did not use wonderflex, here are some tips how to do it.

Get some foam from the craft stores that comes in sheets and make comfortable padding for your shoulders under the base of the pauldron. Make sure they are as high as you want them to be on your shoulders - saggy shoulders are bad! Use more foam and make a little "home" for your shoulder by adding another layer both in front of and behind your shoulderblade. Under the pauldron should look like an upside-down U and your shoulder should sit comfortably padded on the top and sides.

Chain/velcro/rope can be used to connect the two shoulders together at the front and back. You can also use a tab of velcro on the shoulders themselves to keep them in place. You won't be able to do backflips in them but they should stay in place quite well.

Thanks for the information! I'm hoping to not need a strap in the front, although I will likely put one in the back.

I used expanding foam and cardboard for the majority of my shoulders, and I will probably have to add a bit more foam to carve out a closer fit to my shoulders (the "U" is too wide currently to keep them positioned correctly).
Alternately, I may get some upholstery foam instead, as the expanding foam is rather hard and I imagine wearing that for several hours is going to get uncomfortable quickly.

Does anyone know if epoxy will attach foam to foam (and fabric to foam) well? I've read that it has no solvents, and that solvents are what cause most other glues to degrade foam.

This is my first cosplay using non-fabric materials (although not my first costume) so I'm sorry if I'm a bit of a noob about all of this attachment business. ^^;

Eva Xgouki
10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I've got a quick question for all of you cosplayers that have done tier armor. How do you keep your shoulders on? My plan is industrial-strength velcro, but if there's a better way I'd love to hear it!

I ended up using two strips of velcro (places perpendicular to the shoulder seam) that I bonded to the armor with a good helping of E6000. Takes a couple hours to cure but when it holds it really holds. Just be sure to bond it to a non-painted surface. I taped up the area for the velcro before painting to get a good, clean bonding surface.

birdyface
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I ended up using two strips of velcro (places perpendicular to the shoulder seam) that I bonded to the armor with a good helping of E6000. Takes a couple hours to cure but when it holds it really holds. Just be sure to bond it to a non-painted surface. I taped up the area for the velcro before painting to get a good, clean bonding surface.

What material is the underside of your armor made of (where the velcro is attached)?

For anyone curious, the underside of the shoulders in question can be found here (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/Druid%20Tier%205%20-%20Blizzcon%202010/shoulders17.jpg). I plan to cover the foam with fabric, but I'm finishing the paint job and am waiting to do that 'til last. The current plan is to attach the velcro to the fabric which will get attached to the shoulders. It just seems like that approach will be too weak to keep the shoulders in place. I should probably stop second-guessing myself. ^^;

Eva Xgouki
10-19-2010, 06:59 PM
What material is the underside of your armor made of (where the velcro is attached)?

For anyone curious, the underside of the shoulders in question can be found here (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/dream_of_crows/Druid%20Tier%205%20-%20Blizzcon%202010/shoulders17.jpg). I plan to cover the foam with fabric, but I'm finishing the paint job and am waiting to do that 'til last. The current plan is to attach the velcro to the fabric which will get attached to the shoulders. It just seems like that approach will be too weak to keep the shoulders in place. I should probably stop second-guessing myself. ^^;

Mine was made out of wonderflex and another from plastic sheeting. If you plan on covering yours with fabric I would suggest sewing the velcro to the fabric then attaching it to the underside of the armor with a very liberal amount of hot glue. Or if you have time test out to see if a stronger bonding agent like E6000 will not react badly with the foam and them use that to bond the fabric.

Idmaif
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
velcro is an easy way to attach shoulders to the body pieces...

a harness is also a good way to get them to stay on really easily, with straps and buttons or things like that...

my shoulders this time, i just tied a leather thick thread, tying it to the body piece

Eaeiswen
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I have a question what would be the best "Material" used to making Tier 10 shoulders for the Warrior..I had in mind I don't want to be exactly weighed down since I will be wearing a Worgen fursuit under. Paper Mache,Fiberglass,or a mixture of all sorts of mats?

Tonksie
11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Eaiswen: Essex's shoulder tutorial using insulation foam is amazing. The foam is really lightweight too.

Now for my own question:
For my <Candy Vendor> costume, I want to make the green glowing thing that goes over my head. My costume isn't going to be very recognizable, so I want to be sure to have the tag. I'd also like to make it pretty big. It doesn't have to be the exact ratio, but I want people to be able to read it easily if I'm onstage.

Only problem is, I have no idea how to make it. It needs to be lightweight and can probably be supported by my corset (go-go steel bones). I'd love to make it really glow, but not sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

LalaFTL
11-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Actually some of my old guildmates did light-up nametags last/this year for Blizzcon:
http://zzq.cc/nameplates.jpg
They are attached to headbands.

I can get in touch with the guy who made them and see if he'll divulge his secrets if you like their design. :>

Tonksie
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Those are awesome, but I want mine a lot bigger. I'd love to find out the method though and see if it can be scaled up!

Aleze
11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I made proportionately-sized name tags last year. I used that clear hard plastic stuff? It ended up way too heavy and I just couldn't keep the things stable. So I would suggest free-standing letters connected with wire. Maybe LED tape.

essex1984
11-12-2010, 09:58 AM
The problem is the head band atachment. For a larger size you are going to have to move to a harnees of some osort on your back. Any thing over 2-3 pounds and you neck will suffer ever so much

Tonksie
11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
oh, totally, that's why I said I was going to have it connected to my corset :)

krystlejo42
11-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Just curious. Has anyone ever used Easihair products? I'm looking at one of their hairpieces for my costume and was wondering about the quality.

http://www.theheadshoponline.com/Innocent-Hairpiece-_p_130-721.html

krystlejo42
11-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Ok. I've came up short on my search. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for resin casting? I'm wanting to try my hand at it. But, I have been unsuccessful at finding a tutorial. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

dbchan
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Ok. I've came up short on my search. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for resin casting? I'm wanting to try my hand at it. But, I have been unsuccessful at finding a tutorial. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

Resin casting like for gems or resin like fiberglass resin?

For gems, I like easy cast resin. I went off this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7VVHJ6Jhw

For larger amounts and more serious bznz (over like, 6 oz), there's this website: http://www.b9robotresource.com/plastic_casting1.htm

and i don't know anything about the whole fiberglass and resin method, but this tutorial was in the tutorial list:
http://www.digitalemerald.com/cosplay_armor_index.html

krystlejo42
11-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Resin casting like for gems or resin like fiberglass resin?

For gems, I like easy cast resin. I went off this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7VVHJ6Jhw

For larger amounts and more serious bznz (over like, 6 oz), there's this website: http://www.b9robotresource.com/plastic_casting1.htm

and i don't know anything about the whole fiberglass and resin method, but this tutorial was in the tutorial list:
http://www.digitalemerald.com/cosplay_armor_index.html

Awesome! Thank you so much! This will be a big help!

Yah, it's for gems, that i'm going to try to put lights under... >.<

Darazan
12-02-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm super new to costuming, and was wondering if anyone could answer these for me:

Would anyone know what materials and how to make nice looking possibly curvy kind of details on a corset? I'm hoping that the end result would be something like this, but with a full corset rather than the super midriff baring shown here.

http://darazan.deviantart.com/#/d341f73

Also, how would I make the little circle over the head? There was something on here about light-up nameplates earlier. Would I be able to use the same kind of method?

Idmaif
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a question on how everyone finds materials for their costumes!!!
I always look at peoples armor pieces and wonder "what are the layers of materials that makes up that piece?"
I am just flabergasted on what to use in making these nice smooth, cartoony pieces like everyones look like (how it's supposed to look).
I understand that you can make robes and sleeves and basic cloth pieces by just sewing, but I'm wondering mostly about the pieces that stick out like shoulders and solid objects like weapons and shields.
I'm just wondering because all I know how to use is cardboard and clay and paint and cloth... so should I just go looking around places like the DI looking for random weird pieces that I might be able to turn into a piece.
so thanks in advance to any help, I know you guys can answer I've seen how awesome you have looked for years now :)

catfetus
12-18-2010, 01:37 AM
I have a question on how everyone finds materials for their costumes!!!
I always look at peoples armor pieces and wonder "what are the layers of materials that makes up that piece?"
I am just flabergasted on what to use in making these nice smooth, cartoony pieces like everyones look like (how it's supposed to look).
I understand that you can make robes and sleeves and basic cloth pieces by just sewing, but I'm wondering mostly about the pieces that stick out like shoulders and solid objects like weapons and shields.
I'm just wondering because all I know how to use is cardboard and clay and paint and cloth... so should I just go looking around places like the DI looking for random weird pieces that I might be able to turn into a piece.
so thanks in advance to any help, I know you guys can answer I've seen how awesome you have looked for years now :)
I'm pretty new to all this too and one thing I am coming to discover is that it's a lot of keeping it clean and as close to your shape as possible throughout the entire process. Things like sanding will help achieve the smoothness and when layering clay you probably want to wet it so that you can smooth it over really nicely (and/or just sand it when you are done). And of course just care, time, and effort for getting all those details right as well.
There are a lot of different methods to make what you want to make, so it's about practicing with them and figuring out what you prefer. Being creative and finding new ways is good too (like you mentioned about looking for items/pieces you could turn in to what you want).

Falinadin
12-19-2010, 03:02 AM
I would like some advice. At the moment I'm planning on cosplaying Maiev Shadowsong next year, and I'm not entirely sure how to make the chest piece (seen here, she's the one on the right) http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100814115358/wowwiki/images/7/7e/Cataclysm_Outland_loading_screen.jpg
From the bit of research I've done Wonderflex seems like pretty cool stuff, but how hard does it dry? Rock hard, semi-hard? And since Wonderflex has a texture to it, what should I use to cover it? Some tutorials say to use plastic, but I wonder if gesso or something similar would work?
I'm also curious about the head piece, it tapers slightly narrower at the bottom, and I would like to be able to slip it on and off. I don't know if Wonderflex would have enough give or if I should use some other type of material.
And she seems to be wearing a type of body suit underneath. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

catfetus
12-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Wonderflex should be able to get the job done, but unfortunately I can't really be of much help with that since I've never used it before :(

The headpiece doesn't look like it tapers off to me in that picture, it looks like just a lighting effect. There might be a slight curvature but I don't think it's anything that would be big enough to make it unable to slip on and off. If anything you could just make the helmet slightly bigger than your actual head (it won't really be noticeable) so that if it does taper off at the bottom it will still be wide enough to fit your head through.

For the bodysuit you should be fine just getting a black unitard. They aren't too expensive and should hopefully be thin and dark enough without being more of a shiny black.

Falinadin
12-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks! Yeah now that I look at it, I think you're right that it's a lighting effect on the helm.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should attach the white hair to the thing coming off the helm?

Nozze
12-25-2010, 07:45 AM
You'll want to look in to those tutorials about making high ponytails for wigs. I really like the following tutorial since she goes over many many different methods.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1856065/

Adriawow91
02-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Hi there! Do you think this pauldrons (judgement armour)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=16953#modelviewer

made out of expanding foam can be hold only with velcro? Or will they fall because of the weight?

Ayabi
02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi there! Do you think this pauldrons (judgement armour)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=16953#modelviewer

made out of expanding foam can be hold only with velcro? Or will they fall because of the weight?

It depends on what you put over the expanding foam and precisely how much velcro you plan on using, plus how loose the underarmor is (it should be very fitted to prevent armor slippage). The pieces should be light enough to be held with velcro if you don't make them too bulky. If that fails, you can always put leather or vinyl tabs under the armor and lace them onto your costume. Similar methods are used with SCA; the technique is called "pointing" and is shown here: http://www.revivalclothing.com/article-armingsequence.aspx

essex1984
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Very classic wow shoulders, but the set has a lot of details. I have always preferred to use pink foam vs expanding foam to build base shapes. Most shoulders wont be more then 3-4 pounds on the heavy side but Velcro is a tricky attachment point because you move.

If this was going on a standee then Velcro would be great... but as you walk, reach, carry things it changes how the Velcro holds the object and where the object is balanced on your shoulders. I would look into ways to either attach them to them each other across your body or to the chest plate its self.

Ayabi
02-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Very classic wow shoulders, but the set has a lot of details. I have always preferred to use pink foam vs expanding foam to build base shapes. Most shoulders wont be more then 3-4 pounds on the heavy side but Velcro is a tricky attachment point because you move.

But for someone who may not be perfect with carving, expanding foam is more forgiving than the pink insulation sheets because more foam can easily be sprayed on and re-carved if mistakes are made. His material selection is fine. Symmetry issues will be the same with either material. If a cardboard core is used for the expanding foam, it is even easier to follow the desired form than carving freeform with a block of stuff.

Also, since the Judgement shoulders are very balanced (I made a pair of these), all of the weight will be centered right on the shoulders. I used velcro for mine and they did not slip or move during wear. And yes, we did action shots with them and everything with no issues. You will only have problems if the books are literal books, so keep them light. I suggest making them out of craft foam or anything else light (cardstock and papier mache, etc). Mine took like 5 minutes to pattern and glue together.

Pic related: http://fav.me/d114cwg

theladygoldfish
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey!
I'm trying to put together a basic blood elf cosplay (not an exact copy of a character or anything, but a costume that looks like a blood elf mage), but I'm having trouble with one thing....The eyebrows! Does anyone know if I can buy them online, or an easy (and recognizable) way to make them?
Thanks!!

Reformed Tomboy
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I've seen people use trimmed and painted feathers, with a little glue to the eyebrow. I've also seen people use wig hair trimmings with glue. I also think someone used sculpy for theirs. When I did my blood elf costume I skipped the eye brows, as long as you have ears people should recognize a b.elf even without them.

AnimeGamer
03-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I happened to be roaming around the cosplay.com forums and saw this particular thread for a critique on a Male Draenei cosplay:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=234131

Just wanted to point some of you over there real fast. :P

LilLadyBug
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I know we have a couple of experienced leather workers in here, so I figured this was a good place to take a public opinion poll. :D I've been making good progress on the leather panels for my T9 druid (http://www.hotsdots.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/T9-Female-Druid.jpg), but I'm at the point where I need to make some decisions and I would love some outside input.

So, I've carved the scroll work into the panel (pic (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5584437110_5ec276786f_z.jpg)) and I've got it painted up (pic (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5063/5587318579_765f69b9c6_z.jpg)).

I know I'll need to seal the paint, that's not a problem, I can do that. But first, I feel like I need to darken up the carved/recessed edging on the scroll work. Painting on the test piece was no good, it was too stark and too flat/matte. I have a wood burning tool that seems to do alright. Any ideas on what would be best to use on those edges? I think I'm looking to give it some nice depth is all.

Also, I'm very fond of the natural finish of the leather. Is there a real need to use an acrylic based seal on the leather? I did a test and I'm not fond of the sheen it takes on. Is it okay to seal my painted areas ONLY and then give the leather a nice conditioning oil and just call it good?

I'd love any input/opinions here. I have three areas of panels like this (front legs, back legs and back piece) so I'd like to get my technique down on this piece. Thanks guys!

Ayabi
04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
So, I've carved the scroll work into the panel (pic (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5584437110_5ec276786f_z.jpg)) and I've got it painted up (pic (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5063/5587318579_765f69b9c6_z.jpg)).

I know I'll need to seal the paint, that's not a problem, I can do that. But first, I feel like I need to darken up the carved/recessed edging on the scroll work. Painting on the test piece was no good, it was too stark and too flat/matte. I have a wood burning tool that seems to do alright. Any ideas on what would be best to use on those edges? I think I'm looking to give it some nice depth is all.

Also, I'm very fond of the natural finish of the leather. Is there a real need to use an acrylic based seal on the leather? I did a test and I'm not fond of the sheen it takes on. Is it okay to seal my painted areas ONLY and then give the leather a nice conditioning oil and just call it good?

I'd love any input/opinions here. I have three areas of panels like this (front legs, back legs and back piece) so I'd like to get my technique down on this piece. Thanks guys!

If it seems too flat/matte, try blending black with brown and use the around the outside of the design, and then blend in pure black close to the design. This is a drastic and large-scale example, but check the first picture on my blog post here: http://aya-cos.com/2011/04/11/leatherworking-tooling-and-figure-carving/. You can see that my base is silver, but I used a silver/black mix and then pure black to make the edges look recessed and antiqued. I use pure black in my tiny carved lines because not much else can be done to make them stand out.

As for sealing everything, you don't HAVE to. Unsealed paints are just prone to wear and have a chance to come off if you wear the pieces in the rain for long periods of time (who would do that?). I suggest sealing anything with delicately painted details and metallics. If you don't want a shiny look, get a matte varnish or use those wonderful FolkArt Outdoor acrylics (they're self-sealing).

Your base leather looks prefinished so it doesn't need to be treated for costume use unless you are concerned about weatherproofing it. Leather conditioner is only used to keep leather from drying out and cracking, or to soften it if the raw hide is hard. Common applications for leather conditioner are on items like saddles which get used often in the sun, are exposed to moist (sweat from the horse and rider) and dry conditions alternating on a frequent basis, and have a lot of stress put on them. If your pieces begin to harden and look dull or worn, then use the conditioner. In my experience, any prefinished leather has worked fine with no treatment and any painted veg tan leather can't be conditioned (the paint seals the leather and prevents the conditioner from permeating it).

LilLadyBug
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Ayabi, that gives me a few things to think about!

Adriawow91
05-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Heiii people !!! =D

Do you know a nice way/technique to paint on clothes to make the yellow/orange peice of cloth that hangs in the middle of the chestpiece of the judgement tier? It has diferent tonalities of orange and yellows. I'd like to use a technique that doesnt make the clothes go stiff or wrong in any other ways...

I hope some1 can give me advise ! Thanks anyways

Ayabi
05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Heiii people !!! =D

Do you know a nice way/technique to paint on clothes to make the yellow/orange peice of cloth that hangs in the middle of the chestpiece of the judgement tier? It has diferent tonalities of orange and yellows. I'd like to use a technique that doesnt make the clothes go stiff or wrong in any other ways...

I hope some1 can give me advise ! Thanks anyways

There are a couple of ways you can accomplish this. Many people use acrylic paint, but it is better to mix in what is called "textile medium" to make the paints more like soft fabric paint. You can also use watered-down fabric paints to have a lightweight application.

The other way is with markers, but they tend to work best on natural fiber materials (cotton, linen, etc). You can use either alcohol markers (Prismacolor, Copic, etc) or fabric markers (available at craft stores). If you want to avoid stiffening the fabric, then markers are the way to go. Just layer on the colors starting with your lightest values and progressively add more layers and darker colors to do the shading.

Falinadin
05-16-2011, 02:10 AM
I'm making an armor chestpiece out of wonderflex, and I'm wondering what my fellow lady friends here have done to make sure that the, ahem, boobs appear symmetrical. I'm afraid that if I just start freestyling it that one will be bigger than the other or lopsided or something. Nobody wants that! I also figured that this wouldn't be a bad opportunity to "enhance" my natural curves and have the chestpiece be a bit bigger than I am, so I can't really use myself as an exact model.
Would I make a form somehow, and smooth the wonderflex over it? What do you think would work as a form/model? Thanks!

Reformed Tomboy
05-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Some kind of mixing bowl perhaps?

essex1984
05-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Bio Weapons N7 Armor build (http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/mass-effect-n7-armor-build/) The guys at Bio-weapons did a build out for a fit female armor. they show the steps they used. Pretty simple, its near the bottom of the page.

Falinadin
05-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Now I'm envisioning myself walking through the .99 store holding up bowls and comparing them to my chest >.< lol.
They might really have something that would work though, thanks for the tutorial link!

dbchan
05-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I've been debating the same thing recently. My best thought was was to get a styrofoam ball, slice it in half and use them to shape around, but plastic bowls would be sturdier and easier to check for fit. Thanks for the tutorial ;D

Nozze
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I absolutely adore Bioweapon's work, especially the Shepard armors. Using his progress as inspiration for the medic outfit. Where can you typically buy plexiglass like what he uses to make the breast molds?

essex1984
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I absolutely adore Bioweapon's work, especially the Shepard armors. Using his progress as inspiration for the medic outfit. Where can you typically buy plexiglass like what he uses to make the breast molds?

Home Depot should carry a fair selection of it, or if your lucky enough I would look up Tap plastics and see if you have one near you.
Best store on earth, and after how much I have spent they know me by name.

Lexan is a much stronger nearly break proof plastic, although a bit more expensive you can use a thinner piece and have the same strength

Hylianinja
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Hello guys and gals :)

I've been looking all over the net for tutorials and different ways of making props and such for a cosplay I'm interested in doing and I was wondering if I could get some more experienced cosplayer's opinions. This would be my first time working with these materials, so any input is greatly appreciated.

I have a couple props that I eventually want to do that would accompany two armor sets for my pally cosplay one day.

The first couple props seem the most challenging, but they are two of my favorites and I am driven by pure love to translate them to real life. xD They are:

The Barricade of Eternity:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=40475/barricade-of-eternity
For the barricade, I was thinking of using insulation foam as it's basic form since, as far as I've read, it seems pretty easy to work with. My original idea was to just use foam board, but that seems too boring and flat. :/
My questions for this are:
Since my goal is to make something both lightweight and sturdy, is insulation foam my best option?
Also, for the gems, ( mainly that giant yellow one x.x; ) I was thinking of making a mold out of clay and building a resin gem and placing it on top. Would the foam be able to support that? Or should I just make the gems out of the same foam and just layer it?
And lastly, do I need to cover the insulation foam with paperclay or anything? Or do I just paint directly onto it? Is there a need for any type of seal?
I'm aware that this prop would be pretty daunting to try and cover with paperclay, but I am not in a hurry and wouldn't want to rush this costume. :)

Quel'Serrar:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=18348/quelserrar

The other items I was interested in making are:

The Facelifter:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=51010/the-facelifter#.

Neverending Winter:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50794/neverending-winter

This shield is a lot smaller than the first one, so I'm thinking of using a different approach. Maybe some styrofoam and paperclay? What do you guys think?

As for the weapons, how do you guys normally go about making swords? I'm a total noob at this stuff. >< I was thinking foam board or something, but I think I'd rather want that 3D effect and not 2D. Would this be another area where I can use wire mesh or styrofoam and paperclay?

And lastly, I was wondering about the tier 10 shoulderguards....
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50324/lightsworn-shoulderplates#.

As you can see, they have that cool, almost lava-melting-inside look to them and I was brainstorming ways that I could replicate it...unfortunately I have yet to come up with something I'm entirely confident with. All I can think of at the moment is somehow putting a light underneath and painting orange and yellow over a clear surface, but I'm not sure what that "clear surface" would be. And if not that, what else would the light illuminate from underneath without being covered up completely?
Any ideas or suggestions in this part would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read through all this. ><; I'm sorry if I seem demanding; I'm just trying to get my thoughts in order on how I'm going to go about making all this before I actually attempt it.

dbchan
05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
oh my that's a long post.

insulation foam isn't a bad idea. It has to be sealed or some paints/glues can melt your styrofoam. I seal mine with gesso. Paperclay will add alot of weight if you use it cover over the whole shield so you might want to consider the paper mache method- Kamui has really good prop building tutorial where she shows how to use the paper mache.

wonderflex is also a good material for props, but I've never worked with it myself.

essex1984
05-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I'll see if it cant structure my responses in a semi coherent manner. First of welcome to the Wow cosplay area, feel free to ask any questions and good luck getting tickets on Sat if you plan on attending Blizzcon.

The Barricade of Eternity:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=40475/barricade-of-eternity
For the barricade, I was thinking of using insulation foam as it's basic form since, as far as I've read, it seems pretty easy to work with. My original idea was to just use foam board, but that seems too boring and flat. :/
My questions for this are:
Since my goal is to make something both lightweight and sturdy, is insulation foam my best option?

Barricade is a pretty easy shield all things aside, Its dynamic looking but nothing crazy. Pink foam would work well, but due to length it would be subject to flex and or breakage should you bump or strike it. You will need to reenforce it with either something like wonderflex, plexiglass sheeting, or hardboard on the back side. Pink foam is a great but it does have a few down sides. First is the dust that in created when you sand it. You will have to have a good work area to even consider this stuff. Second it can be damaged or crushed if your not careful. I have had a few props destroyed when something fell on them.

Also, for the gems, ( mainly that giant yellow one x.x; ) I was thinking of making a mold out of clay and building a resin gem and placing it on top. Would the foam be able to support that? Or should I just make the gems out of the same foam and just layer it?
And lastly, do I need to cover the insulation foam with paperclay or anything? Or do I just paint directly onto it? Is there a need for any type of seal?
I'm aware that this prop would be pretty daunting to try and cover with paperclay, but I am not in a hurry and wouldn't want to rush this costume. :)

I seal my foam with Gesso. helps to smooth the surface and provide a good paint-able surface. The gems could be back-lit Resin or foam painted with a good luminescent paint that will reflect camera flash and give that illuminated look.

Quel'Serrar:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=18348/quelserrar

The other items I was interested in making are:

The Facelifter:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=51010/the-facelifter#.

Neverending Winter:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50794/neverending-winter

This shield is a lot smaller than the first one, so I'm thinking of using a different approach. Maybe some styrofoam and paperclay? What do you guys think?

Once you get a taste of pink foam you will be using it for lots of props. This hobby is kind of addicting and as you do more and more you will want to push your self with new materials and that will help with future projects.

As for the weapons, how do you guys normally go about making swords? I'm a total noob at this stuff. >< I was thinking foam board or something, but I think I'd rather want that 3D effect and not 2D. Would this be another area where I can use wire mesh or styrofoam and paperclay?

Once again Pinkfoam and or expanding foam does wonders in the prop department due to how light weight they are. Most WOW swords would be way to heavy to carry if made from wood or plastics.

And lastly, I was wondering about the tier 10 shoulderguards....
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50324/lightsworn-shoulderplates#.

As you can see, they have that cool, almost lava-melting-inside look to them and I was brainstorming ways that I could replicate it...unfortunately I have yet to come up with something I'm entirely confident with. All I can think of at the moment is somehow putting a light underneath and painting orange and yellow over a clear surface, but I'm not sure what that "clear surface" would be. And if not that, what else would the light illuminate from underneath without being covered up completely?
Any ideas or suggestions in this part would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read through all this. ><; I'm sorry if I seem demanding; I'm just trying to get my thoughts in order on how I'm going to go about making all this before I actually attempt it.

Ugg, Blizzard image designers hate cosplayers, the Lava effect could be done with paint or bottom lit with LED's. A project like the shoulders take a lot of planing and screwing up before you will get a product you are happy with. I went through 7 trials of shoulders before I got my first T8 priest set right.

Not sure if I really answered any of the questions well enough, but I hope this helps you out a little bit.

Hylianinja
05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow!! Thank you so much for the feedback, guys! :)
@dbchan:
I agree with you that paperclay would be a bad idea. D: I like the idea of paper mache...I'll have to play around with different ideas until I find something I like...
Thank you for recommending Kamui's tutorials! I had seen her work here on cosplay.com, but never knew about her tutorials on her blog. That should be IMMENSELY helpful. :) She's so amazing. ^^

@Essex
I'm afraid I won't be attending Blizzcon this year due to insufficient funds, :( but I hope to have this costume done for next year's! That way there's no rush and I'm pretty sure it'll be a great deal of trial and error anyway. I'd really hate to half-ass something I care so much about. :/

About the barricade; Omg!! I would hate to work so hard on it only to have it broken or damaged. x.x; Although I guess I shouldn't become too attached to a prop that's so susceptable to an early death. xD I'll have to search the net for the methods you have suggested and compare them and see which I would feel most confident working with.
I've never worked with most of this stuff, so it should be interesting. lol But I am dedicated!!

For the back-lit resin, how exactly does that work? Is the resin the kind you would make out of a mold? And then you just add an LED underneath once it's solid? Wouldn't the resin crush the LED? Sorry I'm such a noob. :(

I'm really excited to start working with expanding foam. It looks like so much fun to work with.

7 trials for your own shoulders, huh? I'm expecting to have a similar experience. xD
Screwing up will probably help me improve though, so it's all good. Just gonna take a lot of time.

I'm still in the planning process, obviously. And it will be a while before I can actually afford to get started on this project, but I'll be sure to keep you guys updated and continue to ask for input should I find myself stuck. :)

Again, thanks so much!! ^^

essex1984
05-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Having plenty of time to plan a costume is always a plus. Most of us lurk on these forums with incressed activity here in the next few month. Feel free to drop by and ask questions as you need.

Be warned, this place is deserted for a few weeks folloing blizzcon

Pazuzu
05-19-2011, 08:12 PM
@Hylianinja:
If you go with pink insulation foam, it can be heated and curved to shape so you don't have a flat shield, and don't need to carve in the curve yourself :3
He doesn't go into too much detail unfortunately, but that's the technique Volpin used for his Midna helmet: http://volpinprops.net/2008/09/midnas-fused-shadow-helmet/

Hylianinja
05-20-2011, 12:38 AM
@Pazuzu:
I like the idea of using that method to give the shield more of a shape. But at the same time Ive been thinking about "sandwiching" the insulation foam in-between two pieces of hard board because Im worried about it getting butchered if it hits something or...yknow...>< I guess im just worried about the prop as a whole lol
Anyway, on top on that "sandwich" idea I was contemplating trying to replicate one of Kamui's ever-inspiring tutorials by covering the base with expanding foam, carving it to shape, little by little...then painter's tape, paper mache out of newspaper, and finally paperclay to smooth it out and further smoothing with sand paper before painting.
And dont get me started on paint. I havent gotten that far yet xD

It sounds like a lot of work for one prop, maybe even too much, but Id like to give it a shot and see what I can do. What do you guys think? Am I just being naive and not realistic in my brainstorming?

essex1984
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
It sounds like a lot of work for one prop, maybe even too much, but Id like to give it a shot and see what I can do. What do you guys think? Am I just being naive and not realistic in my brainstorming?

You will only get the quality and realism of the prop from the time you put in. Cosplay has 3 things important to it, but you can only ever have 2 of them

Time
Quality
Money

If you worried about Quality, you can either spend a lot of money or a lot of your time on it.
If your Rich you can get a Quality piece very fast, but its going to be pricey.
and if you have lots of time then its easy to make a quality piece for a much lower price.

You can never plan to much and if your worried it may be too much effort for a prop, scale back or accept that this is party of the hobby and the ends will justify the means.

The sandwich idea could work very well. Expanding foam from the can is much more durable then pink foam when it comes to bumps and cuts and if your following Kamui's tutorials you will be well served.

You seemed very worried about your props being destroyed or damaged, Have you had this happen in the past?

Hylianinja
05-20-2011, 04:07 PM
You will only get the quality and realism of the prop from the time you put in. Cosplay has 3 things important to it, but you can only ever have 2 of them

Time
Quality
Money

If you worried about Quality, you can either spend a lot of money or a lot of your time on it.
If your Rich you can get a Quality piece very fast, but its going to be pricey.
and if you have lots of time then its easy to make a quality piece for a much lower price.

You can never plan to much and if your worried it may be too much effort for a prop, scale back or accept that this is party of the hobby and the ends will justify the means.

The sandwich idea could work very well. Expanding foam from the can is much more durable then pink foam when it comes to bumps and cuts and if your following Kamui's tutorials you will be well served.

You seemed very worried about your props being destroyed or damaged, Have you had this happen in the past?

Well, I have plenty of time at the moment and I don't mind planning this project out because I really want it to turn out nice. :) And hopefully I'll be working again soon so I'll have the money for all my materials as I go...so I doubt in the end that quality would be sacrificed.

I made the comment about it maybe being too much work only because it sounds like a heckuvalot of work. And I'm sure you guys are sick of my giant walls of text ^^; lol I apologize for that.
Again though, I don't mind. I enjoy the learning process.

I think my first trial attempt will be with my "sandwich" idea utilizing Kamui's prop techniques. It seems the most promising to me at the moment.

And no, I've never had to experience having a prop broken (yet ;) ). It just seems so sad to think that something I've spent a lot of time and effort on could be snapped in half if my cat were to jump on it or something. ><
And I suppose there's always that chance that he could jump on it DURING construction. lol
>.>;
I have prepared myself for the worst. :)

Kagato
05-20-2011, 04:29 PM
I've done more damage to my props after the event I take them to. Left my gunblade in the car for 30min during a break on the drive home. Didn't notice anything wrong until I unwrapped it from the cloth I'd wrapped it in and see that the weave of the cloth had made a permanent impression in the clearcoat on the blade.

dbchan
05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Props breaking is indeed devastating, but the damage can usually be repaired.

Last Blizzcon, my mace snapped in half. It was top heavy and wasn't structured properly inside ( I should've built it around a wooden dowel) and the head literally busted off. However, super glue made it fixable for walking in the contest and once I got it home, I could cover the cracks over and repaint so you don't notice the damage at all. I even took it to another event after that.

So, I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about it. Make sure you build it properly and you won't have any problems. People tend to me respectful of cosplayers and give them a wide berth while traveling, and generally don't touch you when they want pictures. So, no one but you should be handling your props and you shouldn't be getting shoved into walls or anything.

Nozze
05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Can anyone direct me towards body suit patterns or any tutorials on how to make one? I'm only finding full-body suits (the ones that cover your head, like Spiderman) and I don't want to get into altering patterns if I don't have to.

Kagato
05-25-2011, 06:03 PM
For those of you creating weapons from Warcraft, do you tend to follow the in game models, or the concept art?

essex1984
05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Nozze, are you looking for a Lycra body suit?? i would assume there must a company or two who would work with you special order to make a head less body suit. May take an e-mail or two before placing an order, but I'm sure its nothing they haven't done before.

@Kagato: I try and build my props as close to in-game model. This includes hard angles on Ax blades and shields. I feel that if i am going to honor the game designers by making real life versions of their art, then I should stay as close to the version every one sees when they play the game. After all World of Warcraft has a very specific style and I don't think I would feel right changing it because "I" don't like how it is.

snarkie
05-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Nozze, do you need hands and feet in your bodysuit? I also need a bodysuit and found this pattern for a dance unitard, but it doesn't have hands and feet: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=4283

I've found plenty of dance shops that have a good selection, too, but colour and style vary pretty wildly. http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/lonsleevslee.html (No idea if this shop is legit - I was waiting on tickets before I bought anything - but they have a lot of options to stare at!)

Nozze
05-26-2011, 01:12 AM
I can get away without hands and feet, since I can cover up with gloves/boots or whatever else. Thanks for the links Snarkie. :) If I can't find something I'm sure with, I'll go with Essex's option of doing a special order.

Kagato
05-31-2011, 04:21 PM
@Kagato: I try and build my props as close to in-game model. This includes hard angles on Ax blades and shields. I feel that if i am going to honor the game designers by making real life versions of their art, then I should stay as close to the version every one sees when they play the game. After all World of Warcraft has a very specific style and I don't think I would feel right changing it because "I" don't like how it.

Thanks Essex, I was thinking along the same lines.

Here is another question, is there a tutorial for adding light effects to weapons? Specifically I'm thinking of glowing gem effects. I can wire up a LED, but I'm at a loss for putting that behind a resin gem and then attaching it to a weapon while being able to turn it on/off or replacing the battery.

essex1984
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
LOL, some how you managed to read my mind. I will have a tutorial up here In the next few days on how I did that exact thing to a "Golden Staff of the Sindori" as a commission. It's a pretty simple process and depending on the gem and if you want it to be part of the gem or incorporated in to it changes a few minor techniques, but the process is going to be the same.

Seiten Taisei
06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Quick question!
I am using the spray expanding foam to make Lady Sylvanas And Arthas Armor. How ever I don't want the "bubbly" look to be prominent. Is there a way to have a set coat to perserve it? Or if I glue suede over it, is there a recommendation for type of glue to use that will not eat away at the foam?

essex1984
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Most of the people I have seen work with the spray foam will form it to shape, Do a single layer of masking tape. Followed by 2-3 layers of paper mache to seal and give it a nice hard working form.

Hot glue is great for foam, along with E-6000 adhesive.

Hylianinja
06-23-2011, 06:22 PM
LOL, some how you managed to read my mind. I will have a tutorial up here In the next few days on how I did that exact thing to a "Golden Staff of the Sindori" as a commission. It's a pretty simple process and depending on the gem and if you want it to be part of the gem or incorporated in to it changes a few minor techniques, but the process is going to be the same.

:O That would be so incredibly helpful!! I am so clueless when it comes to all that LED stuff, but I'd really like to learn how to work with it.

Wingedwarrior
06-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Hey Nozze, I know a lot of people would recommend Zentai body suits! You can find a ton of different kinds on Ebay, with hands and feet and hoods :D

Edalyne
06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Idk if you got your suit yet, but I agree with wingedwarrior that zentai suits is what you want to search for on ebay. I was gonna sew my body suit for a zero suit samus and it didnt work out...so I bought a zentai suit instead. On ebay even if the photo features your face being covered like spiderman, if you click the auction, there are usually options to order it without the hood for no extra cost! You just make a note when paying with paypal. Like here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-body-lycra-spandex-zentai-black-suit-S-XXL-/250804761835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6520f4eb#ht_3928wt_1139) you put you want 4, a bare face, and it will come that way. It's what I did and my bodysuit came without the face hood thing and no issues. :)

Just keep in mind that like 99% of zentai suits are coming from China, so it may take a bit for it to come in. It took like 3-4 weeks for mine.

Nozze
06-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh wow thanks for pointing that out Edalyne! The spiderman face was why I was staying away from so that's the perfect solution. ^_^ (thanks to wingedwarrior for bringing it up again too! :D)

Darazan
07-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm going to be starting to work on a demonform costume, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to make and attach the symbol floating above its head? Shown below:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/143/l_d60f6ca2f1ac4f68b1ab06724f1dc14c.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/143/l_d60f6ca2f1ac4f68b1ab06724f1dc14c.jpg

dbchan
07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
There's no picture! Re-post?

Darazan
07-04-2011, 12:05 AM
There's no picture! Re-post?

Reposted, I included a link, hopefully it works.

snarkie
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Does anyone have a good EL wire supplier on the Interwebs or in and around Los Angeles? I'm looking for flat, wide strips rather than the normal thin wire. I know I've seen them before but I can't seem to find them now! I found thinner strips on a few sites but they look pretty shady. :P So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reputable supplier that I can check with?

Darazan, there are always a bunch of people at BlizzCon with cool customised player/guild nameplates over their heads. They're lit up and I think attached with simple headbands. I believe they're made of thin sheets of plexiglass, etched, with LEDs installed at the base to illuminate them. I dunno what kind of tools you have at your disposal, but that method looks really great and was the first thing that popped into my head as an option, with a few modifications. Might be a point of research at least. I could also see doing a wire frame of some sort as the base and using EL wire to light it up, maybe?

Darazan
07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Darazan, there are always a bunch of people at BlizzCon with cool customised player/guild nameplates over their heads. They're lit up and I think attached with simple headbands. I believe they're made of thin sheets of plexiglass, etched, with LEDs installed at the base to illuminate them. I dunno what kind of tools you have at your disposal, but that method looks really great and was the first thing that popped into my head as an option, with a few modifications. Might be a point of research at least. I could also see doing a wire frame of some sort as the base and using EL wire to light it up, maybe?

I've tried looking it up, but maybe I just don't know how to word it. Do you know where I might be able to find a tutorial or something for it?

Dal_Segno
07-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Does anyone have a good EL wire supplier on the Interwebs or in and around Los Angeles? I'm looking for flat, wide strips rather than the normal thin wire. I know I've seen them before but I can't seem to find them now! I found thinner strips on a few sites but they look pretty shady. :P So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reputable supplier that I can check with?

LED strips probably aren't what you're looking for but it was the only thing I could think of that fits your description. Especially if you encase them (like this (http://zerartul.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d32yglr)) they make a nice, thick, solid line of light.

dbchan
07-28-2011, 03:57 PM
So! I want to write out my train of thought and make sure that it's logical before I do something stupid and ruin my materials.

reference pic (http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/02/femalebarbarian.jpg)

so to make her top- I was thinking I should start with pulling out a nicely fitting halter top out of my closet and making a pattern piece based off the halter portion. Then, transferring that to craft foam and wonderflex. From what I understand, you're supposed to sandwich the craft foam between two pieces of wonderflex and heat the edges together? then, I would shape it around a rounded form to get the proper cup shape. Does this sound like it will work? Could it be done with a single layer of wonderflex or is that just a bad idea? I'm kind of nervous, I don't want to somehow ruin it.

also, can finished (painted, sealed, done) wonderflex be worn against bare skin? Should I line it with fabric when I'm finished?

For the scales, I was thinking of making strips of scales out of either A) craft foam and gluing them to the bra form, or possibly b) making them out of more wonderflex and heating them on, using heat to manipulate how the scales sit.

Input?

Wingedwarrior
07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Well how I did my Amazon chest piece few years ago, is I did craft foam, then paper mache, then WF, then friendly plastic (not really needed now since WF comes with a smooth side)

Great thing about WF is that you cant really screw up on it, I absoultely love the stuff. If you dont get the shape you want the first go around, you can simply heat it up again and reform it :D
I molded my breastplate from a one piece bra and heated the WF on top of that while I was wearing it lol...
I don't recommend that to anyone, but using a cheap bra is a really good way to get a mold of yourself and build ontop of that.

If your not going to be doing actual scales then I would recommend doing them out of WF then craft foam. But try a few pieces from craft foam and see how they lay.
The better thing with WF is you can mold them to look more like scales, especially with that "crease". But give it a try and see how you can work with them, before you cut all the scales out ^-^

And yes, you can wear WF on bare skin. It's just a type of thermo-plastic, so just plastic against skin. You could also line it, but if your going with the bra scenario that takes care of most of it. Just get a thick one, since more than likely the heat gun will ruin the bra if its thin and leave holes in it.

Hope that helps you! <3

snarkie
07-29-2011, 04:41 PM
I've tried looking it up, but maybe I just don't know how to word it. Do you know where I might be able to find a tutorial or something for it?

I was searching "LED nameplate" and "blizzcon nameplate" on Google.

Here are some shots I found of the ones at BlizzCon:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2465/3852835961_29a9a24b1f.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2597/3852842831_8979dc002f.jpg

And then here's an Instructable (http://www.instructables.com/id/Awesome-LED-Edge-lit-Desktop-Nameplate/) for a desktop nameplate I found. Obviously it's not the same but it's probably a good starting point. :)

LED strips probably aren't what you're looking for but it was the only thing I could think of that fits your description. Especially if you encase them (like this (http://zerartul.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d32yglr)) they make a nice, thick, solid line of light.

I'd basically skipped over LED strips but the example you posted makes me think it could work well, actually. :) Thanks!

I found EL Tape as well, but it's not as wide as what I remember. So I guess I'll just experiment and see how it goes!

Kagato
08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I have a question for those of you who have created armor based WoW costumes. What colors do you use for armor that in WoW isn't just silver or a primary color?

For instance, much of the Stormwind themed armor has a silver-blue color, so I was considering painting the armor with a blue base coat, a dry brush of silver, then a wash of dark blue.

Gold is often shown as various shades of yellow in WoW that usually do not match up with the color you see in metallic gold paint. I'm not sure where to go here; gold spray paint for a more real-world look? Or maybe a yellow base, gold dry brush, then a wash of dark yellow?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

LilLadyBug
08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a question for those of you who have created armor based WoW costumes. What colors do you use for armor that in WoW isn't just silver or a primary color?

For instance, much of the Stormwind themed armor has a silver-blue color, so I was considering painting the armor with a blue base coat, a dry brush of silver, then a wash of dark blue.

Gold is often shown as various shades of yellow in WoW that usually do not match up with the color you see in metallic gold paint. I'm not sure where to go here; gold spray paint for a more real-world look? Or maybe a yellow base, gold dry brush, then a wash of dark yellow?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've been working with this a bit. I will tell you - I went through about 6 shades of metallic gold paint before I found one that matched not only the in game models, but the fabrics and leathers that I've been using. I think aging is the best way to achieve the real world look. Find a paint that you like, then use a dark brown/black/blue/green to get the cast you want. The technique I've always seen says paint it on (over your metallic) then wipe it mostly away with a moist cloth. This allows you to age the edges and keep it from appearing one dimensional.

Spiritwalker
10-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Hello everyone. I have been reading through the forum and realized that I might need some help with my particular costume as well. I *think* I could make it work if I fiddled around with it long enough, but I would prefer some advice if someone already has a sound idea or experience before I tackle this.

I am working on Shaman Tier 13 from WoW, pictured here: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/september/shaman1.jpg

I already have almost everything: The faux fur, leather straps, ect. I am still looking for just the right leather and bone pieces for the belt and helm area decor, but I am not too worried about that with Halloween around the corner.

What is bothering me is those blasted crystal shards inside of the Wolf "skulls", around the shoulder area near the neck, and near the waist. It is described in the tier description as "chunks of glowing amber crystal". Basically fairly large amber crystal points.

I do not usually see things like that on costumes at all, but it is a very important aspect of the tier imo. I have looked at things like plastic jewels, but have never found the correct size, shape or color. I was considering Halloween-esque lights, but have no idea where to begin with finding those, designing a "power" source for those lights inside the costume on top of what I am already doing, or even how they would look. I have some other ideas I am going to try, but I will ask you all before I dive in for your opinion. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to do this costume justice and have until next summer, but want to start sooner rather than later.

Syrinx
10-16-2011, 09:32 AM
how is the spray expanding foam to work with? for making things like shoulder armor... would you recommend the spray foam or the pink insulation foam? keep in mind, i have never made armor before. also, where do you buy expanding foam? is it sold in stores... or is it easier just to buy online? thanks!

dbchan
10-16-2011, 11:54 AM
You can get pink foam and expanding foam at hardware stores likes lowes or home depot. I've never had the pleasure of working with pink foam since no one local carries it but i've worked with expanding foam plenty. I would say make sure you have a pair latex gloves for spraying it on, get some acetone for clean up (the straw will need to be cleaned, as well as anything it gets on) and make sure you do it in an area you don't care about. I managed to get it on my TV once, I don't know how!

Carving should be done over a trashbag or a put down something you can just gather up and toss later- depending on the size of the prop, you can end up with alot of shavings. I just carve mine with a box cutter.

I can't lie, it's pretty fun. Something about spraying it and watching it expand really fascinates me ^^'

Pazuzu
10-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I do not usually see things like that on costumes at all, but it is a very important aspect of the tier imo. I have looked at things like plastic jewels, but have never found the correct size, shape or color. I was considering Halloween-esque lights, but have no idea where to begin with finding those, designing a "power" source for those lights inside the costume on top of what I am already doing, or even how they would look. I have some other ideas I am going to try, but I will ask you all before I dive in for your opinion. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to do this costume justice and have until next summer, but want to start sooner rather than later.

If you're willing to experiment with resin casting then you can try making sculpts of the shards, then molds, then casting them out of orange resin and embedding LED lights inside of them. You wouldn't need as many molds as there are gems since you can likely re-use the same shape for a lot of the shards.

Though, at that size, solid resin would get heavy. Might be possible to slush-cast the gems so they're hollow inside... I don't think I've seen that done before though, so I'm not 100% on whether it will work.

Spiritwalker
10-16-2011, 04:40 PM
If you're willing to experiment with resin casting then you can try making sculpts of the shards, then molds, then casting them out of orange resin and embedding LED lights inside of them. You wouldn't need as many molds as there are gems since you can likely re-use the same shape for a lot of the shards.

Though, at that size, solid resin would get heavy. Might be possible to slush-cast the gems so they're hollow inside... I don't think I've seen that done before though, so I'm not 100% on whether it will work.

That is an idea I did not think of actually, thank you for that. I was looking at resin but stopped because I thought that large of a hunk might weigh too much for the rest of the costume to support correctly (not to mention a solid accidental sideswipe while walking around could be bad, and my poor shoulders).

Your idea reminds me of that commercial they show sometimes on T.V. with that cake pan that makes a hollow cake so you can fill it with whatever. In theory I should be able to put something in the resin on top to make that space before it hardens. It might not even have to be heavy, just heat resistant, like silicon or something. I might even be able to find some type of natural mold like the paint palettes in the video so I can go straight to the resin.

Thanks again, I'll post updates on it when I find something I like.

Synariel
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM
This. Also, I would think that you would need to make two-part or possibly even matrix molds for each respective gem for them to not weigh a ton and use an inordinate amount of (usually expensive) material. If moldmaking and casting interest you, I would start out by researching 2-part molds, and making those for the smaller gems before considering moving on to matrix molds, which are considerably more complex, for the larger gems. Matrix molds save a TON of material in the long run, if you're willing to invest the time they take to learn and make.

Spiritwalker
10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
This. Also, I would think that you would need to make two-part or possibly even matrix molds for each respective gem for them to not weigh a ton and use an inordinate amount of (usually expensive) material. If moldmaking and casting interest you, I would start out by researching 2-part molds, and making those for the smaller gems before considering moving on to matrix molds, which are considerably more complex, for the larger gems. Matrix molds save a TON of material in the long run, if you're willing to invest the time they take to learn and make.

Thanks, and I am willing to invest as much time as I have available. As I said, I want to do this costume justice. It always seems to be the shoulders (or something in them in this case) that are the biggest thing to tackle with WoW tier sets, but if done right and the rest of the costume isn't neglected, few things can compare imo.

Edit: I actually obtained some things I was not expecting at all that might work in addition to the aforementioned matrix mold. I will try both, I think I have time.

Nozze
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Small dilemma, also cross-posted to the cosplay group on Facebook. Hopefully someone sees this before the end of tomorrow and can help me out. >_<

I'm using EVA Foam for my medic, and I got the best shape I could've ever gotten for the shoulders by heating up the foam with my heat gun, and then shoving it into a metal baking/popcorn bowl. Immediately after, I shock-freeze it by sticking it in the freezer and leave it in there as an attempt to permanently change the molecules (FOR SCIENCE!)

Problem: once outside of the freezer long enough to have a coat of paint applied, they lose shape. Anyway I can fix this? At this point my best guess is hoping that when they're attached via elastic etc that it brings the shape back.

Oreha
10-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Er so it seems like this would be the correct thread to post in. I'm looking for assistance or ideas on how to make the acessories for a female draenei cosplay... I want to do it for christmas wearing the winter veil costume and then later at a convention in a feminized version of the ruthless gladiator pvp set (mage). Its a surprise for my boyfriend... But I need to figure out 1) hooves. I actually know how i want to do it, but dont know how to go about it. see i have these 8" high heels with a platform front... i will be removing the heel and wearing a leg warmer but i want to make a more detailed hoove to put on the front of the shoe to make them look more realistic (since the platform front is just plain flat black). 2) the purple tail, pointed ear covers, and 'tentacles' that come from behind the ears. i have no experience making that sort of thing so i really dont know how id do it. 3) the most important thing... the horns >.< . She has the ram-like twisted horns with pigtails... I dont know how to make this sort of thing at all, and since i will be using my real hair and not a wig they need to be able to stay on my head without shifting or pulling my hair. (my hair will be pretty weak by the time i do this... my hair is light blonde now and it will be bleached white for this cosplay.)

Cjiadon
10-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Er so it seems like this would be the correct thread to post in. I'm looking for assistance or ideas on how to make the acessories for a female draenei cosplay... I want to do it for christmas wearing the winter veil costume and then later at a convention in a feminized version of the ruthless gladiator pvp set (mage). Its a surprise for my boyfriend... But I need to figure out 1) hooves. I actually know how i want to do it, but dont know how to go about it. see i have these 8" high heels with a platform front... i will be removing the heel and wearing a leg warmer but i want to make a more detailed hoove to put on the front of the shoe to make them look more realistic (since the platform front is just plain flat black). 2) the purple tail, pointed ear covers, and 'tentacles' that come from behind the ears. i have no experience making that sort of thing so i really dont know how id do it. 3) the most important thing... the horns >.< . She has the ram-like twisted horns with pigtails... I dont know how to make this sort of thing at all, and since i will be using my real hair and not a wig they need to be able to stay on my head without shifting or pulling my hair. (my hair will be pretty weak by the time i do this... my hair is light blonde now and it will be bleached white for this cosplay.)

Do a member search on the name Aleze. She has a hoof gallery where she talks about how she made hers. As for your hair, please don't bleach it to white. Its quite unnecessarily damaging. If you want white, gently bleach with a low volume developer such as 20% to a pale blonde like the inside of a banana. Then you can use a toner and/or toning shampoo to get to white. :)

Aleze
10-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Oreha:
Because of the time of year, you might be able to easily buy the horns you need in a Halloween store. Look for ones that are light-weight. If not, then you should make them out of paperclay. Go and buy an elastic headband. Make holes that go through the base of the horns from one side of the base to the other. String the headband through the horns. Attach your tentacles to the headband behind your ears.

For the tentacles, I used rolled spandex and I was very happy with it. I spraypainted the spandex, then I pulled on it which caused it to roll. Then I glued the edges using Hard as Nails or Beats the Nail glue. But you can probably just use a standard white glue. You can buy beads and spray paint them gold using Rustoleum. Or you can make your own beads out of Sculpey (Super Sculpey recommended) and spray paint them with Rustoleum.

For the ears, I made my own covers with Sculpey. But this requires more than a little bit of sculpting ability. You might consider simply buying your ear covers. There are some nice ones out there: http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elf_ears You should probably get some ear cuffs too just to cover the transition since it's pretty hard to get it perfect with make-up. Sculpey ear: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3084626/

Here's about all I have to say about hooves: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/162790/
If you plan to walk or stand much in your hooves at all, it's important that they have a fairly solid sole, not one that can be flexed at the arch. Because, once you take the heel off, you are going to be relying on that sole to keep your heel up in the air. If you have a flexible sole, you'll be relying on your calf muscle exclusively and will fatigue quickly. If your shoes do have a flexible sole, you can still use them, but you should consider reinforcing them with metal as I have shown in the pics, even if it's just the little low ones. As you can see, I like to flush out the silhouette of the foot and hoof with cardboard covered in leather. Although for my last pair: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2981607/ I also sculpted with plastic bags covered in tape to get the shape that I wanted. But the material that you choose to use is pretty irrelevant as long as you keep it light.

Oreha
10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
As for your hair, please don't bleach it to white. Its quite unnecessarily damaging. If you want white, gently bleach with a low volume developer such as 20% to a pale blonde like the inside of a banana. Then you can use a toner and/or toning shampoo to get to white. :)

My hair is already almost white. Its about the color of the inside of a banana. >.> My icon picture is a year and a half old. I started removing the black dye in january, but i made a mistake and left the bleach in too long during the most recent bleaching (it was my 4th lift and I used 20 volume -I used 40 on the first two, 30 on the third, and then 20 to reduce the damage as i continue conditioning treatments-, which was a month and a half ago... >_> I... got distracted watching a movie... yeh...) and lost several inches of hair (the ends got so thin that i just cut them off). So Im waiting until very close to xmas to continue working to white, and since my hair is somewhat short ill be using white extensions for the pigtails. Ive been dying and bleaching my hair since I was 12 and I did white a few years ago, but immediately put pink dye over it and dyed it burgandy when that started to come out... But even aside from my desire to cosplay a draenei i was planning to have white hair.

Oreha
10-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Oreha:
Because of the time of year, you might be able to easily buy the horns you need in a Halloween store. Look for ones that are light-weight. If not, then you should make them out of paperclay. Go and buy an elastic headband. Make holes that go through the base of the horns from one side of the base to the other. String the headband through the horns. Attach your tentacles to the headband behind your ears.

For the tentacles, I used rolled spandex and I was very happy with it. I spraypainted the spandex, then I pulled on it which caused it to roll. Then I glued the edges using Hard as Nails or Beats the Nail glue. But you can probably just use a standard white glue. You can buy beads and spray paint them gold using Rustoleum. Or you can make your own beads out of Sculpey (Super Sculpey recommended) and spray paint them with Rustoleum.

For the ears, I made my own covers with Sculpey. But this requires more than a little bit of sculpting ability. You might consider simply buying your ear covers. There are some nice ones out there: http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elf_ears You should probably get some ear cuffs too just to cover the transition since it's pretty hard to get it perfect with make-up. Sculpey ear: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3084626/

Here's about all I have to say about hooves: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/162790/
If you plan to walk or stand much in your hooves at all, it's important that they have a fairly solid sole, not one that can be flexed at the arch. Because, once you take the heel off, you are going to be relying on that sole to keep your heel up in the air. If you have a flexible sole, you'll be relying on your calf muscle exclusively and will fatigue quickly. If your shoes do have a flexible sole, you can still use them, but you should consider reinforcing them with metal as I have shown in the pics, even if it's just the little low ones. As you can see, I like to flush out the silhouette of the foot and hoof with cardboard covered in leather. Although for my last pair: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2981607/ I also sculpted with plastic bags covered in tape to get the shape that I wanted. But the material that you choose to use is pretty irrelevant as long as you keep it light.

=O Thank you. The hoove tutorial helps a lot. Its actually a lot better than i was planning to do it, because I am rather short (well, 5'4... top of short and bottom of average) and was worried about how to maximize the height since I need to stand taller than my boyfriend who is 5'9/5'10 ish.

Aleze
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
=O Thank you. The hoove tutorial helps a lot. Its actually a lot better than i was planning to do it, because I am rather short (well, 5'4... top of short and bottom of average) and was worried about how to maximize the height since I need to stand taller than my boyfriend who is 5'9/5'10 ish.
If you're thinking of doing the high hooves now, then I have some additional warnings and advice. The high ones are not for walking around in much and only work on hard, even surfaces. Even carpet may be impassable. And you want to make sure that the base is wide enough. Mine had a 4" base. But if you find that you can't balance in them, you will need to either make the base wider, or make the stilt shorter. Get your basic structure done well ahead of time so that you can try them out and make whatever adjustments you need to.

Oh, and the heels on boots are difficult to get off. All of them have these metal cores in them that connect to the sole of the shoe. You can lift up the insole and try to pry the metal piece out with some pliers. Or (and this is the time-consuming option) you can cut through it with a jewelry saw. But regular saws that aren't meant to cut through metal won't work. All shoes are made slightly different, so your difficulty in getting the heel off is going to depend also on how the shoe is built.

Oreha
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
If you're thinking of doing the high hooves now, then I have some additional warnings and advice. The high ones are not for walking around in much and only work on hard, even surfaces. Even carpet may be impassable. And you want to make sure that the base is wide enough. Mine had a 4" base. But if you find that you can't balance in them, you will need to either make the base wider, or make the stilt shorter. Get your basic structure done well ahead of time so that you can try them out and make whatever adjustments you need to.

Oh, and the heels on boots are difficult to get off. All of them have these metal cores in them that connect to the sole of the shoe. You can lift up the insole and try to pry the metal piece out with some pliers. Or (and this is the time-consuming option) you can cut through it with a jewelry saw. But regular saws that aren't meant to cut through metal won't work. All shoes are made slightly different, so your difficulty in getting the heel off is going to depend also on how the shoe is built.

My dad is a steel worker, so he has a lot of equimpment for cutting metal etc. Im worried about asking him to help though... >_> knowing him he might break the shoe entirely. But I was also thinking alternatively of possibly using the heel and also extending it to match the front, then making an extra accesory to the costume to hang over the back and cover the heel to make it less obvious its there... Or modifying a pair of 4" straight platforms rather than heels. (with the xmas costume it would probably be a red satin peice with white faux fur at the top, and with the ruthless gladiator it probably wouldnt matter as much since that features a long skirt.) Since I definitely want them as high as possible, but i will need to walk around in them and even though I have good balence on my toes i can picture hurting myself walking around in them too long putting strain on my calves... if not loosing my balence before that.

Syrinx
11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
so, i'm still trying to decide what i want to do for blizzcon 2012, but i'm about 85% sure i want to make a demon hunter costume for the release of diablo 3. problem is... i've never made armor pieces before. i've seen some tutorials here and there, but i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some especially good tutorials. i would also really appreciate any advice from those of you with experience in this area. so far, most of my costumes have been pretty simple designs (mostly cutesy versions of video game characters) i'm excited and.. not gonna lie very nervous about the idea of trying something a bit more serious and involved. thanks for whatever help you guys can give me!! <3

Darazan
11-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about how to make moving wings (preferably ones that extend out and fold in). I'm working on making a female demonform costume. Here's a link to the design I'm going for:

http://darazan.deviantart.com/art/Female-Demonform-Redesign-259403153

I've seen a lot of different wing tutorials, but most of them are feathered wings based on bird wings, and I really don't know how to adapt them to being based off of a more bat-winged structure. I've seen Saeru's tutorial on wings on here, and I just don't know how helpful it would be for the kind of wings I want to make.

Also, does any one have any ideas on how to make the hooves like Aleze does, but with a wider base? Would it be constructed the same way, or would the support system be different? I'd like the ones I make to be fairly stable and easy to walk in.

Thanks!

Aleze
11-03-2011, 03:09 PM
My kerrigan wings extend. There's a hinge at the top and then strings that go over those. The strings come out at the base of the wings and extend the wings when pulled. There's probably a better way to do it though since mine were hard to pull, but your wings are small, so that may make it easier.

If you want better balance for the stilts, just use a piece of wood or something at the bottom that extends back toward your heel. The further you get toward your heel, the more they will balance like regular high heels.

Darazan
11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
My kerrigan wings extend. There's a hinge at the top and then strings that go over those. The strings come out at the base of the wings and extend the wings when pulled. There's probably a better way to do it though since mine were hard to pull, but your wings are small, so that may make it easier.

Do you have a diagram or in progress shots of how the wings work?

Aleze
11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Here's a diagram:
http://andsewingishalfthebattle.com/images/stories/wings/wingframe.jpg

Except my string went thought the bottom pipe as well.

Darazan
11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Aleze: Thanks for the diagram! How did you attach the wings to your costume?

Aleze
11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I had kinda a strange attachment method because I didn't want a harness. I'm not gonna recommend it. It would be best to get a harness or adapt an old backpack.

Athielian
11-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Halp!!!

Failed attempt at the bracers is fail.

You can see the pattern on the right, basically 3 layers of EVA foam(About an inch and a half thick). I couldn't get it to fully curve and form around my arm, maybe too much foam thickness?

I felt it had the right bulkiness and thickness but I don't know how to form it right or if there is a simpler better way?

Anyone have experience making fully closed bracers? My wizard one was two pieces and you could see the seam...I am aiming for my next set of bracers to be more natural looking.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a157/phantomile/PropOfS0id3/DSCF0562.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a157/phantomile/PropOfS0id3/T10.jpg

dbchan
11-13-2011, 07:26 PM
I've never worked with EVA foam myself but from what I've read it needs alot of heat to take shape. Like, bake it in an oven kind of heat. What are you using to heat it?

piiiiimp little statues in the background! I have a shelf like that.

Athielian
11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
I used use my stove...lol. I am poor and can't afford a heat gun. I formed my chest and thigh armor that way. If I try putting it in the oven how long should it be in there? EVA foam over my stove singes and starts to melt in seconds...I think the main reason I have trouble shaping them is since it 3 layers thick.

Pazuzu
11-13-2011, 08:10 PM
What if you heat-curved each layer individually, and then stuck them all together?

Nozze
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Heat them and shape them individually, attach them together, then heat shape it again. When I baked my chest piece for the medic, I had the oven set to 200 degrees and let it sit in there for about 2-5 minutes but I definitely kept a very close watch on it.

I know you said you don't have money, but a heat gun is also a dream for someone working with EVA foam.

Athielian
11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Nozzle. I'll try that out. I do plan to get a heat gun eventually too.

thoetmosis
11-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey guys,
I have a question regarding the construction of these wings:
http://www.wowhead.com/item=32018
For the construction i'll be using the cardboard + expanding foam technique etc. (and afterwards giving them ofc a paint job)
But what would be the best method for the construction of these wings ?

Things like Wonderflex with a cardboard/insulation sheet base have crossed my mind, but i'm not really sure what would be the best in this case.
Been also wondering if there would be a way to make the wings detachable from the shoulders (would be easier for transportation etc) ?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Irarenovo
11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
there's a forum in the blizz section called Maiev where we were talking about shoulder wings

for hers she used a block of wonderflex to go into her shoulder and keep it up.. for my bf's maiev [dont have a picture up yet :( ] I used a rectangular piece of wood, glued to the inside of the wing and cut a hole in the shoulder to shove it in.. worked fairly well.. and my shoulders were paper mache & vinyl

thoetmosis
11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
will make sure to check it out then !! thx :)

Dead Cosplay
11-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm going to ask here... it seems fitting and I'm to tired of waiting for a mod to accept a simple form.

I am working on Warcraft III verson of Ranger General Sylvanas Windrunner. NOT Banshee Queen Sylvanas Windrunner. I know some people do get the two versions of her confused. Like in this picture. (http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/f/f5/Sylvanas_Windrunner_High_Elf_by_Lost_In_Concept.jp g) That is not what I am looking for. That is just a someone got bored and recolored her current model in game.

What I am looking for are better shots of her other then this picture of her looking over her shoulder, (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071114225253/wowwiki/images/8/88/Sylvannas_LotH.JPG) and the picture of her slashing at scourge. (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101015200510/wowwiki/images/5/50/Sylvanashelf.jpg)

It would help out a ton when making her gloves and boots, along with her shoulders. I know in the above pictures, you can see it... but I'm not 100% sure about them.
I do currently have the shirt done for the most part and was hoping if anyone else have any better pictures of this particular version of Sylavanas? At least enough to see the shoulders, gloves, and boots?

Falinadin
11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Those screen shots are from the Lament of the Highborne cinematic, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXhx40DcU6Y
You can see a bit more of her in that slashing-at-the-undead scene.
I couldn't find any pictures of her outside of the cinematic though :/

Skymone
02-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Hey guys, loads of interesting things in this thread!
Do any of you have some advice on how I can make the top of this outfit:
http://skymone.dk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Capture2.png
http://skymone.dk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Capture3.png

I've already tried covering up a bra in stretchy fabric... That looked horrible. Then I tried making a sort of triangular bra, but that looked horrible as well. I think first of all, my fabric choice is bad. I supposed I should use something none-stretchy, and actually, I have leather in the right colour, but no idea how to work with this.
I'm thinking it will be two-part, a green/yellowish tight, short t-shirt underneath for the base. And then somehow the brown parts on top.
I have seen 1 other person do this cosplay, and that turned out really good (she's Birdyface here on Cosplay, if you want to see it). I don't want to copy her, though, and I also wanted to make mine a bit more like the reference, so I would be covered a bit more (mostly because I am always really cold, lol)

Anyways, to sum it up: Anyone have an idea how to make the brown part of the top, preferably with leather? And if so, any links to patterns or work process descriptions are very much appreciated!

led103
04-05-2012, 04:05 PM
haha I was just asking this. Yesterday I drove 2 hours to sacramento to go to a store that sold them in person, and I will say that the in person colors match the online charts only so-so. But I got to play around with it for a while, and it seems like good quality stuff that won't crack, so I'm happy.
In the end I got multiple colors that I'm going to have to mix to get what I want.

I looked at that R27 in the store, it's pretty close to that color, but perhaps just teeny tiny more blue-hinted, rather than red. It's a fairly dark purple too. Maybe the store I went to had a limited sample supply, but I ended up going with http://www.kryolan.com/images/colors/t6vv0ehp5face_body_painting_1141_silver_lilac.jpg (which is lighter and a bit more blue hinted in person) and I'm going to mix it with a bit of the R27 to try to get this look: http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/D/DarkAngel42/1087049135_night_elf.jpeg
We'll see how it goes once my paints come in (had to order them, she didn't have the R27 in stock).
My suggestion is to really try and find them in person, but if you can't then they should be ok to order online, but the colors maybe a bit off.
Hope that helped!

I hope that you next time provide more information more helpful suggestion... it's really pretty.. Thanks:)

Felseed
04-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Got a question about transparent dyes for casting resin gems - the red looks light pink. How would I go about making it more crimson?

~Felseed~

Drusi
05-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Where can i buy or how can i craft by myself a nice night elven ears? And how to glue it to my face. Help please :D

Naizzers
07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
I made a Wonder Woman breastplate and belt from craft foam and sealed it with a layer of fabric followed by a couple of layers of fabric/white glue mix.
I need to attach it to a corset made of satin. I tried using velcro but it refuses to stick and they're too thick to sew through, especially since I don't want to see the stitching and I really don't sew very well.
I want to just glue it directly to the corset and I was wondering what the best glue for that would be? I've read that E6000 is great for gluing craft foam to fabric but would it still work with the fabric backing? This is my first time crafting anything so I'm really ignorant about this stuff. I need it to stay on and hopefully never come off, or at least stay on for the whole day of walking around and sitting.