PDA

View Full Version : Need help with katara (avatar the last airbender)

kimiboo
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I cant find a good/ok place to buy all the stuff I need so I just plan on making the rob and shoes so anyone have any tips or tricks? thank you so much for your time.

harmonyisarine
08-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Tips or tricks like what? Are you looking for fabric choices, construction techniques, or something else entirely? I just finished an Avatar cosplay where I went as Katara, so I might be able to help. Also, which outfit? Her hemline and shoes change in each season, even if you aren't talking about the Fire Nation outfit.

kimiboo
08-08-2010, 12:29 PM
i like the 2nd season outfit better. what fabric would be best and i cant really find a good enough pic to give me every detail i need but I'm still looking and i also want shoes or i will make shoes covers with every detail

harmonyisarine
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
For the second season outfit, the best cloths would be a wool suiting for the tunic and linen for the pants. If you don't want to use wool, you could also use linen for the tunic. It was clothes gotten from the Northern Water Tribe, but they might have used a different cloth since she was heading to warmer areas. You could use a cotton, but I'd advise against it. Her clothes hang too heavy for that. And while linen can get expensive (though if you shop at Jo-Ann's and have a coupon, it becomes very reasonable), you can get linen look-like cloth. It's not quite the same texture, but it's still good. I used the wool suiting for my tunic, and it worked really really well. It did get a bit hot during Otakon, but it was never overly opressing, and I was far more comfortable than our Zuko in his royal robes. Do wear a tank-top underneath if you use wool, though, it can get slightly itchy (but not as bad as I had imagined).

You may have to dye cloth, especially if you go with the wool suiting or 100% linen. I used RIT dyes in royal blue (tunic) and navy blue (pants). I had never dyed before and could only use the basin method, but the colors came out pretty much perfect. I would recommend using a dye fixative right after you finish the garment. I did not, and then I fell in a creek. The tunic is now distinctly faded.

I actually had a hard time with her shoes. Sometimes it looks like a two colored boot, and sometimes it looks like a little leather slipper-shoe with a sock. I ended up going the second route, and wore white tabi (Japanese socks, though any very thin white sock would have worked) and buying a pair of brown leather-like ballet flats. I think it worked well. If you disagree, I'm hoping to have a boot-making tutorial up soon, but that method is for actual leather boots so you'd need to buy leather (not the cheapest option) and make sure you sewing machine could handle it.

Hope that helped! You can look at my costume to see how the wool and linen option worked out. (My tunic is 3rd season without the sleeves, my pants are second season, and the shirt must be 1st season since she didn't have a shirt in the others)

kimiboo
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
no thats whhat i was thinking as well about the shoes thanks =) great minds do think alike u have been a great deal of help to me thank you so much

harmonyisarine
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
No problem, I hope everything works out. ^_^