PDA

View Full Version : zuko's hair...

lyraparry11
08-04-2010, 02:49 AM
zuko is one of my absolute favorite characters, and the first I've ever been a fangirl of, so I really want to cosplay (crossplay) him. I have long dark brown hair that I don't want to cut, and I'm looking to do this cosplay without a wig. I have some ideas and I'd just like some opinions on them or if someone has other ideas that'd be great as well.

idea 1: go as zuko in his blue spirit gear. pretty self explanatory, the hood hides my hair. but should I also do the scar on my eye (I'm thinking costume makeup for that?) or is it not worth it because the mask covers my face? I'd probably take the mask off sometimes...

idea 2: go as zuko in one of his normal outfits from season one, when he had the topknot/ponytail thingy and otherwise shaved head. I could do this by using my hair for the tail thingy and then cutting a hole in a bald cap for the tail, so the rest of my head looks bald.

idea 3: go as zuko when he's younger and has a full head of hair in a ponytail and no scar. this is my least favorite of the three ideas, but I'll throw it out there anyways.

any other ideas? suggestions? improvements?
thank you in advance

harmonyisarine
08-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm not a huge fan of bald caps (no idea why... ^_^;;) where I am a huge fan of the Blue Spirit, so I'd say go with idea 1. If you do end up going with that idea, I'd say put the scar on. It's always neat to see someone take off a covering item and see the attention to detail beneath. As for how to do the scar, my friend (Altrus) used unflavored cooking gelatin and then we put red/brown loose powder make-up over it when it was just barely tacky. It looked really awesome, and you can PM him for the details of the technique.

lyraparry11
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
hmm, I've heard of the gelatin thing. is it just painted on like normal makeup or is it very complicated? I'll definetly look into it.

ultimately, I do feel like idea 1 is the strongest, plus you never see any blue spirit cosplayers, and it's an easy enough costume. idea 2 is very tempting though, because I've never seen a "bald" zuko. I might do an experiment and have a baldcap under my blue spirit hood...hmm...lots to ponder :D

StrawberrySiren
08-05-2010, 11:52 PM
As the Painted Lady, I say go with the Blue Spirit idea. I went to Otakon, which is the largest con on the east coast, and there was not one Blue Spirit!

harmonyisarine
08-07-2010, 12:53 AM
There was one Blue Spirit at Otakon, but sadly he could only do the cosplay on Friday. And the gelatin thing was really easy. You mix a packet of knox gelatin into a small amount of hot water (PM Altrus and tell him I sent you, or google for the ratio), and spread it on your face as soon as it's cool enough to do so. It can even go in the eyebrow, it will rinse out with warm water. After it gets to the point where it will still stick to your finger but it won't pull off when you move your hand, you put hte loose powder on. I helped with this, but I think one person could manage if they practiced.

It will harden throughout the day, but our scars lasted the entire day as long as Altrus kept from making excessive expressions. At the end of the day he'd just peel the entire thing off and rinse off what was stuck on (and the stuff on his eyebrow).

And remember, put the scar on the correct side! First time we did this, Altrus came out with the gelatin put on perfectly... on the wrong side. We hadn't colored it, so it was just a fun mistake, but I could see this becoming a problem if it isn't noticed early.

lyraparry11
08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
thank you! ^.^ and yup, scars on the left eye...I've seen too many zuko cosplayers mess that one up lol

sukimba
08-22-2010, 09:39 PM
A bit of a late response.. But you can always do season 3 zuko in his armor(when he returns home), since his hair is in a top knot. Let me tell you, it's near impossible to do a good top knot with short hair, so your long hair would be an advantage here.

ChocoCloud
09-22-2010, 12:38 AM
A bit of a late response.. But you can always do season 3 zuko in his armor(when he returns home), since his hair is in a top knot. Let me tell you, it's near impossible to do a good top knot with short hair, so your long hair would be an advantage here.

Can I ask you for advice on how to do a top knot? I'm trying to do Azula next year, and I have no idea how to make my top knot look nice and neat.

NoelleSisneros
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM
You could go as Fire Lord Zuko, he had his hair up in a ponytail. It'd be a pretty impressive costume. If not, then why not Zuko once he'd gone back to the Fire Nation? Not as hard as Fire Lord Zuko, but you could still work the ponytail.

StrawberrySiren
12-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Can I ask you for advice on how to do a top knot? I'm trying to do Azula next year, and I have no idea how to make my top knot look nice and neat.

If you still need it, I did a top not for the God-awful movie premier. All I did was put my hair up into a high ponytail, then put it in another ponytail but only pull it through about halfway or so, if that makes any sense. Any extra hair I wrapped around the knot and pinned it in place. Then I just wrapped the base with a ribbon.