PDA

View Full Version : Dark magician armor help

GoddessRaven
09-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Hiya everyone I am in need of some tips for dark magician armor, how to make it. I have some ideas but I was wondering if ya'll have any ideas that could help me
IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP! ^^'

daguru
09-26-2003, 11:09 PM
you mean dark majician girl from yu-gi-oh? well, yes or no, you need to post a couple pics for us to get an idea of your goal.

CapsuleCorp
09-26-2003, 11:44 PM
I've been pondering the Dark Magician lately, as a parody costume for a Lord of the Rings LARP (can you picture Dark Magician Gandalf? HEE!). I thought the shoulders would be better off done not so much as armor, hard, but fabric stiffened to stand up like that. Any armor, even plastic, would be heavy, and you'd have to cover it with fabric or do a superiffic paint job to make sure it wasn't shiny. There are ways to form fabric into stiff plates like that, including super heavy-duty interfacing, certain fabric types, etc. You'd have a little more control over the creation of the shoulders if it was fabric as opposed to plastic armor.

If I ponder it more, I might be able to speak more specifically. :)

GoddessRaven
09-27-2003, 10:13 PM
SORRY ALL! I'm a lousy thread maker I meant the dark magician himself with the body armor and like the hat you know? I have an idea but I wanted to hear others opinions

kdthompson
09-28-2003, 01:52 PM
It's alright...don't feel bad...here, these two links 'll probably be your best bet for making any kind of armor...

I haven't tried this one yet myself, but from what I've seen it works magic (no pun intended) I plan to use this one to make several sets of armor before the upcoming cons next year...
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html
(I suggest you use this , unless you don't have money for all the plastic and craft foam, but this one will look the best)

This one, interestingly enough, if from a LotR costume making site. I've used it to make props before... Works well when done correctly, but it won't look quite as good.
http://alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Armor/ArmorCheats.htm#Cardboard_duct_tape
(this one is a bit cheeper, or at least it was for me since I keep a constant supply of boxes in the house for card board, but it gets the job done as long as you have the hardening agent for the bondo fiberglass resin; I managed to misplace it when I coated the buster sword I made for my Cloud costume, and the stuff I used it on keeps melting...)

But since I can't sew and work better with creating stuff, I'd definately go with the armor over the fabric... espeically since you can shape the plastic with a curling iron or a blow dryer or make it pliable in the oven and curve it easer than you can fabric, then attach the foam of whatever color (and if that color of foam doesn't exsist, then you just put another layer of plastic over it then prime and paint it)

But then again, you're talking to an artist and I'm pretty good at that kind of thing...so don't take my word for it...

GoddessRaven
09-28-2003, 04:53 PM
WOW!!!!!!! Thanks Dar-Dar!! That's just to show how lazy Iam by not looking for armor websites...im sure the net's crawling with them and I am not even smart enough to look hee hee.... ^^'

CapsuleCorp
09-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Well, there's not as many as you think. Though, the Amethyst Angel site is the most comprehensive and the one a lot of people here prefer to use.

I still like the fabric route, but it totally depends on where your skills are. If you're better at construction and building like Dar-Dar, go for the hard armor, but if you're a better sewer than builder like me, there are definitely ways to do it with fabric.

GoddessRaven
09-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone you have no idea how much glee I am filled with lol ^_^

kdthompson
09-29-2003, 10:52 PM
No problem...glad I could be of help... ^__^

Mizuki Kaneko
04-10-2011, 05:19 PM
im planning to make the dark magician too, but my problem is finding the material, i know how to make it but that material to make it is hard to find, but I wish you luck!

Monniemoo
04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't have a tutorial on hand, but I know it's quite possible to make it with cardboard, which would be much cheaper and easier to find. You could then cover the cardboard with some sort of plastic glaze- I know there's a kind often used with Wonderflex (http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/wonderflex/), also a common substance used to make armor- and then spraypaint it, or even just cover it with duct tape instead of using the glaze.

daguru
04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Wow, Uber 91-month dead-thread revival. A NEW RECORD!

Wonderflex FAQ - http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/tutorials/wonderflexfaq