PDA

View Full Version : Gals who Crossplay in RL

Scortia
09-26-2003, 08:27 PM
I've always liked guys clothing... I think I belonged in the 80s style where women made men's clothing look hella sexy. My mom's always like "you dress like that and people are going to think you're a dyke." ^^;;;; And then, I gave everyone a bigger shock today when I got my hair cut uber-short... I think it's sort of amusing... I look kinda like I have Gackt hair now. o.O;; (gotta make sure it isn't cut that short next time or it'll be too short to cosplay Ryuichi ^^;; ) It just feels the most comfortable to me short like this... and up until this summer it's always been waist-length or longer... am I the only person who just likes the sense of androgeny? I mean, beautiful guys are wonderful too, aren't they. *_* Feeling like a mix of masculine and feminine just seems so interesting... erm, not in the sense of a sex change or anything creepy like that. ^^;;

-Scortia
Yay,... I'm being called "son" and a "fourteen-year-old boy" now ^^;;;;;

Cait
09-26-2003, 08:35 PM
You're quite a handsome "boy", actually. ^_^ Nothing wrong with that.

Hitori
09-26-2003, 08:46 PM
I don't know about "crossplay irl" but in general, I dress and look veri androgynous. Though I love mi hair waaaaaaay too much to cut it. I realli like the sense of androgeny, on miself and others. I used to shop soley in the guys department, they're so comfy. I don't realli animore, I have the whole "ega" thing going on... but it still gives the sense of androgeny.

Scortia
09-26-2003, 08:55 PM
You're quite a handsome "boy", actually. ^_^ Nothing wrong with that.

lol... thanks for that...*short hair fluff* I'd love to achieve that "mistaken sex" situation during crossplay some day. It'd be amusing... but I think a girly figure sorta makes that impossible. ~_~ Lucky gals with no hips and broad shoulders. ^^;; Well, suppose that's why bishounen exist. ^o^ Some of them are girlier than any of us gals are. ;P

Cait
09-26-2003, 11:51 PM
I'd love to achieve that "mistaken sex" situation during crossplay some day. It'd be amusing... but I think a girly figure sorta makes that impossible. ~_~ Lucky gals with no hips and broad shoulders. ^^;;

I hear ya, brother! I have a few friends who get that all the time. They just enjoy it so much! I don't even have that kind of hair/face so my crossplay is thus far just sad. *weeps* I will keep trying!

I'm serious, though! It might be the camera angle, but you honestly are a nice looking boy in that picture! *applaudes* Sorry, just really impressed.

SilverFox
09-27-2003, 12:01 AM
I really dig guy's clothes too and I've always liked men's clothes more than women's clothes for the most part.

I'm actually attending Yaoi-con this year and I'll be crossplaying as Laguna from FFVIII and maybe Sephiroth from FFVII if I can get the coat right... ^^;;;

But aside from cons, I've definitely crossdressed in men's clothes and I like it a lot. Although yeah, I agree that with a feminine figure, it's sorta difficult sometimes. Hee... I sometimes wish I had a more androgynous figure.

So the answer is yes... I do crossplay in RL. ^_^

And at cons! Wheee!

Karisu-sama
09-27-2003, 02:03 AM
I prefer to wear androgynous clothing in styles suitable for either a woman or a man, but that's it. I've got hips, boobs & such, and unless I'm crossplaying in a costume, I'm not trying to hide that. I buy clothes that fit me, which mostly means women's dept, especially for pants. (Shirts are not the problem - I'd buy men's shirts I like.) I buy women's jeans, for instance, because said hips make men's-cut jeans look like crap on my figure, and I like to look good.

engrish
09-27-2003, 12:40 PM
My sister used to buy men's clothes a lot. I asked her why and she said, "because they're cheaper." :bigtu: That was back in the days when she didn't have much money, now that she makes 6 figures I'm not sure if she does that anymore.

My mom used to tell my sister "If you keep on dressing like that how will you ever expect to get married?" ha ha she used to get more dates then my other 2 sisters combined!

Anyways if I ever become a parent I'd much rather have to deal with a daughter that dresses too much like a man rather then a daughter that dresses like a "lady of the nite". :skidude2:

Sephiroth-chan
09-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Sometimes we can't help what we wear. Because of my Chibi physique and lack of awe inspiring endowments, I'm pretty much banned from the Women's sections. Petite is a complete LIE to pad the egos of normal sized women to think they're smaller, and I'll be damned in a Pokeball before I shop in the little girls section. Too sickeningly cheerful. Hence, my need to shop...not in the men's section...but in the lil boys.

More than once I've gotten WEIRD looks from people who praise me on the pants I wear and ask me my size. Somehow, they never anticipate 12 or 14 to be an answer. Also...I find that, like Engrish says, they're more inexpensive, and MUCH more durable. Not to mention, often, more comfortable.

It's so much fun to be mistaken for the opposite gender, though, there are times when a person takes me for a surprise. Hence, my encounter with a little boy when I was in my Buccaneer getup (which is nowhere remotely Western) with a group of other Houston Cosplayers doing Pirate garb for fun in a public place.

"Wow! You look so cool!"
"Why...thank ye, Lad!"
"You're an awesome looking Cowboy!"
*pause* "I think ye've mistaken me..."
"Oh! Sorry!"
"Happens all the time."
"You're an awesome looking Cowgirl!"
*longer pause* "I'm...a pirate."

-_- I wouldn't have mind the gender confusion if he'd at least gotten the genre remotely right.

ACXchan
09-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately the men's department *hardly* ever supplies the clothing styles I like for a decent price. Whenever I want to buy a 30s style article of clothing or a neoVictorian style jacket I always have to hit the women's department. The men's fashion industry just doesn't offer much variety for people who can't pay for Gucci ^ ^;; They don't even add buckles or bondage loops often without jacking the price up to $60. Therefore I tend to buy what fits, and I'm a 36C. I wouldn't say I crossplay IRL anyway because I don't think we should confine ourselves to the mentality that certain clothes *must* be worn by certain genders and to defy that rule is to crossplay. That's basically the same as acknowledging such a rule even exists, and I sure as hell do *not* acknowledge said rule XD

Clothes is clothes, who it's supposedly made for doesn't mean jack to me, it's a matter of how well it flatters you, regardless of your own gender.

Hotaru
09-28-2003, 01:16 AM
i hope this is the kind of response you're looking for, but in passing i could probably mistake you as a pretty boy. :p

i cut my hair pretty short too, not as short as yours but one of my uncles said "How does it feel to be one of the guys?" he pulls my horns everytime i see him. but it's all good.

i usually wear tshirts and jeans (albeit they's bellbottoms.) occassionally i'll wear a female t-shirt *shorter sleeves, tighter...* if my bf's around. don't want creepy people looking at me.

right now i'm wearing...a tshirt i got for free at otakon and pajama pants. it's grand

TsukiGuujin
09-28-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm very into the adrogynous thing.
Of course, I could never cut my hair again (I'm actually growing it out so my Duo costume will be more convincing! ^^) but I do understand what you mean.

At NDK, I'm not sure if anyone knew if I was male or female, and that's just fine with me.
Of course, I have that problem in real life sometimes, too. People don't always know, with me, long hair or not.

*shrug*
I don't know. I guess I always thought I make a prettier boy than I do girl, y'know?

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

sailor-moon
09-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Seiya gets mistaken for a 15 yrs old boy sometimes >:D its funny as all h*ll XD hahahah

::rolls::

Hikaru Tsuki
09-28-2003, 04:30 PM
I've always been more fond of the clothes available to guys, rather than girls. I hate skirts and dresses. I don't touch makeup and "pretty" jewelery doesn't appeal to me. My mom goes on and on about how I didn't turn out the way she wanted me to, but I really don't give a damn.

I've finally started buying my own clothes, to get away from all the bellbottoms and Tommy Girl shirts my mom has bought for me. Now I got my cargos, cool tanks and armwarmers. My mom hates it all, but I couldn't care less. My hair is short as well. I've been mistaken for a guy many times, mainly when I'm wearing a loose sweatshirt. But I really don't care, it doesn't offend me.

One of the things that bugs my mom the most about it all is she thinks it means I'm a lesbian, but she couldn't be further from the truth. That, and she feels guys won't be interested in me. Well, last time I checked, throughout my life, and especially after going "tom-boy", guys have always been interested in me. I've had my share of guys asking me out, even moreso than my friends (which actually surprises me). The way I see it, is the guys can relate better with me, I like the things guys typically like, so I meet more guys and talk to more. *shrugs*

I'm a tomboy and damn proud! ^^V

FujiHonda
09-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I dress strictly in the men's section. ^_^

ACXchan
09-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I was mistaken for a boy until I turned 12 and started "filling out" @D@; In cosplay I get a mixed response as to whether I make a convincing man or not but out in public I don't try to hide my curves because the binding would take too much unecessary effort. I generally stick to form-fitting or tight clothing because that's what I like, on both men and women so therefore myself. It's still "crossplaying IRL" because part of my wardrobe is from the men's department, but it's not the baggy look. The baggy look makes me appear frumpy ^ ^;;

Doesn't anyone like the tailored look XD?

Karisu-sama
09-28-2003, 09:57 PM
I generally stick to form-fitting or tight clothing because that's what I like, on both men and women so therefore myself.
Wai! Me too! I prefer form-fitting clothing. I'm extremely annoyed at how baggy men's styles have gotten. (I think guys in tight pants are HOT!)
Doesn't anyone like the tailored look XD?
Me! ^__^

Hitori
09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
ha ha, I *love* tailored clothes, I actually *have* to shop in the guys section because I have next to *no* curves. Realli, I can't wear girls pants without taking in the hips, mine are practically non-existant, and I almost don't have to strap when I crossdress I'm so small.
This doesn't realli bother mi 'cause I'm attracted to the androgynous look and thus dress like it as well.

As far as the baggi thing goes, that drives mi crazi, bagginess gets in the way and looks sloppi>.<

BIOJECT
09-29-2003, 12:00 AM
How is wearing pants and wearing masculine looking clothes crossplaying? Girls wear guys clothing all the time. Everytime they put on a pair of pants even if it is designed for a girl, it still is a guys clothing. I really don't think there is any real big impact when a girl tries to look like a guy. Usually people like myself will look at it and instantly accept it since we are so used to girls wearing pants anyways. Now when it comes to opposite with guys wearing skirts and things, everyone freaks out and spasms on the floor.

Hikaru Tsuki
09-29-2003, 09:13 AM
How is wearing pants and wearing masculine looking clothes crossplaying? Girls wear guys clothing all the time. Everytime they put on a pair of pants even if it is designed for a girl, it still is a guys clothing. I really don't think there is any real big impact when a girl tries to look like a guy. Usually people like myself will look at it and instantly accept it since we are so used to girls wearing pants anyways. Now when it comes to opposite with guys wearing skirts and things, everyone freaks out and spasms on the floor.

Girls and guys pants are quite different, in the way they fit and how they're designed. Girl's pants are tighter, and typically hug the hips and waist. Guy's pants are baggier and if you look at them from the front, they're obviously guy's pants. It's pretty much the same for shirts, for girls they're almost always form-fitting, and guy's its otherwise. Pretty much these girls are wearing clothes and the styles of guys, rather than girls. That's what is meant by "casual crossplaying". That, and cutting and styling your hair moreso like a guy than a girl. Though, I wouldn't call it "crossplay", moreso, just dressing masculine.

Aiji Sasayaki
09-29-2003, 09:26 AM
My face is too 'girlish' to pass off as a boy, and being my height ( A pathetic 4'10!) it doesn't help my cause. I use to dress as a boy all the time, (Tomboy pretty much..still am..) but now I just have a messed up style of dressing..

BattousaiHimura
09-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Well I like the androgyn look as well and sometimes I dress like a boy because I just like it.
Its funny but when I wear girl's clothes (I like school uniforms sooo much that I could wear it all the time) I look like a cute (well, to me) girl and when I wear boy's clothes I look like a guy. So the way I dress up usually depends on the mood I'm in - though I like it more to look like a girl.

Miaka

Lady
09-29-2003, 10:56 AM
I buy all my 'normal' pants (read: not for work) in the boys' sections. So much easier to find a pair that are comfy there than in girls where it's all tight as heck and uncomfortable. I like to hide my girlie figure as much as possible, so it's big baggy jeans and huge concert t-shirts for me!*poses*

Now if I were lucky enough to be a pretty boy, I'd probaly just scamper about in a mesh t-shirt and illegally low, snug, black vinyl pants. Mmm....pretty boys in vinyl...

-Lady

Scortia
09-29-2003, 06:11 PM
OMG, They certainly were some sweet, bright girls, ne? O.o I would have said "Hell yeah, but she's sucks in bed... are one of you gals interested in finding a sexy bitch to smack you around a bit?" ;P

ACXchan
09-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Karisu: Wai! Me too! I prefer form-fitting clothing. I'm extremely annoyed at how baggy men's styles have gotten. (I think guys in tight pants are HOT!)

Akakakakaka... agreed on both accounts XD! I'll take tight leathers over baggy khakis anyday.

Hitori: As far as the baggi thing goes, that drives mi crazi, bagginess gets in the way and looks sloppi>.<

*A little* bagginess is okay for me but when the pants are falling down the rear and the shirt's shoulders are practically at your elbows then that's definitely sloppy in my opinion, for both men and women too @D@

Lady: Now if I were lucky enough to be a pretty boy, I'd probaly just scamper about in a mesh t-shirt and illegally low, snug, black vinyl pants. Mmm....pretty boys in vinyl...

I'd rather "casual crossplay" in clothing I'd prefer to see guys in myself XD Er... well excluding the mesh shirt since that'd attract unwanted attention @D@

PsychoShinji
10-01-2003, 08:40 PM
I like the whole 80's pants thing. I'm a _huge_ fan of Michael J. Fox and his tight pants with suspenders outfit from Back to the Future. ^_^ He's one of the non-anime crossplays that I enjoy...lol. You know, short boys have to stick together. ^^;;;;

I've gotten used to being mistaken, but sometimes it makes me turn red. ^_^ Nothing like a museum tourguide giving my class some discount coupons, handing one to me (I was dressed as Shinji the day of that fieldtrip) and nudging me, saying, "Heh. Maybe you can take your girlfriend here for a nice date, huh?" You could have seen the steam leaving the top of my head. *pffff* @_@ ^^

kdthompson
10-05-2003, 06:16 PM
I shop in the men's and boy's departments all the time. I don't like girl's clothes because I don't like much of anything generally form fitting unless it falls in the spandex catigory. But I generally only wear spandex while cosplaying anyway...

I've gotten mistaken several times for a guy, except for when I'm at school where everyone knows me. I do crossplay irl and try to look like a guy on occation, but I'm most often mistaken when I'm not trying.

Probably one of the funniest incident was picture day a school a couple weeks ago. Being a senior, the only reason i needed pictures that day was for my school id, so I didn't wear anything particularly flattering. (unlike in my senior pictures inwhich I look quite girlish...my mother made me wear make up...yuck!)That day, I happened to be wearing several layers of clothes under my favorite DBZ shirt and it managed to hide my 34B chest as well as my meager hips under my baggy cargo pants. I handed the photographer the card with my name and class info on it and he stuck it in the camera and said, "Well Mr. Thompson, sir ..."and then he told me how to pose. It was all I could do not to laugh, espeically since my first name is obviously a girl's first name. Of course, at the begining of the school year I got my hair cut like the character I crossplay as the most, so it probably doesn't help the fact either.

TsukiGuujin
10-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Dar-Dar, that is SO FUNNY!

There was one time I was dressed as Duo at school. If I don't tuck the shirt in, my chest can't be seen, so I don't have to bind.
Anyway.
There was some ad that a lady showed us that had some ugly half naked girl on it (I am so mean) and said "FOR MEN" on it. She asked "Who is the target of this ad?" and I was like, "STRAIGHT men."

She gave me this look of "O_o ..." and it was fantastic. Later, when I was talking to her, she was careful not to call me "her" or "him". I honestly think she had no idea. XD

~~Tsuki~~

Chiri
10-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Guys clothes = very comfortable.

ACXchan
10-07-2003, 07:36 PM
I'll be proud of having been mistaken for a guy the day I am mistaken for a *hot* guy XD

guys clothes = sssssexy when tight

Elvenwolf
10-07-2003, 09:33 PM
I love the stories I've read in this post. Yeah, and if teenies went up to me and asked...I'd just laugh and try and scare 'em :]

I remember wearing a Utena pin to an anime con, and TWO PEOPLE asked me..."Hey, isn't she a dyke?" <<sigh>> That's not all there is to the series.

Anyways, YES, androgyny is damn sexy! I love pretty boys and slightly androgynous girls...yes, something very alluring about it all :D
Bagginess...can be attractive. I agree tho, not falling halfway down someone's butt. That, I don't need to see.

I've been mistaken for a guy even when I don't try. ... ^^;; in front of my parents, too. Especially on the phone. <<sigh>>

Guys' pants are definitely my comfortable, in my humble opinion. Guys also have a lot more selection, although the tight leather is not a usual sighting. Too bad :S I can't stand tight pants, so guys' pants are very good for me :]

kdthompson
10-12-2003, 01:11 PM
I totally agree with most everything that's been said so far. Guys should be scared to wear tight pants. My mom always tells me of the days she was in high school and it was fashionable to wear tight pants and how she and her friends would debate who had the nicest rear ends. I envy her... now there's not much to look at but who's wearing the funniest boxers...

Heh, all this talk of sexy pretty boys in tight leather pants got me thinking of another interesting story...I remember, just after buying my leather pants, my cosplay buddy mango was looking at me in them and ask, "Did you um...stuff the crotch?"

After a long moment of shock and some serious laughter from both of us, I finally answered no. Apparently because the pants are a size too big, they do that whole bulge thing at the crotch for some reason. I've got 2 costumes line up for those pants thanks to that comment...

TsukiGuujin
10-14-2003, 01:01 PM
GAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
*dies laughing at Dar-Dar's story*
*still laughing, can't type*
XD

*AHEM*
Anyways.
I have a couple pairs of jeans that do that.
Of course, most people who see me never know if I'm a boy or a girl anyway, but the bulge thing is kind of funny.

~~Tsuki~~

Fault
10-27-2003, 05:51 PM
*sniffle* I'm never going to be a bishounen. I know of no person who is built girlier than me: 35" 25" 36" . I'm a 34(32?)DD and my hips and bum are very, well.. not big, but girly anyways.

It's like when they were handing out genders they gave me a second helping and said 'just so you don't get confused'.

But pretty boys are sexy... I'll have to wait for Virtual Reality or a talented professional make-up artist to have even a slim chance of being mistaken.

But I still manage to dress like a 15 year old boy most of the time. When I'm not wearing a men's business shirt that is.

Bahzi
10-28-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm a rave kid at heart still, so I mostly shop at Hot Topic and the like, so I wear UFO's and other pants that are either unisex(but its obvious they were designed for guys) or guys pants themselves, like jnco and such. I generally wear the shirts they sell at hot topic but in at least a size bigger than I am, because its more comfortable and guys don't stare at your chest as much. I think the last time I wore a dress was my senior prom over 2 years ago, and before that I can't even remember. My hair is also really short, only about 5 inches in the front and 2 in the back, but its so much easier to take care of this way(it was halfway down my back until I was 18. I generally wear at least a little make-up though, unless I'm just being lazy. I don't know if its crossplay though, thats just how I like to dress.

kdthompson
10-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Heh...it's funny you mention prom...

I'm wearing a tux it my prom this year... *grins*

I did the whole frilly sweet sixteent thing in a dress...I can cosplay in it again sometime...I guess...*shrugs* But if I could pull off a guy crossplaying...that'd be fun...

But moving on...I'll save that discussion for another day. *realizes she's rambling*

TsukiGuujin
10-29-2003, 01:46 PM
>>*sniffle* I'm never going to be a bishounen. I know of no person who is built girlier than me: 35" 25" 36" . I'm a 34(32?)DD and my hips and bum are very, well.. not big, but girly anyways.

With big enough clothes and enough duct tape, that doesn't matter. You could do it. Kasandra is bigger than that, and we made her a convincing Trowa. ^___^

>>I'm wearing a tux it my prom this year... *grins*

Good for you!
I'm wearing a tux to my wedding reception, just to piss off my family. I might actually go all out and strap down, too. XD
So it would be like I'm getting married as a girl and celebrating as a boy. XD!!!!!!
My family is going to freak.

>>But moving on...I'll save that discussion for another day. *realizes she's rambling*

hey, I ramble, too. But so? YAY!
*ramble ramble*

~~Tsuki~~

kdthompson
10-30-2003, 10:47 PM
Good for you!
I'm wearing a tux to my wedding reception, just to piss off my family. I might actually go all out and strap down, too. XD
So it would be like I'm getting married as a girl and celebrating as a boy. XD!!!!!!
My family is going to freak.

*giggles* Yatta! Thanks btw. And, now that you mention it, that's an awesome idea! *takes note of this* Sure it's a long ways off, but I, personally, was thinking of a cosplay wedding, or sorts, so that would play right into my idea...*insert evil cackle here*

And, for some strange reason, I have this obsession with wanting to try and cosplay as a crossplaying guy...I know it sounds kinda redundant, but I think it would be fun...*shrugs* I'm not at all sure how to pull it off...but I think it would be fun...

TsukiGuujin
11-04-2003, 11:14 AM
>>*giggles* Yatta! Thanks btw. And, now that you mention it, that's an awesome idea! *takes note of this* Sure it's a long ways off, but I, personally, was thinking of a cosplay wedding, or sorts, so that would play right into my idea...*insert evil cackle here*<<

^^
No problem.
My entire wedding is a cosplay wedding.
PM me if you really wanna know about it. I'm sure you don't. ^^;

>>And, for some strange reason, I have this obsession with wanting to try and cosplay as a crossplaying guy...I know it sounds kinda redundant, but I think it would be fun...*shrugs* I'm not at all sure how to pull it off...but I think it would be fun...<<

No, dude, I think it would be awesome! If I had any ideas, I'd help you out. X_x;

~~Tsuki~~