PDA

View Full Version : Wig Basics

daguru
09-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Alright, I don't know a thing about wigs (except that you wear them on your head) and I have a few planned costumes coming up that would definately require them.

So, onto the questions: Do you guys/gals make these wigs or buy them? Where can I buy reasonably good ones? Where can I buy (or) How can I make wigs of characters that you can't find in a wig dealership(like nighmare form SC2 or some other really big and colourful hairdues)? What are price ranges? What are some corners I can cut?

Sarcasm-hime
09-26-2003, 10:35 PM
- most people buy wigs--making a hair wig from scratch is a VERY tedious and time-consuming process. On the other hand, for some characters with bizarre and gravity-defying hair, foam or stuffed fabric can be a good choice.

- A good wig will cost you upwards of $40. Some people, like Katie Bair, can style a wig for you if you don't feel you can make a crazy anime hairstyle. Often you'll need to buy a simple wig and then add extensions or other parts to get the proper effect for your character.

- No matter what, don't cut corners by buying cheap wigs. Cheap wigs are just that, and will tangle horribly, shed hair everywhere and generally look awful. A good-quality wig is a good investment as it can often be restyled for many different characters. ^_^

daguru
09-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Im looking at 2 hairdues:

Mokoto (fatora outfit)(el hazard)
http://my.execpc.com/~fritz/fatora.html

-this is actually fatora, but they're exactly the same

Nightmare (SC2)
http://www.soulcalibur2.com/ (he is all the way to the right)

-don't really need this one to be perfect because the head will not be shown

well? point me in the right direction. especially for the nightmare one.

Sarcasm-hime
09-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Makoto/Fatora is super-easy, any place like WitchWigs.com would have a wig like this. The bangs would just need a bit of styling with gel or something.

As for Nightmare, does his hair always go out like that? If so, I might consider not using hair at all and using a few layers of translucent fabric, with wire along the edges, sort of like the way people make fairy wings. Although I'm sure other people could come up with something else...

daguru
09-26-2003, 11:41 PM
his hair is like shinobi's ribbon sort of. it waves around like hair but it seems to be very very lightweight

Gren
09-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Almost all wigs are purchased. I have made 2 wigs from scratch and am working on a third. I don't recommend it unless it's a hairstyle that absolutely CANNOT be acheived with a normal wig. When I have time between school, moving, and job applications, I'll be drawing up a guide, hopefully within the next week or 2

shmonkers
09-29-2003, 09:30 AM
<edit> never mind! I got the answer I was looking for! :)