PDA

View Full Version : PAX body paint overview and review!

cachalot
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I've seen a thousand threads on the makeup forum about body paint and what the best kind is, which kind doesn't rub off, which kind is long-lasting, etc. So I decided to write up this small post about my experience with using PAX paint for full-body painting. Last weekend I cosplayed Shiva from Final Fantasy X for Otakon 2010, who is completely blue from head to toe and wears nothing except two bra cups and a string bikini bottom.

Because of the fact that I needed so much coverage over a huge skin area and the fact that I couldn't risk the paint rubbing off ANYWHERE for a minute because it would look awful, I did tons of research on every kind of body paint I could find. I looked up Ben Nye, Kryolan, Mehron, all kinds of airbrush paints, and professionally mixed brands of paint that weren't the big three above. All of them seemed either too expensive or didn't offer enough coverage, or the reviews that I read said they were not suitable for long wear because they would rub off on clothing or anything you touched, no matter how slightly. I planned on wearing Shiva for at least 5-6 hours, and sitting down/touching things the whole time, so it didn't seem like the right fit for me. One of my friends who cosplayed as Kefka from Final Fantasy VI last year used the Mehron for her face and its staying power was fairly good but it did rub off along her neck and streaked a little around the ears.

So in the end, I decided on PAX paint, which really isn't a commercial brand of body makeup at all. Some people do sell PAX in bottles, but I definitely don't recommend buying the pre-mixed stuff, as it's expensive. What PAX basically is: Pros-Aide body adhesive mixed with acrylic paint. Pros-Aide is an adhesive used for prosthetics (think a stronger version of spirit gum), which is usually whitish-clear. The acrylic paint gives it opaque color. So basically think of PAX paint as a colored adhesive that sticks to your skin and hides its natural color.

I bought 2 bottles of 16 oz Pros-Aide just to be safe, because I didn't know how much I would need to mix to achieve results for a full body paint. Standard directions say to mix the Pros-Aide and paint on a 1-to-1 ratio. I found that I achieved better results by mixing slightly more Pros-Aide and less acrylic. The color still comes through very opaque and the paint sticks much better. I discovered that I needed 3 coats to get a good, streak-free result - one light primer coat and two heavier top coats. After mixing one 16 oz bottle of Pros-Aide with acrylics and painting myself entirely and also painting some blue tattoos onto my husband, I still had about half a bottle of PAX left, so I would rate coverage as excellent, and I definitely didn't need 2 bottles. About 10oz of Pros-Aide would probably have been more than enough.

The brand of acrylic doesn't really matter that much in my experience. Liquitex is generally recommended, but I've tried it with cheaper acrylic brands and also metallic powders and it works just fine.

To apply it, I used a cheap face powder makeup brush from CVS. The brush head was big enough that it covered a lot of skin with each brush stroke, and the bristles were really soft so there was no streaking or visible brush-strokes by the third coat. The downside is that I had to dispose of the brush after applying all the paint, as it was totally caked and ruined. (I tried washing it and soaking it in adhesive remover, but it was more trouble than it was worth. I recommend just buying a new brush each time)

Pros-Aide, being an adhesive, will stick to pretty much anything, including itself. There is a "no-tack" Pros-Aide that you can buy that's marketed to be used strictly for PAX, but what they don't tell you is that even the no-tack has SOME tack and sticks VERY badly to itself. So you will also need some powder to powder yourself all over. I used a mixture of white baby powder and blue talc powder I got from Coastal Scents. Once powdered, I remained stick-free all day and could sit down, walk, and touch things with no problem. But because the PAX remains sticky to itself until powdered, I don't recommend applying most of the makeup yourself. Use a buddy. I learned this the hard way while applying makeup to my arm, trying to bend it, and accidentally sticking it to itself as I tried to move and paint another part of my body.

You can't powder the PAX till it's completely dry or it will stick to the powder brush. A hair dryer works well to dry the paint fast. I used a regular cheap kabuki brush to powder, but if you can get your hands on one of those giant powder poof things, I think that would be even better.

The biggest headache is getting the makeup off. The GOOD thing about makeup that rubs off is that it doesn't take that long to get off. And when I mean "that long" I literally mean that. PAX does not rub off. Therefore, it took me 3 and a half hours to get the PAX off, with help from my 2 con roommates and my husband, and that was most of the paint, not all of it. The remover I used was Telesis Super Solv, which is recommended for use with PAX, and it definitely helped and I wouldn't have gotten the paint off without it, but don't expect the remover to dissolve the paint and melt it off. I had to scrub. Really hard.

If you're doing this in a hotel room (this really applies to ALL makeup and body makeup application!) bring a big trash bag to stand on and an old towel for makeup removal. Hotels don't take kindly to you getting paint on the floor or on their nice white towels. Luckily, because PAX is not a true paint but instead an adhesive, you can usually get it off hard surfaces such as countertops and tables if you scrub a little.

I would highly highly recommend PAX to any cosplayers who need absolute full body coverage, or if you're wearing a costume that you can't wash and absolutely cannot get paint on or stain. Just make sure to powder powder powder! Use a friend! And schedule enough time into the end of the day to get the paint off, cause it takes a long time.

Any questions, or anyone else have experiences with PAX? I'd love to hear from you :D

You can find photos of my Shiva costume in my gallery:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/251267/
I don't have many yet because I'm still waiting on some photos from two photoshoots, but I will get them up as soon as I can.

cachalot
08-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I neglect to mention that I bought my Pros-Aide from this site

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=PNT3&Category_Code=ALLFSM

The 16 oz bottle cost about $40 with shipping, but that size bottle should last you about 2 full-body applications if you use it judiciously.

Dust Bunny
08-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm sorta confused about this. I was under the impression that most acrylic paints (like liquitex) are craft quality and just because they are non-toxic it does not mean that they are safe or are meant to be worn on the body.

Its great that you were able to get the paint to last all day, and that is definitely a desirable quality but could you please elaborate on the safety of this method?

verdatum
08-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Cachalot, I saw you at Otakon in costume. I wanted to flag you down and talk about how you did the makeup, but I was rushing to an event. I'm glad you picked PAX, and I'm glad it worked out as well as it did. The pics look fantastic.

I could be wrong, but I think I was the first person who started talking about using PAX in any detail on this site, years back.

Dust Bunny, the safety of PAX is a complicated issue. In the US, there are very stringent rules and regulations on toxicity of paint. For liquitex, and basically any paint you will find in a craft store, products are certified by ACMI to be labeled in accordance with the chronic hazard labeling standard, ASTM D 4236, and the U. S. Labeling of Hazardous Art Materials Act (LHAMA). They are generally rated CL and/or AP. You can find more details here: http://www.liquitex.com/healthsafety/generalhealth.cfm

Cosmetics are regulated by a different body in the US, namely the FDA. They have a specific list of chemicals that are considered safe to use in makeup. Among these chemicals, some of the pigments in the range of reds and purples have stipulation that they not be used on the mucous membranes (namely, close to the eyes). I spent a good deal of time researching this, and I've never been able to find a friendly statement explaining the situation.

Hollywood has been using PAX as a special effects cosmetic for about 40 years now. Granted, they are professionals, so they are able to assume greater risk. Many times when you buy stage makeup, you will see it labeled with "For Professional Use Only". This means that the product hasn't been evaluated using the same standards the FDA puts on retail cosmetics, and it's the responsibility of the person applying the product to see that it is used in a safe and proper manner.

In general, any makeup should be tested on the skin first (I like to use the skin just behind the underside of the wrist, as it is particularly sensitive). And if makeup seems to be causing irritation, it should be removed quickly using the most gentle method possible.

cachalot
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM
@Verdatum - Ah, I didn't know you were at Otakon! You are the person who actually inspired me to use PAX since you seemed to be the only person on the forums who was talking about it. Because of your mention, I dug deeper and decided that it was the way to go, and it worked out perfectly.

As for sensitive skin, my husband did have a slight problem with the paint. I'm not sure if it was the paint itself or the remover, but he has very very sensitive skin, and it left some red irritated spots on his skin for a few hours after we washed it off. They went away very quickly though.

CL0VACHE
08-13-2010, 10:25 PM
This is super helpful, PAX sounds like the way to go.

The removal process sounds painful though, would it take a lot longer to do if you only have yourself or one other person helping?

cachalot
08-16-2010, 05:57 PM
@Cl0vache ~ I attempted to do most of the removal myself, and it took a looong time. It's totally possible to get it off yourself, but I recommend you get the giant size of the remover (part of what took me so long was that I didn't have a big bottle of the remover so I couldn't douse myself in it XD)

You definitely need at least one other person helping you if you are doing full body since the other person will need to clean off the parts you can't reach, such as your back.

OGIGA
08-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Awesome guide! May I ask, how long does your skin stay tinted?

cachalot
08-30-2010, 11:18 AM
@Ogiga: Well, the paint itself stays on pretty much till you peel it off...I had to forcefully peel most of it off though, so I assume it lasts for a very long time. The main thing is that it doesn't wash off, so water and/or sweat has no effect on it. I wouldn't suggest sleeping with it on or anything like that, as you might wake up with it stuck to the sheets XD

Etoile-sama
08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Out of curiosity, did you use the no-tack solution or the tacky solution? You mentioned the difference between the two but not which you used. Also, you mentioned doing more than one coat of paint to achieve full coverage. Did you have to wait for each coat to dry before applying the next one? And did you apply powder in between layers (I'm guessing no on that one, but I had to ask).

And the big question: How long did it take you (and a buddy) to apply full-body (or near full-body) PAX?

Edit: Thought of another one. On the site it says that this stuff is not safe for the eye area (obviously). How close could you get to your eyes, and what did you do to cover the areas you couldn't use the paint on?

Lucrezea
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Only one question: How did it FEEL?

cachalot
09-06-2010, 10:36 PM
@Etoile-sama: I did powder between the layers at first, though that was out of necessity because I was doing my own paint and I couldn't move around without fear of sticking to myself if I wasn't powdered. I do recommend letting each layer dry before repainting, although it's generally safe to repaint when the layer is almost dry. If you don't let it dry at least a little, the paint will streak. Again the hair dryer works pretty good for drying fast. But it doesn't seem to affect the quality of the paint whether or not you powder between layers.

I used the no-tack PAX, but I don't think it really matters, as I had to powder anyway >< The no-tack PAX doesn't stick to non-painted surfaces when dry, but it sticks to itself, so it rather defeats the purpose.

It took me 6 hours, although most of that was because it was my first time doing full body paint. Next time I do it, it will probably be faster XD

As for the eye area, I actually just applied it on to my eyes and eyelids. I suppose that if you wear PAX a lot, it's not safe, but this was a one-time deal so it seemed fine. If you don't want to paint it around your eyes (it IS uncomfortable and your eyelids stick together if you paint them) you might want to look into Mehron or other face paint brands that make water-based paints that are safe for eyes. Since it's such a small area it shouldn't matter too much if it rubs off a little since you can reapply.

@Lucrezea: Actually, it didn't feel bad at all! I actually started forgetting that I was painted once we reached the con. Part of it was that the rest of my costume was rather uncomfortable (really heavy wig + 6 in shoes + 3 inch fingernails) so I was more focused on my head and feet aching. But also part of it was also the paint did really feel fine. It felt very breathable and I didn't have any uh...negative reaction to it.

I do, as Verdatum says above, highly recommend you try the paint out on different parts of the body before the big day, so that if you do suffer an allergic reaction to it, there will be a smaller amount to remove and you will have time to find something else that your skin doesn't dislike.

Lucrezea
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
@Lucrezea: Actually, it didn't feel bad at all! I actually started forgetting that I was painted once we reached the con. Part of it was that the rest of my costume was rather uncomfortable (really heavy wig + 6 in shoes + 3 inch fingernails) so I was more focused on my head and feet aching. But also part of it was also the paint did really feel fine. It felt very breathable and I didn't have any uh...negative reaction to it.

That's pretty impressive, I would've assumed it made you feel... well, disgusting for lack of a better word. Thanks!

OGIGA
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
@Ogiga: Well, the paint itself stays on pretty much till you peel it off...I had to forcefully peel most of it off though, so I assume it lasts for a very long time. The main thing is that it doesn't wash off, so water and/or sweat has no effect on it. I wouldn't suggest sleeping with it on or anything like that, as you might wake up with it stuck to the sheets XD

Oh, I was really asking, does your actual skin stay tinted after removing the paint? For example, if I painted myself blue/purple/green, would I look like a dead person after removing the paint layer?

CrimsonDenizen
09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
this is very informative stuff. When I get ready for Majin Buu I shall rely on you miss Cachalot ^^

cachalot
09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh, I was really asking, does your actual skin stay tinted after removing the paint? For example, if I painted myself blue/purple/green, would I look like a dead person after removing the paint layer?

Oh! XD no, because PAX is an adhesive, not a true paint, the color peels or scrubs off with the layer of adhesive. There is no tinting of skin because nothing soaks into your skin (unlike some water-based body paints)

cachalot
09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
That's pretty impressive, I would've assumed it made you feel... well, disgusting for lack of a better word. Thanks!

At first when the paint goes on it's a bit weird. It's kind of cold XD but after it dries it's almost like a second-skin.

The best part was that I could sit down with the paint on and not having to worry about it rubbing off on anything. I sat down as often as I could because my shoes hurt so much, and it was on basically any surface that could support my weight - metal windowsills, brick and concrete, and upholstered chairs, and I didn't stick to any of them.

Etoile-sama
09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you so much for answering my questions! :) I may have to try this stuff for my body paint adventure. The fact that you can touch things and sit and not worry about it all coming off is a big deal.

sukimba
09-12-2010, 07:59 PM
So you said it doesn't rub off with water, what about sweat? If you can't sweat it off, do you sweat through it?

cachalot
09-13-2010, 11:34 AM
@sukimba: I didn't have any problems with sweating or overheating in it, but keep in mind that I'm always cold and don't really sweat at all (plus we were inside all day in air conditioning). Sweat is mostly water though, so the paint does not rub off with sweat (my husband who was also wearing PAX "tattoos" sweats a lot, and the paint didn't budge). Basically though, the only thing that will make it come off is the PAX adhesive remover.

I don't know if you will have problems with your skin breathing through the paint if you do tend to sweat and/or overheat easily. You may want to test the paint on a large part of your body and wear it around for a couple of hours to see if it's uncomfortable.

Angeltx441
09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
what kind of paint did you mix with the pros aide?

oh and is it possible to paint this over latex? Like latex breast cups or something of the sort?
Can you paint it over cloth?
And is it possible to make colors fade into one another like an "airbrushy" feel?

E. Hyde
09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for this info, looks very good! Can you use normal makeups on top for shading? And how close can you get to your hairline / eyebrows?

cachalot
09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
@Angeltx441 - I mixed Liquitex acrylics with the Pros-Aide for the main painting (the light blue), but for the details I used a variety of different things, including other brands of acrylics and metallic powders. All of them stayed really well.

I've never painted this over anything except skin myself, but I do know that PAX is used very commonly as a prosthetics paint, over masks and false noses and scars and things, so I would think it would be okay over latex. It would be best to try it out before the con, if you decide to use it. I don't know about cloth, although since PAX is flexible I would also think it is possible, although powdering over the cloth might be weird.

I don't know how well the colors of different PAX would fade into each other since you have to apply with a brush. You could definitely use an airbrush to apply water-based paint over the PAX. I don't recommend using an airbrush for PAX since the adhesive could gum it up easily. I've seen one or two people who say they've used airbrushes for PAX but I don't know what their techniques are, and most everything else I've read says stay away from it.

cachalot
09-15-2010, 08:38 PM
@E. Hyde - all the makeup I used on my face was normal drugstore brand makeup! It shows up and stays really well (since it's powder based, and PAX likes to hang out on your skin with a layer of powder on top.) So play away with makeup :D

I actually painted a layer of PAX over my hairline so that when my wig inevitably slipped backward, you wouldn't be able to tell. It worked great for photos, but getting the paint off was a real chore. So be prepared to spend a long time in the shower with the remover if you do paint around your hairline since the PAX likes to stick to hair. Eyebrows I didn't have the same problem, as the PAX came right off. I'm guessing that since the hair was shorter, there was no issue.

Satine
09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I could be wrong, but I think I was the first person who started talking about using PAX in any detail on this site, years back.

I've been talking about it since '03 and regularly get shot down for suggesting it- like it is some budget cheapie alternative- yer no. Usually by people outside the industry or people who have never actually used it ;)

(edited to clarify: and I am so very glad there are people here who promote it too :) )

I like to use PAX or PAX alternatives (using liquiset or certain moisturisers instead of PA) for some projects. My Samara for instance was a mix of mica powders, liquiset and paint to get a thin layer that lasted the entire day. My latex was coloured with the same pigments but bound in an acrylic flow medium. It meant absolute colour matching between me and my appliances.

My Galadriel (from 03) was a mixture of paints and one brand of moisuriser- no other seems to work. That would be Johnson and Johnson clean and clear.

I use PAX to stipple and blend the line of my Asari headpieces but as the cost of PA and cleaner is about twice the price here as it is in the next country I find it extremely expensive to use for much more. I need to save the PA for the gluing of the appliances themselves ;)

Aleiki
09-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Oh my goodness, what a wealth of information. Once I've deciphered all of that stuff about paint specifics, this will be very useful. XD

All joking aside, though, this is very cool, and thank you for posting all of that and answering all those questions--most of my questions were answered earlier in the thread, so I'm not going to bother repeating them. This will be super helpful for a cosplay I want to do later, and I'll definitely look into getting some after I've started officially working on it.

I do have one quick question, though, just to clarify: you said you were able to put makeup on as well, but you did put it on over the PAX, right? I figured you probably did, and it doesn't really make sense otherwise, but I didn't know if it was translucent enough that the makeup showed up through it, or... whatever.

cachalot
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
@Aleiki - yes! I did indeed put makeup over the paint - once the PAX is dry you can put pretty much any kind of makeup or even different kinds of PAX over it. If you're going to be in costume for a long time or worried about your makeup smearing because it's hot or whatever, I suggest you use a setting spray (Ben Nye and Mehron and other theatrical makeup companies sell it)

verdatum
10-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh my goodness, what a wealth of information. Once I've deciphered all of that stuff about paint specifics, this will be very useful. XD.

(Shameless plug:) As far as deciphering stuff from chaotic threads, I try to have an explanation of PAX that is detailed as possible at http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX Being a wiki, anyone (n00bs included) is welcome to add to the article or edit it to try and make anything more clear.

Aleiki
10-02-2010, 01:22 AM
@cachalot: Awesome, good to know. Thanks again!

@verdatum: Thank you! That should be a great help. I'm sure I'd figure it out eventually, but some of the terminology gets a bit confusing to me XD

odirex
10-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I like to use PAX or PAX alternatives (using liquiset or certain moisturisers instead of PA) for some projects. My Samara for instance was a mix of mica powders, liquiset and paint to get a thin layer that lasted the entire day. My latex was coloured with the same pigments but bound in an acrylic flow medium. It meant absolute colour matching between me and my appliances.

I'd love a bit more info on that. What kind of paint did you mix with liquiset? Does it turn out sweat-proof / smudgeproof / non-stick?

Also, can PAX be applied with a foam applicator or does it have to be brush?

Satine
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Verdatum: I love your wiki I go there quite often :D I just tested making "bondo" thanks to it and it seems to have worked for my purpose.

http://costumes.glittersweet.com/recreations/comics/witchblade.htm
In the bottom pictures (which flash has really ruined, sigh) I am wearing a mixture of make up and PAX. The black is pure PAX (1:1 PA:acrylic paint) and the colours are mixtures of mica powders and alcohol gel that had evaporated leaving a damp powder.

I have just made a mix to eek out the last of my PA (I need it for my latex appliances) and I mixed it to about 1: 1.5 PA:liquiset with pigments and paint to colour. Too much pigment though and they don't all get set and you wind up staining everything- your paint stays put still. This is why Acrylic paint is so useful as those pigments are already caught in a sticky medium.

It is indeed sweat proof and budge proof but not as much as with PA, naturally. Though the mix I have just mentioned really is very budgeproof! I tried it last night and it would not come off with soap and warm water in the sink and took a fair bit of scrubbing with a scrubbing mitt! But in a shower with the hot water continually running, or in a bath where you can soak it comes off much faster- your body perspires much more rapidly so it lifts off from underneath.
Mixing with the liquiset also reduces the tackiness by a great deal.

The paint I use is students art acrylic. The medium it is carried in is cosmetically safe (acrylic is the base for both PA and Liquiset) but some pigments can be toxic- less so for known brands but there are a few issues with paint on kids toys that have made it to the media in recent years. The brand most commonly available here is Chroma and they do a few different ranges.

For Samara I also adjusted the colour a little as my contact lenses have an aqua tone and it would have clashed badly had I painted myself a warm-dull blue as she really is. The joy with Chromacryl (the student paint) is they have warm and cool toned primary colours to work with :)

I found I was able to do a base of flat blue then shade with eyeshadows/mica powders dry and damp to get toning.
http://www.pbase.com/nero_design/image/125835539
You can see that it did rub off by my collar; solid resin piece, not recommended! But I also missed the back of my neck here ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shazzsteel/4721964317/in/faves-91424360@N00/
This shows the shading I achieved over the base colour a bit better :)

And edited to add: I like to use a brush as it seems to make the application much smoother. For Samara I used a brush that is the same shape as a foundation brush and it just made the painting wizz by. I have used sponges but I find that as they absorb liquid they can make it harder to get an even coverage- possibly because the liquid being absorbed means the paint is already drying before it gets on.

cachalot
10-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks Samara for the info on the Liquiset! It looks like I've got another medium to experiment with next time I use PAX.

And I agree - I've used sponges for the PAX as well and found that they absorbed too much of the liquid, so I switched to brushes only.

Satine
11-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I had another trial a couple of weekends ago :) I used about 1/3 paint 1/3liquiset 1/3 PA and had a few places where it came off- on my chest and near the edges of the collar (solid latex piece so quite soft but the edged were not rounded).

I spritzed liquiset several times to help the powder stick too. There are shades of blue and purple in the make up (so in essence super hot pink with some lilac to highlight) I also used liquiset on my brush for the make up shading, again it helped the powder shading to stick to the paint.

I added about another equal amount of PA and that seemed to make it extra super budge resistant. And I had to use Isopropyl Myristate to remove it. And baby wipes. It came off more easily the next day with a scrubbing glove, hot water and soap- i.e. in the shower rather than the sink at the convention.....

I do recommend the more balanced amount on the face though. It is much less likely to be bumped by enthusiastic crowds (sigh, I was glomped several times as Samara) and it does make it that little bit easier to remove. Less "OMG I think my face is being pulled in five directions" as it dries ;)

Big fan of the stuff and I always use child safe acrylic. They are not meant to be ingested but are safe enough just in case. Though I'd never want to eat a whole tube.

So Thanks again cachalot for starting this thread and verdatum for the efforts to spread the word (I love the wiki :) and promoted it at the same event ).

Na'vi wannabe
11-03-2010, 05:53 AM
I love pax! Made up a batch for my Avatar costume from 50/50 PA and Chromacryl! Worked great when I was patient and gave it time to dry- when I tried to hurry the process it went clumpy and the talc ended up in thick lumps rather than a thin coat. Lesson- be patient and cautious. Have not tried adding liquiset but may give it a trial next time.

One big error on my part- I thought the talc sticking to it would make it brighter but the true colour of the paint came through after a while. This meant that my (pre-painted) tail was lighter than the rest of my body. Will have to do a proper test run next time.

Best part was being able to wear the paint several days in a row! It was like having a second skin.

Beanypop
11-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Someone mentioned that PAX is tricky with hair - would arm hair (on the forearm, not the armpit) be included in that? Is it uncomfortable or does it rip hair out?

cachalot
11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
My husband found it a bit uncomfortable on his forearm and chest/belly hair because as PAX dries, it grabs the long hairs. This also makes it hard to get off from places that have hair since you have to scrub a bit. For female arm hair I wouldn't say it's a problem at all, but for men with longer forearm hair, if you have sensitive skin, I would suggest being careful before you go with PAX.

Beanypop
11-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Cool - I guess it wouldn't be a big issue then. :D Thanks for your input, your costume is amazing!

Clyde_2.0
12-06-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a Question!! Does this only work with Pros-Aid or can you use other brands of prosthetic adhesives?
I currently only have access to the Ben Nye brand prosthetic adhesive. Will it work or should I wait until I can order actual Pros-Aid?

cachalot
12-07-2010, 10:16 AM
@Clyde 2.0 - I have actually no idea if you could mix PAX with anything except Pros-Aide. Perhaps Verdatum or Satine, who have more experience with PAX, could give you an answer. I would guess it depends on the ingredients of the adhesive and how it sticks to your skin.

Clyde_2.0
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Okay, thanks! And if no one else has tried using other brands of PA, I can always volunteer to be the guinea pig! ^_^

verdatum
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
This thread (http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8448&view=previous&sid=6f7648af64cb9e3cd3f7e2867e2e56b0) gives some pretty low reviews for Ben Nye's prosthetic adhesive. But From what I can see, it is still an acrylic based adhesive, so it should have no troubles mixing with acrylic paint.

If you have some lying around, by all means, do a small test and see what you think. But, if it's weak, I wouldn't let that dissuade you from trying it with pros-aide.

Na'vi wannabe
12-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Someone mentioned that PAX is tricky with hair - would arm hair (on the forearm, not the armpit) be included in that? Is it uncomfortable or does it rip hair out?

I used Veet the day before to remove all my body hair, but there were some patches where coverage wasn't total and hair remained and I found the paint in these areas uncomfortable to remove

Clyde_2.0
12-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Finally got around to testing the Ben Nye PA. It held up well enough for my needs so I think I'll just use what I have for Sakuracon instead of ordering Pros-aid.

I mixed 50/50 PA and a random acrylic (http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/Snolepord/bored%20stuff/_C189240.jpg) that was the first color I grabbed... creme.

I kinda rushed the painting 'cause I had to share the bathroom with people getting ready for the day... I did feel some pulling as it dried but nothing major. Also, it dries tacky, like Pros-aid, so I did have to powder when it dried. Here's what it looked like. (http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/Snolepord/bored%20stuff/_C189233.jpg)

Then I went and planted trees for three hours. I was wearing gloves and using a shovel, which is probably equivalent to a full day's wear at a convention... When I pulled my gloves off I was sure that I'd have most, if not all of it rubbed off from my palm and fingers. It was mostly still there (http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/Snolepord/bored%20stuff/_C189236.jpg). Some had come off the fingertips, but the rest was just fine.

And now I'm sitting here, trying to rub the rest off and it's stuck pretty well in some places. I should probably break out the remover now. ^_^

cachalot
12-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks Clyde!! Sounds like your experiment was a success, and thanks for sharing the photos. Now I have something else to test for PAX!

Clyde_2.0
12-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Glad to help! I'm just happy that I don't have to order anything off the interwebs...
I was also thinking that I might up the percentage of adhesive to about 75% for my fingertip areas. When I end up doing the full costume, I would find it rather distracting for my fingertips to start rubbing off.

Ama Uzume
12-21-2010, 01:01 AM
What about for non-full body coverage? I'm planning a Poison Ivy and I'd like to have vines and leaves painted on like so: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/47452/1194728-pi6.jpg (especially the leaves on the chest:))

cachalot
12-21-2010, 08:45 PM
PAX works for as much or little coverage as you need!

Sakura Efreet
12-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I may have missed this, but does PAX have a strong scent to it? I'm trying to find a body paint my boyfriend can use, but he suffers from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity where he can't breath properly if he smells most chemical smells. I was hoping I could find something white I could mix with it that doesn't have much of a scent.

Also, thank you for making such a helpful thread!

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask... Do you think it would be that bad to sleep with it on? We were hoping he could just sleep in it, since he will only need it on his upper body.

cachalot
12-31-2010, 08:29 PM
It doesn't smell strongly, but there is a slight smell to it. I would definitely purchase a Pros-Aide sample and let him smell it and see if he has a reaction to it before you attempt to apply it. You may want to try several body adhesives too since as mentioned above, you can mix PAX using other adhesives besides PA, and some smell less than others.

You can certainly sleep in PAX. I don't super recommend it if you're doing complete body coverage, but for just upper body, that's probably easier than reapplying it every day XDD I'd put down an old sheet or something in case some spots on his back do rub off a little while sleeping.

Sakura Efreet
01-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Thank you so much for all your help and answering my questions so quickly. We'll see how it goes. We are talking about until waiting until the con after our upcoming con to do this so we have more practice time (we are going to Ohayocon during the last weekend of January), but when we do eventually use PAX, I'll be sure to post pictures and such.

Also, no promises I won't be coming back here for help... ^^;;

Hee-Hee
01-08-2011, 01:49 AM
This thread is so awesome, thanks to everyone who has put their input in this thread so far!

I have a question about the latex wrinkling or bunching up, though. In some of the pictures you posted, cachalot, I can see how the latex wrinkled in the photo of your husband due to his slouch, and in one of the photos of your Shiva you can see it wrinkling on your neck due to the way your head is turned.

I'm looking into maybe using PAX for a full face coverage (in the event I can't get it to work with Aquacolors), but I'm going to be making some very animated expressions, so I'm wondering if the latex will pull awkwardly or wrinkle depending on what my face does. Your expressions in Shiva are all pretty focused and still, so do you have any advice on how it holds up to lots of face movement? I'll also have some prosthetics on, so it would be pretty convenient to get to use the PAX for both applying the pieces and covering the rest of my skin.

Thanks so much!

cachalot
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
@Hee-Hee: PAX paint WILL wrinkle after it dries. Because it is an adhesive-based body covering that's thicker than a true body paint cover (which is really thin), as it follows the movement of your skin (stretching as you move, etc), it will crease and wrinkle. It looks almost reptilian up close - a lot of my friends at the con who were with me in the FFX group commented that it made me look even less human as Shiva because of the weird texture of the PAX on my skin.

However, I do want to assure people that this doesn't make the PAX less durable at all. I didn't move my face at all for photos, but I spent a bunch of the day smiling and making weird faces at people when I wasn't in character for the photoshoot, and the paint on my face lasted me all day until I went back to the hotel to try and peel it off (and then it didn't want to come off, still).

If you're planning on closeups of your face, though, PAX might not be the best idea if you are concerned about texture, since it does leave wrinkle lines and things while you're making animated expressions. It's best for full-body paint and things like that.

Hee-Hee
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Gotcha! That's a lot of helpful information, thank you very much! =]

kittylovesprog
01-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Oh wow... I'm so happy I stumbled upon this

ZeasonaL
01-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Thank you very much for a lot of helpful information like this! ^o^

shikanime
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm dressing as Midna's Twili Form from The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, and I need pretty much exactly the same colour for the body as you used in your Shiva cosplay. I was wondering what kind of acrylic paint you used exactly, and also how well sleeping with the PAX on would work?
My friend and I are going to OtaFest in May, and we'll be going for more than one day, so instead of removing it before I go to bed and then putting more on before we leave, I want to just leave it until we're all done. Any suggestions?

cachalot
01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
@shikanime - I think sleeping with it on would work, though I give the caveat that I've never done it, and I know cons can get kind of...hot and sweaty with all those people around, so make sure you won't be stinky the next morning(s) XD as you can't shower very well with the PAX on. Bring an extra old sheet or something in case bits of PAX come off and stick to the bed, which may happen if you're laying on it for a long time in one position. And of course mix extra PAX the first day so you can reapply as needed.

I used mostly white acrylic mixed with a just a touch of dark blue. It was cheap paint from Michael's, their in-house line I think. (I can't remember the exact brand, but they were having a sale on it so I bought a big tube). For powder, I mixed baby powder and mica loose powder from Coastal Scents:
http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/1841_35/blue-silver-star-mica.cfm

It has a fair bit of shimmer so after powdering myself I had a blue-silver shimmer effect over the PAX. If you don't want that, go with non sparkly powder, but either use blue or transparent setting powder, don't use straight white, or it will lighten the PAX too much. ^_^

⑻вιт☆ʂɐɱʊяαɪ
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Do you know of anywhere where PAX can be bought a little cheaper?
I'll be cosplaying Scanty for a con. I know you said it didn't take much to cover, and I'll only have to cover my hands face/chest and possibly my legs, however I'm sharing, she'll be doing the same, and ordering large quantities seems to be quite an investment.

cachalot
01-24-2011, 02:40 PM
@⑻вιт☆ʂɐɱʊяαɪ - unfortunately I'm a fair newbie at buying FX products myself and I don't really know the best place to find Pros Aide for less. Perhaps Verdatum or Satine, who have used PAX for a long time, will know.

verdatum
01-24-2011, 03:12 PM
⑻вιт☆ʂɐɱʊяαɪ, making sure you properly read the original post, you don't generally buy the premixed PAX. You just buy the prosaide adhesive online, and buy the paint at your local craft store.

Fxwarehouse prices tend to be quite competitive. And you pretty much can't avoid having to pay shipping; it's a specialty item. Still, doing the math, it just doesn't seem that costly to me.

4oz Prosaid + shipping + 4oz Liquitex Basics paint = about $20, or $2.50 an ounce.
2oz Prosaid + shipping + 4oz paint = about $15, or about $3.75 an ounce. (plus leftover paint for drawing a pretty picture!)

Zovik
02-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Does the standard PAX mixture come off in the shower? I experimented with a mixture of Ben Nye prosthetic adhesive and Liquitex Basics and it peeled off really easily in warm water.

cachalot
02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Standard PAX mixed with Pros-Aide should not come off in the shower unless you scrub really really really really REALLY hard. I used it just last weekend to paint tatoos on my legs and chest and back, and even the small bits of PAX took 30 minutes to scrub off under running water after using the remover.

Satine
03-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I finally dd a near full body PAX application this weekend. No. It really does not come off in one hot shower! I had about 9 very hot showers over three days to get 99% off. I highly recommend getting some Isopropyl Myrstate to make it easier. I just bought some PAX remover and while it smels realy lovely it doesn't quite have the same power as IM. That said IM in the tiniest drop can ruin your entire paint job. I had a little on my finger tips and it made my hands stain my headpiece and lightsaber. I cleaned my hands well with soap and water too, it just really is that good at breaking the bonds of PAX.

If you do not have a remover then soaking in hot water for an extended period of time (either v hot shower or v hot bath) and lost of soap and a face cloth is your best bet. I used a scrubby mitt and a facecloth and the facecloth as the better as it did not scour my skin.

Oh I was Shaak Ti and I will just track down a link...
http://whatabigcamera.com/events/20110226/content/044_DSC_8970_large.html
You ca see a little has come away from my arm- yep that's because of the little bit of IM ;)

Also heavy pressure will also transfer the paint from skin to anything else with a greater stickable factor (such as cloth). Basic physics there though ;)

I won't be able to do this again though. At least not for a long time and not without a big bucket load of IM. Why? I am mildly claustrophobic (got trapped in a cave once for a few hours and it's never been the same since ;) ) and it does feel like being encased in a second skin. I found the paint on my legs the most cloying.

That said don't let it frighten you off! Just make sure to powder and have the right solvent. It was knowing I wasn't going to remove the paint quickly that was most at issue for me :)

LunaNera
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't know if this has been said already(I admit I did not read the entire thread, I missed two pages).
Just going to mention at pros-aid is also used as a sealer and will not let your skin breathe too much, I would not use it over the entire body if you had to do this for a few days, one day probably would not be an issue.
Now for a little bit of history.
PAX was originally created by Dick Smith, for painting on foam latex prosthetics instead of grease paints. Not really meant to be over bare skin.
Personally I would never use it as a body paint, mainly because its not very good at breathing... and I have have been covered with pros-aid when I went to school for special effects make up, its kind of mean. But it would defiantly stay on!
Isopropyl Myrstate is what we actually use in the film industry to take it off... lots and lots and lots of myrstate, then lots and lots of soap and a shower to get the myrstate and the left over pros-aide gummys off.

Satine
03-13-2011, 05:48 AM
That was the IM I mentioned ;) Sadly I was given some bad advice when comparing products for easy removal. The PAX remover smells better but it does not break down the PAX like IM does. That said I also had no towels and facecloths that I was okay ruining with gummy pax ;)

I don't know if you read the whole thread but there is a lot of info in there about how much we have researched this too.

http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX
http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2146&view=previous&sid=b22fd1e79bd5ae40ccb9ed176ebdd960
http://if.com.au/2008/08/27/article/HAHVFWZDXI.html
(Says it was developed for make up before being used for prosthetics)
http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/Body_Painting_Technique.html#PAX Makeup
http://www.likeastory.com/boards/cgi/noncgi/Forum18/HTML/000335.html
(good mention of using different ratios for different needs, I use it at about 1: 4 PA to paint if that. Though I really would not be using the remover recipe there!!!! Baby oil and IA also work, slowly but they do work.)

The needs for film are very different to the needs for a convention. At a con you do not have people watching you and able to repair any damage to your make up or indeed reapplying it (I have done film work and know this is a slightly simplistic account but it is true there are many more people per main actor than actors to keep make up and costume looking right through all shooting periods.. and same number for doubles/stunt doubles etc.) You need something that goes on once can be self applied and be self removed.

I personally have tried to get my hands on all sorts of make up that lives up to that but most schools here train for the film type of situation: ie on call restorers of make up/costume and indeed no huge untrained crowds bumping into the model/actor for the make up to transfer to ;) Also I cannot get hold of certain products thanks to customs laws and lack of importers here.

Airbrushing is great but only if you have another to do the brushing and also are able to transport the equipment or have it in place already. Again not things that are easy for the convention goer.

In short: Ideal, the perfect and only option? No! A good option for the circumstances and generally safe? Yes. But always test and always have cleaner on hand!

Oh and I got some on my clothes. I was very tired and lay down while still painted and it transfered to my clothes. I was able to remove it by washing on a warm cycle and drying with a mix of cool and hot. There were little pills of the stuff at the edge of the dryer so really really do clean the lint out before and after!

bugmenawt
04-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Do you think a bodypainting (PAX) could be worn 2 or 3 day? With only some repair. I really prefer the bodypainting over something else.

Because this summer I would go to an event. But I would be camping. And it would be very difficult to repeat the work every day in front of everyone. And I prefer cleaned me at the house and not at the camping. I think it would much easier.

cachalot
04-17-2011, 12:19 AM
@bugmenawt - I think it's certainly possible, although it sounds really hot and uncomfortable. If you have a tendency to sweat a lot, I would advise against it, since PAX isn't the most breathable thing in the world and camping in the summer wearing PAX would be.....very sweaty and I wouldn't want you to overheat and pass out or something :(

Pocketfightr
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Can you mix your PAX and store it for a while before wearing it? I was thinking of mixing a bunch of it to the color I wanted, test it on my skin and then store the rest in an air tight container for the con. Or is it just better to just mix the color when needed?

Na'vi wannabe
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Do you think a bodypainting (PAX) could be worn 2 or 3 day? With only some repair. I really prefer the bodypainting over something else.

It can be done and I have done this twice. Repairs will be only needed on high friction areas (knees etc).

http://eyawng.deviantart.com/art/Three-images-of-costume-v2-0-204461021

Can you mix your PAX and store it for a while before wearing it? I was thinking of mixing a bunch of it to the color I wanted, test it on my skin and then store the rest in an air tight container for the con.

Yes, this should work. Just make sure you have enough time for application/drying/sealing.

Pocketfightr
04-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Awesome, thanks for answering my question. :D

SolarMisae
07-07-2011, 01:14 AM
I have a question too. (Apologies for the "bump" I think...)

I'm looking for an alternative makeup for my Scanty to the Ben Nye cream I used last time, as it had a bad habit of rubbing off all over my white collar, even after it'd been throughly set. It was suggested to me that I try PAX. I really want a natural looking skin texture, and not something that looks like theres a "layer" of something over my skin. Does it tear and pull? Can you apply powders over it to reduce shine, and does it rub off at all?

cachalot
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I have a question too. (Apologies for the "bump" I think...)

I'm looking for an alternative makeup for my Scanty to the Ben Nye cream I used last time, as it had a bad habit of rubbing off all over my white collar, even after it'd been throughly set. It was suggested to me that I try PAX. I really want a natural looking skin texture, and not something that looks like theres a "layer" of something over my skin. Does it tear and pull? Can you apply powders over it to reduce shine, and does it rub off at all?

PAX doesn't tear or rub off if applied properly and powdered, so you don't have to worry about that. As I mentioned in my original post, you MUST powder PAX or it will stick to itself. Even before powdering, it's not shiny, and after powdering it's definitely not shiny.

The only thing that might bother you is that places like your neck, joints, around your mouth, etc, the PAX has to stretch as you move and you can see that in hall photos and close up. In those places, it will not look natural if you turn your head or smile. You can see the effect in this photo around my neck: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2660478/

Jodi Lane
07-11-2011, 02:07 AM
You definitely did a fantastic job with your body paint. I'm really happy you posted this explanation on here. I need to paint on some tattoos for the Lilith Borderlands costume I'm doing. I'm wanting it to look as authentic as possible. I thought about making a tattoo shirt but that may look too cheesy,although I might still try it for the heck of it before I order the paints.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it works out!

Quick Question...what type of powder did you end up using?

Jodi Lane
07-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Okay so I found this link for a 4oz bottle of the pros-aide, I just want to MAKE SURE this is the right stuff...also where did you buy yours? I'm kind of afraid to buy after just doing a random yahoo search. A reliable store would be awesome if you have a link! Thank you!

http://www.monsterclub.com/makeup-fx-kits/adhesives/_11-___pros-aid-4oz-.html

cachalot
07-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Okay so I found this link for a 4oz bottle of the pros-aide, I just want to MAKE SURE this is the right stuff...also where did you buy yours? I'm kind of afraid to buy after just doing a random yahoo search. A reliable store would be awesome if you have a link! Thank you!

http://www.monsterclub.com/makeup-fx-kits/adhesives/_11-___pros-aid-4oz-.html

I get my Pros-Aide from FX Warehouse:
http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=PNT3&Category_Code=ALLFSM

And the powder I used was a mix of baby powder and blue mica. I really suggest using translucent setting powder which is the best choice because it is colorless. The baby powder lightens the PAX a lot (since it's white).

Jodi Lane
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Thank so much girl. This has just made my convention 10x easier ;) *big hugs*

Jodi Lane
07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Do you think this would work great as a powder to set it?

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=MP2&Category_Code=BN

PetitLolita3
08-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Your Shiva cosplay is awesome! And thanks so the review of PAX makeup! I've been researching for a while myself, trying to find a latex, or full body makeup that didn't dry shiny.

Quick question: what did you use for the blue pigment? would any pigment powder do? This year I'm going to NYComicon as an Indigo Tribe (Lantern) member, and the main character is a purple-ish blue (indigo) color, so i'm sure i'd have to mix a couple pigments together to get the exact shade..

Again, awesome costume!
:toothy: :geek:

cachalot
08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks! I just used blue acrylic paint (Liquitex brand) and powdered with blue mica powder from Coastal Scents. You can definitely mix shades of acrylic together to get the right shade. I do that all the time now. Just be sure to mix first, then add the Pros-Aide :D

Axelai
08-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Does this peel at all? I was talking about PAX on my FaceBook, and one girl told me not to use it because it peels. I told her I didn't see anything about that here, so I thought I'd ask.

cachalot
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
PAX can technically peel if you put on too thick of a coat and then spend like an hour rubbing that part of your body against something constantly and with great friction.....and I don't want to know if anyone plans to do that in costume XDDDD It's actually how it is removed - by dabbing cotton ball in removal solution and rubbing the remover onto the PAX so it will loosen and peel off. But I have never had it randomly start to peel off if I was not specifically trying to peel it off (and then it takes quite a bit of effort to peel it off). As long as you powder adequately, the PAX should last all day.

cachalot
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
@Jodi Lane - the translucent powder should work fine for setting!

Axelai
08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
PAX can technically peel if you put on too thick of a coat and then spend like an hour rubbing that part of your body against something constantly and with great friction.....and I don't want to know if anyone plans to do that in costume XDDDD It's actually how it is removed - by dabbing cotton ball in removal solution and rubbing the remover onto the PAX so it will loosen and peel off. But I have never had it randomly start to peel off if I was not specifically trying to peel it off (and then it takes quite a bit of effort to peel it off). As long as you powder adequately, the PAX should last all day.

XD Yeah. Well, I dunno. This girl was pretty adamant that "Pax sucks" so idek. I still plan on using it, as my current makeup for this character is... not too good (I keep rubbing off on people oh god)

verdatum
08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm with cachalot on this. Properly made PAX doesn't peel. I suspect that the girl in question either made it wrong, bought it premade from someone who made it wrong, or put down a layer of PAM cooking spray before applying it. The only makeup with a stronger holding power than PAX is Alcohol Activated makeup, and that's expensive and you get less of a choice of colors.

Axelai
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm with cachalot on this. Properly made PAX doesn't peel. I suspect that the girl in question either made it wrong, bought it premade from someone who made it wrong, or put down a layer of PAM cooking spray before applying it. The only makeup with a stronger holding power than PAX is Alcohol Activated makeup, and that's expensive and you get less of a choice of colors.

Alright, thanks ^^ I guess I'll be extra careful when making it.

Aesceus
10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Okay, let me see if I understand...
I buy 4oz (http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=PNT3&Category_Code=ALLFSM) of this, and then go to the Dollar Store/Michaels and pick up any old kind of Acrylic paint? Americana, Craftmart, etc?

Then, I take a bit of PA, mix my paint into it, and go-at -er? Seems pretty simple, if so!
When mixing the PA with your acrylic, does it dilute or lighten the paint any? How long does it take for a coat to dry with and without a hair dryer?

A cosplayer I really like uses it a lot, but she didn't go in depth with it, so I'm just.. making sure I understand, hehe!

I used Ben-Nye, and another girl used straight up Acrylic. While it didn't smear on anything, there were little flakes of gray paint on EVERYTHING. I smeared a little, because I guess I suck at powerdering, but she was just a mess. All the paint cracked and looked itchy and icky. I don't know why she'd do such a thing!

verdatum
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, the commonly recommended paint to use is the Liquitex acrylic. I usually use the Liquitex BASIC, since it's cheap and easy to find. For the most part, other artist acrylic paints should work, but some are of higher quality that others. Quantifying that quality is a bit hard.

The mixture does lighten the color, but not much. It looks a bit milky when mixed, but that goes away as it dries.

Drying time varies dependent on too many factors to really express. Just make some and practice with it. You should get used to it pretty quickly.

Aesceus
10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Alright, great :D
I'll look around for some Liquitex, then, if it's the most recommended ;)
This is making me all excited!
Thank you~

sailormoonfan14
11-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Okay, so PAX doesn't rub off while touching, but what about on clothes? I have a dress that i need white skin for, but i'm worried that the edges that touch the PAX will get ruined. Does it stain clothes?

verdatum
11-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Once it has dried (and powered) it will not stain, it'll act just like dried latex paint, coming off in flakes. While wet, it'll tend to stain pretty permanently. You want to either apply the makeup while wearing painting clothes (stuff that you won't mind getting stained), or after your costume with a good smock (like the kind when you get a haircut) clipped carefully in place.

Rei2Rei
11-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Have any of you had any experience with the premixed PAX? I need it in a red and found a site selling it- http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FW&Category_Code=PAX

I just wasn't sure if there was a different between the two of not.

cachalot
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I've never used premixed PAX, so I can't really say. I think it would be more cost-effective to go with just a bottle of Pros-Aide and then mix your own color, however.

Rei2Rei
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I've never used premixed PAX, so I can't really say. I think it would be more cost-effective to go with just a bottle of Pros-Aide and then mix your own color, however.

Thanks for getting back to me-- I have one other question. I went to my local craft store to look at paints I could use for this. One of the ladies working there kept pointing out that most red paints are dangerous and shouldn't be used on the skin. I've seen plenty of other people mix their Pros-Aide with red paint. So, is this really an issue?

EDIT: And I don't plan on using PAX on my face. Not sure if that makes a difference.

cachalot
11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
She may have been talking about reds such as Cadmium red, which traditionally have contained toxic pigments. To my knowledge, acrylic paints these days use synthetic pigments in place of the cadmium, which makes it non toxic (at least when not used regularly for PAX...I wouldn't recommend wearing PAX every day!)

Verdatum might have more information as he is much more knowledgeable in this area than I am. He may not see this thread so feel free to PM him. ^_^

Falclon
01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm hoping someone will see this...do any of y'all have a picture of how much the PAX wrinkles around the face? I want to use this for an upcoming cosplay but I need facial expressions in pictures and all of the ones on this thread have pretty blank expressions.

verdatum
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM
PAX will accentuate wrinkles by a tiny amount, but really not enough that it should turn you off of it. You just need to apply it with a brush in very thin coats. Most of the time, if applied correctly, the increased wrinkling would only be noticeable in high-res facial close-ups. And even then, pro photographers these days would just Photoshop them out lickety-split.

Falclon
01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Would it be best if I want close ups to just use Kryolan on the face and neck and then PAX for the rest of the body? I have a shirt with a collar so the two make ups won't be touching. I saw someone doing a costume on DA that used the two (though they did Ben Nye, not Kryolan).

verdatum
01-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Personally, I wouldn't bother, since color-matching can be such a pain. If really concerned about this sort of thing, just use Skin Illustrator alcohol-activated makeup for the whole body. It's pricey, but can't be beat.

cachalot
01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I second Verdatum - one of my friends did a full body paint for NYCC and tried to use Kryolan for her face and PAX for her body. The colors ended up being so off that she used PAX on her face instead. Color matching is very hard. What the paint looks like in the bottle/in the palette and on your body are so different sometimes.

iiSquidley
01-09-2012, 02:32 AM
If you are going to be spending three days in a row in gray body-paint, would it be possible to just sleep in it and do touch ups in the morning?
(Sorry I know that sounds gross, but I'm poor and lazy)

Falclon
01-11-2012, 10:15 PM
If you are going to be spending three days in a row in gray body-paint, would it be possible to just sleep in it and do touch ups in the morning?
(Sorry I know that sounds gross, but I'm poor and lazy)

Earlier in the forums the guy who does the Avatar costumes says he does. I'm planning on doing this (but I only have to paint one arm and half of a leg plus other bits and pieces)

cachalot
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
If you're going to sleep in the paint, put an old sheet on your bed and sleep on that just in case :) I've never done this before but I think it would be fine; just premix a lot of paint so that you'll have enough if you need to touch up large spots.

iiSquidley
01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Okay, thank you so much!

Falclon
01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
So I need to order my pros-aide and IM soon, and I was wondering if y'all had any idea how much would be a good amount. I need to cover approximately 1/3 of my body, so allowing for a few coats, lets say one full body coat. I believe I saw earlier in this thread that 16 oz was good for a few coats so should 8 oz pros-aide, 8 oz paint, and 8 oz IM be enough? Or is that too much/too little? For the powder though I am completely lost. :p I take it you need a lot for it, but the brand I'm looking at has a largest size of 8 oz. Then two powder brushes, one for paint, one for powder? Will that be enough? (I said 8 oz way too much in this post xD )

cachalot
01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
8 oz is plenty for just 1/3 of your body. I'd start with mixing 4 oz PA and 4 oz paint and then if you need more, mix from there. But I think 4 oz of each should be plenty. You don't actually need that much powder. I used faaar less than 8 oz for a full body painting. I also supplemented mine by mixing it with baby powder (though if you want to do that, get a darker color powder and mix it with baby powder. As baby powder is white, the powder mixture will turn lighter)

Falclon
01-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Well I'm actually painting myself white so would I be best just using baby powder? xD Or should I use some actual setting powder with it?

cachalot
01-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Oh! If it's white then just baby powder would work fabulously ^_^

Falclon
01-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Ok thanks! :D

Also is it safe to buy from here even though the stuff looks brown?
http://www.frendsbeautysupplyonline.com/prosaidenotack8oz.aspx

cachalot
01-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I can't vouch for that site; I've only ever bought from http://fxwarehouse.info/ ^_^

[edit] aaaand it looks like their shipping is suspended right now due to a move. It looks like the Frends Beauty Supply is listed on the "authorized dealers" list on the PA site so you should be okay.
http://www.pros-aide.com/authorizeddistributors.htm

Falclon
01-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Ok thanks so much for all the help! ^_^

coi--koo-ee
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Hello.

I'm very glad I found this form! It looks like a lot of research was put into finding info on PAX.
I'm trying to get a confirmation on the brand of paint you mixed in with the PA. I think you mentioned liquitex. Is this it:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/images/products/acrylics/liquitex/basics/0049439000000-st-01-liquitex.jpg

I'm doing the breakfast princess from adventure time. Thereís a release party on the 18 of February for the new comic and I want to use this as a test before the local con, Animazement, in May. The princessís skin is made of egg yolk, so she is YELLOW. I'm going to do most of my body in this color, leaving my stomach and chest bare (maybe!) What do you recommend?

Do you think baby powder would be okay with a dark enough acrylic color, or would it look blotchy and have different shades?

Also, how do you recommend putting the layers of PAX and powder on. Right now Iím picturing snow angels on the bathroom floor -.-Ē. Do you use powder in-between layers?

You also mentioned thick layers would peel. Would many thin layers placed on top of each other count as "thick" and start peeling?

(Last question I swear!) I have long hair, and itís very important to me (involves back-story.) But how would this affect my hair is it got into it? I do NOT want to have to cut it out.

Obviously this is my first time with makeup ^^" I havenít touched the stuff since dress up in elementary school. Thank you guys in advance, I know I have a lot of questions...

coi--koo-ee
01-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry if I'm posting multipal times, I just made my account today to ask questions on this form, and I think I'm having trouble posting the questions o_o"

Edit:
Hello.

I'm very glad I found this form! It looks like a lot of research was put into finding info on PAX.
I'm trying to get a confirmation on the brand of paint you mixed in with the PA. I think you mentioned liquitex. Is this it:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/images/products/acrylics/liquitex/basics/0049439000000-st-01-liquitex.jpg

I'm doing the breakfast princess from adventure time. There’s a release party on the 18 of February for the new comic and I want to use this as a test before the local con, Animazement, in May. The princess’s skin is made of egg yolk, so she is YELLOW. I'm going to do most of my body in this color, leaving my stomach and chest bare (maybe!) What do you recommend?

Do you think baby powder would be okay with a dark enough acrylic color, or would it look blotchy and have different shades?

Also, how do you recommend putting the layers of PAX and powder on. Right now I’m picturing snow angels on the bathroom floor -.-”. Do you use powder in-between layers?

You also mentioned thick layers would peel. Would many thin layers placed on top of each other count as "thick" and start peeling?

(Last question I swear!) I have long hair, and it’s very important to me (involves back-story.) But how would this affect my hair is it got into it? I do NOT want to have to cut it out.

Obviously this is my first time with makeup ^^" I haven’t touched the stuff since dress up in elementary school. Thank you guys in advance, I know I have a lot of questions...

verdatum
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
That's the stuff I use. This is the "student line" of liquitex, which has a lower conentration of pigment than the pro-series. But it's cheaper, and easier to find.

I don't like baby powder, just because the smell bugs me; but yes, you can use baby powder or straight talcum powder.

Don't powder inbetween layers. The powder will act like a release agent causing the layers to not bond together as well. Powdering does tend to get a bit messy. It's best to use a cheap velour powder-puff to push the powder in place; and a powder brush (big fluffy thing) to brush off the excess. You should be careful not to inhale the powder (I actually wear a dust mask for as much of the powdering as possible), and when finished, leave the area to give the powder a chance to settle before cleaning it up.

Yes, slowly built up layers still have a more likely chance to peel. The paint is opaque enough that you generally shouldn't need more than 2 layers anyhow.

If you get PAX in your hair, you aren't doomed to cut it out, but it takes LOTS of patience to remove safely. I've had the greatest success using a combination of a steel flea-comb and PAX-remover or Pros-aide remover. I do this in a relaxing warm bath, go slow, and don't get frustrated.

Naturally, you are much better off stashing all your hair carefully under a latex bald-cap or a shower cap, and being careful to watch that no random strands escape and get painted over.

cachalot
02-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Echoing Verdatum, getting PAX in your hair isn't the end of the world, but it does take a bit of work to get it out. I have long hair too, so I always put my hair up in my wig cap before even starting to mix my paint, so that my hair is totally out of the way.

I use baby powder and it works great :)

coi--koo-ee
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
okay, thanks! I'll try this next weekend. Thank you again for the help! :)

Falclon
02-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I received all of my PAX materials in the mail last week so I thought I would come share my findings. ^_^ So I ordered the No Tack version, and despite how y'all said there would still be some tack, there was none. Absolutely zero. Maybe my batch was different? Also, this stuff held extremely well. It stayed on all day and I couldn't scratch it off with my fingernails. Even when using IM to take it off at the end of the day, it took quite a bit of scrubbing. This stuff is definitely going to come in handy with all my future con needs. :D

cachalot
02-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Glad it's working out for you Falclon!

belligerent
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I used PAX for Equius last weekend at Katsu. I used it on my entire upper body, for the most part, minus my face (which I mixed makeup to match for). It took...a WHILE to apply, by myself, and then it took just as long if not longer to scrub off. Ouch. I like the way it looked and how I could do anything without it coming off, but the time invested in applying and removing it is troublesome.

I also had difficulty getting it on my fingertips evenly...is there a trick to this?

coma148
04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
So, I'm doing Gamzee from Homestuck and am painting my arms, neck, and possibly lower legs (incase my legs show in movement of the pants). About how muck of the PA would I need?
Also, what is the recommended brand of acryilics and how much should I buy in relation to the PA?
One more question, for the grey skin, what kind of powder would you recommend?

Coco Rocha
04-09-2012, 01:57 PM
SO HELPFUL!!!! THANK YOU!

I'm cosplaying soon as Shyvana (http://glamorousgamergirls.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/shyvana-cosplay-part-1/). This really helps! I really don't want embarrassing missing spots of paint etc. I think I will end up trying this...

Sauce Ladle
04-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Wow! Thats a long and informative post. Thanks

I know cachalot recommends using brushes to apply the PAX but I wanted to use an airbrush as I think the application would be smoother and quicker. FX Warehouse state that you can dilute PAX by upto 50% using water to use in an airbrush (http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FW&Category_Code=PAX)

Question: Does anyone have any experience in using premixed or self mixed PAX in an airbrush in this or any other way? Or have another suggestion for a similar long-lasting/durable body paint suitable for a airbrush.

Sauce Ladle
04-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Wow! Thats a long and informative post. Thanks

I know cachalot recommends using brushes to apply the PAX but I wanted to use an airbrush as I think the application would be smoother and quicker. FX Warehouse state that you can dilute PAX by upto 50% using water to use in an airbrush (http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FW&Category_Code=PAX)

Question: Does anyone have any experience in using premixed or self mixed PAX in an airbrush in this or any other way? Or have another suggestion for a similar long-lasting/durable body paint suitable for a airbrush.

verdatum
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
The important thing when airbrushing PAX is to clean out the airbrush immediately after using. An airbrush gummed up with dried PAX is so annoying to clean that sometimes it isn't even worth it.

I purchased a second (cheaper) airbrush that I only use for airbrushing PAX and acrylics. The Paasche H is popular, as it has nice wide nozzles that can handle the thicker paints, and it is cleaned much more easily than the more complicated double action airbrushes.

The other commonly used airbrushed body paint is Alcohol Activated makeup. That stuff airbrushes just as easily as lacquer paints, though you do have to watch out for fumes, both due to inhalation and flammability.

Sauce Ladle
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks verdatum.
Do you dilute your PAX with water (if so how much) or do you load it straight in the airbrush?

verdatum
04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
You can thin it with water or alcohol or some combination. Alcohol makes it dry faster, but again, has fumes and fire risks. You want the stuff to be no thicker than the consistency of light cream; but the consistency of whole milk seems to make it the easiest to apply (believe it or not, pros actually use these terms). If it's too thick, it either won't come out of the airbrush, or you'll have to crank up the pressure so high that the force of the air deforms the skin-surface.

cachalot
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Sorry for not answering some questions!

@belligerent - glad the PAX worked out for you! I really really recommend getting a friend (or 2 or 3) to help you paint. This goes for any full body paint, pretty much - painting yourself is not recommended! It just takes way too long, and since you can't see the back of you, you miss spots. I've never found a great way for PAX to stay on the underside of fingers, since fingers move so much and frequently touch each other, thus the PAX starts to flake off after a while (again, PAX will flake off when it's in contact with another surface covered with PAX.) I've recommended to people just to take a bottle of it and touch up their fingers if it really bothers them. To be fair, all bodypaints are not very long wearing when it comes to fingers, unfortunately.

@coma148 - it's 50/50 for mixture, so half pros-aide, half paint. As mentioned, the recommended brand is Liquitex but I've used a bunch of different cheapy brands and the results seem similar.

spandexrex
05-01-2012, 04:48 AM
How much of a pull does it have on the skin during removal? I just got another tattoo about a month ago, and while it's completely healed, would it be wise to go ahead and use PA over it in about three weeks?

cachalot
05-01-2012, 04:06 PM
You usually have to scrub a bit, but that's just because the PAX doesn't come off easily and I am usually trying to get it off as fast as possible. For the tattooed area if it's still sensitive, I would spray remover on it, wait about 30 secs to a minute, then gently dab at the area with a cotton ball. You'll probably have to repeat this process for about 5 minutes on that particular area, but if you are worried about irritating the new tattoo, this just gently dissolves the PAX without rubbing.

cachalot
05-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I wanted to add a small note about paint over PAX on other surfaces - since doing Shiva I've tried painting PAX on a variety of mediums, including styrene plastic, fabric, and foam latex. It goes on really well. I'd actually highly recommend it over prosthetics if you need to match the color of the prosthetic to the color of your skin or costume - you can mix one batch and paint the PAX over both. We did it for a friend who was cosplaying Freya from Final Fantasy IX (a anthropomorphic rat, so there was a prosthetic rat nose glued onto the face) and it worked great.

hollowchrist
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
How would it effect an area with hair? I'm researching a bit to find something suitable for my brother for a Hulk costume - mostly green body paint, obviously.

cachalot
05-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't recommend using PAX over any areas with hair, either longer body hair (this applies mostly to guys) or hair on your head. The PAX pulls at it as it dries and according to my husband, it's not pleasant. I got some paint on my front hairline as well and it took about 5 days to come out completely because the remover can't really get to it, so it just kind of sticks and gets matted.

KiraNoJigoku
06-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi! This has been really helpful to me and I've done a little research on this as well! Unfortunately right now, I'm somewhat of a beginner at cosplay and just a complete amateur at all things make-up related. I've gone through the entire post and read everything but just a few quick question.

I'm really sorry about repeating questions that have already been asked and answered, but I was wondering if you could sleep with PAX on not just the body but also the face as well? I know you can sleep in it but it's not recommended when it's on the body but I was wondering if the same could be applied to the face area? I'm mostly going to paint my arms and face/neck area and I don't really want to scrub it off only to put it back on the next day for AX.

Also, can you apply PAX around the eye area? Or is there an alternative method/way for that area? My eyes are a little......I wouldn't say sensitive but I'm kind of cautious about them or that area. And also, if you needed to rub your eyes for whatever reason (irritation, something inside, etc) or lick your lips, can you do those actions or would you recommend just using a wet towel?

I was also wondering if it'd be possible to wash your hands or touch food with PAX on?

And do you just put the PAX on in light coats or do you first put Pros-Aide on then the PAX?

And how far would you paint before getting to the hairline if you're going to wear a wig?

I'm sorry, last question!! >< Do you wait for the paint to dry and then paint another layer on top of it?

Sorry for the questions! ><

KiraNoJigoku
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry, last question I swear!!! Do you first powder then put the seal on or is it reverse?

cachalot
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
If your skin is sensitive on your face, DO A TEST first before putting any PAX on! I don't recommend PAX near the eye area in any case. For right around the eyes, use regular makeup such as eyeliner.

You don't use Pros-Aide by itself to paint - PAX is a combination of Pros-Aide and acrylic paint. Mix them before painting. Once it's on, you can eat, wash your hands, etc without worry about it. However, one note about hands - because your fingers flex so much and you use your hands all the time, the PAX will likely start flaking off. This is normal. I haven't found any body paint that doesn't rub off on the hands, so if you're bothered by it, carry a small bottle of PAX in a sealed bottle and just touch up your hands before any photoshoots.

The "seal" for PAX is the powder itself. You don't have to seal any further after you powder. For hands, elbows, knees, and other areas that have a lot of movement, powder a bit more so the PAX stays on longer.

olivepeach727
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Hi! I know this is an older thread but I was wondering if you can make different colors of PAX and put them on top of one another to make a design. My husband is going to be doing the Winter soldier and that requires a silver base with a red star on top and black horizontal lines. How would that work?

Also, I would be using it for Maya from borderlands 2, but she has just tattoos on her chest, arm, and hip. Would I be able to leave that on for two days and still take a shower with it? Since it isn't full body coverage? And could I use a paint that would glow from a blacklight?

Thank you!! :)

verdatum
01-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Yes, it layers just fine. In fact, if you lay down a solid basecoat, you can reduce the amount of prosthetic adhesive mixed into anything painted on top of it. Instead of a 1:1 mix, you can do 1:2 or 1:3.

No promises that the tattoos won't need the odd touch up, but if you don't scrub them off, they will more or less stay in tact.

As long as the paint is acrylic based and listed as nontoxic (most everything sold in the US is), then yes, UV reflective paints work just fine.

olivepeach727
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Oh! Thank you so much!! :)

KidXister
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
this is awesome thanks.

L-nay
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm currently looking at buying Pros-Aide for PAX. I know cachalot mentioned her husband breaking out from either the PAX or the remover. Depending on some chemicals in products, my face can burn or break out, so I'm worried about using PAX. I've found on some sites Pros-Aide II that's supposed to be easier to remove and better for sensitive skin. I thought about purchasing it, but I'm also worried about it possibly not holding up as well as the original. I was wondering if anyone has used it and the original Pros-Aide and has any opinions of Pros-Aide II vs. Original Pros-Aide.

verdatum
02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
So, to clarify, in every case I've read or heard of, when people mention problems with irratation or problems with sensitive skin, it wasn't an issue while wearing the pros-aide, it was an issue of removing the stuff. So "sensitive" doesn't so much mean "sensitive to various chemical compounds" as much as it just means "delicate".

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the removers had stuff that irritated some people's skin. The removers can contain solvents like naptha or potential allergens, like limonene (a component of citrus oil). Personally, I've only ever tried Ben Nye's Bond-Off! and wasn't very impressed with it.

I haven't had a chance to play with it, though I'm starting to think about getting some of both it and the no-tack just for the fun of it. I would venture a guess that it's not going to have quite as strong of a holding power as the original PAX, but in I suspect in most situations, that's still strong enough to hold up during a 1-day cosplay. If it turns out that it degrades in the shower or overnight, and you want to continue the cosplay, then that just means you wash it off completely and reapply it the next morning; no big deal.

SwordChick
02-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the information in this thread! I was wondering how long pro-aide lasts once it's been opened. I use liquid latex body paint right now but it goes "bad" after a while when it's been exposed to air. The pigments break down and the pure white I bought ends up looking yellow.

Just wondering if anyone's noticed a shelf life for it once the prod-aide has been opened. It would be great to buy a big bottle all at once and save it for various cons.

Myzanaki
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
So I happened accros this thread, and I am really intrigued since I want to do some minor prosthetic and paint (ears, hands etc) for a steam punk character im working on

I am a little confused on the actual application of the product itself, specifically with powdering. Are you saying just use baby power or something similar, or are there specific powers to use?

Also how well does PAX apply to prosthetics such as latex horns, ear tips, etc (I managed to pick these up for less than 50% original pricing on Halloween clearance)

Myzanaki
03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
My first post wasnt showing up earlier and now it is, not sure what happened

shannaigans
03-31-2013, 03:01 PM
I just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have learned so much about PAX and paint.
I wanted to take a moment to share my first face paint test session for my cosplay I'm prepping for first weekend in June at Denver ComicCon. If you can't tell, I'm attending as a Twi'Lek (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Twi'lek).
I have constructed the lekku (the brain tentacles) from polyurethan vinyl fabric, sewed and stuffed lightly. The lekku were painted with fabric paint since acrylic will crack and fall off the vinyl. So to color match, I mixed the pros-aide with the same fabric paint I used on a 1:1 solution. The feel of it is just as you mentioned, like a second skin. I do not feel my skin can breathe perfectly, but I did feel it was possible to stay in the paint for an all day con. I will be testing the acrylic paint for color match and breathability next weekend.
Thanks again for all the fantastic info! http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qg0tkGaJc8A/UViHUTFZFXI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/9NkDF0GzROc/s1600/test1.jpg

abyssofthesoul
06-07-2013, 12:04 AM
So I happened accros this thread, and I am really intrigued since I want to do some minor prosthetic and paint (ears, hands etc) for a steam punk character im working on

I am a little confused on the actual application of the product itself, specifically with powdering. Are you saying just use baby power or something similar, or are there specific powers to use?

Also how well does PAX apply to prosthetics such as latex horns, ear tips, etc (I managed to pick these up for less than 50% original pricing on Halloween clearance)

I just recently began my exploration with PAX as well and so far I am LOVING IT.

Myzanaki: here is a video of a Miss Martian cosplayer who uses PAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NySBYj9kE34#t=269s

That point shows her applying her PAX. She talks about foam brushes, but that is completely up to you. The powder can be anything from babypowder to ben nye neutral set. I've tested both - they worked equally well for me. Once it's dry you just shake that on and then dust it off with a brush or however you like. (I've also heard of people often using loose powder eyeshadows to enhance the color.)

PAX is first and foremost a special effects adhesive. It is meant to adhere prosthetics to the skin. This lady uses it to attach laytex pieces to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K7ANdd3doVI#t=109s

Therefore I believe you could use it to apply to yourself as well as paint the pieces if that's what you were looking to do.

I hope this helped!

strawbryshuichi
06-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Hey guys, anyone who has sensitive skin and is scared about breaking out from the remover for PAX, try using isopropyl myristate. It'll take a bit to take the PAX paint off, but it'll be much gentler than a Bond-Off remover (Though Bond-Off is way faster).

My main advise is to use something to create a shield between your skin and the PAX. Dermashield works well, and there's another lotion type product that I can't think the name of right now, but will find out if anyone is interested.

Those will save your skin from the KEFJHKJE of PAX + removers + rubbing = ouchies sort of things. :>

mewtwo2222
06-26-2013, 07:24 AM
So I've just had my first experience with PAX, yay, and it was both amazing and horrifying. It took so long to put on - I think the only way that can be fixed is through waking up earlier.

I did encounter a few problems so I reckon I'll have to do a few more tests before I wear it again.
I had a real problem with the paint rubbing off in my armpits as you can see perfect little triangles here - http://g10.picoodle.com/ltd/img10/5/6/26/mewtwo2222/f_ugw8_3b5_ubbwc.jpg
I also had the paint on my fingers begin to flake off almost immediately, as you can see in the image as well. I got a few little tears in the paint towards the end of the day, although I suppose this is only to be expected considering my poses included a lot of stretching.

I did three coats over most of my body but was running out of time whilst doing my hands, so I only did two there, though I don't see why that would have contributed to such drastic flaking. I feel it was something to do with the proportions, most likely. My mix was probably about 60:40 PA to paint, though I didn't measure it out properly, haha.
What does everyone recommend trying out next to avoid this flaking/sweating off of the PAX?

abyssofthesoul
06-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Don't have any advice regarding the issues above, but on the topic of remover:

I got a 10 oz bottle of creamy baby oil from the $1 store, lathered it on over the PAX and just let it soak in for about 20-30 minutes. Afterwards it barely took much hard scrubbing at all to get it off. For some areas I did need to do it a second time - but still didn't have to scrub harshly to get off.

I fully suggest trying this because not only does it get the PAX off easily, it makes your skin reeeeeally soft.

L-nay
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Don't have any advice regarding the issues above, but on the topic of remover:

I got a 10 oz bottle of creamy baby oil from the $1 store, lathered it on over the PAX and just let it soak in for about 20-30 minutes. Afterwards it barely took much hard scrubbing at all to get it off. For some areas I did need to do it a second time - but still didn't have to scrub harshly to get off.

I fully suggest trying this because not only does it get the PAX off easily, it makes your skin reeeeeally soft.

I'll have to try this next time. I ended up buying a bathroom scrubbing brush with hard bristles and scrubbed the crap out of my body to get everything off. Ya... that definitely hurt.

As for my own review of the product, I ended up buying the Pros Aide II for my Harley Quinn makeup. It took forever to put on, so I would highly recommend having a friend, or two, or maybe five, all helping you apply it if you're doing at least half of your body. My main issues were anywhere I would sweat a lot. I couldn't manage to get my hands to work at all. Within ten minutes, my palms were peeling. I'm really not sure how to fix the issue with my hands. My armpits started peeling early on as well, but at least they're fairly hidden. My face started to crack at the end of the day after lots of smiling and talking, but was easily fixable with touch-up paint. For removal, I purchased an adhesive remover for pros aide. Unfortunately, the remover didn't really work at all. I ended up just busting out a hard bristled brush and some body soap to get it all off.

verdatum
06-28-2013, 01:32 AM
So I've just had my first experience with PAX, yay, and it was both amazing and horrifying. It took so long to put on - I think the only way that can be fixed is through waking up earlier.

I did encounter a few problems so I reckon I'll have to do a few more tests before I wear it again.
I had a real problem with the paint rubbing off in my armpits as you can see perfect little triangles here - http://g10.picoodle.com/ltd/img10/5/6/26/mewtwo2222/f_ugw8_3b5_ubbwc.jpg
I also had the paint on my fingers begin to flake off almost immediately, as you can see in the image as well. I got a few little tears in the paint towards the end of the day, although I suppose this is only to be expected considering my poses included a lot of stretching.

I did three coats over most of my body but was running out of time whilst doing my hands, so I only did two there, though I don't see why that would have contributed to such drastic flaking. I feel it was something to do with the proportions, most likely. My mix was probably about 60:40 PA to paint, though I didn't measure it out properly, haha.
What does everyone recommend trying out next to avoid this flaking/sweating off of the PAX?
Hands just flex and rub against things too much. Almost nothing stays on. When required, I'll try to use Alcohol Activated makeup on hands instead. Otherwise, you just need to be super delicate with your hands, and regularly touch-up as needed.

It works so well that it is what many people use to paint latex pieces in the first place. Just wash the piece off in soapy water first to get off lingering release agent or powder.

Thanks for all the information in this thread! I was wondering how long pro-aide lasts once it's been opened. I use liquid latex body paint right now but it goes "bad" after a while when it's been exposed to air. The pigments break down and the pure white I bought ends up looking yellow.

Just wondering if anyone's noticed a shelf life for it once the prod-aide has been opened. It would be great to buy a big bottle all at once and save it for various cons.
Liquid latex is fragile stuff. the natural rubbers coagulate on their own easily. Ammonia is added to inhibit this tendency, but for cosmetic liquid latex, they try to kick the ammonia level low, since it is an irritant.

Prosaide is acrylic based. It doesn't have these problems. It can coagulate, particularly if left motionless on a shelf, so the solids have a chance to settle, but I've never personally had this problem. I have a bottle that I bought over 2 years ago (and have done silly things like left in a hot car in the summertime). I just checked it, and it still appears to be perfectly good.

I'll have to try this next time. I ended up buying a bathroom scrubbing brush with hard bristles and scrubbed the crap out of my body to get everything off. Ya... that definitely hurt.

As for my own review of the product, I ended up buying the Pros Aide II for my Harley Quinn makeup. It took forever to put on, so I would highly recommend having a friend, or two, or maybe five, all helping you apply it if you're doing at least half of your body. My main issues were anywhere I would sweat a lot. I couldn't manage to get my hands to work at all. Within ten minutes, my palms were peeling. I'm really not sure how to fix the issue with my hands. My armpits started peeling early on as well, but at least they're fairly hidden. My face started to crack at the end of the day after lots of smiling and talking, but was easily fixable with touch-up paint. For removal, I purchased an adhesive remover for pros aide. Unfortunately, the remover didn't really work at all. I ended up just busting out a hard bristled brush and some body soap to get it all off.
Yeah, the hard-bristle scrubbing method (while I admit, I've done myself when in a hurry) is A Bad Thing. My usual advise is that if you must remove it so quickly and aggressively, then you should be using something other than PAX. But I'm sure you learned your lesson in hindsight.

Getting pretty much...anything to stick to your palms is just about impossible. In the film industry, it is almost only ever done for quick close-up shots. Characters are either designed with natural palms, or they wear gloves or glove-type prosthetics. You can do this too. Get some nice tight fitting nitrile or latex gloves, wash the outside with warm soapy water and let dry, cut off the rolled edge around the wrist, paint it with enamel paints as desired. tack down the edges to the wrist using pros-aide. Stipple the seam with your makeup of choice to camouflage it.

mewtwo2222
06-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Getting pretty much...anything to stick to your palms is just about impossible. In the film industry, it is almost only ever done for quick close-up shots. Characters are either designed with natural palms, or they wear gloves or glove-type prosthetics. You can do this too. Get some nice tight fitting nitrile or latex gloves, wash the outside with warm soapy water and let dry, cut off the rolled edge around the wrist, paint it with enamel paints as desired. tack down the edges to the wrist using pros-aide. Stipple the seam with your makeup of choice to camouflage it.

Oooh this is a great idea, thanks! Why enamel paints, though? I would have thought that they wouldn't dry flexible enough for use on gloves/hands?
And any ideas on the armpit problem? Usually it wouldn't be much of a problem but with cosplaying Wii Fit Trainer I find that way too many of my poses seem to expose my armpits...

My face started to crack at the end of the day after lots of smiling and talking, but was easily fixable with touch-up paint. For removal, I purchased an adhesive remover for pros aide. Unfortunately, the remover didn't really work at all. I ended up just busting out a hard bristled brush and some body soap to get it all off.

I would definitely recommend using a creme makeup for the face and leaving PAX for the neck down, just to avoid the wrinkling and cracking on the face. It does mean touching up every now and then, though. I'd recommend Ben Nye Creme foundations.

Also as far as remover, did you use isopropyl myristate? That was what I was using, and at first didn't feel like it was working. I got real success with it eventually though, I found the easiest thing to do was just massage it all over the bits of me that were painted, leave for about five minutes, then jump in the shower and scrub it off with a regular exfoliating pad :)

verdatum
07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Enamel paints polymerize into a sort of plastic film that is very flexible. They also bond very tightly to most surfaces. Lacquer paints tend to be much more brittle. Water-based Acrylic paints are usually nice and flexible, but they aren't as good at adhering to surfaces.

One thought to your armpit problem would be to try applying a couple different types of lubricant to the surface after painting. I haven't tried this, so I can't say which would work best. Possibly a silicone oil such as found in certain specific...ahem..."personal" lubricants. It would cause that area to be glossier, but it would reduce friction, which is what causes the flaking. Keeping the area constantly powdered would have a similar effect. This is why gymnasts and pool-players alike "chalk" their hands (it's more often talcum powder these days). You could potentially produce a tinted powder by mixing a tiny amount of pure cosmetic pigment and mixing it up, and this might reduce the chalky appearance it would produce on the surface (assuming you aren't already painted white). I've never tried this though.

Jeskamaree
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Not sure if this has been covered yet, but did you use the PAX on your face? I'm mostly concerned about eyelids and such.
Also, so all it is is just liquid adhesive mixed with acrylic paint? You said you used a Michaels brand; so I can just buy the adhesive and mix it 50:50 with any kind of acrylic?

linkistheman
08-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Hello, I am needing to do a full-body paint for a cosplay. I need to get a ash-like color; whitish-gray. I've never done body painting before, so I just need to make sure I get everything right before I start my online ordering.

Basically, you're saying that I need to order the PAX, then the acrylic, and then mix the two before applying? I need to go ahead and order the paint because I need to be painted at the end of August!!

Thanks for your advice :D

-Rachael

Ragornak
08-03-2013, 10:18 PM
This thread is what turned me on to PAX, I am wearing a Richard costume from Looking For Group at the end of august. It has white hands and arms along with a dark blue/black tunic. I was going crazy trying to find a way to paint my arms without white rubbing of on my costume until I found this! Thank you!

Alutaps
08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know if PAX covers tattoos?

verdatum
08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
It can cover tattoos, however, you have to do a decent amount of stippling and layering of many different colors in order to make it look natural, like the surrounding skin tone. This takes a fair bit of practice. Otherwise, you are left with a big blotch of skin that just looks flat and artificial. Granted, this is true with every tattoo concealment method.

jobarbaro
08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the info, this is very educational :)

I'm doing Minerva Mink from Animaniacs and need to do a full coverage white makeup on my legs and upper torso/face including arms (basically everything the strapless dress doesn't cover). I'm interested in PAX because that is a lot of exposure and I don't want to get makeup on my dress or others, or have to touch up. However, I'm concerned about the reptilian appearance and/or wrinkling, especially on my neck. She's supposed to be a soft animal.

Would it be possible to have a smooth transition between PAX and a cream makeup, perhaps just below the collar bone or similar location? I know color match has been brought up, but if I'm just going with pure white, maybe it wouldn't be so hard? Would it peel and would there be a definite edge to the PAX?

Also, any links to a supplier for the Alcohol Activated makeup should I decide to go that route?

iani_ancilla
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I read about armpit problems with pax in this thread, and I have a question.
I sweat very easily, and not just in the "usual" places. Arms, neck, shoulders, cleavage, back... all the places where paint peeling / sweating off would look terrible, that's where I sweat.
Is pax a bad idea for me, or does it resist (a lot of) sweat? If so, any suggestions? Should I just figure out a way to make arm socks work for me?

Amaranthx
10-15-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm wondering if the powder effects like color? If I use a white baby powder on a possibly dark green, will you be able to see it? Is there a way to prevent it?
:)

Nevermind, I actually did find it after rereading.
I'm going for a reptile look, so would PAXs texture actually be better for me v.s. a smoother paint?

bgramm
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm doing a full body coverage costume and bought latex. After reading this I'm thinking I should have done more research before purchasing the latex. What is the pros and cons between the two?

Here is the image I'm working off of.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110610110338/batman/images/e/e9/1243008861.jpg

Crystalsetsuna
11-21-2013, 06:48 PM
would this be a good idea to do a spatter on my arms and legs? i intend on cosplaying as a Silent Hill Nurse, and of course want something every bodypainter wants: something that will look great, real and not rub off anywhere.

PAX seems like a fantastic idea, but does it do well with splattering on the skin? and what kind of powder would you recommend for blood colored PAX? red or a clearish powder?

heathuhrene
02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
which is the best pax remover, the Telesis Super Solv youmentioned, or the pros aide remover?