PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for an odd suggestion.....

tsuoi_kaze
08-06-2010, 04:14 AM
I've tried more diet plans over the years than I care to remember, but nothing thus far has worked. The roadblock people tell me I keep hitting is that I don't eat breakfast. Mind you, I don't so this because of lack of time, or because I think that skipping meals will help me. My body simply cannot handle food for several hours after I first wake up. If I did eat breakfast I'd either just throw it back up or I'd feel sick for the rest of the day and not want to eat anything else. I have been this way for as long as I can remember.

So my question is: is it even possible to lose weight in a HEALTHY way if I'm missing out on the oddly named "most important meal of the day"? Or am I doomed to have my body in eternal starvation mode because of skipping meals?

Kiichigo
08-06-2010, 06:50 AM
/I am probably biased towards this question because I lost 4 pounds a week when I cut down on my breakfast

So I think you'll be fine without breakfast, as long as you eat plenty of small meals for the rest of the day to keep your metabolism up - healthy, small meals of course.

Kasinator
08-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I've tried more diet plans over the years than I care to remember, but nothing thus far has worked. The roadblock people tell me I keep hitting is that I don't eat breakfast. Mind you, I don't so this because of lack of time, or because I think that skipping meals will help me. My body simply cannot handle food for several hours after I first wake up. If I did eat breakfast I'd either just throw it back up or I'd feel sick for the rest of the day and not want to eat anything else. I have been this way for as long as I can remember.

So my question is: is it even possible to lose weight in a HEALTHY way if I'm missing out on the oddly named "most important meal of the day"? Or am I doomed to have my body in eternal starvation mode because of skipping meals?

Actually, you should do the exact opposite. Instead of eating three large meals a day, just eat six small meals incrementally. Now I know what you are thinking, How can I loose weight if I keep eating? Picture your body like a fireplace, and the food as wood to keep the fire (your body's metabolism) burning. If you put Good wood for burning into the fire one piece at a time, giving it enough time to burn well before you put the next piece of wood in, you are going to have quite the fire in no time! But if you were even using the same amount of wood in the fire only less frequently and put a bunch in at once, not only would the fire have been reduced to embers by the time you put the new wood on, it would also have a hard time burning that wood you put in. It might even put it out! :O

Your body treats food the exact same way. It would turn the food into fat because so much of it would not be digested! But if you ate smaller amounts of food throughout the day, your metabolism will skyrocket!

It's all in my nutrition page! (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=215689)

nikkiolie
08-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I typically don't eat breakfast and I have lost weight too. As long as you do what Kasinator says you should be fine. Six small meals a day. However I have been really bad about that. My body doesn't get hungry often so I can forget to eat ^_^;

Kanomi
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I always skip breakfast due to the fact that I can't eat in the morning xD. I wake up at around 11:30am (except for school) so usually my breakfast is my lunch. I don't really think skipping breakfast would be that bad, BUT if you're an early bird it's a must since you're using energy.

tsuoi_kaze
08-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm reading Kasinators (really awesome) nutrition page right now, and I'll keep in mind that others here have lost weight without eating breakfast. :)

Rjr3412
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
@tsuoi -How late at night do you eat? If you are eating within 2-3 hours or so of going to sleep its very likely this can cause your not being hungry in the morning. Additionally, if you are eating throughout the day, and trying to split it among 6 meals, its very important to realize how small each is. At 300 calories (a small fairly healthy sandwhich) for each meal, that puts you at 1800 calories for the day.

So if you want to get your meals in the morning, try putting more time between your last meal and bed, and just get in the habit of eating your breakfast.

@nikkiolie - One of the main points of doing the frequent meals is often that you never "do" get hungry. One of the failing points of a lot of peoples diets is that they put so much time in between meals that they feel starved and then binge. If you are never hungry this won't happen. What you should try is to set yourself a schedule and stick to it, hungry or not, while being concious of the size of the meal.

ValentineKitty
08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I actually always had the same problem, with feeling really sick whenever I ate right after I woke up, so you're not the only one. I find that if I wake up early and do something active for 30 minutes or so I can eat most things without feeling ill. But anything sugary is pretty much out until afternoon.

I'd say you're still fine without breakfast, though. I lost weight after I started eating it, but that was more because I'd forget to eat both breakfast and lunch. If you're able to snack a bit before lunch, you can keep your metabolism up in time for when you do eat lunch without having to feel sick in the morning. :)

T.S. Elliot
08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a naturally fast metabolism, but the best thing to do is eat small meals. Due to a recent schedule change, I work at night and sleep during the day. I don't really eat "breakfast" anymore. Just making sure you eat something small and filling, whenever you are ready, is the best course of action. Your body will feed off the small portions instead of storing the extra that it doesn't need. Try it out for a week or so and see how it works out.

Oh and by filling, I mean some sort of protein. For example, peanut butter on a wheat English muffin does a solid job of satisfying hunger.

DevTehFiend
08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I actually always had the same problem, with feeling really sick whenever I ate right after I woke up, so you're not the only one. I find that if I wake up early and do something active for 30 minutes or so I can eat most things without feeling ill. But anything sugary is pretty much out until afternoon.

I'd say you're still fine without breakfast, though. I lost weight after I started eating it, but that was more because I'd forget to eat both breakfast and lunch. If you're able to snack a bit before lunch, you can keep your metabolism up in time for when you do eat lunch without having to feel sick in the morning. :)

This sounds very similar to me. If I try to eat right after waking up I get sick, which makes me feel nervous about the day ahead and kind of throws me off track, but I've started a routine of waking up earlier, and if I have something to do that day and don't have time to actually exercise or something, I just do some stretches to get the blood moving, and then start getting ready. By the time I've had a shower and blow dried my hair I'll be hungry and I'll make myself an egg or a bowl of oatmeal/cereal and then finish getting ready (make-up, jewelry, miscellaneous crap.)

zuum
11-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I got the same problem as you. I simply just CAN'T eat anything after i wake up.
Just as the others said, as long as you eat many but small meals through the day, it should be okay. ^__^

The only advise I can give you, is when you leave for school/work grap a pease of fruit. You don't have to eat it right away but the same second you look at it and think "yum", take a bite and just eat slowly through it.
I travel long every day for work and sometimes gets bored on my way, then the fruit automaticly ends in my belly. Not because I'm hungry, but simple just to kill time. XD
And if you don't feel like eating it at all, just save it till you get hungry. ^__^

Best of luck!

oathtoorder
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Eat 1-2 bananas if you can stomach it, or just have some 100% juice :)

Aleiki
11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I usually run out of time for breakfast in the mornings, but when that happens I often grab a hard-boiled egg and eat it on my way out the door. It's quick and protein-packed, without being too sugary, and it's small. It'll give your body some energy without being an issue for people with high blood sugar. ... Is it low blood sugar? I'm like 90% sure I'm thinking of high blood sugar. Either way, my mom has it, I've got it on a lesser degree, and people in more extreme cases like my mom can't eat sugar on an empty stomach without feeling faint and light-headed and shaky. Not good :<

ANYWAY. I agree that a bunch of small, healthy meals (and protein-y things, rather than sugary things or candy) will probably help.

I'm afraid I can't exactly speak from a weight-loss perspective, I've stayed at about the same weight (give or take five pounds or so) for years, regardless of how I eat. :/ But I am of the understanding that more small meals are healthier.

SecretSoliloquy
11-24-2010, 01:30 PM

I used to feel really sick in the mornings too, especially after eating breakfast. One of those problems was I'm lactose intolerant and usually had cereal with milk. Do you eat dairy in the morning?

As for losing weight, I tell everyone this: go vegan. I was already thin when I started this diet (not for health reasons, but it worked out to be healthy for me), and I lost 5-10 pounds very quickly afterwards.

I don't have any method of measuring food, counting carbs or calories in this diet, I just try to eat as balanced meals as I can (beans, veggies, pasta). Although I admit that most of what I eat is carbs, I still manage to stay healthy and thin (am 5'3" and about 100 pounds). Many people will ask you "but how will you get your protein and calcium" and yadda yadda. I just take a general vitamin for vegans and eat what I eat, and my bloodwork is perfect. Not lacking in calcium, vitamin c, iron, protein, or anything else. Before I was vegan, I tended to be low in the aforementioned levels.

Of course everyone is different but this diet makes it so that I can eat anything I want, including desserts, and never gain weight. Others I know who follow this diet do the same and most of our social activities revolve around food. :P