PDA

View Full Version : Wigs vs Hair dye!

SilverFox
09-27-2003, 02:50 AM
I've been battling this little problem ever since I really got into making costumes and I STILL haven't quite found the right answer... :lost:

Maybe you guys can help? Puhwease? :D

So here's the dilemma...

I have long black straighter-than-stick hair and while I love it in RL, it's problematic sometimes for cosplay.

Wigs are or get expensive if you buy a lot of wigs and hair dye -- permanent or temporary -- doesn't like to stay in my hair. According to the last person who cut my hair (and I quote) "Your hair is TOO healthy."

WAAAAAH!!! :waaaah:

Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? Do you buy the wig(s), try and stick with characters whose hair color is similar to yours, or dye your hair? Or none of the above?

I know that for some characters like Sephiroth, wigs are sort of just almost necessary, but... If I keep going like this, I'll end up buying a LOT of wigs! LOL

Please help!

Michi
09-27-2003, 04:07 AM
Don't worry about it til you get to deciding about a certain character.. y'know? ^^; I would hate to only pick characters with hair like mine.. I've dyed my hair (only from ash brown to bright red / auburn shades, nothing crazy like blue or purple.. yet) for cosplay before, and then ended up really liking it anyway.. ^_^; But I'll buy wigs when necessary. o.o I've also ended up finding characters I can use the same wig for, or different outfits of the same character, to save money. :3

...I dunno if I'm even answering your question.. I'm tired from a long day of costumework and so forth (there's a con for me next weekend x.x), so my mind isn't exactly in the best condition.. ^^;;;

SilverFox
09-27-2003, 04:11 AM
^__^

No worries... I'm all sleepy from altering a top for a costume, too! So I know how you're feeling... @_@ zZZzZZzzz

Thanks for the response and now that I think about it, I guess I can reuse certain wigs, or if I don't need it anymore, then I can alter it...

*thinks some more*

I have a con to go to too in 3 weeks, hence the late night blabbing and such...

:D;;;

Michi
09-27-2003, 05:05 AM
Yeah. ^^

(What convention? :D)

See.. *points at her avatar* I did Kuja from Final Fantasy IX, and with the style and feather attachments I really could never use that wig for any other costume.. but I LOVE Kuja so I didn't mind spending the $70 or so for the wig + styling materials.. @_@
Then again.. I recently bought a wig for an Asamiya Athena costume.. and she has many costumes and I intend to do quite a few of them, so I'll get to reuse the wig a lot.. and it was only about $40.. I'm saving so much. XD

But I make weird decisions anyway. x.x I also like to do a lot of Shiranui Mai costumes because her hair is a lot like mine.. and it's nice to not have to worry about a wig. n.n I recently picked a few more outfits I can do without wigs. :bigtu:

So it's really your call. ^____^

Koumori
09-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Wigs. Wigs, wigs, wigs. It's worth every penny you spend on a good wig.

dustbunny690
09-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Wigs are much better I think since well I have a dark color hair. But I guess I f you are a blond then you could dye it. But the go thing about a wig is that you can wear it over and over again.

Gren
09-27-2003, 04:38 PM
I'll vote wigs, but that because I realllly like wigs. I'm almost always elect that the person go with wigs.

shiroi_yukiko
09-27-2003, 04:47 PM
I really like wigs too. You can do so much more with them. I even started buying wigs to replace my own hair for costumes where I normally would not need to wear one. (does that sentence make any sense at all? *shrug*) Anyway, I think it's worth the investment. And if you are bored, you can always wear them out normally... *cough* Not that I ever do that...

I dye my hair for costumes too though. Like right now, I have my hair dyed pink for one costume, and I bought a wig to cover the other one that I'm doing.

Michi
09-27-2003, 07:48 PM
^^; Haven't any of you "wigs!!" people ever found a character that you can use your own hair with fine? There are anime where its more realistic and characters don't always have crazy styles in odd colors.. o.o

Hitomi chan
09-28-2003, 12:03 AM
well... I got to say that the part of my body that I love the most is my hair. I don't want to cut it, so I buy wigs though they're expensive, sometimes I stay the whole day starving just to save some money for the wigs.
Some people say to me the same thing , that my heair is too healthy and pretty to do anything critical with it, and sometimes I think the same thing :p so I don't want to dye it. I dyed it once, for my Misato cosplay, temporary, but it was a real mess when I washed my hair, and the last time I dyed it was for Asuka's plugsuit, I wanted to be a truly redhaired girl for that cosplay, I don't know why 'cause with the other asuka's outfits I didn't dyed my hair.

SilverFox
09-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Wigs it is! LOL :D

I'm going to Yaoi-Con in San Francisco! WHEEE!!! ^__^V

What con are you going to, Michi?

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and their experiences. I suddenly feel better about my hair now... heeee!

*wavies to everyone!!!*

Sarcasm-hime
09-28-2003, 01:54 PM
I love being able to use my own hair for a cosplay, as it's much more comfortable...but most of the characters I want to do don't have the same hair as me, so usually I end up with wigs.

Hotaru
09-28-2003, 02:06 PM
for all of my costumes, i've used my own hair. for kiki, i cut it and dyed it black. should have straightened it too but..

for videl...i just redyed it black which i didn't mind.

then the next year i went as videl and then cut it in the hotel room to do kiki...bad idea.

and this year i cut it twice. i went to a salon cause i THOUGHT they'd do it right. god it was aweful! my sister ended up cutting it the way it's supposed to be. we dyed it cut it, straightened it, gelled it up...and it was a huge pain for several days. but it's nice and soft now.

if i do a character that needs long hair or say...purple hair or something i'll probably get a wig considering my hair is dark red now and i don't want to bleach it. i wouldn't mind purple hair but...

Serria
09-28-2003, 02:28 PM
If you need to change your hair alot for a chara, I suggest wigs, of course.

Gren
09-28-2003, 03:38 PM
^^; Haven't any of you "wigs!!" people ever found a character that you can use your own hair with fine? There are anime where its more realistic and characters don't always have crazy styles in odd colors.. o.o

Yes... I Actually did a pretty decent job ofstyling my own hair into spikes for Halloween town Sora. Got lots of questions and compliments. Then I made a wig. Now I get even more questions and compliments, and I don't lose any con time styling my hair. Wigs are fantastic. XD

And who wants to limit themselves to just characters with similar hair? Bleegh! Seymour Guado, here I come!

Michi
09-28-2003, 06:37 PM
I don't mean limiting yourself... ^^; I'll cosplay anyone I like, regardless of their hair.. but it's nice when I want to be a character that just happens to have brown hair in the style of mine up in a ponytail. ^_^; (*points at Mai*) But I won't stop myself from cosplaying someone because their hair is nothing like mine. (*points at Kuja*)

Anyyyyywaaaaayyyy ~ SilverFox, I'm going to Ani-Magic this weekend, but I'll be at YaoiCon too. ^_^!

SilverFox
09-29-2003, 04:38 PM
I don't mean limiting yourself... ^^; I'll cosplay anyone I like, regardless of their hair.. but it's nice when I want to be a character that just happens to have brown hair in the style of mine up in a ponytail. ^_^; (*points at Mai*) But I won't stop myself from cosplaying someone because their hair is nothing like mine. (*points at Kuja*)

Anyyyyywaaaaayyyy ~ SilverFox, I'm going to Ani-Magic this weekend, but I'll be at YaoiCon too. ^_^!

Heeeeeey then maybe I'll see you there or something, no? Would be cool to meet people from this board there! ^_^V

And thankies to everyone who gave their input...

I used my own hair when I cosplayed as Rikku from FFX because it was the right length and the styling was very easy. Amazingly enough, the people who recognized me as Rikku (a lot of people had to ask "Are you Rikku?") really liked the fact that I used my own hair. I guess it was a huge contrast since Rikku's a blonde and well... hehehehe... My hair is raven-black. :thumbsup:

hehehe...

^__^V