PDA

View Full Version : Prop Design/Construction Help?

Charubi
08-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi there! During my last convention, I tried on a cape a friend of mine made for her cosplay. We were discussing how epic capes were, and this led me to want to make a cosplay for Axel (from Kingdom Hearts) involving some sort of cape. We've got all the clothing figured out (insofar as we can before actually making anything xD) but have hit a bit of an "artistic difference" when it comes to the prop. xD

See, I want it to be a staff as tall as me but it must incorporate his chakrams. This is where we hit the snag - how should we position the chakrams? I'd be content with one on either end and just sacrificing the ability to set it on the ground for photos. My friend, however, thinks we can have the best of both worlds. She says that we could connect them both to one end but make one removable so it can be placed on the bottom for photos and left at the top with its pair otherwise. She thinks we can do this using PVC pipe - one long piece for the main shaft, and two L pieces to attach the chakrams. I can't get her to understand that we'd need a T piece to connect the L's to the long piece - that is, unless there's another PVC piece I don't know about? And wouldn't that just leave an awkward gaping hole whenever the one chakram was moved?

I guess, long story short, I have a few main questions (also known as the "tl;dr" portion):
1. If you were attaching Axel's chakrams to a staff, where would you place them? Both on one end, or one on each end?
2. What would be your preferred material to make something like this? (Please note, I do have a year to make this, but I'm also a poor college student with few resources. xD)
3. If we used PVC, is there some magical PVC connector piece I don't know of that can connect the L brackets to the main piece without a T bracket, or directly connect them but allow one to be removed?
4. If a piece could be found to allow one to be removed, wouldn't that leave a big hole? And if so, how would you get around that issue?

Thank you so much for reading through all this, I'm sorry it was so long. xD; I just wanted to be as clear as I possibly could (since we were speaking quite loud and making lots of hand motions while discussing it, and I can't do either of those over the internet). Any and all opinions/ideas would really be appreciated! Thanks again! 8D

DevTehFiend
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't go with PVC pipe at all. I'd go with what this tutorial says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9idaQpBtzo8

Also, I would put the chakrams at either end, like you're thinking, but make them BOTH removable, and make the one at the bottom smaller than the other (somewhat like the Bond of Flame keyblade, since that is also a different version of Axel's weapons.)

Charubi
08-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Ah, thanks for that tutorial! I'll definitely check it out.

And wow, I completely forgot about the Bond of Flame keyblade. Durrrr. Thanks for reminding me, that'll probably help a lot with the design! 8D

DevTehFiend
08-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Np, glad to be of help. ^^