PDA

View Full Version : Being... consistent?

Axelai
08-08-2010, 02:08 AM
I always read here on Cosplay.com about people working out, and then i get stoked. I jump up, go on my exercise bike, work out for an hour. Then i tell myself i'll do crunches every day. I do that for like... 3 days. Then i forget.

Then a month or two later, i find this forum again, and it repeats.

How do you stay focused on this? How do you remember to do crunches every day, or a workout? Should i set an alarm on my phone to yell at me to do it? I just can't stay motivated on this every day.

char99char
08-08-2010, 08:04 AM
For me - I have to plan for it. I have a time of day set aside for it and aim for 4 days a week. If I can do 5 - that's great. I also keep it to 30 minutes because I know I can do that consistently. I actually get up early enough to do it before I go to work. If there is a day or two I want to sleep in - that's ok because I'll work out the next day. Exercise is great for keeping in shape - but it's also great for reducing stress and sleeping better.

So - I would suggest start small and start with a plan (20 minutes a day three days a week). As you do that consistently - add more. Good luck!

Kasinator
08-08-2010, 08:50 AM
I always read here on Cosplay.com about people working out, and then i get stoked. I jump up, go on my exercise bike, work out for an hour. Then i tell myself i'll do crunches every day. I do that for like... 3 days. Then i forget.

well for one thing, don't try to do crunches every day! XD resistance exercises such as pushups, crunches and lift weights should be an every other day process. Your body needs recovery time. So the days you dont do pushups and cruches, ride that bike of yours for a half an hour. You wont get as bored and you are exercising more properly. When I started, i knew by the end of three months if I kept my routine up, i would look completely different. So i always kept that in mind. from there it just got easier because it became a habbit.

Giant Alucard
08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I normally do something everyday to keep active, so while I may not remember exactly "what" I have to do, I remember I have to do something hahah. I also have a dry erase board on my door that I check off each day after a workout, and as dorky as it is it helps! Plus i've noticed once you've done something for a couple weeks, you just make a habit of it (plus I would be lethargic if I didnt work out lol).

Axelai
08-08-2010, 04:51 PM
For me - I have to plan for it. I have a time of day set aside for it and aim for 4 days a week. If I can do 5 - that's great. I also keep it to 30 minutes because I know I can do that consistently. I actually get up early enough to do it before I go to work. If there is a day or two I want to sleep in - that's ok because I'll work out the next day. Exercise is great for keeping in shape - but it's also great for reducing stress and sleeping better.

So - I would suggest start small and start with a plan (20 minutes a day three days a week). As you do that consistently - add more. Good luck!

Thats the problem though. I can't keep it consistent. I forget after like... a week or two. That may just be my memory problems (as i do have a TERRIBLE memory. Even right now, i don't remember what i had for dinner last night). But i'll try to do that and see how long it takes til i forget, haha.

well for one thing, don't try to do crunches every day! XD resistance exercises such as pushups, crunches and lift weights should be an every other day process. Your body needs recovery time. So the days you dont do pushups and cruches, ride that bike of yours for a half an hour. You wont get as bored and you are exercising more properly. When I started, i knew by the end of three months if I kept my routine up, i would look completely different. So i always kept that in mind. from there it just got easier because it became a habbit.

Oh, the cheerleaders back in high school told me they did daily crunches to get their body, so i believed them XD;; Guess not. I'll try to do that then. If i remember x___x;;

I normally do something everyday to keep active, so while I may not remember exactly "what" I have to do, I remember I have to do something hahah. I also have a dry erase board on my door that I check off each day after a workout, and as dorky as it is it helps! Plus i've noticed once you've done something for a couple weeks, you just make a habit of it (plus I would be lethargic if I didnt work out lol).

Like its a habit of me to check my email every morning? haha. Well, i'll try something like that then. Just, silly me, i forget to check that dry erase board. I had one by my door once to remind me for homework, and i'd forget to check the board (lol). So i guess i SHOULD set an alarm on my phone. Since my phone is practically attached to my hip.

I hope i make a habit out of it. That sounds a little promising <3

craiken
08-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Sticky notes. I use my phone and comp a lot. On my phone I put alarms that go off when I was supposed to do some sort of exercise (I only have 2; weight lifting and cardio. I write down what I was supposed to do somewhere else) and I put sticky notes on my desk to remind me what I was supposed to do.

Having posters of the Human Body muscle wise as well as a food pyramid constantly helps.

Axelai
08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Sticky notes. I use my phone and comp a lot. On my phone I put alarms that go off when I was supposed to do some sort of exercise (I only have 2; weight lifting and cardio. I write down what I was supposed to do somewhere else) and I put sticky notes on my desk to remind me what I was supposed to do.

Having posters of the Human Body muscle wise as well as a food pyramid constantly helps.

I just set alarms on my phone.

...as i am eating cheetos. *head/desk*

EDIT: They're baked cheetos. So not too bad >_> I'm going to go ride the bike now.

Kasinator
08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Money is also a great incentive. when I bout my first workout DVDs i was like: " i paid wayy too much for these to let them just sit there!" LOL look where it got me!

Giant Alucard
08-08-2010, 08:21 PM
That is very true! I bout the p90x originally and used the price I paid for it as a incentive to get my butt in gear. You can also make a bet with your friends. Say something like "I have to lose x amount by this date or I owe you (insert bet here)". I have seen this work for alot of people, specially those that dont like to lose hahah. People will normally work harder if they see themselves having something on the line, or at least an attainable goal. Thats another thing, while you may have a huge long term goal, set shorter goals for yourself as well! This why while you'll still be progressing to that huge goal down the line, you can use the smaller goals as markers for progress and motivation.

InkyDoo
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I keep a planner and usually put down when I'm going to work out and what I'm doing simply changing one day to upper body and then the next day lower. I aim to work out everyday but this doesn't always happens but when I do I put a sticker on it and it makes me feel like I achieved a something for that day (I know this sounds elementary but its nice seeing stickers in my planner). My goal is usually to fill out the week with stickers, it motivates me despite the simplicity of it.

My brother also has me working out during commercials in the evenings like squats or curls instead of snacking in front of the tube.

sythe2010
08-08-2010, 11:42 PM
It seems like you didn't stick with it long enough to make it a habit :( That's what happens to me sometimes. I'll go for about three days, and I'll think, I'll keep up with this, but it doesn't happen.

The first couple of weeks you're going to need a lot of motivation to go. I'd write it down. What happened to me after awhile is that it became habit, and I felt weird if I didn't go.

Sorahana
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I am trying to stick to it now but when I'm too tired from work, I'm like "Too tired today, let me try tomorrow...." yea.
I am using WiiFit and I try to remind myself that WiiFit will "yell" at me (Where have you been?! it says) or when I see that I gained weight, WiiFit says "You've gained *insert amount here* since last time!! What could be causing this?!"

Oh WiiFit...lol. So I keep making a mental note to myself that if I don't keep excercising, I'm going to just keep gaining weight and be even more unhappier then I am with my weight/figure. And that WiiFit will continue acknowledging that stuff XD.

Another thing is high blood pressure/cholesterol run in my family so I need to be exercising to keep that away for longer (or completely would be great). My parents don't exercise, so another reason I know I need to exercise is so I don't have the same issues.

I also think about how flabby my arms looked when I tried to put on the black armbands for Songstress Yuna (horrifying). That mental image reminds me that I need to work my arms and exercise more.

kmorch 215
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
This is just my own opinion but I think this goes for the majority. After working out and feeling sore the next day and 'not' being able to see any type of results is a shocker. People will then start to lose focus and become less interested in working out. When I see new faces at the gym, I usually give them a 1-2 week estimate before not seeing them again.

Working out takes a lot of self discipline, and if you are able to push through even the first month, you'll notice changes(whether it's being able to lift heavier weights or lasting longer with your cardio exercises) and that becomes a real confidence booster.

So for my advice, as the Nike slogan goes: Just do it.
Having spare time is rare for some and most people will want to spend it with a little R&R, but if you can muster up the strength to start the exercise, hopefully, you'll get into the 'zone' and complete it.

distantarray
08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I take a pre-workout supplement like white flood, or jack3d. It gives me enough energy that I'm out the door within 15minutes lol. When I'm tingling i'm good to go =)

Tingling is a side effect of beta alanine, feels like sparks igniting all over your body, I love the feeling, beta alanine is proven to be great for the heart nothing bad =)

kawaiiXnoXjutsu
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
It helps me work out that I'm on a school sports team, so I have healthy competition and teammates that work out with me.

If you like to work out with other people, maybe try signing yourself up for gym classes. Or I know that they have community meet ups for stuff like mountain bikings. Also, the local parks around my house hold work out camps twice a week for 8 weeks in the evenings. Oh! And collegiate sports are an option to (especially if your in college where they have tons of sports teams)! So, if you can't get motivated, maybe having other people around going through the same workouts as you can help. :D

Ceehl
08-12-2010, 12:17 AM
For me, I'm heading into the military soon, so I'll go into the bathroom and yell in my drill serg. voice that I'm overweight and not working out isn't going to do anything about it xD So maybe look in the mirror each morning and tell yourself: "I want to change this about me and I need to do this in order to do so." That, or not sure if mentioned, but if you have a cell phone, make an event on a day and have it repeat each day at a certain time that you want to work out (make sure your phone volume is loud too!). If you don't have a cell phone with you, then make a note on an online calendar, or maybe prepost sticky notes at night before bed for the next day. :)

Kayomi
08-13-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm one of those folks who was good for a while and then slacked off. I was getting really good while working on my grad thesis because the 30 mins a day helped to clear my head and write better. Then came the onslaught of trying to find a job and moving - I was bad and let that take such a high priority, I forgot myself in the mix. Result: feeling crummy again.

As an avid WoW player, my new goal is to make sure I work out before every raid - no work out, no raid. Have a fav show on weeknights? You only get to watch it as a reward to yourself for working out. Once you've done this for a few weeks, your body will get more and more used to it to the point where it almost craves that satisfaction. And let's face it, a work out high is a pretty wonderful thing.

Most importantly, always remember that you're doing this for you. Your happiness is the greatest motivation out there. :)

Hcoregamer00
08-14-2010, 12:19 AM
The most important thing is to set aside time.

I balance working part time, going to graduate school, doing part-time managerial work for Anime Expo, and Exercise. I set aside on hour of every day for exercise. Consistency is key, keep doing it and your realize that you start doing it without reminding yourself.

distantarray
08-14-2010, 03:29 PM
setting alarms works well, personally my friends are always idiots and going GYM TIME WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol, but we go late at night 10pm-midnight since they close at 12 it's like an alarm clock, or a last call kinda deal. I find it easier to go before they close cause it pushes you to go before they close even if it's for only 30minutes.

Cyanna
08-15-2010, 01:35 AM
What keeps me going is a separate goal that's totally unrelated to cosplay.

Before I was a fan of anime I was a fan of classic Disney films and toons. A few months ago I decided that was going to run the 2013 Walt Disney World marathon (run to, and through, all four parks). But before then I want to to conquer a 5K, an 8K, a 10K, and a half marathon (most likely the Disney Princess Half in 2012 with my sister).

Hopefully by the time that race rolls around I'd have made running an embedded habit. If I complete the marathon I'll go on to Disneyland's half marathon for the coast-to-coast medal. Then I'll have to conquer the Goofy Challenge (or the fan-named "Dopey Challenge").

That's a very specific dream on a specific timetable with a specific goal (to complete it) and not an arbitrary one like tied to how I perceive my body's appearance. Losing weight is more of a welcome side effect of my training rather than the goal.

Also while I have yet to notice any significant weight loss I have noticed significant improvement in my running. When I started I couldn't even run for a minute without serious leg pain. Now I can go over 20 minutes (or a full mile) straight through without pain or losing my breath...and I'm still only a beginner.

distantarray
08-15-2010, 03:45 AM
What keeps me going is a separate goal that's totally unrelated to cosplay.

Before I was a fan of anime I was a fan of classic Disney films and toons. A few months ago I decided that was going to run the 2013 Walt Disney World marathon (run to, and through, all four parks). But before then I want to to conquer a 5K, an 8K, a 10K, and a half marathon (most likely the Disney Princess Half in 2012 with my sister).

Hopefully by the time that race rolls around I'd have made running an embedded habit. If I complete the marathon I'll go on to Disneyland's half marathon for the coast-to-coast medal. Then I'll have to conquer the Goofy Challenge (or the fan-named "Dopey Challenge").

That's a very specific dream on a specific timetable with a specific goal (to complete it) and not an arbitrary one like tied to how I perceive my body's appearance. Losing weight is more of a welcome side effect of my training rather than the goal.

Also while I have yet to notice any significant weight loss I have noticed significant improvement in my running. When I started I couldn't even run for a minute without serious leg pain. Now I can go over 20 minutes (or a full mile) straight through without pain or losing my breath...and I'm still only a beginner.

You living in Florida? anyways don't be worried your not losing weight your probably just losing fat and gaining muscle. I lost 15% body fat and still maintained my weight which is awesome =)

losing body fat should be the goal not weight in general, most people lose excess water weight and etc so it doesn't even really count imo. if you look better and feel better it's all that matters.

Cyanna
08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
You living in Florida? anyways don't be worried your not losing weight your probably just losing fat and gaining muscle. I lost 15% body fat and still maintained my weight which is awesome =)

losing body fat should be the goal not weight in general, most people lose excess water weight and etc so it doesn't even really count imo. if you look better and feel better it's all that matters.

Actually I'm from New Jersey. :p

And that is true. That's why I made a note to say that there is more to progress than a scale number. For 15 years if you told me that someday I'd actually be able to comfortably run a mile, even a slow mile, I'd have laughed in your face. I've never been able to do that until very recently.

distantarray
08-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Actually I'm from New Jersey. :p

And that is true. That's why I made a note to say that there is more to progress than a scale number. For 15 years if you told me that someday I'd actually be able to comfortably run a mile, even a slow mile, I'd have laughed in your face. I've never been able to do that until very recently.

body adapts pretty quickly when you actually try, sad thing is people don't actually try or lose motivation cause they can't lose 30 pounds in 30 days like they claim on tv...

Qemba
08-18-2010, 02:50 AM
I have the problem too. The best thing to do is (if you have a cell phone) Set a certain time everyday on the calander tool and have an alarm that goes off when it's time.

Zombie Hadouken
08-18-2010, 02:56 AM

How do you stay focused on this? How do you remember to do crunches every day, or a workout? Should i set an alarm on my phone to yell at me to do it? I just can't stay motivated on this every day.

I find that keeping a mirror in every room of the house and having a bad self image will motivate most people.
we generally dont start a workout unless we FEEL out of shape or LOOK fat or weak.
having a workout partner is great, someone to motivate you to do "one more set".
It also helps if Their in better shape than you, it gives you some thing to aim for.

And if you do smoke POT, Quit! motivation is key to working out, and pot kills motivation.
I recently quit drinking and smoking (cut back on cigarettes to a few a day) and i have 100 times more energy.