PDA

View Full Version : Good arm exercises?

stolen_valkyrie
08-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey all -

I've got a con in 4 weeks and I'll be toting a pair of heavy props (swords) that'll be hard on my wrists/arms. I have some 4-7 lb sets of dumbbells, and an exercise bike at home (for cardio) but I'm really hesitant to go to the gym because my cosplay has made me poor :D

Can you recommend some good arm exercises to bulk me up in time? Or help, anyway?

Thanks!

Kasinator
08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
First, thanks for dropping a line on this board. I hope you read the stickies which explain a lot of important things. To be honest you are not going to see drastic changes in one month. three months sure, but one is kinda pushing it. Remember TO READ THE STICKIES. :) I just really want to stress they will answer some very important things A LOT of people DO NOT KNOW. the resources i have there have plenty of good arm exercises as well as the rest of your body you need to work out.

stolen_valkyrie
08-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I read the stickies, and didn't really find what I was looking for - that's why I asked here.

I'm not looking to become super strong or see enormous changes. I'm just wondering if people have simple arm exercises that will help me boost my endurance and get those muscles warmed up. I don't get a lot of help out of websites - usually they just intimidate me :(

sythe2010
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
The arm has to be conditioned like any other body part. Make sure you give it plenty of rest in between workouts.

Make sure you exercise all aspects of the arm too, not just the bicep.

There's the bicep curl, hammer curl, tricep extension, wrist curl, and if you can manage to find one of those cheap chin up bars, you should do those. Make sure to do the exercises slow both on the up and the down motion. Can't tell how many people I see going slow on the up and then coming down real fast because they think it doesn't matter.

Kasinator is right, you won't see massive gains in one month, but I have seen some people gain enough in a month's time but it took a lot of work.

Kasinator
08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I read the stickies, and didn't really find what I was looking for - that's why I asked here.

I'm not looking to become super strong or see enormous changes. I'm just wondering if people have simple arm exercises that will help me boost my endurance and get those muscles warmed up. I don't get a lot of help out of websites - usually they just intimidate me :(

I see. well if you go to scoobysworkshop.com and go to the exercises for biceps, triceps, forearms, and shoulders you should have a bunch of good ones you can utilize. if you have no weights, stick with pushups and pullups. these will not only work the arms but the chest and back to give you a more even look throughout the body.

If you really want some serious changes to occur, take a look at the knuckleheaded ninja workout (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=214425) I set up for this board. we have at least one person trying it now and she is getting some excellent progress from it.

Sorry about sounding pushy on the sticky bit. I just spend a lot of time writing only to find a lot of people ignore them. XD

I just updated the FAQ topic in line to your question for further details.