PDA

View Full Version : Waists and Legs?

WinterEffect_
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Hellooo.

Basically, my sister and I are really curious as to what we can do to lose inches off our waists and tone our hips and legs.

I actually have been struggling to lose weight for awhile now and have a gym membership, but it's not seeming to do anything. As far as I know/think, I'm doing a pretty good workout; more than what's usually suggested but I'm not getting any results.

I was just curious on perhaps if anyone has any tips or suggestions on what I can do that I'm not aware of. (pertaining to losing weight in general and how long/much it takes or waists and legs exercises)

sythe2010
08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
You're going to see the most improvement if you change your diet. If you have been doing this for awhile now and haven't made progress, it's probably because of your diet.

Running/Aerobic on your off days can help you slim down on your legs. Basically you're going to need to burn calories to slim down.

I would also add in leg workouts such as the usual ones, but make sure to add in squats and lunges in order to make sure when you lose the weight it looks good.

WinterEffect_
08-09-2010, 01:03 AM
I do eat pretty good though. ~.~
I've changed a lot since I started.
But it's definitely not super strict or anything. I guess I'll really need to crack down.

Well, I got my gym membership in March but I wasn't able to start until May. And I did good for 3 weeks, skipped out the next month and a half and went sparingly, and have been do really good for almost two months now.

So I guess it's not been awhile, awhile but I'm just impatient. /:

sythe2010
08-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah that's understandable I get the same way. I think if you do the cardio and also add in those squats and lunges into your leg program you should see an improvement.

chinna
08-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I agree with whats already been said. Cardio is the key. I've lost 3 inches off my waist in basicly no time with just doing alot of cardio and eating smaller portions.

WinterEffect_
08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok thanks guys. C:

I do a good 45 minutes of cardio about 2 to 4 times a week, so I'll just keep that up and add in more leg exercises. I'll probably try some hula-hooping too. ~.~

sythe2010
08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Luxuria85
08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I know how you feel Winter. At the end of every school year I come back home and get a gym membership. This year though about 4 weeks in I went on a month long trip to West Virginia to visit my boyfriend, so that was a full month of losing my cardio beat. I'm back now and I do about an hour on an elliptical (it's easier on my bad knee) with a good portion of resistance. I then do a small muscle toning workout with arms, legs, and tummy. It turns into sometimes a REALLY pushing yourself sort of thing, but all I do is think of something and I realize this is what I need to do to get there. Best of luck!!! :)

WinterEffect_
08-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Thanksss, will do.

I also forgot to mention that, besides cardio, I also work with free hand weights doing flys and tricep extentions. I also do 60-100 crunches on this inclined bench thing in the weight room. And I'll do some weight machines they have there, but I don't know their specific names.

Just wanted to add that so it doesn't seem like cardio is all I do. ^^;

I know how you feel Winter. At the end of every school year I come back home and get a gym membership. This year though about 4 weeks in I went on a month long trip to West Virginia to visit my boyfriend, so that was a full month of losing my cardio beat. I'm back now and I do about an hour on an elliptical (it's easier on my bad knee) with a good portion of resistance. I then do a small muscle toning workout with arms, legs, and tummy. It turns into sometimes a REALLY pushing yourself sort of thing, but all I do is think of something and I realize this is what I need to do to get there. Best of luck!!! :)

An hour on that thing? geeeezee. I'd be bored out of my mind! @~@
The longest I've been on it was 45 mintues... once. (usually only do 30)
But then right after it I power walk up the highest incline that the treadmill will go up to for only about 15..

Probably should start doing a little more. Kinda motivates me thanks. C:

That's what I do too. Lately all I've been thinking is how bad I want nice legs, haha. Damn mini skirt cosplay..

Thanks, you too!

distantarray
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
losing weight off the hips is cardio / nutrition. Most important thing is knowing when to take things.

Eat 6 times a day, don't eat within an hour of working out, 30 minutes prior to workout it's good to take in carbs like a fruit drink like OJ and some coffee, preworkout supplement if you plan on taking one for a boost of energy. DIRECTLY after a workout you should take some type of fast digesting protein, and some carbs after to replenish. Besides that make sure your getting in enough calories, and make sure your getting enough protein. Just cause people eat fruits and veggies doesn't mean they're eating right, not all things are created equal. Grapes are worthless compared to apples and pears, and iceburg lettuce is terrible when compared to romaine and red leaf and spinich.

I don't like to say diet because most people think diet means to eat less, when it's healthy to actually eat more while working out and losing weight PROPERLY. Just find what works for you, but if you really want to tone, lift weights, no iffs and butts about it, lift HEAVY weights will create muscle definition and mass. Building muscle and losing fat are ONLY two ways to truly tone your body.

Sisshi
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
One summer I rode my bike everywhere, that or I walked. My calves muscled up and slimmed down a bit. If I hadn't fallen off and broken my baby toe (I hit a pothole and was wearing flip flops) I would have been able to keep up with it. My thighs were starting to tone up when I had to stop.

In teh winter, just walking through the snow will tone up some muscle. Just make sure to keep warm. My thigs were killing me the day after I walked a mile in snow that was about 7 inches @.@

But exersizes that work your legs will slim them down and then start to add muscle, biking helped a bit with my waist but sit ups or crunches will help with the waist. Make a core workout and stick to it.

Luxuria85
08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanksss, will do.
An hour on that thing? geeeezee. I'd be bored out of my mind! @~@
The longest I've been on it was 45 mintues... once. (usually only do 30)
But then right after it I power walk up the highest incline that the treadmill will go up to for only about 15..

Probably should start doing a little more. Kinda motivates me thanks. C:

That's what I do too. Lately all I've been thinking is how bad I want nice legs, haha. Damn mini skirt cosplay..

Thanks, you too!

See, I can't do treadmill because it puts too much force on my wonky knee (the kneecap likes to pop out!). I just pop in my iPod and listen to some really motivating music...somehow right now that's Rob Zombie haha.

sythe2010
08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanksss, will do.

I also forgot to mention that, besides cardio, I also work with free hand weights doing flys and tricep extentions. I also do 60-100 crunches on this inclined bench thing in the weight room. And I'll do some weight machines they have there, but I don't know their specific names.

Just wanted to add that so it doesn't seem like cardio is all I do. ^^;

I don't think you need to be doing that many crunches really. It's like if you were doing 60-100 bench presses. Your abs are just like any other part of your body. If you're working them out like that I think you actually run the risk of making them even bigger which could be a problem if your trying to lose weight there.

Why not try mixing it up with some other ab exercises but more challenging ones? Cut down on the amount of reps. If you can do 100 of something you're more building up your abs for endurance (to take a lot of stress) when you should be trying to go for making it look good.

WinterEffect_
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
They aren't done all in a row. I usually go with a friend and she'll do 20 then I'll go and we'll repeat a few times. So it's 3 or 4 sets of 20 reps. And it doesn't really seem like I'm doing that many. And for one set I'll try to do full sit-ups.

I don't really know of any other ab exercises besides figure4's.. but I usually don't do those because I don't feel like I'm doing it right ><

Okay. I'll try to search for more things I can do.

distantarray
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think you need to be doing that many crunches really. It's like if you were doing 60-100 bench presses. Your abs are just like any other part of your body. If you're working them out like that I think you actually run the risk of making them even bigger which could be a problem if your trying to lose weight there.

Why not try mixing it up with some other ab exercises but more challenging ones? Cut down on the amount of reps. If you can do 100 of something you're more building up your abs for endurance (to take a lot of stress) when you should be trying to go for making it look good.

Not trying to be mean but don't give her false information please. It might seem like the right thing to say but your greatly under-estimating bodybuilding.

Even when I was doing 5 hours of martial arts in my teens a day 5 days a week, I did 200-500 crunches/sit ups a day and my abs never got "huge" They become nice and toned. Huge abs will only come from lifting HUGE weights. Currently I'm trying to build up my abs doing crunches and sit ups with 50-70 pounds of resistance on the cable machine and it's still taking time to progress.

even if you try to get huge as a woman you'll fail, no matter how much weights you lift, how hard you lift, even if that's your goal to become huge most people just don't have the dedication motivation and drive to succeed. Especially cause the margin of error in workout and nutrition is a lot smaller than that of a man.

I guarenttee you that if a guy does 200 push ups a day, and 500 crunches a day they'll never become huge, they'll look like they work out a bit, but more of a cross fitter than a bodybuilder than anything.

This is became there are two main types of hypertrophy. Myofibullar and sarcoplasmic. High reps like 200 crunches, and 100 push ups are sarcoplasmic they'll build endurance but little to no muscle mass since it's mostly fluid build up to help build longer lasting muscles.

Myofibullar is muscle size and strength. Anything over 12-15 reps will induce more of a sarcoplasmic reaction.

Not to mention that only way a woman can truly become huge without the use of hormones or steroids is to use sheer determination through impeccible dieting and working out to force her body to stop menstruating. (drop the body fat % low enough and you will basically turn into a guy 4-10% everyone's different) the woman will start to lower it's estrogen production and up it's testosterone production. I keep saying this over and over but too many people don't understand how hard it is to achieve. People automatically assume that they buy a bottle of protein them BOOM incredible hulk.

River.
08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
What he said. I use to do crossfit, very hard, timed intense workouts similar to a boot camp. You sweat and you bleed, people yell and curse at you to keep going. I don't remember how many times I ripped my hands open while doing as many kipping pullups as fast as I can within 5 mins. Even with successfully completing workouts like "Murph" ( Run 1 mile, do 100 pullups, 200 pushups 300 squats, then run another mile) I never got huge, even with my max deadlift at the time being around 250. That's heavy for a 5'6, 125 lb woman. I gained a lot of weight in muscles though. I went from like 125lbs to 135lb. It took a year to do that with strict paleolithic dieting (and when I mean diet, I don't mean eating less, I mean eating MORE and healthy nutrition with lots of proteins). And I was someone who had a low fat percentage in the first place, I've always been thin and never had a problem with weight, I did the program because of the challenge. It took many months to a year to REALLY tone out and get strong and gain 10 lbs of muscles. Distantarray is absolutely correct.

You need to have real motivation to get huge. Some women do pack on muscles easier than others though. But that also depends on your diet. Don't think just because you are going to the gym, you can eat like crap either, which is the mistake I see a lot of people do.

Sadly I quit my training last November because I can't afford it anymore. Entered a couple competitions though before I left and did well. I've lost some of that muscle mass I packed on, now I'm back down in the 120s, still with a very low body fat percentage because I run several miles per day and just do strength training a couple times per week to stay tone.

A person doesnt need to go all hardcore like I did, but cardio, strength training and healthy eating is a way to get burn fat and get toned, but don't expect to see results overnight. I mean I was skinny as can be before I started this intense working out regimen, and it still took months for me to even see any major changes. I have nice toned abs and that's just with cardio and eating well. I hardly ever do things like crunches. Proof in my book that trying to spot reduce is silly. Also keep in mind more muscle = more weight.

I forgot to mention that everyone is different and I'm convinced a bit does have to do with your genetics. I come from a family/ancestors who were/are farmers and seafarers, tribesmen, and hunters LOL. My methods may not work for everyone, but give them a shot, message me for any tips, as a female athlete/work-out fanatic - I can help out =D, I also have a lot of nutrition training but never got my cert cause it cost too much! Right now I am training for triathlon next year and I have a few races coming up this fall, so I can always give you tips/ideas on what you can do too!

distantarray
08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
What he said. I use to do crossfit, very hard, timed intense workouts similar to a boot camp. You sweat and you bleed, people yell and curse at you to keep going. I don't remember how many times I ripped my hands open while doing as many kipping pullups as fast as I can within 5 mins. Even with successfully completing workouts like "Murph" ( Run 1 mile, do 100 pullups, 200 pushups 300 squats, then run another mile) I never got huge, even with my max deadlift at the time being around 250. That's heavy for a 5'6, 125 lb woman. I gained a lot of weight in muscles though. I went from like 125lbs to 135lb. It took a year to do that with strict paleolithic dieting (and when I mean diet, I don't mean eating less, I mean eating MORE and healthy nutrition with lots of proteins). And I was someone who had a low fat percentage in the first place, I've always been thin and never had a problem with weight, I did the program because of the challenge. It took many months to a year to REALLY tone out and get strong and gain 10 lbs of muscles. Distantarray is absolutely correct.

You need to have real motivation to get huge. Some women do pack on muscles easier than others though. But that also depends on your diet. Don't think just because you are going to the gym, you can eat like crap either, which is the mistake I see a lot of people do.

Sadly I quit my training last November because I can't afford it anymore. Entered a couple competitions though before I left and did well. I've lost some of that muscle mass I packed on, now I'm back down in the 120s, still with a very low body fat percentage because I run several miles per day and just do strength training a couple times per week to stay tone.

A person doesnt need to go all hardcore like I did, but cardio, strength training and healthy eating is a way to get burn fat and get toned, but don't expect to see results overnight. I mean I was skinny as can be before I started this intense working out regimen, and it still took months for me to even see any major changes. I have nice toned abs and that's just with cardio and eating well. I hardly ever do things like crunches. Proof in my book that trying to spot reduce is silly. Also keep in mind more muscle = more weight.

I forgot to mention that everyone is different and I'm convinced a bit does have to do with your genetics. I come from a family/ancestors who were/are farmers and seafarers, tribesmen, and hunters LOL. My methods may not work for everyone, but give them a shot, message me for any tips, as a female athlete/work-out fanatic - I can help out =D, I also have a lot of nutrition training but never got my cert cause it cost too much! Right now I am training for triathlon next year and I have a few races coming up this fall, so I can always give you tips/ideas on what you can do too!
nice to see a female fitness fanatic that's on the boards now that's not afraid to give some good advice =)

we had Andy Lee for a while who was our resident female weight lifter on the forums, but saddly we haven't seen much of her lately =(

sythe2010
08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Haha, I was not saying she was going to be huge. You totally mistook my point there. Sorry, I totally agree with you on your points I think we just misunderstood each other.

I know it takes a lot to get huge.

My point was I just get tired of seeing people over doing ab exercises. The ab is a muscle that needs to be trained, but just as much as every other muscle in your body does.

If someone goes to the gym, does ab exercises, and eats pretty much the same...I'm going to suggest that their abs will get bigger because they are working out that muscle.

Now if you work out all of your muscles, and do some really good cardio, I mean kick your ass at it, and then eat right, you're going to be burning fat...thus your abs will start to show more because the fat around it is being eliminated.

Doing hundreds of ab exercises is not the way to go when your beginning. It's essentially doing cardio, but not at a rate that is really beneficial, when you can be doing other things that will be more helpful like lifting or doing some high intensity cardio like running or cardio machines.

Plus, I did suggest doing ab exercises, only more difficult ones. Like weighted ones. Or ones that work different areas of the abs. She was just doing one form of ab exercise really when there are a lot of different ones that work different areas of the abs.

Sure, you did a ton of ab exercises when you were working out in your teen distantarray, and say you got toned, but you also said you were doing 5 hours of martial arts too, which is a cardio exercise (and if you're doing 5 hours of it you're definitely going to be losing weight aka burning off the layers of fat around your abs and making them look ripped).

Basically my point is, doing 200 crunches isn't going to make you bigger in that area (unless that's really all your doing in the gym and eating the same). It's going to make your abs better at endurance or taking stress, but she doesn't want that, she just wants them to look better! Not to perform better.

So there are better ways to go about it with your time, like doing weighted ab exercises and mixing it up there, plus doing a better cardio than a lot crunches, since it will help burn the fat so you can actually see around the waist and the abs eventually!

Not saying that WinterEffect isn't doing all the things I said, but I was just making a point because I see this a lot in the gym and women especially need to be careful about this because of all the misinformation about.

air4akito
08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
For your legs just play DDR on heavy(expert) or challenge mode for an hour every night. It won't do much for your stomach or anything, but it made my legs super muscular and shapely(no bulky muscular and shapely, just look at my miku photos to see), which really helps me when i crossplay. (I'm already skinny enough in my upper body, but i do lack hips xD)

SuzuStarlight
08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I suggest dancing (mostly anime dances, like Hare Hare Yukai or those from Sailor Moon Live Action) and Hula Hoop- it's fun, easy and it works pretty well :D

Kayomi
08-13-2010, 11:40 PM
See, I can't do treadmill because it puts too much force on my wonky knee (the kneecap likes to pop out!). I just pop in my iPod and listen to some really motivating music...somehow right now that's Rob Zombie haha.

I hear ya on that one - I have a permanently dislocated patella myself. XD Along with the elliptical, recumbant bikes are wonderful, too - much better for bad knees than a regular bike. Also, you can do side-step squats on the treadmill - great for the legs and some nice back end toning. :3

Most of my leg toning exercises are from the strengthening ones I did during physical therapy. The majority of them involve squats - wall squats with a kickball between your knees, side-stepping squats , resistance bands...I always swore she was trying to kill me, but along with the weak muscles getting stronger, my thighs are almost pure muscle now.