PDA

View Full Version : Weak upper body...help?

Sorahana
08-09-2010, 10:31 AM
So...I have a pretty strong lower body but my upper body needs some help.

I've seen recommended excercises and I see one routine has 30 push ups included...I can barely lift myself up for 3 pushups without falling over :waaaah:.

I was just wondering if there is a type of exercise I can do to help me get to the point where I am able to do pushups much easier.

Rjr3412
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
30 pushups can be a lot for someone who has not been exercising with any regularity. This, and all workouts, is something to work up to, and then eventually surpass.

Start with knee pushups, where instead of being on your toes and hands, you bend your knees and have them on the ground. Aim for ~5.

Does this wind/exhaust you? Is this the main thing you want to improve?

One useful trick I found for this sort of thing, is while you're watching TV or something, do a "set" every commercial break. That gives you a ton of rest in between, but will still let you see progress.

So over an hour, you will have done 20-30 pushups.

Over time either up the number or make it more difficult. When you can do 15 or so knee push ups in one go, switch to doing regular push ups and drop the number down to something manageable and work your way back up.

Remember there is no rush, just take your time and keep at it. You'll reach your goal sooner than you think.

Kasinator
08-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Exactly what Rjr3412 said. Modify your moves. It is always hard at first. I dont recommend the tv idea though (maybe if its an infomercial LOL) since you dont want to take too long a break. Time is still a factor you just want to steady your pace.

Rjr3412
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Lol, I used the TV thing when I wanted to be able to do pull-ups almost a decade ago. When I started I could barely do one or two, and worked up to repping out about 15 or so at a time, each commercial break over an hour or two most days of the week.
Its completely anaerobic that way but effective ;)

A big part of it at first can just be learning proper form (very important) and just building the coordination of involving all the proper muscles. It can be astounding the progress someone can make when they figure out the right way to do something

sythe2010
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Push ups might just be hard for you, but other exercises might be easier. Why not try mixing it up a little? Get some dumbells (not too big) and try doing presses. You can also do dips if there's anywhere for you to do that. They might be easier for you if that part of your chest is more developed which is probably is if you can't do many push ups.

By mixing it up you'll find the push ups get easier over time too.

distantarray
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
easiest way is to do put ups against a table or a higher surface to place your hands on, naturally less of your body weight will be directly effected by gravity and make it easier, if your really weak you can lean against the wall and push yourself off, keep lowering the distance to the ground as it gets easier.