PDA

View Full Version : Does Dancing work?

Yukimashi
08-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I looked through most of the posts on the first page of this topic and i saw all the weight lifting threads and a couple of dancing ones but does Dancing work as well as weightlifting/cardio ?

Since i'm an anime freak i would love to learn the anime dances that seem to be everywhere so that's something that would be easy to dedicate myself to. I play DDR every now and again but never really stick to it.

I'd like to loose about 20 pounds at least in 4 months. The only thing i drink is water and i have a healthy diet, its just that i never excersise.

Would dancing as in the Love&Joy dance and the Dango get me to my goal?

distantarray
08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
I looked through most of the posts on the first page of this topic and i saw all the weight lifting threads and a couple of dancing ones but does Dancing work as well as weightlifting/cardio ?

Since i'm an anime freak i would love to learn the anime dances that seem to be everywhere so that's something that would be easy to dedicate myself to. I play DDR every now and again but never really stick to it.

I'd like to loose about 20 pounds at least in 4 months. The only thing i drink is water and i have a healthy diet, its just that i never excersise.

ANYTHING that gets your heart rate up will help you lose weight and build muscle. No matter what you do is better than sitting on your butt eating bon bons and watching a movie. About 20 pounds in 4months is a pretty hard goal, should be about 1-2 pounds a week healthy, but at first couple weeks pounds comes off easier cause you'll lose water weight not fat or muscle.

If you have INTENSITY in your workouts it should be possible, but you also need WILL POWER and MOTIVATION out of the gym or workouts as well with your diet. Losing weight PROPERLY and staying healthy requires you to do everything correctly. Too many people just lose "weight" and don't realize they're often sacrificing muscle and fat at the same time pushing themselves too hard without eating enough.

heyyitsmags
08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
It can help you cut down on weight, especially if you continue to eat a healthy diet (which you seem to have). You simply need the motivation and the time. Though I think 20 pounds is a bit much to loose in 2 months, I suppose it could be possible. Not with dance alone though, you might need to go to the gym or find another type of workout. Simply get your heart rate up through some cardio and you'll start loosing the weight.

AND! It's always easier when you enjoy what you're doing! Go out and have fun; don't worry about how much weight you loose each time. Then it will get more like a job then a fun chance to get slimmer.

kawaiiXnoXjutsu
08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Anything you do actively will help. But, like the people above said, weights and cardio are important too.

I read once in my P.E. text book that trainers recommend that people who are trying to lose weight build muscle mass, because even when your not exercising, if you have alot of muscles mass, you burn more calories daily (don't ask me why. that's just what the book said).

Also, find something you enjoy doing. Personally, I love running Cross Country and racing people. For my aunt, it's kick boxing and cardio classes at the gym twice a week. My grandmother likes to walk long distances (like 7-12 miles) to work out and also lifts weights. Other things that people I know enjoy include Mountain Biking, Tennis, Volleyball, Swimming, the Stair-Master machine, etc.The list goes on and on.

And whatever you chose to do, set goals. I know it sounds corny, but I love it when I reach my goals for running. That being said, make your goals reasonable and don't expect yourself to go out the first time you do something and blow your goals out of the water. Things take time. My first cross country practice I could only run a quarter of a mile before I had to stop, but now I can run 7 miles without stopping (although it took practice and dedication).

Calorie consumption is also important! If you want to lose weight, you should consume less calories that you eat. Speaking of consumption, working out will raise your metabolism and help you burn calories faster. ( <--wow that was random, but just wanted to let you know :D ) Just don't be like me and eat mammoth amounts of food after work outs, because then it ends up balancing out the metabolism you worked so hard to raise.

I know I'm starting to ramble here, and I'm going to try and wrap things up, but the last 2 things I want to remind you about are these:

1.) Don't go crazy on your workouts the first week, get discouraged or make yourself so sore you can't move, and the give up! I can not tell you how many people hate exercise because they always do this to themselves. Take baby steps and feel proud about even the smallest improvements. Remind yourself of your goal often, and never let yourself be intimidated out of a work out.

2.) Realize your work out style. Do you like to work out in the morning, afternoons, with other people, or by yourself? Everyone is different.

Sorry this turned into a three page lecture. >.< I hope you could understand all of what I was saying!

Happy exercise! :D

Yukimashi
08-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Thank you everyone

distantarray
08-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Just thought about if, Capoeira if you take this you will probably lose 20 pounds in 2 months with right nutrition. Capoeira is mixed with martial arts, dancing, music, singing, and breakdance basically

sythe2010
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Dancing if done with intensity will help you lose weight for sure, but unless you lift weights you run the risk of becoming skinny fat (skinny but with no muscle tone).

DukeLawliet
08-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Dancing is GREAT cardio if you do it with passion!

ZiggyB
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I started doing Argentine Tango and although it's a very fun class, it's not that strenuous. So I don't know if that particular form of dancing would help.

I am going to start taking Cha Cha and West Coast Swing, which looks way more energetic then the Tango, so I think it also depends on what type of dance you'll be doing.

But as others have said, any excuse to get moving helps. :)

ShiroChaan
08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I lost a lot of size learning how to do various anime dances and I think it's obvious here:

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu98/Bureiku08/AWA%2009/Sunday%209-20/Shoot%201/DSC_0169.jpg

September versus...

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/081/a/e/Momocon_2010_Bridget_an_Fuu_by_GIN180.jpg

March! It's not a ton, but I -felt- much better. I had much more confidence because I didn't feel like I was -so- flabby.

nachan
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
I can't really vouch for the weight-loss benefits of dancing, but I know dancing is my favorite way to work out! And like previous posters said, it gets your heart-rate up which is the most important part.

In addition to doing dances that already exist for anime songs, you could also try choreographing your own! I took a Zumba class in college, and it was really fun and easy, just all about repeating different moves to fit the music. And once you learn a whole routine it's really fun to practice. Here is a link to some Zumba moves on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/user/CocoFitness

Nozze
08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Just to echo what others have said, anything that gets your heart up for a extended period of time will help you lose weight. HOWEVER, and I emphasize this greatly - weight lifting (specifically circuit lifting) by itself is the absolute best way to burn fat and build muscle at the same time.

With anyone that is trying to lose weight by just cardio alone, I very strongly suggest adding strength training to your workout routine. If you don't, you lose precious muscle mass which you don't want to do.

onewingedjade
08-25-2010, 12:12 AM
DDR is intense. It works... but it's best not done daily. I did that for awhile and I guess all the jumping around caused me to injure the shock absorber thing at the end of my spine. o.O But I did it like a ridiculous amount.

Dancing, unless you're taking a class or something, is hard to keep up. Like cons with good DJs at the rave I'll end up dancing for 4 hours straight, but at home in my bedroom I get bored and go sit on the couch or something. And I don't like to do the club thing regularly. xD Just my two cents.

FrecklesxLace
08-25-2010, 12:54 AM
As a dancer myself I can say dancing is FANTASTIC exercise. I love taking dance classes when I can fit them in. Plus in the right environment it can be fantastically fun! I used to do show choir so I had to learn how to sing while dancing. I highly suggest running/singing dancing/singing, you relearn how to breath. Do something simple like happy birthday, it also gives you something to concentrate on besides your moves or running.

JETG!RL
08-25-2010, 06:29 PM
You can burn tons of calories when you dance! I've taken bellydancing and ballet and they've really made a difference in my fitness and activity. Keep in mind that you should pursue a type of dance that you will enjoy. And if you find that the one you decide on isn't really for you, there are plenty of other options available for you to switch over to. If you enjoy what you're doing, then it just makes cutting weight and toning the body so much easier!

Let me also note that if you're going to do any exercise, it's better to do it in the morning. When you wake up, your body is cooler than it is in the day after a rest period, so it'll take longer for your body to warm up. Therefore, you can engage yourself in a longer workout routine. Plus, it wakes you up! Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Others prefer exercising in the afternoon, evening, after work--whatever.

Good luck! :D

HEYOashley
08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I tried these dance workout routines that were offered on Comcast On Demand...NO! It was horrible. My friends and I did awful and on top of that, it did not feel like I was getting a good cardio work out from it...Just embarassing myself. Avoid bumpin booty haha.

solthar187
08-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Actually if you play ddr it does help but it will take time the first two week are hell but you can lose 20 pound in four months. and alot of ppl might say its not healthy or no it cant be done but i actually play ddr and PIU on a regular basis. but a few years ago had to stop and gained 45 pound so i was around 30 pound overweight jsut went back to the arcade and dance it off and it dont take a fortune just skilll after you can do five full credits (wich would be like 3-5 song plus extra per credit not coins) nonstop taht is around 15-25 song plus 5 extras( i usually use the extras to rest that give around 1min of a breather lol) at least twice or three time per week. should be no problem. so take into acct that each credit is 50cent to 1 dllr could be 2.50 to 5 per day so 15 a week dont look to bad. Now i know it sound hard but if you get friend to join it aint that bad me and my friend grp started as a fun group activity now we actually go to competions around a few in usa two or three in mexico and a few years back a friend of ours got to the finals in korea. was awesome

here is the youtube vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4locD6z5ts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r57Nrw0KMc
two guys from mexico in the korea World Pump Festival
fun and a great excersice lol

solthar187
08-29-2010, 01:53 AM
you can go as far as to get a ddr mat on playstation or xbox or even get the ddr mat for pc and download stepmania and do it from home if you dont want to waste money jsut will be harder on the hard song no rail to grab on too i actualy bought the ddr metal pad from ebay was around 120 dlls but worth it every cent ive had if for over a year and i dont need to work out i play around 1-2 hours every two or three day and its awesome

Mariks_Dragon
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
I have a ballroom dance class once a week. we dance for like 3 hours and it kicked my butt. I am still sore

knightmare6
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Dancing is great exercise, especially if it's high intensity, but you need to make sure you keep your body's movements varied. Work out different parts of the body.

You can lose weight if you do the same moves, but after a while your body will plateau and the weight no longer comes off because your muscles will no longer be tested (i.e. exercised).

GrellFanBoi~
07-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes! :3
At least it's fun!
I learn Hare Hare Yukai & the full Caramelldansen routine and dancing them on a daily basis is fun.
My next goal is to learn Luka Luka Night Fever.
(it's a great workout. :D)

SoldierSnoopy
07-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes it is. I have been dancing Salsa and merengue for years and I can honestly say that it keeps my body in lean shape. I also mix it with weight lifting and intense cardio when I'm not dancing. I love how it makes me look, and I love how it's fun in general.

SoldierSnoopy
07-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Yes it is. I have been dancing Salsa and merengue for years and I can honestly say that it keeps my body in lean shape. I also mix it with weight lifting and intense cardio when I'm not dancing. I love how it makes me look, and I love how it's fun in general.

Let me add to this. Do not let it be the only thing you do. Mix it up. Remember about muscle memory, because doing something repetitive will lose it's effect. As I said before, dancing is great, but also mix in distance running, and sprinting for cardio. Heck even the spin bikes can be great if used correctly.

matthew007
07-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Truly dancing works for fitness you can most of the dancer are fit because dancing is one kind of exercise.:)

K1k2
07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Dancing works well. I was 320 and I love most of it from DDR( I also did weight lifting and eating right mind you) But I would do DDR for more then an hour a day at least 4-6 days a week. I lost about 120 pounds and now sit at about 200ish-190ish. I've also had fun doing Zumba...I'm...Not very manly I know...

emm_gee
07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
dancing is great cardio!
i have a 3 hour long playlist of upbeat dance tracks on youtube that i dance along to pretty well every day as my warm up before my workout (: i've learned the choreography to a lot of them by now LOL
15 - 30 mins a day is what i try to do

Neelh
07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=289076&highlight=energetic+dances

A topic I made a while ago. I'd like if you could reboot it, so more people could see.

foxyv17
08-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Absolutly! When i was a kid I was alittle chuby. I joined dance and now I shed my baby pounds. DDR is a great way also. 40minutes of DDR is equavilant to a 5k run. ^_^

BlondieSundae
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Gonna have to say it depends on how much and how rigorous. Take jazz and ballet a couple times a week and you'll find you're getting worked out.

I danced competitively and I was clocking in 9 hours a week.

neozero
08-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Gonna have to say it depends on how much and how rigorous. Take jazz and ballet a couple times a week and you'll find you're getting worked out.

I danced competitively and I was clocking in 9 hours a week.

+1 to that. When I was figure skating competitively I clocked in 15+ hours at my peak and around 8-10 normally. This was in addition to weight training.

Though nothing compares to 6 hours of wushu +6 of dance plus weight training and a light diet. I got RIPPED. I miss that version of me.

If you really want to challenge your stamina try a dance intensive (http://allevents.in/Irvine/BZU-4---Boogiezone-University/432619593426126). 13.5+ hours in three days 0.o

One thing I should also say about jazz and contemporary classess is sometimes half of the class is conditioning. When I took from Mike Esperanza, Tokyo, and Will Johnston they made us do some of the most strenuous ab workouts ever.

NaitoFiamma
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Dancing is a great method and it helped so much!! I took dance for a semester of college and I did hip-hop to contemporary for 3 to 4 hours twice a week. I went from 150 lbs to 133 (I'm 5'8 1/2 btw). Currently, I'm doing Shaun T's Hip-Hop Abs workout and it's doing pretty well since I'm trying to get abs (not the athletic muscly kind, but similar to VS model abs xD).
Also, I follow youtube workouts...one that I recommend is Cassey Ho from Blogilates (she leaves me feeling sore with all of her workouts)
http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates?feature=g-all-u