PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to become "HUGE"

distantarray
08-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I keep reading this over and over, and hearing it everywhere I go so I thought I'd make this clear as possible.

1. You will have to be genetically gifted to become huge without trying or the use of steroids. If you were genetically gifted you'd know by the time you were 4 years old cause you would've already had a rippling six pack.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7RpouRAu2M&feature=related

2. You will never become huge WITHOUT lifting HEAVY ASS weights. Heavy weights meaning your body literally fail doing less than 12-15 reps at MAX per set.

3. Even if you take steroids you will NEVER become huge without determination, motivation, and commitment.

4. It doesn't matter if you make it to the gym if your talking with your friends for 10minutes inbetween a set, or just wasting space at a gym floor. You have to WORKOUT, you have to SWEAT. Imo if your not sweating in a gym just leave.

200 push ups a day, 200 crunches a day these kinds of workouts will never make you huge, they'll make you fit, but never huge like a bodybuilder. So please don't be afraid to push yourself, I know it's scary, but even professional bodybuilders have a hard time adding 5-10 pounds of muscle in a YEAR. and many of them are usually on some type of steroid/pro hormone legal or not.

You'll start to notice good changes at about 3-4 months, you won't ever wake up and go OH SHIT too big. Might go I'm getting pretty big, maybe I should cut down, or maybe more along the lines of I'm happy with my arms I should focus on my thighs for now etc. Working out the right muscles can help you create a better shape than your natural build. Women can create bigger butts, slender thighs, and chest workouts to help perk up their breasts a bit etc.

Regardless becoming huge is no accident, you need a LOT OF dedication at the gym, and in the kitchen to succeed. Becoming huge is like a full time job with trying to calculate nutrition alone unless you have a will power of steel like Dennis Gonzolas where he eats the samething almost everyday.

Kasinator
08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
This shall be stickied!!!!!!

River.
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for this. This is also very important for women to know and understand. I have met so many women who are so scared they will get all gross and bulky with a few heavy deadlifts. Fallllseee. It's incredibly difficult for a woman to "bulk up". Yes with strength training you will gain weight but that's because of the muscle you are packing on. You are getting stronger! Which is awesome! But you have to take steroids to be one of those gross body-builder women who look like men, so don't sweat it. Getting toned and adding on the muscles is hot. As my female crossfit colleagues use to say "I'm not getting toned, I'm getting strong."

distantarray
08-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for this. This is also very important for women to know and understand. I have met so many women who are so scared they will get all gross and bulky with a few heavy deadlifts. Fallllseee. It's incredibly difficult for a woman to "bulk up". Yes with strength training you will gain weight but that's because of the muscle you are packing on. You are getting stronger! Which is awesome! But you have to take steroids to be one of those gross body-builder women who look like men, so don't sweat it. Getting toned and adding on the muscles is hot. As my female crossfit colleagues use to say "I'm not getting toned, I'm getting strong."

The worst is seeing women do abductor / adductor leg workouts on the machines with 10 pound weights for an hour and they look at you like deer in headlights when you explain to them that they should up the weight. I almost got kicked out of a gym before (ymca) cause I saw a woman doing nothin but weighted crunches for a few weeks. I told her that cardio is the only way she's going to lose that gut along with a great diet plan. They thought I was acting like a personal trainer so they warned me to stop giving advice. Luckily the woman took my advice and slimmed down a lot the last time I saw her before I switched gyms.

Kasinator
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
The worst is seeing women do abductor / adductor leg workouts on the machines with 10 pound weights for an hour and they look at you like deer in headlights when you explain to them that they should up the weight. I almost got kicked out of a gym before (ymca) cause I saw a woman doing nothin but weighted crunches for a few weeks. I told her that cardio is the only way she's going to lose that gut along with a great diet plan. They thought I was acting like a personal trainer so they warned me to stop giving advice. Luckily the woman took my advice and slimmed down a lot the last time I saw her before I switched gyms.

I dont get how giving practical advice wouldn't be a good idea ever. She would still head to the gym and still pay their money, and i assume sign the waver saying its her fault in the unlikely event she hurts herself. so what do they care if you give random advice, especially non life threatening, basic practical advice anybody could give? Its not like you told her to take apart the machines and build a flying machine powered by her body.

air4akito
08-11-2010, 10:32 AM
this made me lol at how true it is :)

sythe2010
08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Thank you! I get so tired telling people this. I think the opinion has been spouted off to boyfriends telling their girlfriends not to lift heavy weights just because it might make them look weak!

Ladies, you're not going to get huge and manly. If anything you're going to look a lot better. Most celebrity women are doing deadlifts, squats, bench presses, etc.

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womensfitnesstopics/a/womenmyths.htm

I just think the notion is funny. The women you see looking huge have to work very, very hard to get to that point. That's why it's called a competition.

Qemba
08-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Oh god! I hate how some guys will use that as an excuse NOT to work out. ;-;

distantarray
08-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh god! I hate how some guys will use that as an excuse NOT to work out. ;-;

lol, and I love it when those guys actually MAKE it to the gym. 30 minutes between each rep, do 3 sets and leave hour and half later, often only doing chest and biceps

Disemballerina
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Easiest way for women to see the difference seems to be to just show them pictures of actual lifters. When all they see are bodybuilders on steroids, that is what they think will happen. Showing them some olympic lifters, as they are least likely of the competitive lifters to have done a lot of steroids, shows a big difference. Crossfit is another good example. In the end, the most important idea is that to get big, you have to eat big. No amount of training can make you big without eating enough.

rubyspitfire
07-03-2011, 01:10 AM

Easiest way for women to see the difference seems to be to just show them pictures of actual lifters. When all they see are bodybuilders on steroids, that is what they think will happen. Showing them some olympic lifters, as they are least likely of the competitive lifters to have done a lot of steroids, shows a big difference. Crossfit is another good example. In the end, the most important idea is that to get big, you have to eat big. No amount of training can make you big without eating enough.

this and this. it is impossible for me to "bulk up". i have a pretty small frame and high metabolism. i do almost no cardio just for the simple fact that 1) there isn't much i can do other than walking and swimming because of my knees and can't afford an elliptical or gym membership, 2) my body would cannibalize and eat the muscle tissue, and 3) i'm anemic, so i get tired easily anyway. the little i've gained this summer is because i've probably doubled my protein intake on top of being more active than i have in the last three years, and even though i have a long way to go i feel a lot better than i have for a long time. it's taken two months to see results, but they are showing

Somsai
07-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I honestly don't understand what makes ppl think they'll all of a sudden be huge by working out with weights. It kind of makes me want to slap them! Haha, but yeah good job pointing this out distantarray.

Kelley
07-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't understand what's so bad about not looking completely frail and feminine. Sure, you have that option, but it's not like everyone is going to hate you or think you're ugly if you look like you could actually take care of yourself.

GCNgamer128
07-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Imo if your not sweating in a gym just leave.
LOL.. the door is that way.

belligerent
07-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much not going to happen if you're female unless you are trying intentionally to become muscular. It won't happen on accident, believe me.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af308/eightyproofmonk/gotyourmafrighthere.jpg

This is the best I can do so far with trying.

HomeDepot
07-07-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't understand what's so bad about not looking completely frail and feminine. Sure, you have that option, but it's not like everyone is going to hate you or think you're ugly if you look like you could actually take care of yourself.

Totally agree with you there.

SalvadorMalo85
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I've had trouble explaining this to girls in the past as well. While there are plenty of examples of women who lift heavy and only become hotter and more badass (professional and otherwise), conventional wisdom takes a center seat when it comes to doling out advice.

As an example, the project managers for both the a client and my company started complaining that the gyms they go to stopped stocking weights under 15lbs. They both complained that they started to bulk up and wanted to go back to 5lbs. As much as I wanted to yell shenanigans (look at all of the dudes around you with 20x the testosterone, how many of them look giant), I tire of fighting those types of arguments.

Anyone have success in this type of situation, or is it best to just let it go unless someone asks you directly?

Lendra-chan
07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
e_e Body building isn't as difficult as science makes it out to be.

It's an exertion, yes, hence you'll be exhausted after working out, but focusing on muscle development isn't so hard. Weights is a perfect way to get 'huge'. It tones your body as well as builds muscle.

Just watch what you eat. If you workout a lot but eat really crappy, then it won't affect your body structure in a good way at all.

SnakeOut
07-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Agreed.

audrey12345
07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Urrghhhh, I really need some muscles.