PDA

View Full Version : How to loose weight in college!?

Kalyov
08-11-2010, 09:37 AM
So I am currently over weight and would like to loose some before next summer when I go to my first Con. I am hoping to loose 30-50lbs. by next June.

I live at college, on campus. I live on the 3rd floor, no elevator so I have to walk. of my building, sadly all but two of my classes is in the building next to my dorm. One is pretty far and other is in between, the furthest one is about 5min.

However the building I have most of my classes in is an old building and all my classes are on the fourth floor, no elevator. Also my campus is very hilly.

Another thing I am in marching band and we practice Mon-Fri from 4pm to 5:30pm. Our practice field takes about 10min. to walk to which I do. It is up and down several hills.

I am normally addicted to Pepsi but last year I only drank one at lunch and supper instead of all day like I use to. I think I will cut down to just drinking it at lunch.

I am not really one for snack food either.

However the school meal plan is kind of fatty. I dare not eat desert or seconds but everything seems to be deep fried >.>

My doctor actually said my cholesterol is high. I have been taking meds for that though, it runs in my family.

I also plan to swim for at least 1-2hrs every other day.

I was down 10lbs last fall but get it back, now I want to get down that and even more.

What can I do to help that?

noirstar45
08-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Do you have a kitchen in your dorm area? Or are you stuck in food provided by them?
It's shocking that you are so limited in school. Even our small private college had a variety of food items.

sythe2010
08-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I know the feeling. I went to college in a place that had some pretty bad meal choices...the same kind of meal choices that were being given to prisoners down the road. And we weren't even allowed to have stoves in our dorm for fear of us burning it down!

Try to find the healthiest thing you can there. Probably the meats and the greens and stick to that.

Two pepsi's you might not think will add a lot, but I wrote about it here in this post http://www.cosplaypro.com/2010/08/cosplay-and-fitness.html

Meanwhile if your college has a free gym I would take advantage of it. When you're out of it like me you'll be paying around $60 a month for one.

Axelai
08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
My school dorm has a mini kitchen in it... if yours does too, take advantage of it! Or if anything, search your school for a cafe or something that doesn't have fatty foods... i don't know much about other schools though... (I go to SFSU, and we have like, ten different places to eat on campus, all with slightly different food choices. Mexican food in the cafeteria, snacky foods elsewhere, then a 5-star type restaurant where catering majors work...). If your school has a variety of places too, i suggest just finding which one is healthiest.

Luxuria85
08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
It's a known fact to gain weight at college...and it sucks! I never gained the Freshman 15 thank God, but I seemed to gain that my sophomore year. Our school has a lot of choices, nothing really fatty except maybe the Sbarro's (which I never eat at). We had a salad place open this year and we could get a custom made salad (they were salad's to order, nothing premade). I got plenty of leafy greens like spinach and fibrous seeds etc. go for the healthier options on campus. They may not be the healthiest but they'll be A LOT healthier than say fast food. The only real fast food we have on campus is a teeny weeny Taco Bell. Try to get subs (but be careful on that consumption of bread!) that are healthier choices...like no heavy fatty meats or thick or creamy sauces.

The smaller dorms hers (the ones that aren't insanely expensive for apartment style housing) have a kitchen on the bottom floor and our let us rent out their cooking utensils or you could bring your own. I brought my own and cooked many a meal. Also, one thing that helped me SO MUCH for my previous school years (2nd year senior) was in a journal write the calories you're eating down. That can of Coke or two will add up and you might not like it. Lots of places now have nutritional info so take a look at that. BTW, I stared avoiding our dining hall due to it being more high in calories and fat than other choices on campus. I'd go every once in a while (like usually a Saturday) for breakfast buffet and that would be my meal. I'd have a bowl of granola or something later.

My school also has a gym and living in the dorms, you got the free school year (basically included in fees) at the gym. If so take advantage of that. Also take advantage of all those hills, get your walking shoes on, and go for a good walk!

ValentineKitty
08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I actually only started losing weight once I was in college, so it's definitely possible. :) It looks like you've got a really good set of plans to get there, too.

As for food, if your school has vegetarian options you can try those. I'm not vegetarian, but I wound up really liking the vegetarian meals my school made more than the normal ones. If your school doesn't have vegetarian options... I feel like that's something someone should probably talk to the administration about, since they really ought to. o.O You could also try talking to someone about getting healthier options, too. After all, you're paying for this food, so they should give you something you want to eat.

Another option is getting an electric frying pan. You'll want one where the heat coils on the bottom aren't exposed. Basically, at least from my school rules, if there's an exposed heat source it wasn't allowed, but some electric frying pans have covered the heat source covered, so there's no risk of fire (unless you leave it on for a long time and leave or something). With that, you could occasionally make your own meals in your dorm. Stir fry is especially easy, and good for you.

Get some friends together sometimes and just wander around campus. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to lose track of time just walking around the campus/neighboring areas if you're talking to people. It's a good work out, but it doesn't seem like one, and it's a good way to get to know people better.

distantarray
08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
It's not a fact that people gain weight in college, it's more likely since

1. Most Americans DO NOT know how to cook
2. result of 1 equals to lots of junk food
3. also food budget becomes more of a factor since people are cheap about food, they'll buy a $600 playstation but they dont' want to spend more than couple bucks for a meal. Although if they actually knew how to cook they'd know good meals can be made pretty cheap.

If you want to lose weight. Best advice in any period of your life. Exercise and eat right, get off your ass. Sounds harsh? Probably. excuses about having no time to do anything, but I can 100% guarenttee that if people want to get off their ass they can spare 30minutes a day 3-4 times a week. It might eat into sleep time, or time or god forbid American Idol marathon, but if you really want to do it rather than just talk you will find a way and get it done.

Imagine if everyone in college dedicates the fraction of the time that they go chasing girls or boys into actually working out. If you can spare entire days and nights for your girlfriend and boyfriends you can literally spend 30minutes a day actually getting in shape before a date. You can even workout while your gf gets ready, or even tense and release your butt muscles while your driving or god forbid in class lol, just depends how dedicated you are to reaching your goal.

Luxuria85
08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
@distantarray: Even if people who don't know how to cook can still keep weight off. I know how to cook, but I look at side labels and portions are controlled (I also don't own any $600 video game console :P). I have friends who know how to cook, doesn't mean they care about labels and portions. I've seen some super unhealthy food they've made. I agree with things you said, it just comes down to personal choices. Like some people use butter, I use olive oil :-P Also your second paragraph cracked me up. Do guys and girls chase after each other in college? At mine, I just see girls freely give themselves away cause "o-m-g soooooo drunk". Wow kinda reminds me to bring this up, if you drink alcohol...careful on consumption. It will add on the pounds (I mean Hell, our cheer squad at school were told they have beer guts ewwwww).

distantarray
08-12-2010, 02:30 PM
@distantarray: Even if people who don't know how to cook can still keep weight off. I know how to cook, but I look at side labels and portions are controlled (I also don't own any $600 video game console :P). I have friends who know how to cook, doesn't mean they care about labels and portions. I've seen some super unhealthy food they've made. I agree with things you said, it just comes down to personal choices. Like some people use butter, I use olive oil :-P Also your second paragraph cracked me up. Do guys and girls chase after each other in college? At mine, I just see girls freely give themselves away cause "o-m-g soooooo drunk". Wow kinda reminds me to bring this up, if you drink alcohol...careful on consumption. It will add on the pounds (I mean Hell, our cheer squad at school were told they have beer guts ewwwww).

lol true enough most girls blame alcohol or just sluts in general in college these days. I personally use smart balance butter because it uses flaxseed oil which contains a lot of healthy fats, doesn't taste like 100% butter lol, but close enough to suit my taste. I only use for steaks really anyways =)

If you look healthy or unhealthy it's your choice, just saying most people don't know how to cook and use the excuse eating healthy costs too much.

Yea alcohol is terrible people often don't understand a beer usually has as much or more calories than soda, and that a margarita contains 600+ calories, a shot of vodka I believe is around 90 calories. I can take about 10 shots of vodka without puking and i have a good level of tolerance, but that's still 900 calories :waaaah: now if I drank 4 margaritas.... 2400 calories:drink:

Luxuria85
08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
lol true enough most girls blame alcohol or just sluts in general in college these days. I personally use smart balance butter because it uses flaxseed oil which contains a lot of healthy fats, doesn't taste like 100% butter lol, but close enough to suit my taste. I only use for steaks really anyways =)

If you look healthy or unhealthy it's your choice, just saying most people don't know how to cook and use the excuse eating healthy costs too much.

Yea alcohol is terrible people often don't understand a beer usually has as much or more calories than soda, and that a margarita contains 600+ calories, a shot of vodka I believe is around 90 calories. I can take about 10 shots of vodka without puking and i have a good level of tolerance, but that's still 900 calories :waaaah: now if I drank 4 margaritas.... 2400 calories:drink:

Damn those stupid good tasting beverages!! :p

I've looked into the Smart Balance brand but some of it is a bit too expensive in the places that are near me. Though if I can use a coupon (I love coupons), I'll buy the Smart Balance butter. Don't they have a Smart Balance milk?

I completely agree people use that as their excuse. My excuse for not cooking back in around mid high school was my grandma thought my hair would go up in a fiery ball. Which is sad, cause that excuse was actually true. I had to wear my hair in a ponytail before I could start cooking. Only way she'd let me. My boyfriend uses the excuse of working late so he has to buy Burger King (though he's a rake!) or Taco Bell. I'm like ever thought of maybe cooking 2 chicken breasts and eating one and save the other? The only time I would say cooking healthy is too expensive is if you buy everything solely at Whole Foods and you buy the most expensive of the stuff there. Than I can see a bit of the expense.

Kalyov
08-12-2010, 04:17 PM
First off I will clear this one up. No beer gut for me, I am pretty much against drinking. Only done it once and the next time will most likely be the champagne at my wedding. Also not chasseing, lol I have a man.
I really do not eat much. I have been working at a factory this summer over nights and I walk around for 8hrs straight and we only get one 30min break. Sometimes that is the only time I eat and I eat a microwave pizza and a Mt. Dew to keep me awake.
We have a salad bar and a sub thing at my school which is always there – and a cereal bar. Sometimes for lunch they serve pasta salads or other simple light pasts like a bow tie pesto.
But most of the time it is burgers and things like country fried steak and pizza.
We do have a gym but I do not know if it is open to regular students or just athletes. I would like to use the aerobic machines such as the treadmill and bikes. I am not really into lifting weights.
I have started doing 20 sit ups and 40 pushups a day.
Well I changed dorms this year so I will not know till next Wed. if there is a kitchen in there or not. Sadly my job ends tomorrow and I have not heard back from any Work Study positions yet and dad refuses to give me money, so I will be at a lack for money. If you have any healthy cheap recipes I would love to know them.
I would also like to keep this weight off because my boyfriend and I plan to get married after he graduates.
Also during the school year we rarely go out to eat, so no fast food; which is good because 2 years ago I ate it a lot since my previous college did not have a meal plan.

distantarray
08-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Damn those stupid good tasting beverages!! :p

I've looked into the Smart Balance brand but some of it is a bit too expensive in the places that are near me. Though if I can use a coupon (I love coupons), I'll buy the Smart Balance butter. Don't they have a Smart Balance milk?

I completely agree people use that as their excuse. My excuse for not cooking back in around mid high school was my grandma thought my hair would go up in a fiery ball. Which is sad, cause that excuse was actually true. I had to wear my hair in a ponytail before I could start cooking. Only way she'd let me. My boyfriend uses the excuse of working late so he has to buy Burger King (though he's a rake!) or Taco Bell. I'm like ever thought of maybe cooking 2 chicken breasts and eating one and save the other? The only time I would say cooking healthy is too expensive is if you buy everything solely at Whole Foods and you buy the most expensive of the stuff there. Than I can see a bit of the expense.

A way to have your cake and eat it too is to ask the bartender to make your fruity drinks FRESH, meaning NO SYRUP MIXES. You get freshly squeezed juices instead of high fructose corn syrup crap that packs on the calories, you'll cut your calories by about half or more.

I knkow it's an excuse cause it was MY excuse before I started educating myself on the entire subject as well XD

What's more money? A grande meal at taco bell or a chicken salad made at home? or a peanut butter jelly sandwich even.

Also smart balance makes peanut butter which they use flaxseed oil instead of peanut oil, and honestly I can't taste the difference to Jiff. They also started making Jiff omega which is the samething. Then there's the Smart balance cooking spray as well.

The thing that drives me crazy is going to a rich friend's house they have a gourmet kitchen and they don't even cook....

distantarray
08-12-2010, 06:07 PM
First off I will clear this one up. No beer gut for me, I am pretty much against drinking. Only done it once and the next time will most likely be the champagne at my wedding. Also not chasseing, lol I have a man.
I really do not eat much. I have been working at a factory this summer over nights and I walk around for 8hrs straight and we only get one 30min break. Sometimes that is the only time I eat and I eat a microwave pizza and a Mt. Dew to keep me awake.
We have a salad bar and a sub thing at my school which is always there – and a cereal bar. Sometimes for lunch they serve pasta salads or other simple light pasts like a bow tie pesto.
But most of the time it is burgers and things like country fried steak and pizza.
We do have a gym but I do not know if it is open to regular students or just athletes. I would like to use the aerobic machines such as the treadmill and bikes. I am not really into lifting weights.
I have started doing 20 sit ups and 40 pushups a day.
Well I changed dorms this year so I will not know till next Wed. if there is a kitchen in there or not. Sadly my job ends tomorrow and I have not heard back from any Work Study positions yet and dad refuses to give me money, so I will be at a lack for money. If you have any healthy cheap recipes I would love to know them.
I would also like to keep this weight off because my boyfriend and I plan to get married after he graduates.
Also during the school year we rarely go out to eat, so no fast food; which is good because 2 years ago I ate it a lot since my previous college did not have a meal plan.

20 sit ups and 40 push ups aren't too bad but I'd up it as you go, don't worry about getting big it won't happen period. If your not eating healthy I'd recommend doing cardio which is anything that raises your heart rate. Running jumping climbing trees putting on make up while your up there (jk)

The cheap good stuff is like BBQ chicken, just get loads of bbq sauce, some onions and just bake it in the oven at 450 for about 40minutes and let simmer in the oven. Pretty hard to mess up, and tastes great. BBQ sauce has little to no calories so it doesn't matter how much you eat, throw the skin out and your cutting about half the calories. It just takes a bit of work, add some rice (brown rice if you can) and with some steamed broccoli and your set. You can usually make about 10 servings for about $15

Then there's always steak, works best if you bake it for about 20minutes in foil packets with peppers garlic onions to let it steam into the meat, take it out and throw it on the stove with a pan, throw some smart balance butter on it (not too much) and some Sake (rice wine) and let it cook with the top on. Throw in some mix of steamed veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, califlower, soy beans, enoki mushrooms are the best then just eat with some rice and your done.

For breakfast best thing is Miso Soup period. Miso soup and some eggs and toast and oatmeal with oj milk or coffee will get you through the day just fine.

Things don't have to be overly complicated, just gotta look. "EAT THIS NOT THAT" is a great book to get cause it shows you how to eat when your going out to eat. Has the breakdown of the best and worst 3 of most chain restaurants in America.

Snow_Storm
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
AVOID COLLEGE CAFETERIA FOOD - They're usually high in fat, carbs, and sugars. Instead, go to the store and buy healthy foods such as fruits and veggies and make your own lunches and dinners instead.

SIGN UP FOR WEIGHT TRAINING AND FITNESS CLASSES - They will do you wonders. Believe me on this.

I am so sorry for all all-caps but there's many ways college kids can avoid weight gain in college but they usually overlook them.

DireKitty
08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I lost 15 lbs when I started university... and that was on the university meal plan. Their food was gross and fatty, so all i ate were the sandwiches they had. I also biked or walked everywhere because the bus system was inefficient.

Once I had my own place I cooked my own meals. My staples were egg salad sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, pasta and chicken fried rice.

distantarray
08-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I lost 15 lbs when I started university... and that was on the university meal plan. Their food was gross and fatty, so all i ate were the sandwiches they had. I also biked or walked everywhere because the bus system was inefficient.

Once I had my own place I cooked my own meals. My staples were egg salad sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, pasta and chicken fried rice.

^ she knows what she's doing :p

Luxuria85
08-12-2010, 09:18 PM
A way to have your cake and eat it too is to ask the bartender to make your fruity drinks FRESH, meaning NO SYRUP MIXES. You get freshly squeezed juices instead of high fructose corn syrup crap that packs on the calories, you'll cut your calories by about half or more.

I knkow it's an excuse cause it was MY excuse before I started educating myself on the entire subject as well XD

What's more money? A grande meal at taco bell or a chicken salad made at home? or a peanut butter jelly sandwich even.

Also smart balance makes peanut butter which they use flaxseed oil instead of peanut oil, and honestly I can't taste the difference to Jiff. They also started making Jiff omega which is the samething. Then there's the Smart balance cooking spray as well.

The thing that drives me crazy is going to a rich friend's house they have a gourmet kitchen and they don't even cook....

I will seriously have to ask about having a drink made fresh! I don't really like drinking mainly cause of cost. That's a super helpful tip though if I ever want a quarter of the year treat! Thanks!

I will have to look into the Smart Balance peanut butter. Have you ever tried almond butter? I got some once as a treat to myself from Whole Foods. So yummy. I like to put all that stuff on celery.

distantarray
08-13-2010, 01:19 AM
I will seriously have to ask about having a drink made fresh! I don't really like drinking mainly cause of cost. That's a super helpful tip though if I ever want a quarter of the year treat! Thanks!

I will have to look into the Smart Balance peanut butter. Have you ever tried almond butter? I got some once as a treat to myself from Whole Foods. So yummy. I like to put all that stuff on celery.

almond butter's good but i still prefer peanut butter =)

SourCherryTwist
08-15-2010, 08:54 AM
:X Oh man. the dreaded freshman 15...luckily my schools caf isnt TOO bad, but my recommendation? avoid fast food as much as possible, get some whole wheat crackers and maybe some spreadable cheese (I love the laughing cow brand) and keep it in a mini-fridge in your dorm room, for those late night study session snack cravings! and as always, dont party too hard, alchohol and lack of sleep doesnt make for a healthy life!

Tabby Catty
08-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Definitely start riding your bike or running to classes. I'm going to college next year and I am down to three options and they all have really good campuses that you can ride your bike everywhere with. Infact, you don't even need a car. One of my possible colleges doesn't even allow freshmen to own cars on campus!

I did see a cook-book of healthy, cheap meals for college students. I didn't pick it up and I didn't know what it is called, but there are cookbooks out there. Definitely take a look.

Luxuria85
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Definitely start riding your bike or running to classes. I'm going to college next year and I am down to three options and they all have really good campuses that you can ride your bike everywhere with. Infact, you don't even need a car. One of my possible colleges doesn't even allow freshmen to own cars on campus!

I did see a cook-book of healthy, cheap meals for college students. I didn't pick it up and I didn't know what it is called, but there are cookbooks out there. Definitely take a look.

Tip from a 6th year-er. Damn, I went for 6 years, sheesh. Double check when it comes to riding bikes if you're allowed to ride them on the actual campus. My school didn't allow people to ride their bikes or skateboards through campus due to us being a big student body. Many people still did those things, but if on campus security caught you, you were given a ticket. So just double check with each one's rules.

It was basically made because of a safety hazard since some people (mainly any jerky skateboarders) didn't give a shit if they run over your foot, it happened to my friend. Lucky me, once a guy took a corner on his skateboard, and since I wear steel-toe Dr. Martens, the wheel stopped at my boot and he went flying. Shame.

@SourCherryTwist: That's a super smart idea! I forgot about the spreadable cheese. I always bought the Light kind of it, save on a few calories. That and Reduced Fat Wheat Thins...I also remember having always celery and grapefruit in my fridge too. Weird.

Chocolahime
08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I would suggest getting off the meal plan for one. Mostly because they are often more expensive then just making the food yourself.
Make your own food and use the gym that you have access too.

Seriously my fellow college/university student brethren, casseroles will solve all of your problems.

tifaia
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I was one of those people that lost weight when I went to college. Yes the meal plan had mostly fried foods, but they were pretty good about having healthier options available, so it wasn't all bad. I went down nearly 12 pounds at school, and have been keeping it off since then.

Walking around a lot is a good thing for classes. As much as it sucks having to run from one side of the campus to the other in under 10 minutes to get there on time. Stairs help, and so do those 5 minute strolls to class.

The fact that you don't have snacks might be something you can change. I have found what works for me is to have 4 meals a day, 2 snacks, lunch, and dinner. (Breakfast always causes my brain to shut down, but the same principle applies if you throw in breakfast as well.) One snack 2 hours before lunch and one snack 2 hours before dinner. Why? It helps to minimize hunger cravings. And! when you're ready for lunch and dinner, you're going to have smaller portions because you're not as hungry. When you go throughout the day not eating and lunch comes along, you're going to end up taking more food then what you need.

The snacks are usually no larger then a multi-grain fruit bar or a banana. Just enough to keep my stomach happy and my energy levels up.

Really, what it comes down to is creating a meal plan that works for you, that's a healthier option to fried foods and eating out constantly. Most colleges/universities have a gym that you can use and give free dietary consultation to students. It wouldn't hurt to check out their staff services to see what they can offer you, maybe set you up with a good workout routine and meals that are cheap but effective.

Allisande
08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh, college weight gain... Well, I can't really talk too much because I gained ten pounds when I went to college. I've lost fifteen now that I've graduated. It's a pain! None of my clothes fit anymore! >< Here were my downfalls and the reason why I gained all that weight:

I have a very weak stomach. It's related to genetics. Everyone in my family has trouble digesting anything whenever they get stressed. I also have allergies to most preservatives. Yes, me and the school caf were a match made in hell. I started just eating the fried foods because the frying meant that they had been brought up to a high temperature and were more or less sanitary. Not a good option. Then I went off the meal plan for part of my senior year. During that one semester I didn't change anything else except cooking for myself and I lost nearly all the weight I had gained. Then I went back on the meal plan the next semester and it all came back again, even though I was exercising every day.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention was frozen veggies and meat. If you buy things frozen, they are often a lot cheaper than fresh and you don't have to worry as much about spoilage. There are also fewer preservatives in frozen food. (Love!) If you are living in the dorms, though, be aware of food thieves. The reason why I went back onto the meal plan was that whenever I bought food, there was a 50/50 chance that it wouldn't be there when I came back to cook it. One time I went out and bought five frozen lean cuisines (extremely inexpensive, especially considering they are diet food!) and when I went back to the freezer, all five were gone! They had only been in there three hours! Not all dorms are like that, but be aware. I had one friend go out and buy canisters with combination locks. More commonly, people would go out and get their own refrigerators.

Another thing to keep down the pounds: drop the sugary drinks. I mean it. Not only will it mean fewer calories, it also means fewer cavities. Instead of drinking soda while studying, drink tea with a little splenda or some crystal light or some of that sparkling fruit flavored water. All of those options are cheap. And drink while studying instead of munching on stuff. If you have to chew something, go out and buy some sugar free gum. They now make all sorts of great fruit flavors sugar free! If you have to have something salty, go out and buy bullion cubes or miso soup. Dissolve it in a little water and microwave it like you are making tea.

lunaladyoflight
08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Watch your salt intake, watch your fried and fast food intake, also TAKE ADVANTAGE of the on campus recreational facilities. Most colleges have a rec center with weight machines and cardio machines. Part of your tuition goes to membership there. USE IT.

Flora88
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Dude, college cafeteria food is, like, the Devil or something. I mean, when something tastes bad, looks bad and smells bad...it's probably bad. And it is. "Healthy solutions," my ass.

Save yourself some money and don't get the meal plan, or, if you HAVE to, get the cheapest option (which generally has fewer meals included.) And, like everyone else here has already said, get yo'self some pb&j.
And STAY AWAY from Ramen Noodles. It's cheap for a reason. That shit is loaded with sodium, which will puff you up like a balloon.

Qemba
08-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Loosing weight has been a major road block for me and cosplaying. I was about sixty pounds overweight just last year. But there are some really amazing things you can do that are just so simple!!

First off. There's a technique called muscle confusion that EVERYONE should incoprerate into their work out if they want quicker BUT meaningful and lasting results. Basically every day you work a different group of muscles and switch from day to day. That stops the plateau effect which will cause your body to get used to an exercise and stop loosing weight.

Secondly NEVER NEVER NEVER stop eating. That's the worst possible thing you can do which is why diets are so bad for you.

When you start working you actually need to eat more of these: Anything with protein (nuts, meat, eggs and fish) and Carbohydrates. When you start working out your muscle in your body is going to activate your dormant muscle and your muscle is going to need fuel (the food) to start growing and burning fat.

Also it's normal when you start working out to actually GAIN some weight and bulk but soon after you will loose it.

Make sure to never push yourself when you start feeling sore or achy. that's your body telling you it's done. When you're starting NEVER push yourself past that limit. You'll gain strength and endurance as you continue.

Also, never work out more than five times a week when your starting especially if your body isn't used to vigorous activity.

Some good places to look for healthy food it actually foodnetwork.com! It's true that usually people who make their own meals and don't get much fast food or eat processed things are thinner! Just making a dinner can burn calories and fat!

And lastly getting motivated is the HARDEST part of working out. It really is. Now here I am I've lost about twelve inches and fourty five pounds in a year. C:

Good luck to you!!

Etceteral
08-23-2010, 03:55 AM
It's definitely possible to lose weight during college; often the problem is just resisting the temptations that come with the college experience though :/ People have already mentioned a few tips, but I'd add a few on:

1) Everything is relative. If you're living a completely sedentary life and not watching what you eat at all, even really basic changes can have a profound impact over time. Simple stuff, like kgoing for low-fat or low-calorie foods when you have the option (mayo = evil; and full-calorie sodas are a no-no) or hitting the gym even as little as once every 2 weeks.

OTOH, if you're already taking basic steps with your diet and getting some moderate exercise and still not getting seeing an improvement, it's time to take a stronger focus on what you're actually doing...

2) It sounds like you're living in a dorm or other on-campus housing. Many schools provide free campus gym memberships (ours does at SDSU) and often you can get really cheap personal training there. For as little as $30, someone there can probably give you some great starting out advice on what you might be doing wrong.

3) If you're a girl, *don't* worry about getting "too muscular". It's simply not going to happen unless you work really, really, really hard at it.

4) "Shock" changes to your lifestyle (massive changes to diet, exercise, and/or supplement regemin) CAN work, but they *have* to be followed up with lasting changes to your day to day life... otherwise you can end up in an even worse position after you revert back.

5) Try to find out the reason behind the weight change and focusing tightly in on that.

So, true personal story:

I'd be basically in shape throughout college though fluctuating up and down over time depending on if I was in a dieting phase or not (marching band helped a lot with basic cardio maintenance). One day, I woke up and realized I'd ballooned up from 170 to 194, and my BP, had gone from 120/80 to 145/95 -- borderline hypertension :( The source turned out to be... stress! Not enough sleep, working occasional graveyard shifts, and some massive personal and other stuff going on in my life over the previous 6-9 months were all combining to get me to eat more and then store more.

Quitting the graveyard shifts and making a serious effort to take a step back from some of the most stressful things in my life absolutely stopped the problem from getting any worse right in its tracks.

It took extra effort to take the weight back off, but the #1 Rule of Holes is: When you find yourself in one, stop digging. Perhaps that's one way of looking at the college weight gain problem just by itself.

Hope this helps :D

distantarray
08-23-2010, 04:30 AM
3) If you're a girl, *don't* worry about getting "too muscular". It's simply not going to happen unless you work really, really, really hard at it.

I don't think you made it clear enough.

It's simply not going to happen unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY

hard at it, or the use of steroids and or prohormones It's not something that can be done by accident.

Rjr3412
08-23-2010, 07:56 AM
If you college gives you a choice about the meal plan, I know mine doesn't for Freshmen, avoid the meal plans. If you simply must go, its usually a better deal to pay for each meal seperately.

I did the math once for mine; breakfast, lunch and dinner each had a different price but ranged from like $7 for breakfast to $9 or so if you just showed up and paid cash. If you took the total for a terms meal plan, and divied it up for a minimum of three meals each day, every day you broke even. It was a complete ripoff, and most students were lucky if they went twice a day.

The tricky part is just finding a place to cook and keep food, but if you can get a dorm thats a suite with its own kitchen, or an apartment (which is usually cheaper and larger than any dorm) than I highly recommend it.

Dorms and meal plan are for freshman, newly out on their own and not ready for the big bad world. If you are an adult, learn to cook, its really, really not hard, lol. And you will save a ton of money and impress your friends.

Tabby Catty
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Wow, I'm going to go to college next year and I didn't really realize how bad that college cafeteria food is... Ummmm... well, I'll probably have a microwave in my dorm room, um... any healthy meals you can only using a microwave?

I am very kitchen-literate so I can make almost anything from scratch, but unfortunately, I will no longer have my wonderful stove and oven...

themegchan
09-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Wow, I'm going to go to college next year and I didn't really realize how bad that college cafeteria food is... Ummmm... well, I'll probably have a microwave in my dorm room, um... any healthy meals you can only using a microwave?

I am very kitchen-literate so I can make almost anything from scratch, but unfortunately, I will no longer have my wonderful stove and oven...

I don't know if it's healthy, but I buy those Marie Callender's meals. They're pretty big portioned and are around 400 or so calories depending on what you buy. Pretty cheap too.

You can actually cook almost anything in a microwave as long as it cooks throughly. It's not the best way to make food, but it does work.

Flora88
09-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Note: With microwaveable food WATCH THE F*CK OUT FOR SODIUM CONTENT!

That's all. :)

distantarray
09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Note: With microwaveable food WATCH THE F*CK OUT FOR SODIUM CONTENT!

That's all. :)

This and saturated/trans fat.