PDA

View Full Version : Touhou Project

Onitheris
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I know there have been a few posts about this in the past, but a lot of them are question or costume specific or rather old. I think Touhou is big enough to warrant its own thread so I wanted to make one for it, not just a specific question or topic but an all things Touhou cosplay thread.

So, any Touhou cosplayers out there? Any experiences with a Touhou group or getting recognized from this somewhat obscure (in the US) series?

While I haven't cosplayed form it yet, being a guy there's not a lot of options for me but I am planning a Rinnosuke Morichika costume, as its my only Touhou cosplay option without crossplaying.

Enjiko
08-12-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm a Touhou cosplayer!! ^^ I've been to 2 gatherings at the cons I go to. The newer characters aren't recognized as much. At AX 09 I cosplayed Yukari, and I think about more than 100 people knew who I was dressed as. But this year I went as Byakuren and only about 20 knew who I was cosplaying.

MewAngel
08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
YES.

This was a needed thread. I cosplay Udonge.

at my first con (only con i've been to) I was recognized by a grand total of 1. :3

EvanKrell
08-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I too am planning a Rinnosuke cosplay for the same reason.

At Otakon, I saw much more Touhou cosplayers than I predicted. There were at least 2 Reimus, and Alice, Marisa, Ayu, 2 Rinnosukes, Meiling, Chen (I think?), Momiji, Hatate, and others.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4868481981_df7381e95b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakatanuki/4868481981/)
Momiji + Ayu + Hatate, Touhou by Evan Krell, on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakatanuki/4868481981/)

Onitheris
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
The conventions I go to are relatively small. Two cons a year, at one that had about 1000 people I saw one Marisa cosplayer, and at a 3000 person con there was a Reimu and a Marisa (I think it was the same girl as the other con)

They were extremely happy someone knew who they were, as I got the impression I was one of the only ones. I hope I can actually find them again when I go as Rinnosuke.

Zombii
08-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I've done Touhou cosplay for two years, my first being Suika Ibuki and my second being Ichirin Kumoi(with Unzan, of course). Both cosplays were done for Anime Boston, which is generally a good sized con. I did Suika back in 2009, and I was fairly recognized. However, at AB '10, when me and my buddy did Ichirin and Unzan, we were recognized ALOT. Pictures and recognition EVERYWHERE. It was awesome!

Also, the same friend that did Unzan also cosplayed as ZUN. So I dunno if that counts for anything, but I felt like sharing that!

Anywho, even though I'm not doing any Touhou cosplay this year, I'm interested in doing Kogasa, Nue, or Mokou at some point in the future. Maybe. :U

Citron_Tetley
08-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I cosplay Rumia! One of their easier Touhou cosplays to do truthfully, I bought the pieces at the thrift store but made the hair piece and tie.

At Anime North there were a lot of Reimu's! A few of Marisa and some other ones. There's this really awesome guy who cosplays Youmu that I got pictures with at a smaller con. There was a some crossplays of Suika, Flandre and Sakuya at AN, and I have to hand it to the last two who were wearing heels bigger than mine.

I'm thinking of doing Aya next since I have the red contacts for Rumia. I'll just die my hair instead of buying a new wig though. The wings.. ugh...

inu.matto
08-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I cosplay Reimu! And since my country is small I'm the first grand Reimu of Lithuania. Sounds solemnly. And I have a team of four with me: Sakuya, Marisa, Aya and Momiji. I'm not sure if anyone will recognize us, but it's going to be fun, we have so many on-stage performances planned for our CON, which is only 5 days away~! ^^

Citron_Tetley
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Its okay, I'm the only Rumia around and people don't know who I am! You gotta beat the first boss to continue the game! ;w;

Is the Aya cosplay difficult? I make my own -coughwatchasmyfriendmakesitcough- or thrift store it. And I love her little hat.

Patchy-chan
08-19-2010, 06:23 AM
I cosplay Touhou characters. :) I'm working on three right now. I've cosplayed Patchouli, who is my favorite! <3

For this fall I'm planning Suwako, Hina, and possibly Cirno.

I was actually recognized at my con as Patchy. :D This made me so happy because I didn't think anyone in Idaho really knew about Touhou.

Onitheris
08-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Its okay, I'm the only Rumia around and people don't know who I am! You gotta beat the first boss to continue the game! ;w;

Is the Aya cosplay difficult? I make my own -coughwatchasmyfriendmakesitcough- or thrift store it. And I love her little hat.

I think an Aya cosplay has the potential to be AMAZING if you make actual wings out of black feathers, I've always wanted to see that,

MewAngel
08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm bringing Reisen to MizuCon~

I hope she's recognized! Too bad I have no wig. DX

Citron_Tetley
08-20-2010, 10:50 PM
I plan to buy the wings, you usually can get them during Halloween. I had some but they fell apart since they were given away for free at a con

Onitheris
09-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I bought most of the fabric I need for my Rinnosuke cosplay, I found some really nice microsuede cloth for his robe/shirt thing. Now I have to find a way to make his shirt with two different fabric colors sewn together.

everfeather
09-06-2010, 05:52 PM
we've got a decent group going for AWA anywhere from 6-12ish people.

My first cosplay was Brokuu and now i'm working on Bro Aya.

I don't crossplay them but instead I usually just do male versions of the characters.

XxAChanxX
09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm a Tenshi Hinanai cosplayer :] I would love to meet up with some touhou cosplayers @ Snafu Con in oct :3

kohime
09-11-2010, 02:00 AM
i do touhou
Nuff said x33
Cramming in my shikieiki with a week before the con.
@A@ TATSUKETE!

Onitheris
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
My wig for Rinnosuke arrived the other day. It is REALLY nice. It wasnt' a character wig or anything, just a similarly lengthed white wig but the material feels like real hair and its very thick, very pleased with it. Thankfully his wig donen't require much styling, just a bit of a cut and it'll be all ready.

UsagiNoSenshi
09-30-2010, 12:12 PM
I've done Reisen in the past and I'm currently working on SWR Yukari. Sooo many ruffles @_@

Okuu
10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
we've got a decent group going for AWA anywhere from 6-12ish people.

My first cosplay was Brokuu and now i'm working on Bro Aya.

I don't crossplay them but instead I usually just do male versions of the characters.

Thats pretty much what I do as well, I'm partly done with my own Brokuu cosplay (pants, wings and partially with the third leg) I've also met a grand total of four Touhou cosplayers, all at my first con ever :sunny:
By the way how did you make that red eye? I seriously have no idea how to pull that off :confused:

Onitheris
10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Touhou is the first series that has made me think of doing a male version of a girl character, obviously because there are a hell of a lot more female characters than male, 99:1 ratio about.

The one I considered doing was a male Youmu. Instead of a skirt just have green slacks. I would still keep a vest but instead of a bowtie I would use a regular tie. Obviously no frills at the end of the white shirt I'd use a button down shirt, perhaps a bandana with short white slightly spiky hair.

For now though I'll stick with doing Rinnosuke Morichika.

Okuu
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah Youmu is fairly simple to make a genderswap of, mostly due to her color scheme, and thats pretty much what I'm doing for my okuu costume. Utsuho has so many bloody accesories though: Wings, eye, "third leg", cape and concrete foot, well as soon as the pants are done it will at least be half recognisable seeing as I've already done the wings.

Maria Neige
10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Cosplayed Marisa in the past

Pretty easy getup IMO.The only problem I faced was my eye makeup didn't make my eyes bigger.D8

ShadowWind70
10-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I actually noticed that people are beginning to recognize them here in AX, they were even featured in a skit in the masquerade! It was great I may add as well

10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I might be cosplaying as Rinnosuke soon, but im woried that no one will know who he is.

Onitheris
10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Bah, don't worry about no one knowing who you are. Even if they don't that doesn't mean the costume isn't good. I'll be cosplayig him and fully expect to be recognized by no one, I'm cosplaying as other characters that are very obscure and still had fun doing it.

ShadowWind70
10-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Planning on makeing a Genderswapped Sakuya, Im planning to go to AX10 so i have plenty of time and can try to get use of as many resources as necessary!

Here are some pictures I found, not sure what the design should be, but I kinda Like the long tailed coats, Im planning on taking whatever style and then adding Sakuya's color scheme, and certain features and characteristics of her design (Like the roman Numerals on her apron, and the "Red Magic" on her sleeve)
Butler Styles:
http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=...view&id=119395
http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=...view&id=370439
http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=...view&id=390112
http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=...view&id=236565

Sakuya Genderswapped (Ideas?)
http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=...=view&id=68884
http://www.safebooru.org/index.php?p...view&id=347162

Im still on square one and completely lost and little experience with cosplaying, but Im willing to put as much effort as it takes to make this a success!

Enjiko
10-15-2010, 10:38 PM
;~; I'm mad at my Byakuren cosplay. I need to fix it, it doesn't look good...... I don't think I want to wear it in January anymore.
I'll just wear my new Yukari dress.

Liz Nightbug
10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm an Atlanta Touhou cosplay- I have a Koishi, a Ran my friend made for me, aaaand I'm making a Byakuren for MomoCon. whoooo

Navox
10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey, I'm starting a Advent Letty cosplay for Anime North next year (I was Wriggle this year in case anyone was wondering.), so I thought I might as well start early, I already got my sword, pants, and skirt ready. But here's a few questions that I need some info on:

What kind of hat is Letty wearing and how I should I make it?
How should I make the inner an outer jackets?
And how should I make the shoulder armor? Out of craft foam or something else?

Also, here's 2 reference shots :V
http://i55.tinypic.com/nguiw2.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2eo8yzl.jpg

marshmallowpie
10-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I've cosplayed Reisen. :'D I want to do others, but there are too many choices!

Also, I really wish I could see other Touhou cosplayers at cons... I was recognised by a few people as Reisen, and this one guy at a vendor table said he thought he might have saw another Touhou cosplayer, though I never saw them, whoever they were.

OldestAngel
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
:D Going to cosplay Mystia at Aki-con on November 5-7 along with my friend as Cirno.

We might have a Wriggle for a later convention, but we really wanted all of team (9). It's my first time cosplaying Touhou, but I'm excited. :D

her_oathkeeper
10-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm intending to cosplay as Rumia come next con. D: I don't sew very well, so I figured something simple like her outfit was doable for me.

kohime
10-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Momiji is going to be all over Youmacon next weekend! Look for me! LOL
Also doing a haloween marisa!!!

Enjiko
10-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Momiji is going to be all over Youmacon next weekend! Look for me! LOL
Also doing a haloween marisa!!!

I'm cosplaying Marisa for Halloween too! :)

kohime
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm cosplaying Marisa for Halloween too! :)

LOL MARISA BUDDIES! C:

XingCai
11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
My Reimu is almsot done followed by making Eirin. Going to make a couple non touhou things before making my Suika and other eventual stuff. Prolly going to make touhou fortress versions of a few of mine as well :3

Alucardalina
11-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm a touhou cosplayer with a huge goal.
I want to cosplay all of the humanoid touhou characters. =3
Also, i want to do a ton of PC98 characters since I find myself playing those more than the windows games.

OldestAngel
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm intending to cosplay as Rumia come next con. D: I don't sew very well, so I figured something simple like her outfit was doable for me.

I bet it will be awesome! :D Can't wait to see your Rumia! Practice practice and more practice? Who knows? ^^

kohime
11-08-2010, 05:59 PM
My next cosplay is Nazrin! :3

UsagiNoSenshi
11-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I just finished Yukari!
Who's next?! I'm thinking maybe Keine? maybe ex-Keine just to be diffrent XP

Onitheris
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Just got back from fabric store buying things for Rinnosuke costume. The issue I was worrying about was making the triangle zig zag around his collar and how to sew something like that on. What I'm planning on doing is getting white fabric and sticking it to a fusible material that has a temporarily stickiness to it. Then, you can iron that on for a permanent stick so I'll slimply stick the backing to whtie fabric, cut out trianges, and iron on.

Alucardalina
11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I plan on cosplaying Kaguya before the end of the year. =3

aoikotora
11-15-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm thinking about cosplaying either Satori or Chen at ALA, Fanime, and AX this year. :D

CapriciousThief
11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Aww man, you guys should have been at FanimeCon this year, it was pretty much TouhouCon. I cosplayed Suika there (surprisingly the only one) and the turn-out was just huge. It was sad when we were taking game-group pictures though; Murasa was the only one cosplaying from UFO. xD

Almost as addicting as the Touhou series itself, cosplaying it seems the same way. Once you cosplay one character, you can't help but do another right? Next on my list is Nitori and Yamame, and hopefully later down the line Yuuka and Patchouli.

Onitheris
11-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Well unfortunately as a guy I don't really have the option of cosplaying multiple characters, just Rinnosuke, but I'm working hard on it, some really nice, albeit expensive fabric and everything.

I was actually thinking of another male cosplay potential, Myouran Hijiri - Byakuren's younger brother. Now, he's dead and all and they never show a picture of him but he seems to be the closest option for another male character. I figure his costume though would have to be made up, some kind of gender swap of Byakuren or similar design as I figure two characters related like that would have similar clothes.

Overall though the best thing about Touhou cosplay has been the friends I've made. I ran a Touhou panel at the last convention I was at and saw a few Touhou cosplayers I made sure to tell to stop by my panel, which they did. It was a pretty good sucess I think and afterwards I just talked with the three of them for like an hour afterwards just talking about Touhou and other things, we exchanged information and we've kept in touch so the Touhou cosplays have brougt us togheter, woot!

celery
11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Well unfortunately as a guy I don't really have the option of cosplaying multiple characters, just Rinnosuke,...

Needs more guy characters(or more tomboyish dressers)!

I'm okay with heels, but this will be my first wearing a skirt along with deliciously exposed armpits (-_-;)

Sidenote: Playing Touhou is the only game that makes me scream cries of agony, worry, and delight all at once XD

Onitheris
11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, I did actually think of doing some genderbend costumes, because I do want more options. I'm thinking now of doing a genderbend Utsuho costume. I would effectively just turn the skirt into same colored slacks, and have a non-poofy dress shirt instead of some blouse. Then of course just short hair and a bandanna instead of a ribbon/bow.

HeartlessNobody
11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I plan on cosplaying Sakuya next year. I've actually managed to gather enough friends to cosplay everyone from EoSD. With the exception of most mid-bosses. C: I'm super excited for the group, I can't wait. C:

kohime
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
I made my boyfriend cosplay a genderbent Aya, You can do genderbents!
I have a mountain of faith in you! :3