PDA

View Full Version : Please be kind .///.

kenshin-chan64
08-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Well, Iíve seen other amateur photographers post in here, so Iím going to tell my embarrassed self to suck it up and post here.
These shots were done either by me or with auto timer (that one should be obvious). I also tried to adjust/play with them in photoshop a bit.

So *gulp* lay it out to me >///<

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/kenshin-chan64/cosplay/tree.png

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/kenshin-chan64/cosplay/dark.png

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/kenshin-chan64/cosplay/corner.png

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/kenshin-chan64/cosplay/bro.png

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af206/kenshin-chan64/cosplay/apple.png

brucer007
08-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Asking for honest feedback is quite courageous of you, and it could be very helpful to improve your craft.

Your first image has a good concept in that you gave her an action to do ( poking out from behind a tree, holding a flashlight). I also appreciate that she did not look at the camera, giving you a more candid, "involved-in-the-scene" look.

The facial expression seems rather blank. The time of day seems much too bright for a flashlight to be useful. There is too much background and foreground. Cropping in closer will make for a stronger composition.

Your second photo has good body language and emotions, conveying being frightened and vulnerability. The dark background and the chain fence add to this effect. I like the shadow over-lapping her skirt. It helps connect me to the danger, and guides my eyes into the photo. The camera being above her, looking down at her, adds to her vulnerability even more.

In your third photo, the action of you poking out from behind a wall is more believable this time, since I see fear in her face and her hand looks tense. Again, the composition is much wider than needed and could be benefitted by much tighter cropping. Reduce the head-room and the glaring bright wall significantely and you will have less distracting location elements.

The forth image has a classic back-to-back pose. The angles are somewhat flattering for both of you and also tell a potential story about the dynamics of your relationship. The taller girl seems more dominent and confident with her smug smirk, up-tilted shoulder, and hair off the face. The shorter girl seems more shy, being slightly behind the taller girl, turned more profile to the camera, with your hair more forward, concealing some of her face. Be careful of dark lines on the wall, coming from the top of your head. Crop half of the head-room for a better composition.

The final photo is a cute concept with a happy apple. The lighting on her face is not flattering. Use of a reflector or facing toward a bright building could fill in the shadows around her eyes and give them some wet sparkle. The sunlight on her nose is something to watch out for. This could be avoided by tilting her head down slightly, trying a different camera angle, turning her head, or different time of day, when the sun is not so high above.

Thanks for asking!

I look forward to seeing your progress.

kenshin-chan64
08-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Thank you very much for the input :)
The shorter model in all the pictures is actually my friend though, and I am the taller one in the duo shot. But that let's me know I need to work on communication with the cosplayer. I admit I am very shy about giving direction, as my usual choice of photography is nature, who you cant talk to ;) But again, I will just need to work on it.

I also appreciate the cropping suggestions. Though I did crop the majority of these photos, I know that I was nervous of cropping too much off and so left a little extra. So now I know~
A tip of using a bright building as a reflector is a wonderful tip, so thank you for that.

As far as the tree photo, I had no choice in the weather and could not control the sunlight. At least I think. Would there have been a setting I could have used on my camera to make it seem more like night? Or is there a good filter you know of I can use in Photoshop to make things darker, but not phony?

brucer007
08-13-2010, 05:22 AM
I apologize for my confusion about which person is you. It made more sense when I read it again.

When you crop a photo, or make any alterations of any kind, use "Save As" to change the file name, so you can keep the original. Then you won't be afraid to crop to your heart's content.

You can control sunlight by waiting until the lighting suits the situation, but your camera might not work well in low light.

Using day for night is a common practice in movies and photography. One of the tricks is to let sun come from behind your model and scenery, so it casts a bright rim of light on the edges. Under exposing in the camera by 1 or 2 fstops can help this effect. You might have an exposure compensation feature to make things darker while in automatic mode, or you can try manual settings.

You can also darken photos in photoshop.

Adding a blue cast will make the light seem light the moon is the source. Even though moonlight is not really blue to our eyes, blue is often perceived as the color of night in movies and photography.

Letting shadows be cast on the ground and walls can also help create a lower-key night effect. Trees can come in handy for this. Try letting light through the tree leaves light your model.

Avoid showing bright sky.

You can darken a sky using a polarizing filter. You must twist this filter like a steering wheel to create darkening effect. The darkening effect will work best 90 degrees from the sun, but not towards the sun.

kenshin-chan64
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh wow, lots of tips there! Thank you very much :)
Looks like I have some testing and practicing to do.

FiveRings
08-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Along with brucer's recommendations, you should usually try to shoot at eye level with your subject unless you're going for a specific look. You said you're the taller person there so the camera is always looking down on your subject. If you're shooting at wider angles, this will distort your subject's proportions.