PDA

View Full Version : invalid excuses to skipping a workout

distantarray
08-12-2010, 02:23 PM
1. car broke down, so RUN to the gym damn it! people run upto a few miles a the gym run there to warm up =p

2. I'm sore. your not sore all over! workout another muscle group

3. I have no money, you don't need money to workout ! moron

4. I don't know how to workout, www.google.com if your reading this post you have the power!!

5. I don't have the motivation! Honesty is great, but if you say you want to get in shape then do it, if you don't have the motivation STFU!! :P

6. I want to spend time with my bf/gf great relationships stay together cause they do things together, get the to the gym together with you, then hit the showers together after ;)

7. People often don't realize how out of shape they really are, because people generally see only what they want to see, (people who pose for the camera in myspace/facebook angles only etc and good lighting and photoshop) Watch VIDEOS of yourself to see where you are exactly, cause there's no way a video is going to have all myspace angles unless your really a moron.

8. I can't afford healthy foods! No you can't afford healthy foods you like to eat that you KNOW about. Plenty of good healthy foods you can cook and eat out there. Get off your butt and learn how to cook good healthy meals. Not only is this better for your health, it also increases your sex appeal by 10 points to the members of the opposite sex :love:, and even to people of the same sex as well :walkoff:

9. I don't have the shoes. So get off your butt and go get some! if you don't have any post on your facebook account can i borrow some workout shoes? =P

10. I can't miss this episode of HOUSE, it's called tivo, and even VCR had a magical red button that read (record) if you looked for it.

11. I was driving to the gym then found a little puppy on the side of the road, RUN him to the vet =P btw why were you DRIVING to the gym? Bike or run damn it! :angry:

There's probably more but all my attention span will allow for at the moment =p

Excuses are just excuses, just get over the and go out and do it. People are in this forum cause they want to get in shape, if not GTFO. I was borderline obese for probably 3-4 years then Just told myself I'm gonna change and just did it. Don't entertain the idea, just go do it. Talk is cheap, don't become a person that's made of all talk and no substance to back anything up.

Chihaku
08-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Here's a excuse I thought of. I don't know if you already have it or not.

Reason: The gym I go to has people much better shape than me or I have been picked on by those people before. (my top 3 excuses)

SamuriSmurfX
08-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Commenting on 9 - I'll often workout in my combat boots. You don't need gym/running shoes for the gym... in some cases you don't need shoes at all, wouldn't recommend dropping the weights though.

Chirudesu
08-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I think another excuse people make is they don't feel good exercising. Well...you don't feel good during, but after, you feel better, physically and mentally. I used to dread practice at school cuz of the running, I was the slowest and I'd get insulted in front of everyone for not being able to run fast like everyone else. I'd feel sick just walking ot the track, I do hate that uncomfortable feeling, especially running, but you just gotta try. Get comfortable being uncomfortable!
Yes, people make excuses. If anything, my lifelong excuse was I just didn't have the motivation. Cuz I didn't. But nowadays I have to just force myself to get up and go, cuz I don't ever recal regretting exercising. I do hate cardio of any kind, but it has to get done >__> My big issue was (is) exercising in public. Usually insults tend to flow, retards scream out of moving car windows to moo at you, and who needs to hear that when you're trying to better your situation? So I stayed indoors to exercise, and that's very limiting.
All in all, I say if people don't want to exercise, that's their choice. Oh well, others can enjoy their good health, but I can't dare wag my finger at the unhealty cuz well...I am. And it's none of my business anyway.

Rjr3412
08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
@Chiru - Keep it up, ignore the idiots. That dreading the gym and exhausted feeling is only something you get while still new at it. Pretty soon you'll feel miserable and twitchy if you don't get to the gym. Its all about building the habit.

One of my worst personal excuses - It's leg day today, and I want to be able to move tomorrow ....

Jia Jem
08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I have three days to finish this costume.... work out, or not finish costume? D:

And then: I just got back from the con! Gotta have some days off to relax! Besides, I barely ate anything the whole weekend... and walked around the convention center... that's exercise, right?

........These two excuses keep me from exercising pretty much all the time, considering how often I travel. It's a shame.

Kasinator
08-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Here is a bunch of excuses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

DireKitty
08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Here is a bunch of excuses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

I don't think he mentioned this one: It's *that* time of the month....

/grin

Although, it's not so much of an excuse, more of a debilitating illness that strikes once a month...

distantarray
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I have three days to finish this costume.... work out, or not finish costume? D:

And then: I just got back from the con! Gotta have some days off to relax! Besides, I barely ate anything the whole weekend... and walked around the convention center... that's exercise, right?

........These two excuses keep me from exercising pretty much all the time, considering how often I travel. It's a shame.

excuse is still an excuse, if you REALLY wanted to workout, even 20-30minutes with FULL intensity is enough. Chances are if you have time to post on the internet you have time to work out =)

Epiphanous
08-13-2010, 09:46 PM
excuse is still an excuse, if you REALLY wanted to workout, even 20-30minutes with FULL intensity is enough. Chances are if you have time to post on the internet you have time to work out =)

True true; I think sometimes our standards of a workout can hold us back from doing it, too. Some people don't consider a workout a real workout unless it's at least an hour and they've sweat enough to soak the clothes they were wearing. Even if I'm sick, I'll at least do something that I know is going to benefit my body without straining it: stretching is a good example, and it gets pretty undervalued.

If you're into the idea, try this: whenever you're sitting around watching TV, try touching your toes, doing the butterfly splits, etc.

Like Rjr said, once you build up the habit, working out will REALLY feel good.

distantarray
08-13-2010, 09:48 PM
True true; I think sometimes our standards of a workout can hold us back from doing it, too. Some people don't consider a workout a real workout unless it's at least an hour and they've sweat enough to soak the clothes they were wearing. Even if I'm sick, I'll at least do something that I know is going to benefit my body without straining it: stretching is a good example, and it gets pretty undervalued.

If you're into the idea, try this: whenever you're sitting around watching TV, try touching your toes, doing the butterfly splits, etc.

Like Rjr said, once you build up the habit, working out will REALLY feel good.

well it all depends how dedicated you are to the idea, most people just entertain the idea and never follow through, Like for instance my favorite bodybuilder of all time Mike Mentzer only worked out 20-30minutes A WEEK. Although i don't have the determination or the motivation to pump out EVERY MUSCLE GROUP TO FAILURE in that time XD

SamuriSmurfX
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that my last con (7 days) I got four full workouts in. Con itself, did not get in my way.

Epiphanous
08-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that my last con (7 days) I got four full workouts in. Con itself, did not get in my way.
Wow, congratulations and good job :D That's impressive ^_^

distantarray: I agree - I've seen people do the same and it can be kind of frustrating watching them NOT do anything about it.

I don't follow body builders, but that's craaaaazy o_o

distantarray
08-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow, congratulations and good job :D That's impressive ^_^

distantarray: I agree - I've seen people do the same and it can be kind of frustrating watching them NOT do anything about it.

I don't follow body builders, but that's craaaaazy o_o

since you don't follow let me link up a picture XD

http://www.highintensitynation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mike-m-autograph-photo-240x300.jpg

body of a man who worked out only 30minutes A WEEK O_O

that just shows you the potential of someone who knows what they're doing when they're dedicated enough. I'm pretty sure he was genetically gifted as well since his brother was also a huge bodybuilder, and especially since genetically gifted people in building muscle tend to have heart problems. He got into building for health reasons since his family had struggle with men with burgers disease. Most men in his family never lived last early 40's at best. He lived til he was 49.

Tabby Catty
08-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think he mentioned this one: It's *that* time of the month....

/grin

Although, it's not so much of an excuse, more of a debilitating illness that strikes once a month...

Well, excercise helps reduce PMS and other symptoms and gets more oxygen flowing to your body. Invest in a menstrual cup, they hold much more blood than tampons and are perfect for working out. Do some research and if you choose to buy one like myself, you will never want to go back. There is a huge livejournal community about them and I would recommend them for any woman, especially the physically active types.

If you are also that debilitated, you might want to go see a doctor because nobody should suffer through such pain.

Chocolahime
08-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Why do people have to use euphemisms for functions of the human body?
Periods as an excuse for not doing something, anything, is ridiculous. If someones period is 'debilitating' or feels bad enough that it feels at all similar to an 'illness' you need to go to a doctor.

:D It's funny how much you hear these excuses, especially the ones that sound so absolutely illogical.

Kasinator
08-14-2010, 05:07 PM

http://www.highintensitynation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mike-m-autograph-photo-240x300.jpg

that just shows you the potential of someone who knows what they're doing when they're dedicated enough. I'm pretty sure he was genetically gifted as well since his brother was also a huge bodybuilder, and especially since genetically gifted people in building muscle tend to have heart problems. He got into building for health reasons since his family had struggle with men with burgers disease. Most men in his family never lived last early 40's at best. He lived til he was 49.

R.I.P. Mike Mentzer. A bodybuilder, humanitarian and intellectual who reinvented the wheels of fitness. But genetics got the better of him.

distantarray
08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Why do people have to use euphemisms for functions of the human body?
Periods as an excuse for not doing something, anything, is ridiculous. If someones period is 'debilitating' or feels bad enough that it feels at all similar to an 'illness' you need to go to a doctor.

:D It's funny how much you hear these excuses, especially the ones that sound so absolutely illogical.
if I hear an excuse I won't accept anything but "i'm lazy" then I respect that cause it's just pure honesty, having no time or money is just excuses

Brand
08-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Is sleep a valid excuse? I ask because I work out every day for at least an hour, high intensity. On my days off I workout for 2-3 hours and run at least 6 miles.

Occasionally I will skip a workout on days that I work, because I hadn't slept for a day or 2. IMO sleep is important for recovery and I don't really think it would be too beneficial to work my body again when I hadn't slept at all since my last workout.

So its actually a bit of a question, should I take a day to rest after not sleeping for a while or is it better to work out anyway? Also my reason for lack of sleep is kinda an uncontrollable circumstance and I can't really change it sans meds.

Epiphanous
08-14-2010, 06:42 PM

WHAAAAAAT?!?! O.O

That's sooooooooo insane...I wonder what he was doing the rest of the week? But you're right, dedication and consistency are wonderful things in the world of health ^_^ Although some of the most physically amazing people die really young - that story reminded me of Bruce Lee, though in his case I'm pretty sure it had something to do with brain failure.

DevTehFiend
08-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm sick, atm, and would LOVE to use that as an excuse to be as lazy as possible... but I can't. My friend is out of town and I'm dog sitting her INSANELY high energy Goldy that needs walks at least twice a day or he starts trying to eat things he shouldn't. Every time I sneeze he jumps on me and tries to catch it. Stupid dog. -_-

distantarray
08-15-2010, 03:18 AM
Is sleep a valid excuse? I ask because I work out every day for at least an hour, high intensity. On my days off I workout for 2-3 hours and run at least 6 miles.

Occasionally I will skip a workout on days that I work, because I hadn't slept for a day or 2. IMO sleep is important for recovery and I don't really think it would be too beneficial to work my body again when I hadn't slept at all since my last workout.

So its actually a bit of a question, should I take a day to rest after not sleeping for a while or is it better to work out anyway? Also my reason for lack of sleep is kinda an uncontrollable circumstance and I can't really change it sans meds.

Sleep is a huge part of working out, people don't realize it but when your sleeping your body actually has a rush of hormones to help repair and rebuild, skipping sleep can actually hurt your workouts pretty badly, but on the same token working out hard should help you sleep much faster. Personally I just take a pre-workout supplement even if I'm tired and go workout hard, I'll still have energy from the pre-workout so I'll usually cook a decent meal and eat then get to bed.

WHAAAAAAT?!?! O.O

That's sooooooooo insane...I wonder what he was doing the rest of the week? But you're right, dedication and consistency are wonderful things in the world of health ^_^ Although some of the most physically amazing people die really young - that story reminded me of Bruce Lee, though in his case I'm pretty sure it had something to do with brain failure.

Bruce Lee was crazy he worked out like 8 hours a day, his lats on itself was a work of marvel. Lat pull downs was his favorite workout and pull ups (basically samething) interesting thing his favorite drink was milk so he got a lot of protein, and he was one of the first to do supplements. He'd blend nasty shit together even steaks, chinese medicine etc he was just too much of a fitness fanatic for his own good.....

http://www.myclassiclyrics.com/artist_biographies/images/Bruce_Lee_Biography_2.jpg His lats are insane... The wings on his boy to give him that really great V upper body.

Compare his to say Jay Cutler Mr. Olympia

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XIsVie0is6o/Sbhfncs6XFI/AAAAAAAAACs/ZDNzw_U-j4w/s320/cutler+bodybuilder.jpg

Most bodybuilders get lats like this, not like bruce lee's fullness with length which is extremely rare. Perhaps it's an Asian thing? Hidetada Yamagishi is the biggest Asian bodybuilder at the moment.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mC1TEdZ4gks/SzsRD22KAXI/AAAAAAAAEec/qRaDnfL2z6g/s400/2007-mr-olympia-481-hidetada-yamagishi.jpg His lats are very well developed and long as well, but again his main focus is pull downs

I'm sick, atm, and would LOVE to use that as an excuse to be as lazy as possible... but I can't. My friend is out of town and I'm dog sitting her INSANELY high energy Goldy that needs walks at least twice a day or he starts trying to eat things he shouldn't. Every time I sneeze he jumps on me and tries to catch it. Stupid dog. -_-

Dogs are great cause it forces owners out of their house :) Love it!

Tabby Catty
08-15-2010, 10:14 AM

I know! When I get my own house, I want a little work-out buddy too! Walking your dog is great! Right now I have a little border terrier that loves going outside and it is great for both of us because she doesn't cause mischief due to pent-up energy.

DevTehFiend
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Don't I know it. I have a dog of my own, but she's a calm little Dachsy that doesn't need a lot of exercise, just a little attention.

There was this quote I saw somewhere, they said, "If your dog is overweight, you're not getting enough exercise." XD

I plan to get a big dog when I have a place of my own, mostly because I'm paranoid and would feel safe by myself with a dog with a nice, deep bark. Though the forcing me to exercise is a plus, as I have no motivation to move on my own. Right now my motivation is cosplay, but I'm worried that once I'm at my ideal size I'll fall into my lazy habits again. XD So have a dog would be GOOD motivation to move.