PDA

View Full Version : Grell's Doll

Ends Beginning
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
So I am going to try and make the the doll Grell is holding in This (http://otaku.lv/uploads/20081009_245_GrellSutcliff.png) picture. It kind of looks like Sebation. I'm just wondering what material to make the doll out of...
I was thinking of using yarn for the hair.

TrannyMess
08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm actually making a custom one of Grell right now for someone. I'll probably be making a Sebby one as well. I'm using muslin for the doll and hand embroidering the faces. Then I'm making wefts of yarn for the hair. I'm also using fabric that is the same color as the hair for the back of the head. It helps to make the hair look more full.

The doll will be sewn using a sewing machine and I'm adding darts so that it is more round. Then, I'm going back and adding stitching details with embroidery floss.

I drafted a pattern myself. If it works well, I'll take pictures and try to get the scanner working to scan the pattern.

Ends Beginning
08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Thats sounds cool. ^-^
I'm heading to the fabric store today so I was going to pick up some of the things I need to make this. I am going to a cosplay picnic soon and I can't bring my chainsaw so I thought that the doll would be a good replacement. ^-^

TrannyMess
08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I would try to scan the pattern tonight but I'm heading out to see Scott Pilgrim after work today. It's very simple, though. Just a circle with darts for the head, a kind of oval shape with darts for the body, and then pieces that look like the arms and legs.

Ends Beginning
08-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Ok thank you! :heart:

whitebeast
08-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I used felt for mine. I didn't do anything fancy for the pattern since it's supposed to look messy/ugly/made by an amateur.

Plus I did it rush in a week's time and couldn't leave the house so I just made do with what I had.

I didn't do the stuffing pouring out since I remembered our Grell was... well hyper. So stuffing all over the place with me fixing it while chasing him wasn't such a good idea. But I did give Sebas-chan a hanging limb by a thread. That was fun. xD

The pattern was basically shapes made to scale and then sewn together. I didn't bother hiding the neck part and purposedly made it really hurried.

If I were to redo the doll, I'd definitely do the hair with yarn. But I have no idea where to start. ^^;; Tips would be nice as well.

-sticking to this thread-

Though I was quite O_o over how rounded the doll is in a way in the picture but if you check the seams it looks very 2D. But our Grell said nah it's just the angle so no need to dart. So I just made the pattern big/fluffied enough as 2d plushiefying goes.

Ends Beginning
08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the input. ^-^ I'm a rather hyper Grell myself...so thiswill be fun for me to do while my finace (the undertaker) chases me around. XD